PDA

View Full Version : State of items after backpack retrieval

ResurgencE
29-03-04, 06:48
To illustrate an example right off the bat, when your avatar dies in Diablo 2 and retrieves his corpse, the items contained within are all re-equipped in their original positions. Such is not the case in Neocron, where you have to drag and click your entire inventory after dying, and it can be slightly tedious if you're lagging. Funny thing is, there're some times when ive actually dropped something while trying to re-equip it. :/

Nevertheless, i think the penalties of dying are fine ( Item loss for non-LEs, major si which stacks as you die repeatedly, having to get re-poked, etc.) So wouldnt it be less time-consuming if when an individual retrieves his backpack, all items are re-equipped (except the imps he popped, the items he cant wear without drugs, and what he lost in his belt, of course) without him having to do it manually?

One might argue that this isnt exactly a priority. I agree, its not. Its just a suggestion KK could consider to cause less annoyance to the influx of newbies they're anticipating for BDoY (assuming it ever gets here. :D )

manderf
29-03-04, 07:24
i CNAT UNderstand the german/

what does ti mean?:eek: :mad: :mad:

Fuck, sorry. Back to doing work.

yeah, would be nice if stuff re-equipped itself.

UNE BONNE IDéE!1

♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪

jernau
29-03-04, 07:38
This would be great, especially for PPUs.

ResurgencE
29-03-04, 07:46
Rofl..I dont really speak German either, though i picked up a few words from my friend.

You must've heard these two terms while blowing away ************s in world war II games. :D

Ja = Yes
Nein = No.

SorkZmok
29-03-04, 07:48
I really HATE sorting all the drugs in my inventory after i died. I dont care about my QB or my armor, its the inventory that i hate to sort again.

ResurgencE
29-03-04, 07:52
Indeed. Forgot all about that. Thanks for bringing it up.

I especially abhor it when theres a gap between the top part of your inventory and the lower part, so you have to scroll all the way down and double-click or drag your items to keep them closer. And even thats tedious because it takes forever to get them all together due to lag.

Not exactly the thread to bring this up in, but it'd be nice if they fixed the tradebug in which all your items are aotomatically transferred back into your inventory if you dont click on 'ok' quickly enough in-trade.

System
29-03-04, 09:21
Bah... putting together my inventory just gives me something to do while i'm waiting for SI ortherwise I would be crying about how long the SI is

El Barto
29-03-04, 09:33
I don't think so, considering from RP, you just died and got your back pack back at the GR, the GR doesn't majacly put your stuff back in place as well. I have a PPU and Gen-Tank, I have never had a problm with moving my stuff back after dieing.

ResurgencE
29-03-04, 10:30
I don't think so, considering from RP, you just died and got your back pack back at the GR, the GR doesn't majacly put your stuff back in place as well.

Considering it from an RP perspective, it is equally impossible to retrieve real items via a GR, is it not? So if it can magically teleport physical items into your inventory from the other side of the world without you having to touch them, why cant it also simply put it all back in the original places?

Even in SWG, when you clone your items, they're all restored precisely where they were. So i doubt if discussing reality in this regard is a valid argument.

I don't think so, considering from RP, you just died and got your back pack back at the GR, the GR doesn't majacly put your stuff back in place as well.

Judging from the votes, others do. Its just that its unrequired. It doesnt have to be this way.

Bah... putting together my inventory just gives me something to do while i'm waiting for SI ortherwise I would be crying about how long the SI is

Unfortunately, the si IS something that is required to make it more difficult to get back into a fight after dying. Imagine the advantages at op wars for the defending clan. They wouldnt even require ppus, they'd just constantly GR back and get into the fray.

If you need something to do while waiting for the si to wear off, i suggest you worry about getting yourself poked and replacing the item you might have lost in your QB, assuming you had no LE and werent in a warzone. :D

Carinth
29-03-04, 18:52
I hate reorganizing my inventory as a ppu, every spell hasta be in a specific spot in order for me to function. I would be so much happier if recovering my bp put my inventory back the way it was before I died. I could quickly figure out which spell I dropped then aswell.

