PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop

garyu69
01-04-04, 18:32
My friend is buying a Laptop and has about 1100 pounds to spend.

Has anyone got any reconmendations?

Barak
01-04-04, 18:33
by a desktop comp instead

garyu69
01-04-04, 18:35
He travels a lot from Winchester to Oxford so needs a Laptop as carrying a destop would get a bit too much :)

Mighty Max
01-04-04, 18:40
1,100 pounds thats around 2200$ right ?

I can recomment Gericom Hummer FX5600 as 3.0 or 3.2GHz HT version. Its a nice lowcost gaming Laptop. I know some ppl prejustice about Gericom, but it has some great Features i myself am happy with

- HT: If you hang up your PC, you can fast Kill the Process due to only 50% of your CPU hangs, saved me lots of time yet
- FX5600 is really ok for a Lappy
- as ram you can use normal desktop DDR ram to upgrade, saves you a lot of money later on
- you can use any desktop p4 in exchange for the installed one. Cheap to upgrade again
- Can boot from a SD-card.

negs:
- it gets hot due to CPU+gfx
- to exchange batteries you need to open it. but the LiIon one is working good

4 USB 2.0 1 Firewire easy accessible and a slot in DVD-RW Burner as standard.

Capt. Rik
01-04-04, 20:25
Not a bad spec on this one...

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/NBrange.html?NPX

Edit: I mean the one on the bottom right (Performer XL 3.0GHz)

Load_HeavyLoad
01-04-04, 20:35
Well cant go wrong with ones at www.alienware.com :)

Kasumi
01-04-04, 20:41
Originally posted by Load_HeavyLoad

Me and my boyfriend both have alienware laptop.. ^-^ Took lots of work to get mine it to Japan though so I never buy one again! ^_^

metalangel
01-04-04, 20:58
I've got a Dell Inspiron 8200... is about 18 months old, tho, so not cutting edge, but it's all I've ever played NC on, so I recommend them highly.

Archeus
01-04-04, 23:41
Try www.eurosimm.co.uk There laptops tend to be good spec and cheap.

Neocrons_coward
02-04-04, 00:55
Originally posted by garyu69
My friend is buying a Laptop and has about 1100 pounds to spend.

Has anyone got any reconmendations?

His a luckuy bastard i see.. I still got my windows 95 laptop that weighs a ton and im able to play DESTRUCTION DERBY 2 whilst on the train and piss all the others off with TAKE IT EASY YOU'VE BLOWN OR RADIATOR or is it Watch it your radiators blown.. Im unsure on which one is DD1 OR DD2

dangfoo
02-04-04, 00:57
get a dell 5150 .. can get it cheap if you settle for 1 years return policy

plague
02-04-04, 01:57
Originally posted by Load_HeavyLoad

Yep best gaming laptop outhere benchmarks outperform anyother.:cool: And you can upgrade er video and other sht on this laptop(no other do that not video :))... Dell is very nice too.

StrongSad
02-04-04, 05:47
^^ Mind posting some proof of that?

Alienware has some good PCs but their laptops have an ABUNDANCE of heat issues. Voodoo and even Dell make a much better laptop. But seeing as you can only get 2 hours tops out of a gaming laptop, they seem useless, unless your nere some powersource.

hivemind
02-04-04, 06:15
I'm quite satisfied with my IBM Thinkpad. It's solid as a rock.

I would also point out that Hewlett Packard has some mad crazy deals right now on laptops with AthlonXP Mobile processors. For $2200 he could buy one of those and have enough left over to build a new desktop.

If he's gonna play 'cron on it, screw graphics and pour money into CPU. My 32 meg shared graphics on the Thinkpad plays NC fine with some stuff turned off, mostly because it's got a nice fast P4 CPU...

HumphreY
02-04-04, 07:51
I play Neocron on my Toshiba Satellite P4m 2.0 GHz and geforce4go.

I bought it one year ago. and it still rocks. However I bought it mainly as a replacement for my desktop comp. Just wanted to take advantage of moving with it from one location to another occationally. So It doesnt really matter that it's quite cumbersome.

In your case I'd recommend a centrino proc with high-capacity rechargeable battery since your friend is not going to use it as a desktop replacement.but rather a mobile unit.

It's always a trade off between performance and mobility.

Twitch
02-04-04, 08:58
i have toshiba satellite 4600 and an nec versa lx lolol, whatever i don't use them for gaming, just war driving and watching movies and messing around

i heard alienware is wicked but has shitty battery life (what can you expect with all that power though)