PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA Drivers ver. 56.72 Aprl. 1, 2004

FBI
06-04-04, 06:20
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_56.72 (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_56.72)

Although it was released 5 days ago and seeing how I check for updates every
three or so days because I'm a perfomance geek, I thought some of you should know
about the latest nvidia drivers as I usually do when they come out.

Release Highlights:
Adds support for GeForce 5700 and GeForce 5700 Ultra
Microsoft® DirectX® 9 and OpenGL® 1.5 support
Supports application profiles for custom image quality and performance modes for all of your applications and games.
NVIDIA nView 3.5 Multi-display technology
Advanced Microsoft® Internet Explorer® popup blocker
Industries only Display Gridlines technology
Improved HDTV Y Pr Pb component out support for 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i formats*
For a complete list of compatibility fixes please consult the v56.72 Release Notes below
April 2, 2004, 8:30AM PST: Updated kits to have correct WHQL logo.
There are also updates to the desktop manager and like it says above added
a nifty popup blocker which is very non intrusive, works great with my google
toolbar popup blocker.

The update is great so far, minor performance tweaks in some games, doesn't
seem to do anything for neocron... although nothing does ;)

I suggest getting these drivers in preparation for DoY.

Parad0x -FBI

Ryuben
06-04-04, 16:35
ta for the heads up

jernau
06-04-04, 16:57
"Industries only Display Gridlines technology" : I noticed this when I re-installed one of my PCs a week or so back - what is it?

(I know I could and should look it up myself but I'm feeling very very lazy today.)

Cytaur
06-04-04, 19:35
yeah, when they released the new drivers, I thought it was april's fool, but then I gave it a try and it was the real thing :)

kurai
06-04-04, 22:04
"Industries only Display Gridlines technology" : I noticed this when I re-installed one of my PCs a week or so back - what is it?

(I know I could and should look it up myself but I'm feeling very very lazy today.)Just allows you to divide the screen up into definable "snap-to" areas for resizable windows.

i.e. a halfway house between minimized/fully maximised, but within the bounds of a user defined area

Cruzbroker
06-04-04, 23:22
Tried the 2nd latest and it sucked, oh well on my card at least (gf4 4400)... Should I ....

Carinth
07-04-04, 00:37
I wonder if this one actualy works with Wolf ET. I havn't been able to update my drivers since version 43, which is over a year old. If I attempt to install any more recent drivers, then ET crashes. It's very consistant, as soon as I go back to 43, ET works fine. This is a pretty common problem, the only solution is to stick with 43. My faith in Nvidia has gone way down, next graphics card I get will most definitly be an ATI.

Glok
07-04-04, 00:44
My faith in Nvidia has gone way down, next graphics card I get will most definitly be an ATI.I got an ATI videocard recently, and it is great. Also, I got an nForce motherboard when I upgraded last year, and nVidia haven't released new drivers in almost a year, and it has numerous problems. I will never buy ANYTHING nVidia branded ever again.

Kenjuten
07-04-04, 01:38
As far as I understand, currently the only con for getting an ATI card over NVIDIA is that Final Fantasy XI supports NVIDIA. :rolleyes:

Organics
07-04-04, 01:45
Wonder if those drivers will work with my old old Geforce 2 MX card.

Probably not :D

jernau
07-04-04, 09:41
I got an ATI videocard recently, and it is great. Also, I got an nForce motherboard when I upgraded last year, and nVidia haven't released new drivers in almost a year, and it has numerous problems. I will never buy ANYTHING nVidia branded ever again.The last NForce driver update was November. Six months is not that long a gap for mobo drivers unless there are major issues.

I've used a load of NForce 2 boards and would say they are excellent. The performance is amazing and I've had no technical issues of note.

I recently got to bench test a large range of the more recent ATI cards and they still have far more issues than NVidia. Mostly I suspect they are in the drivers but there are just so many of them and ATI's record on drivers is so miserable I wouldn't dream of spending my own money on one.

Luckily I doubt I'll need a new card for a while yet so I can wait for them both to sort their act out.

@Organics - Yes they will. My server has a GF2 in it.

Bragvledt
07-04-04, 14:53
I'm sticking with 4345, all the newer ones give me slower performance. So what if I can't see Blipflop Tripazoid Shadowblips with Full Anti-Glukaquads, I don't mind. :lol: