PDA

View Full Version : Reputations...

~Drav~
06-04-04, 01:21
hokay

Ive had 1 bad reputation added already heh...

The message on the bad rep mark was 'Swearing is bad hmmkay'

Thats really nice to know. Yet in the thread that I got the rep mark added, all I said was ':D old bastard :D'

now does someone out there really consider that offensive or even as a 'bad' swear word. In half the posts in this forum there is alot of swearing, alot. so is everyone getting these bad rep marks or just me because its some prick thinking their funny ?

Im not being vein or anything because i know that the rep markins are a bit of a joke anyway but they are a joke because of people that make marks like that when imo its irrelevant. Now, thing is, we are able to disable them, and what ive noticed is that a few of the people who in my opinion are generally the shit stirrers are already the first to turn off the reputation feature, probably knowing full well that they will end up with bad marks. Does this disable their ability to post marks on other peoples reputations ? or are they still able to. They shouldnt in my opinion but hey, thats just me...

From what i gather, just about anyone thats a registerd user can place these marks. Is it possible to make it so that they can only place a certain ammount of marks a day/week, or to limit to 1 rep comment you can make on another user in a certain period yet still comment on other peoples ? Not sure if works like this but I can see it coming if it does, Person A gets in a argument with person B, Person A wins with valid constructed points, person B is a bit peeved at it, B then goes thru all his posts and marks him down, and keeps an eye out on him and marks him down in further posts 'to get his own back'

What about forum usergroups ? Maybe after being registerd after a certain period of time _and having a clean(ish) rap sheet_ can they be added to this usergroup, I dont see any eliteism in this however it does mean that the people that are calm on the forums, constructive etc, know most the people and dont make hasty judgements will be able to make the votes etc on others and get a kinda more realistic outcome on peoples rep status. Over time that is...

Im still not sure if i like the rep system, i certainly dont like the fact that some users can disable theirs from showing...

Benjie
06-04-04, 01:24
a few of the people who in my opinion are generally the shit stirrers are already the first to turn off the reputation feature, probably knowing full well that they will end up with bad marks.
I have turned off my reputation feature, and I do not consider myself as a shit stirrer.
At least I try my best not to since I am on my final warning.

I just think the whole thing is very immature.

This reputation thing might make editing peoples reputation out of spite a taboo, therefore forcing the immature people in the community to grow up a little.

~Drav~
06-04-04, 01:29
I have turned off my reputation feature, and I do not consider myself as a shit stirrer.
At least I try my best not to since I am on my final warning.

I just think the whole thing is very immature.I didnt even notice yours was turned off lol, im referring to someone that in a thread posted something to me that really pissed me off and i could see it pissed others off, basically as they were after 'their perfect game' rather then a better game that covers a few genres for all, really self centred and then flamed anyone and everyone that posted anything that wasnt like what HE wants, not a constructive poster imo, then I realised that hes disabled it, I imagine that its because he has seen that he has recieved bad marks and thought fuck that, and dsiabled it...

[€] Stop editing your damn posts so fast ! :D

Benjie
06-04-04, 01:32
What about the people that go out of there way to get a negetive reputation? In my experience, they are split into two groups of very constructive people, and constructive people wannabe's who inevitably end up pissing people off.

I can imagine Marx (who I respect 100%) asking people to mark his reputation down, as he is a very image conscious person on this forum. Yet he has contributed to this game and it's community in many ways, deffinetly not who you would call a shit stirrer.

*edit*
I have just noticed I have his quote in my signature, damn. He's gonna think I'm stalking him. :p

Scikar
06-04-04, 01:36
This post (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?p=1323851#post1323851)was deemed worthy of bad rep by someone, who posted the comment 'arogance'. No doubt whoever posted the comment will see this and give me another bad rep.

