PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Daylights Savings Time...

-FN-
01-04-04, 11:38
So we get the Server Admin Message... mainentance reboot at 10:30 GMT blah blah blah...

Too bad they're on fucking daylight saving's time and the US isn't yet. So the servers go down at 4:30am EST instead of 5:30am as the rest of us calculated.

Wouldn't bug me one bit if I were in Plaza 1, but nooooo, I had to be cresting a hill against a DoY. Well fuck me.

Here's a polite request.... set a precedent and format for your downtime messages. Everytime they're different depending on what GM sends the message.

Server downtime at XX:XX GMT / XX:XX EST (or PST for all I care, just something that will be *right* in US time)

Hell I don't even care about the reason. Just try to be a little thoughtful towards the other half of the planet plz.

kthxbye.

darknessfairy
01-04-04, 11:39
i didnt even get a warning, i just got booted

-FN-
01-04-04, 11:51
Originally posted by darknessfairy
i didnt even get a warning, i just got booted

Well they generally announce it an hour or two before the downtime... which leads to another request....

If someone logs in 30 seconds after the Server Admin spam, they're screwed like lil miss fairy girl up here. A 10-15 min reminder would be nice considering you don't want to have to deal with the crap of some person losing something due to, to their perception, unannounced downtime. Not everyone is going to be on 1+ hours before a planned downtime...

I manage servers with hundreds of people on them as well, some ssh and telnet sessions, some print servers and queues, some apache sessions, etc... If I warned only an hour before downtime and not relatively immediate to the actual reboot... hell I'd probably be fired - lol - Not trying to be a dick and tell anyone how to do their job but, aside from being in the IT industry for almost a decade, immediate user warning is just kinda common sense and courtesy in this field.

SynC_187
01-04-04, 11:55
Originally posted by -FN-
Well they generally announce it an hour or two before the downtime... which leads to another request....

If someone logs in 30 seconds after the Server Admin spam, they're screwed like lil miss fairy girl up here. A 10-15 min reminder would be nice considering you don't want to have to deal with the crap of some person losing something due to, to their perception, unannounced downtime. Not everyone is going to be on 1+ hours before a planned downtime...

I manage servers with hundreds of people on them as well, most ssh and telnet sessions... If I warned only an hour before downtime and not relatively immediate to the actual reboot... hell I'd probably be fired lol

Yeah I do a similar thing and you always give the courtisy 5 minute reminder.

numb
01-04-04, 11:56

I manage servers with hundreds of people on them as well, most ssh and telnet sessions... If I warned only an hour before downtime and not relatively immediate to the actual reboot... hell I'd probably be fired lol

There should be some kind of count down as the reboot approaches.

'10 minutes'

'5 minutes'

'60 seconds'

'30 seconds'

'15 seconds'

'10 seconds'

5, 4, 3, 2, 1

I think that's how they used to do it in AO.

Jesterthegreat
01-04-04, 12:01
Too bad they're on fucking daylight saving's time and the US isn't yet. So the servers go down at 4:30am EST instead of 5:30am as the rest of us calculated.

GMT is the same no matter what time zone.

for example UK are no longer on GMT, we are on BST (British Summer Time) which is GMT +1 (iirc)

if the anouncement was made that it would be xx:xx GMT then it should make no diff what timezone anyone is in

Lathuc
01-04-04, 12:13
what jester said

-FN-
01-04-04, 12:21
Both the temporary post and the in-game message said downtime at 10:30 GMT. That's 5:30 EST as EST is -5. So we all did the math we do every time there's a message and that should be 5:30 EST. It's 5:18 EST right now and the servers went down 45 mins ago.

Our daylight savings time kicks in (I think) this weekend so after that, things will be back to "normal"... but a courtest GMT / EST time would still be nice :p

I'm not a Timezone professional, nor are most people here I doubt... a Server down in 1 hour, 30 mins, 5 mins, set of msgs would remove any confusion.

Jesterthegreat
01-04-04, 12:26
I'm not a Timezone professional, nor are most people here I doubt... a Server down in 1 hour, 30 mins, 5 mins, set of msgs would remove any confusion.

i dont deny that... nor do i deny it went down at the wrong time (i dont know)... but i just wanted to point out that daylight savings in other countries has nothing to do with calculating the time (relative to GMT) in your country :D

darknessfairy
01-04-04, 12:44
I know what jester is goin on about. He's saying that you lot should account for the fact of daylight savings times if times are quoted in GMT :p

Scikar
01-04-04, 13:02
What Jester is saying is that the announcement was wrong, it was quoted as GMT when in fact it was BST.

Jesterthegreat
01-04-04, 13:02
Originally posted by darknessfairy
I know what jester is goin on about. He's saying that you lot should account for the fact of daylight savings times if times are quoted in GMT :p

actully i was saying the opposite mate...

well... take note of your own countries daylight savings times... but UK / Germany being on daylight savings makes no diff to how far ahead EST is to GMT

sowwy df :D

darknessfairy
01-04-04, 13:10
dont lie
i know you were telling them that are silly people.
stick up for me jester.

well that was the impression i got frm your post anyways...ahem

kurai
01-04-04, 13:16
*sigh*

This isn't the first instance of KK fucking up time zone calcs.

They either need to acknowledge they haven't got a clue how clocks work and do things in local German time, or if they must try and do it in an internationalised format at least get it the fuck right.

It's hardly rocket science.

Of course, the tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theory brethren among us might think that it was deliberately done early to avoid a certain duping exploit ... :D

Scikar
01-04-04, 13:18
Maybe they could put a clock on the main web page displaying the in-game time, and have all announcements in in-game time format?

kurai
01-04-04, 13:24
Originally posted by Scikar
Maybe they could put a clock on the main web page displaying the in-game time, and have all announcements in in-game time format? In-game time is different on each server.

Almost everything relating to ingame time is broken to a greater or lesser degree anyway, so I can't see this being any different.