View Full Version : Doom 3 delayed due to source code leak :(

Seven
01-04-04, 18:48
Man this sucks!

http://www.thinkfishstick.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=35

naimex
01-04-04, 18:49
I never figured shit like that out..

some people got hold of their sourcecode so they cant continue on the source code they still have, since it was only a copy of the source code they got..

unless they are going to rewrite everything leaked, there is no chance in hell itīs going to take longer time than it was meant to.

Forget My Name
01-04-04, 18:53
You believe this bad april fools joke that came out one day to early?

2006? Yeah right.

Jest
01-04-04, 18:54
April Fools. I seriously hate this day.

including some very sensitive footage showing John Romero in women's clothes

Seven
01-04-04, 18:57
:D :p :angel:

Dribble Joy
01-04-04, 18:58
including some very sensitive footage showing John Romero in women's clothes

John Romero is a woman though.

Marx
01-04-04, 19:19
Originally posted by Dribble Joy
John Romero is a woman though.

No, he just married one that's about the age of his son.

HatchetRyda
01-04-04, 19:24
Was it a joke or not?

Trivial
01-04-04, 19:33
Originally posted by naimex
I never figured shit like that out..

some people got hold of their sourcecode so they cant continue on the source code they still have, since it was only a copy of the source code they got..

unless they are going to rewrite everything leaked, there is no chance in hell itīs going to take longer time than it was meant to.

Well, if you can believe what valve says, thats exactly it. They are rewriting many sections of code in an effort to prevent cheats, and upgrade things making the stolen code outdated and incompatable with the new version...but its more than likely just a case of "Hey, we have something to blame our delay on...HURRRA!!!"

jernau
01-04-04, 19:33
Originally posted by HatchetRyda
Was it a joke or not?

I think we can be approximately 100% sure it was.

John Romero is not a woman but I can see the confusion between "He is a colossal tit" and "he has colossal tits".

/edit - IMO anyone that thinks the valve "leak" wasn't entirely brewed up by them to get free publicity and an excuse for being miles off their dealines is very naive.

Vila
01-04-04, 19:57
also doom3 should be released in this year

jernau
01-04-04, 19:59
Originally posted by Vila
also doom3 should be released in this year

Just like BDoY. ;)

Crono
01-04-04, 20:02
this one isnt real, but if it was, reason for delay would be like was said, once source coad is leaked, its like programmers having a guide book on how to make cheats for that game, so they need to rework all parts that would be susiptable to that so any cheats made based on old sorce wont work.

-Crono

jernau
01-04-04, 20:04
Originally posted by Crono
this one isnt real, but if it was, reason for delay would be like was said, once source coad is leaked, its like programmers having a guide book on how to make cheats for that game, so they need to rework all parts that would be susiptable to that so any cheats made based on old sorce wont work.

-Crono

Any coder worth his caffeine wouldn't have much, if any of his alpha code left in the retail build and would be able to patch around the security issues of a leak like this in a few weeks at most.

Trivial
01-04-04, 20:28
Originally posted by jernau
[IMO anyone that thinks the valve "leak" wasn't entirely brewed up by them to get free publicity and an excuse for being miles off their dealines is very naive.

I never said that was the case....only that they turned it to their advantage.

Like the ninja, they are masters of using their surroundings to their advantage :)

I for one don't care about the delay...It will be the better for it anyway. Hell the first one was delayed longer than the development cycle of most other games, and look at it now...to this day it has more online players than mosth other games combined in the FPS genra.

jernau
01-04-04, 20:32
Originally posted by Trivial
I never said that was the case....only that they turned it to their advantage.

I wasn't referring to anyone in particular, just saying it's all rather more convenient than likely and the way they handled it makes me certain it was all a con.

Load_HeavyLoad
01-04-04, 20:33
Man :/ Just like Half Life 2 Hackers Suck Ass

VetteroX
01-04-04, 20:40
its a joke... april 2006 my ass.... hackers from the soviet union? A bit other the top if you ask me...

NS_CHROME54
02-04-04, 03:09
yeah no shit.

april fools everyone :p

it first the article was ok and serious, but when it went into details about a Soviet Union hacking organization and footage of John Carmack wandering around the id office in drag, it was screaming "anyone who believes this shit is a moron."

Katherine
02-04-04, 03:39
Just imagine what would happen if Neocron's sourcecode was leaked. NC would like die hahaha.

OTIS
02-04-04, 04:32
Just like BDoY. ;)

lol this still makes me laff for some reason :p

G.0.D.
02-04-04, 04:37
its quite obviusly a fools day joke o_O

Crono
02-04-04, 05:35
Any coder worth his caffeine wouldn't have much, if any of his alpha code left in the retail build and would be able to patch around the security issues of a leak like this in a few weeks at most.

yea, but would it be changed enough without intention to do so, that would make chears built off of alpha code not work? (acually a question as i have a very litle coding experiance besides the basics)

-Crono

Seven
02-04-04, 05:41
Originally posted by Katherine
Just imagine what would happen if Neocron's sourcecode was leaked.

All the bugs would be fixed! :p

Crono
02-04-04, 05:56
Originally posted by Seven
All the bugs would be fixed! :p

ahahahaha

:P

jernau
02-04-04, 06:55
Originally posted by Crono
yea, but would it be changed enough without intention to do so, that would make chears built off of alpha code not work? (acually a question as i have a very litle coding experiance besides the basics)

-Crono

Generally yes. The early stages of a development cycle (up to Alpha) are about building a funcional version of all the code elements to prove it can be done not about making a polished product. Later versions often rewrite the majority of that code either as part of optimisation or because lessons learnt the first time can be better applied on a clean slate.

Hackers will be looking for the same errors and oversights to exploit that the coders will be working to remove anyway in the later stages of development.

wrt Russia and people thinking that was there as a hint to it being a joke : The USSR let the world in cryptography and "hacking" throughout the cold war. The US in particular spent a fortune trying to keep up with them and I'm sure that line was put in because something like that was in almost every IT/comms security notice from the 60s onwards.

bling
02-04-04, 09:33
Stup*d ****, why do you play Neocron?

Originally posted by Katherine
Just imagine what would happen if Neocron's sourcecode was leaked. NC would like die hahaha.

borlegan
02-04-04, 11:04
This was posted on same site later:

I hope you all enjoyed googling and browsing IRC looking for the fabled doom 3 sourcecode, John Romero's crossdressing movies or the UT2004 Limited light edition.
Of course it was all an April fool's joke. There is nothing going on with Doom 3 or Romero's taste in women (then again...), nor are the sales of ut2k4 plumetting. Thanks rjp for playing along in chat and posting 'links' to the tar.gz ;). Thanks BeyondUnreal for the great ut2k4 prank.

Also, apparently a lot of you found the sourcecode article interesting, seeing as this site has today seen more hits than it usually does in a month O_o. 3500+ reads on the Doom 3 article and still rising. Guess I should do this kind of thing more ;). Comments are enabled for anonymous users if you would like to leave one.

:angel:

Nightbrother
02-04-04, 11:33
http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0304/ut2k4mod.html

The sales of UT2k4 will surely go up lots with this being implemented.