But I've received many more positive comments which I think counteract it. Also DaFire posted that the rep system will be reviewed in a week and reps reset. After that the poster's name will be added to the comments as well. I suggest adding a minimum character count to the rep post, and if possible a function where they can be moderated (e.g. if someone is flamed via rep comment or repeatedly harassed with bad rep from one person which is unjustified). Perhaps even making all rep comments subject to approval by a mod, though this could greatly increase the mods' workload. But if say 50% were subject to mod's approval, and you don't know if it's sent or not, then that might be enough to stop people harassing via rep comment.

Besides you can disable it anyway if it bothers you. :p

~Drav~
06-04-04, 01:37
What about the people that go out of there way to get a negetive reputation? In my experience, they are split into two groups of very constructive people, and constructive people wannabe's who inevitably end up pissing people off.

I can imagine Marx (who I respect 100%) asking people to mark his reputation down, as he is a very image conscious person on this forum. Yet he has contributed to this game and it's community in many ways, deffinetly not who you would call a shit stirrer.

*edit*
I have just noticed I have his quote in my signature, damn. He's gonna think I'm stalking him. :pYea well Marx is a 'special case' and everyone knows that :p ;)

[€] You make a good poin there scikar, thats what I mean, however by no means should the moderators have to clear every single one, Just put a Report link next to each one if you think your being harassed by a particular poster or are getting abuse through them as their kinda masked from everyone else.

I personally think putting peoples names on them is a bad thing, that will only lead to irrelevant revenge marks and rivalries...

Benjie
06-04-04, 01:44
This post (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?p=1323851#post1323851)was deemed worthy of bad rep by someone, who posted the comment 'arogance'. No doubt whoever posted the comment will see this and give me another bad rep.
Perhaps the person had a problem with the fact that you asumed he was a Hetrosexual. I mean you did, right? Not at all suggestiong that he is or isn't. Perhaps he had a problem with the uselessness of your post, as it contained nothing that could be considered as "constructive", but then again these kind of posts are what defines the community forums as a community, instead of a team of developers, compainers and critics.

If you think about every little whim that could cause a person to change someones reputation, you have to consider the intrasys of the modern human personality. In a community of over a thousand members, someone is going to have a problem with some of the things you say. Even if you are as good as gold.

By the way Drav, I was the one who gave you a negative reputation for the initial thread, but only because I know it's being reset. I thought you should know that.

:)

Scikar
06-04-04, 01:48
It doesn't assume he's a heterosexual though. MrChumble thought there were two girls in the bed, I was merely explaining that Rade wasn't a girl. I just tried to do it in a half-funny way, and one that wouldn't make him look too stupid like "OFMG RADES A GURL NIB!!oneoneoeneone!"

Anyway that's beside the point I guess. I don't think you should be able to give a black mark to someone without a comment though - the whole point is that you have an issue with that post, so surely it would make sense to point that out to the poster in order for them to avoid doing the same thing in future?

Benjie
06-04-04, 02:04
It doesn't assume he's a heterosexual though.
From my perspetive it does, although I have learnt that people see things in different ways. Something to take into consideration whilst wondering why somebody gave you bad marks.

Perhaps it was Rade who gave you the bad reputation, who just had a problem with you telling the community that he is male, despite the fact that his avatar is female.
There are so many reasons that people could have a problem with what you said.
Take a look at this post. Rade could mark it down for suggesting that he altered your reputation. You could mark it down because I fortified something I already said, when it could be argued that it was uneccisary.
This is just a generic post, like all the others.

There is a reason to be paranoid now. Think before you post, or else you will be judged.
I am beggining to like this reputation system, although not in it's unrefined state.

Jesterthegreat
06-04-04, 02:47
i think ill hate this rep thing... but ill leave it turned on

just seems like a popularity contest again :rolleyes:

Kenjuten
06-04-04, 06:09
mm, yeah. It does seem like a little waste, especially if it doesn't mean anything in the long run.

On the other hand, I see numerous people disable reputation...I'd like to hear from those that did so, why they turned reputation off on their end...

