PDA

View Full Version : Idea: The removal of NPC vendors and a Neocron market

happyslinky
06-04-04, 10:35
The Idea:
- remove physical NPC vendors from the game
- create a universal (or city-wide?) market

How would it work?
- The market would allow players to place an item on sale, the sale could be set to last for a certain amount of time (from a day to a week sounds reasonable). The seller could log off and the item would still be available.
- NPC vendors would be completely removed, the developers would replace them with “NPC constructors and researchers” that wouldn’t physically exists in the game. They would put decent quality weapons and bps up for sale at set prices so players could always get something. As the player economy grew these npcs could be scaled back and possibly removed completely.
- BPs would have a quality, higher quality could require fewer parts, guarantee better stats or even a higher chance of slots. (This would be to differentiate player researchers from npcs, and reward specialization).

The benefits:
- Trade skilling would become economically viable at every level, with xp tweaking it could become a serious career path.
- Recycling becomes viable as a trade skill – finally. Ingredients can be bought from the market, turned into high level chemicals, drugs and food then sold for a profit.
- Salvaging would also become a serious trade skill
- The availability of items would increase dramatically. Having recently started a new character, this is a chief complaint of mine. Especially with the low server populations it is *extremely* difficult to get the items I need.
- Researchers are finally rewarded for specialization and given a bigger role

The market would be an excellent way to monitor and adjust the droprate / availability of items. There are a lot of hard to measure factors that go into the item-supply such as where people hunt, what items they keep, why they keep them etc. With a market it’s easy to see “ok there are way too many distance cpu 2’s out there, the price is very low compared to other level 2 imps” The developers could tweak the supply by cutting back or stopping npc production, or lowering the drop rate. On the other hand, if zerk 2’s start costing more than mc5 chips it should be obvious the developers need to increase the supply and quick.

amfest
06-04-04, 10:38
well i don't know about all NPCs but if you didn't know it's already planned for BDOY that there will be player run stores/npcs that you can give your items for sell to.

On another note I think all retail stores shoudl sell normal quality weapons and only Yo's vendors should sell poor or shabby weapons. That would work so you wouldnt' need these fake tradeskillers. But better weapons should only be made and sold by real players.

happyslinky
06-04-04, 10:47
hm i didnt know about the player stores idea. Will the item prices be dynamic and will the items still be up for sale when you log off?

The npc tradeskillers etc would just be a crutch to get the player economy rolling, im sure there would always be a few items that wouldnt get produced very often by players. In those few cases they would need to be "produced" by npcs just so people could buy them.

amfest
06-04-04, 10:58
I don't think things should be that easily handed to you. If you can't find it then go hunt for it. The prices will be what players select and yes they will stay whenyou log out . otherswise it would be almost pointless. Econmy? pfft econmy always gets screwed up. Eventually you run out of reasons to waste yourmoney and it just keeps on increasing and increasing .. then these players start throwing the money around in big amounts because they can. When player run stores come out there will be all sorts of ready made weapons, bps and such found in those stores. People won't have to just advertise on the ingame forum and wait till they are online. they will just sell their imps, wepaons, vehicle keys, apt keys or whatever in the player run shop NPCs.

athon
06-04-04, 11:53
I can defintiely see the possibility of only player run shops. However, I think that the player-run shops need to be introduced alongside first, and then see what happens from there. If you just remove the NPCs and there's nothing there to immediately take it's place then I can see it becoming impossibly hard, particularly for newbies, to find the weapons / equipment they want.

If the community wants only player-run shops then they will have to work at bringing the goods available to the player-run shops so that the NPC shops can be phased out.

Another problem I can see is the storylines - it will become harder for the devs to easily introduce new items into the shops.

Athon Solo

Lanigav
06-04-04, 11:56
The problem is that people who can't recycle ammo would have to completely rely on those who can, and you'd be unable to easily get a reference item for you to blueprint. You'd also have no way to unload your wares except for other players, which would really hurt those who mass construct non-rares to get good slotted items.

msdong
06-04-04, 21:06
we need player stores. and what we dont need imo is all selling NPC stores. ppl should be able to buy the places of vendors in every part of the NC World. like the new apps you should be able to buy a plaza 1 psi shop licence and remove one of the vendors and place his own shopkeeper there.

this adds some responcebility to the factions and their area of influence. its bad if they have shops that sell all kind of slotted weapons but no shop that sells chemicals.
but MJS say that there are no plans to remove the standart NPC traders and that the Player NPC Trader have their own zone :(

naimex
06-04-04, 21:50
I have a few questions I would like answered before I put my vote.. :

What do n00bs do who doesn´t know what to go for ?
What do n00bs do who doesn´t know what stuff is worth ?

and last but certainly not least....

How are you gonna get the initial items ?

msdong
06-04-04, 22:11
there have to be standart shops but with limited amount of items or items of minor quality. they can be put in faction HQ

Kenjuten
06-04-04, 23:34
..aand...when that limited supply runs out, new players can't be business people.

Jest
06-04-04, 23:38
Awesome idea if the server population was higher. Lets wait and see what Martin has in store for us with the vendors in BDoY but I say definitely bring the issue up again once BDoY is released. Its absolutely worth considering.

IceStorm
06-04-04, 23:47
The Idea:
- remove physical NPC vendors from the game
They already said no to this. I think it was MJS who posted it, but I don't have time to go searching for it.

Personally, I feel sorry for those who don't maintain a complete/almost complete BP inventory should this ever be implemented.

Oh, and the usual - NC is combat oriented, tradeskills are secondary, etc., etc., etc.