PDA

View Full Version : Alt-Tab what's going on?

]v[ortice
02-04-04, 16:17
I've been meaning to post this up for a while and I don;t know if anyone else has mentioned it.

Since a couple of patches back... the alt-tab functionality of Neocron has gone tits up. When I alt-tab back to windows, the gamma on my screen is fucked up and the same when I return to the game. Is this a widespread problem and is it going to be fixed.

Someone mentioned it was deliberatly put in to stop people messing round when they're dead telling others what's going on etc. Personally I find it to be an invasion on my computer and an obstruction from me using my computer the way I want to. I would also question what it's doing to my graphics card.

If anyone has fixed this please post how.

Its really fucking annoying. Especially since my keyboard has a stupid amount of those little bastard windows keys... having to restart the client all the time due to accidental keypresses is so damn infuriating... especially when levelling/fighting.

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

Dribble Joy
02-04-04, 16:22
Ollllllllllllllllllllllllld problem.

You using an ati card now?

I had this problem, but now I run in window mode, all fine now.

Strych9
02-04-04, 16:22
Just want to add that it works fine in windowed mode. I play windowed, and to leave the Neo window and switch to something else, I just press the Windows key on the keyboad and it kicks me out. Never had a single graphics issue- have only had sound bugs where the sound gets real loud after coming back into Neo.

]v[ortice
02-04-04, 16:26
Thx guys.

Can you tell me then:

Does Windowed mode have an effect on FPS or Playability?

Will I still be able to use my Resolution of choice? (1280x1024 32bit)

Cheers

PS: Yes it's an ATI Radeon 9800pro

Dribble Joy
02-04-04, 16:34
The only problem I had with windowed mode (aotherwise it is no different in my experience.) is that you have to set your toolbar to autohide, otherwise you have to resize it everytime you start NC. I got used it that now though, you will have to move the window slightly though still.

Devils Grace
02-04-04, 16:51
the only problem i got with the Alt + tab is that when i come back i got no buffs and i cant cast new ones as if i had some on me

so i got to relog or wait a while (the time to them go away) to cast new ones
when i relog i got the buffs on again

and i dont play window mode

spongeb0b
02-04-04, 17:03
hi its DF :p cos i cant be botehred to log into my own forum account.

I have that exact same problem, and i find that i want to play in full mode but i cant becuse i cant alttab out.

I used to play in windowed mode but after playing in full mode for some time now i cant get used to it again. The smaller screen annoys me now, after havin my RPOS perfectly placed out in full mode.

Yet i want to alt tab out, so what is the greater evil ?

Strych9
02-04-04, 17:05
I have my desktop at 1280x1024, and run the window for Neo at 1024x768.

That allows me to see the bottom edge of my screen, so when I leave Neocron I can still see the full window. And I can see the time on my system clock. hehe.

I can leave Neocron (I never alt tab, just press the windows key which pops up the start menu) without ANY problems in game. Buffs and everything is fine.

FPS is fine and really no lag for me. Or at least no more lag than normal. LOL

I am running a Radeon 9600 pro in windows XP.

amfest
02-04-04, 17:09
yea my brightness lvl changes back to defaults and such when I alt-tab (relog resets it back to my setting) but all you have to do is bring up the video menu F10? I sorta forgot which it is .. lol and just hit apply and your settings will be applied again. It's not really that big a deal. A minor annoyance but that seems pretty easy to do to me.

subsys
02-04-04, 18:27
@amfest

that used to work for me but not any more for some reason :)

now if i alt tab im stuck in a really cool looking world full of dark shadows and creapy allys, just a shame i cant see ****

Jest
02-04-04, 18:43
Windowed mode is the way to play. Dont have the buff dissappeared problem, video problems, etc that come will full screen. The only thing I hate is when I alt-tab and the sound effects volume shoots up really high for a few seconds. :( Man I hate that.

Strych9
02-04-04, 18:49
Originally posted by Jest
Windowed mode is the way to play. Dont have the buff dissappeared problem, video problems, etc that come will full screen. The only thing I hate is when I alt-tab and the sound effects volume shoots up really high for a few seconds. :( Man I hate that. You ever get it where your sound is real lound and sounds like running water or static? It does that every now and then to me... gotta zone to get it to stop.

Otherwise, its just the loud volume for a few seconds. [:)]

Archeus
02-04-04, 19:18
I switch off sound in windowed mode. It just distracts from my WinTV.

Jest
02-04-04, 19:26
Originally posted by Strych9
You ever get it where your sound is real lound and sounds like running water or static? It does that every now and then to me... gotta zone to get it to stop.
[:)] Yah I hate that water sound.

Kenjuten
02-04-04, 21:50
@ Thread Starter: Heh, I used to have this kind of problem until I started making sure my game resolutions matched my desktop resolutions...

If this doesn't help any, I dunno what else to say m8. =\

Scikar
02-04-04, 21:55
There's a little app which was done by the devs of Natural Selection and comes with the mod, it's just called ResetGamma, all you do is run it and it has the same effect as opening up the colour settings in display control panel, which I find quite useful.

]v[ortice
02-04-04, 22:00
@Kenjuten:

My desktop Res is athe same as my Neo Res... go figure ^^

Thanks for the help guys... i'm gonna try the windowed shit. If it don;t work i'm gonna ressurect this thread :)

]v[ortice
02-04-04, 22:21
OK... stupid question time.

How the fuck u choose windowed mode?

There seems to be no 'natural option'.

Kenjuten
02-04-04, 22:46
Start Menu > Programs > Neocron > Configure Neocron

If you do not have this option, run the launcher and hold shift while launching Neocron itself. Keep holding shift until you get an options menu. Scroll the resolution menu to the very bottom where WindowMode should be.

You can edit the size of the Window in your ini.