Cuz unfortunately, and I'll ADMIT it, the only reason I can see that people turn it off is that they're afraid of the glowing red dot. And to top it all off, it means jack shit if you're green or red.

Marx
06-04-04, 06:24
The reputation thing does nothing other than change the color of your dot, so I guess to most its not really that important. I personally envy J.Folsom and his grey-on-the-way-to-red dot.

:(

edit - I thought it had been shut down, but nay, the button just switched spots. =P

Shadow Dancer
06-04-04, 06:38

My thoughts as well. Although I have forgotten to turn it back off after turning it on a sec. lol

I just think the whole thing is very immature.

I agree. Like I said, this isn't some silly high school cafeteria. And that's what it feels like with the rep system. I had gotten low rep because my avatar made someone sexually frustrated according to them. Ahhh. What a beautiful system......not. If someone thinks your post is negative because they disagree with the idea, then you lose rep. That's........stupid. There's no other way to describe it. Why would you lose reputation just because someone thinks your post is negative? "Hrmmm, I'm not sure if BDOY will be coming out in time" ONOZ LOSSES OF REPUTASHION STATIS! :rolleyes:

Btw you can only disable whether or not people see your reputation. You can't make it so that other people can't give you reputation. So you can't truely disable it. It does fluctuate alot though. I go from 8-12-9-16 etc...

If this high-schoolish rep system is going to stay, it should be like post counts. Basically have no effect whatsoever. To make it worse, it's anonymous. "omg, did you see what Stacey was wearing? Like omg". That's what comes to mind.

I'm such a fool, at first I thought the rep system was gonna be something like a little non offensive mini title for people given by other people. Like Rade would get "abuser of rayguns!!!", or I would get "parashock target" or something humorous like that. :p

lol

I bet out of spite someone will mark this post negative. :D

Original monk
06-04-04, 09:08
i only have 1 reputation comment until now :)

its says: miserable twat ...

is that a good or a bad thing LOL :P

think its someone that couldnt cope with the fact that he wasnt really correct in everything he was saying, got corrected on the forums and got a bit frustrated due to that :)

luckely i reacted immediatly by sending a nice message back :) (nah, nothing bad)

its fun, 2 bad ya cant see who posted it: but 9 outta 10 ya allready know in advance lol :P

weird reputations ... i also think i gonna turn it of, but i want 1 nice comment first :P

Nightbrother
06-04-04, 09:38
OT: Where do you see the comments you have received regarding reputation?

/edit: Marx, I'll give you all the bad rep you want, just say the word. ;)

Original monk
06-04-04, 10:16
OT: Where do you see the comments you have received regarding reputation?

/edit: Marx, I'll give you all the bad rep you want, just say the word. ;)

left upperconrer: user CP

edit: w00t : i got my first nice comment :P (we wub j00 they said :P)

Nightbrother
06-04-04, 10:20
I looked there already. No mention of reputation under any of the menu points there. Hmmm, odd.

/edit aaaah, ok, thanks Marx and amfest. nothing there, cause I hadn't received any comments at that point.

amfest
06-04-04, 10:23
no when you click on usercp if you have any they are displayed on the first page . you don't have to choose any menus or what not.

Nightbrother (http://forum.neocron.com/member.php?u=13687) I added to your rep so you can click usercp and check where it's displayed

Original monk
06-04-04, 10:27
I looked there already. No mention of reputation under any of the menu points there. Hmmm, odd.

its called latest reputation received ... and then you see the comments made :)

in the userCP menu yeah :)

edit: amfest youre to fast lol

Parappa
06-04-04, 10:30
Is there any real negative in having a low rep? If not then who cares :confused:

amfest
06-04-04, 10:34
Is there any real negative in having a low rep? If not then who cares :confused:
well the whole idea is if you do alot of crap talk and maybe troll and such then those peopel will get bad reps and new users won't pay much attention to them. It's more reliant on how people see you than hey! look at me i've been here for such and such time and i've posted 10,000 times so I'm always right or I know it all. The thing is are people mature enough? I doubt alot are. I'm sure people when disagreed with on a peaceful level with good debate will just send bad rep to spite them. I guess we'll see. You can always turn it off if you don't want it on.

