PDA

View Full Version : Whooo.... Neuromancer here I come! Gonna reserve me one of those!

Heavyporker
31-03-04, 18:02
Damn.. tech is certainly racing into the future, ain't it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3485918.stm

Judge
31-03-04, 18:10
Fuck me thats cool. Seriously... I think that in the next 50 or so years there are going to be some severely cool advances in these sorts of fields. Loads of aging cyberpunks working for companies, trying to push the technology in that direction. :D

Archeus
31-03-04, 18:12
The Tech has been around a while. I quite like the biofeedback one that allows you to relax while playing a game.

Personally I think games should exercise you more, not give you less muscles to use.

Scarus
31-03-04, 18:21
Originally posted by Archeus
Personally I think games should exercise you more, not give you less muscles to use.

Fair point, but say you run out of breathe at an OP fight and some-one who's been excersicing regurlarly for years comes and kicks your arse.. you're not gonna be happy, lol... if your unfit in real life maybe they give your avatar a little fat to carry around :)

Heavyporker
31-03-04, 18:29
Well, at least this tech lets cri-... erm.. handicapped people get up and throw down with the rest of us gamers.

And when you consider reponse times.... the head-linked player is gonna whoop the hand-user any day of the week.

Well.. except when he's got a headache, drunk, high, or asleep...

anyone ever sleepwalk, and get down and play neocron without remembering? that'd be cool... get all that boring tradeskiling out of the way... do all your PvP when you're awake, LOL.

naimex
31-03-04, 18:51
It looks cool and will certainly make video games a lot funner..

However something concerns me regarding a thing like that..

becoming closer to your character will without doubt cause mentally weak persons to become schizofrenic by getting too much into character..

if you understand what I mean.

Heavyporker
31-03-04, 18:53
Like they don't already now?

We're all cyborgs here man. You just don't realize it. A link to machines does not require direct wiring.

naimex
31-03-04, 18:58
I meant.

If your mind becomes the mouse and keyboard, and your eyes see nothing but the world..

You will act, think and move with the mind..

Everything done by the mind.

If the mind canīt tell the difference.. then it wonīt take much more for it to believe in what it sees.

Who can really tell.. If you canīt distinguish between the reality and the virtual reality.. then what could really stop you from becoming a Gen-Tank of mind ?

What happens if your mind believes that it is really the character..

What if you die with the mind thinking this ?

it is not unheard of.. people believing in something so much that their mind killed them.

Heavyporker
31-03-04, 19:10
Heh. Gotta love philosophy.

Um, naimex, I suggest you read "Natural-Born Cyborgs" or soemthing to that effect - its amazing, I think it addresses some of those issues. Your brain is just an organ that takes in the imput it got... makes your whole reality from that....

You know how little you really notice and know? Amazing shit... really made me think.

Lemme tell ya.. i'm thinking virtual reality is gonna be just as real as reality, because after all, way our brains work is preception = reality.

naimex
31-03-04, 19:11
ill try and find that book.. ;)

Kenjuten
31-03-04, 21:57
Heh, while this isn't exactly talking about the same thing...I suggest the people here to look up the universe of .Hack, as it has some very interesting concepts on this. D:

When does a game become reality, exactly?
When you no longer 'properly' live in reality.

I think I already spoiled too much with that statement, so I'll let you guys see it on your own. :D

Oh, and as a bonus: the game inside .Hack was adapted from a game invented by a German, so heh.

The music in the .Hack universe for example creepingly parallels Neocron in some aspects....

Rade
01-04-04, 00:50
yarr, its kewl. Id rather want somewhere to plug in a cord tho,
call me oldfashioned..

ezza
01-04-04, 01:45
Originally posted by Rade
yarr, its kewl. Id rather want somewhere to plug in a cord tho,
call me oldfashioned.. you could stick it up your a..... nevermind

Rade
01-04-04, 01:50
Originally posted by ezza