Mingerroo
06-04-04, 10:44
I totally agree that reputation is going to be a battle ground for the people that lose an argument, hold a grudge for in game events, or think its just funny.

In my opinion reputation should be mod controlled only, or at least the negative side. So players can say +1 rep when they want, but only mods can say -1 rep (for things like spam, flaming, bannings, and so forth). Maybe make it mod run entirely. I don't know but if I get a lame-ass comment that makes no sense I'll be switching mine off (regardless of whether or not it is a positive rep).

[edit]I just switched it off due to a negative comment of "lol, just joking" o_O

Steve

Judge
06-04-04, 13:57
or think its just funny.

Hehe, yep. Thats exactly what I'm doing. Come on you know you all hate me.
:mad:

Opar
06-04-04, 14:05
I think its a brilliant idea!!!!

Yeah right.

Archeus
06-04-04, 14:19

When you get to -40 they ban you from the forum. :p

Original monk
06-04-04, 14:28
Come on you know you all hate me.

euh, i dunno why but i dont hate ya sweetie ;)

au contraire i will send ya a nice reputation thingie :)

okie: nm i yust noticed that ya have put the thingie off also, i did the same ...
i know by know who has wich reputation :) i dont need a green or red sign to know hehe

El_MUERkO
06-04-04, 14:33
Anyone want to explain the reputation thing to me?

Nightbrother
06-04-04, 14:39
Muerko, look at User CP in the upper left corner. I have posted something in there for you. If you want to rate a post, there is that small icon in the top right of the post, where you can approve or disapprove a post and send a comment along also. :)

Jesterthegreat
06-04-04, 15:01
Anyone want to explain the reputation thing to me?

ok here goes:

all the cool kids tell their friends to give them good rep, and everyone else bad rep...

thats about it. there is no point. its another "my post cunt is higher than yours, i joined before you, i have a better rep than you" thing :rolleyes:

i have made like 4 posts since rep was put in and have a bad rep already... lmao

(well lowe than the 10 tat you start with)

t0tt3
06-04-04, 15:07

sorry Judge cant hate you anymore :(

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Judge again.

Anyone wanna be my target ? :D

Anyway... I think it's a system that will be used as much as hmm rating thing, even that most of the forum junkies know what it does there aint so many that uses it.

YES the devs goes for top rating and down!!!! :rolleyes:

EDIT: hahaha then I will tell whole pluto "FF" to start herass the forums :D 8| :lol:

j/k :p

Nightbrother
06-04-04, 15:20
Let's all find posts from MJS and give him a bad rep. Teehee. No, I dont mean that really..... :angel:

amfest
06-04-04, 15:25
Well current reputations will be reset after a week or so. They will I believe run a poll to see what people honestly think. Either way yes you can switch it off. As for current rep sends and such I think alot of people are just testing and just playing with a new toy so not much can be taken from it . lol

jernau
06-04-04, 16:28
From what Brammers was saying in another thread you can tie it to certain priveleges like repost intervals and stuff. I think that would be a very bad idea on this forum. In fact I'm not sure what real benefit it can offer at all.

Celt
06-04-04, 16:34
hokay

Now, thing is, we are able to disable them, and what ive noticed is that a few of the people who in my opinion are generally the shit stirrers are already the first to turn off the reputation feature, probably knowing full well that they will end up with bad marks. Does this disable their ability to post marks on other peoples reputations ? or are they still able to. They shouldnt in my opinion but hey, thats just me...

Says Mr. Banned from the forum for flaming/trolling.

Reputation is a fun game, disable it if you dont like it.

Scikar
06-04-04, 16:53
Says Mr. Banned from the forum for flaming/trolling.

At the rate you're going I'd say you're about to join him. Just a hunch though.

Celt
06-04-04, 16:55
At the rate you're going I'd say you're about to join him. Just a hunch though.Perhaps *shrug*

As I said, if the reputation feature is worrying you that much, disable it and ignore it.

It's not a big deal, and not very visible.

If you have as big a problem with it, as ~drav~ seems, why not PM dafire, or odin?

Or if their are as big trouble makers as he suggests, PM Nidhogg?

ezza
06-04-04, 16:57
now that QDs gone is it Celt v Drav 8|

this fights gone on over 3 threads(at least) now

hinch
06-04-04, 17:27
yeah im surprised celt hasnt bitten the bullet yet and got nailed oh well

FU & KOS

(there goes my rep)

Judge
06-04-04, 18:48
Come on.... I think I just need one or two or bad rep points and I will be red.

You're all motherfuckers.

There. Now you have to hate me. :p

cRazy2003
06-04-04, 19:08
i think the rep thing is funny as hell, but as most may know i dont take many things seriously :p
ive had 9 comments made so far =/

Now What? (Soullight -... 04-04-04 11:14
Now What? (Soullight -... 04-04-04 00:56
THREADS MERGED (again) ... 03-04-04 22:19
Now What? (Soullight -... 03-04-04 16:50 waste of time posting
Now What? (Soullight -... 03-04-04 16:50 waste of time posting (that was me shouting kos at oath :p )
Now What? (Soullight -... 03-04-04 16:34
Now What? (Soullight -... 03-04-04 16:34
THREADS MERGED (again) ... 03-04-04 00:49
THREADS MERGED (again) ... 03-04-04 00:15 sux

2 out of those 9 were green to :p
and i also know most were probably from oath and marx who was doing it for no reason anyways :p

Marx
06-04-04, 19:09
Nah Crazy, I sign all my posts "- <3 Marx"

:p

cRazy2003
06-04-04, 19:12

omg u just did it again u nib lol
thats it

<3 cRazy

Jest
06-04-04, 19:13

I sign all mine like that too. ;)

plague
06-04-04, 19:35
LOL me got bad rep too, FUCK that moron who put it there i hope he will read this and choke in hes own luuuuggy.

I think it should be take out wtf is the point of it anyhow, anyone could fuck up er rep just cuz since it's unanimous and anyone can add it.

SO PLS TAKE THAT SHT OFF(not that i care wtf ppl think just dont want some tard posting sht)

jernau
06-04-04, 19:37
I sign all mine like that too. ;)
You sign them as Marx?

Jest
06-04-04, 19:38
You sign them as Marx? Yep. :lol:

Load_HeavyLoad
06-04-04, 19:39
How do you view the posts people write in your reputations?

Marx
06-04-04, 19:40
How do you view the posts people write in your reputations?User CP > Latest Rep received.

Yep. :lol:
Guess that explains those odd PM's of late.

=/

\/\/ stick 'em in your sig :p \/\/

plague
06-04-04, 19:41
hey fuck you marx for giveing me bad rep :D
And I do have pluto chars 8| 2

hivemind
06-04-04, 20:15
I've decided that I'll just sign my comments from now on. So if you say something helpful or thoughtful, you'll get a "yuo=teh sex <3 hivemind" in your comments.

Load_HeavyLoad
06-04-04, 20:34
err where excatly in the CP?

jernau
06-04-04, 20:38
err where excatly in the CP?
Top Left - "User CP"

jernau
06-04-04, 22:50
Sorry to double post but I can't edit the previous one any more.

I got some votes now which is nice i suppose but I've got a question :
I have one green blob and a postive comment :) and one red blob with no comment:rolleyes:. I apparently have 13 points though, so are +s worth more than -s or are there stealth-votes or what?

Glok
06-04-04, 22:52
No, the person who gave you the green vote either has more posts or better reputation or both more than the negative voter. I think there is another variable too, but can't recall what it was.