Lafiel
29-03-04, 19:11
o hell yea that would be awomse..... having to reogranize my inventory is one of the main reasons i never GR out :p

cRazy2003
29-03-04, 20:05
why dont u just call it a character instead of a avatar?

<------- thats an avatar :p

Whitestuff
29-03-04, 23:06
ALSO::::::::::: PPU inventories being the hardest iventory to organize and keep straight. Please put it back where it goes. Keep it just as we have it in our inventory. I bet doing this will also solve the "can't use taht implant" bug.

I vote yes.

jiga
29-03-04, 23:15
theres no real reason why it things shuldn'd be put back the way they were in ur inventory so hopefully we can look forward to seeing this with DoY;)

amfest
29-03-04, 23:15
hell I'd like to be able to right click on my INV title bar and then a choice of sorting options would pop up like RPGs
Sort by
Weapons, Armors, ITEMS
Armors, Items, Weapons
Items, Weapons, Armors

or something to that effect :D

Mr_Snow
29-03-04, 23:16
I dont die enough on my ppu for this to be a problem really but it is really annoying when I do or die on any of my other characters.

Even if your inventory was kept the way it was and amour and quickbelt were thrown in underneath what you already had there it would make it less irritating.

StryfeX
30-03-04, 00:19
I love this idea, but first I'd like to have KK get on the fuckin ball and make items be what they're supposed to be when you retieve your backpack instead of letting this go on for I don't know how many months now. I'm sick of dying and then trying to poke something only to relog to find out I'm trying to stick a peice of armor into my skull.

--Stryfe

amfest
30-03-04, 00:55
Originally posted by StryfeX
I love this idea, but first I'd like to have KK get on the fuckin ball and make items be what they're supposed to be when you retieve your backpack instead of letting this go on for I don't know how many months now. I'm sick of dying and then trying to poke something only to relog to find out I'm trying to stick a peice of armor into my skull.

--Stryfe

Funny you should mention that cause I died and my scorpion trike was sitting outside crp with 2 grims around it .. so i needed to run to get to it so I could kill the grims . .so I dropped some extra stuff like junk for cloning ammo. Later on i discovered I was bugged when i couldn't take one of my drugs . and ended up logging off for a while. When i logged on i discovered I dropped my inq 1 armor (no big deal) but I had also dropped the Filter Heart 2 I had just Looted off a terror raptor that day. :rolleyes:

yavimaya
30-03-04, 08:49
Originally posted by ResurgencE
Unfortunately, the si IS something that is required to make it more difficult to get back into a fight after dying. Imagine the advantages at op wars for the defending clan. They wouldnt even require ppus, they'd just constantly GR back and get into the fray.

If you need something to do while waiting for the si to wear off, i suggest you worry about getting yourself poked and replacing the item you might have lost in your QB, assuming you had no LE and werent in a warzone. :D

So.... if you cant use your implants until Sin. Imp. wears off you have to sit there booored......?

jernau
30-03-04, 10:30
Originally posted by yavimaya
So.... if you cant use your implants until Sin. Imp. wears off you have to sit there booored......?

Yes.

NC has almost no penalies on death compared to other games. Would you rather lose a few million XP for instance?

Omnituens
30-03-04, 11:44
the fucked up invertory isnt that much of an issue for me.

its that blasted "you cant move that item to that part of your inventory, the only square that you want to move it to, is the one where it wont let you move it to" bug.

pisses me off when im trying to sort out techs or built parts in my inventory.

ResurgencE
30-03-04, 14:21

So you combat the boredom of simply having to wait out si by performing the even MORE boring and tedious task of putting everything back in its former place?

How can boring cancel out boring? Thats asinine.

As for the folks who voted 'nein', lets see some good arguments, please. So far, nothing has been brought forth to the table thats worth dispelling. :rolleyes:

I love this idea, but first I'd like to have KK get on the fuckin ball and make items be what they're supposed to be when you retieve your backpack instead of letting this go on for I don't know how many months now.

Agree wholeheartedly. Any bugs affecting any part of the game is top priority.

its that blasted "you cant move that item to that part of your inventory, the only square that you want to move it to, is the one where it wont let you move it to" bug.

My God, how i hate that bug. Inventory sorting is nearly impossible because of it. That, and the 'If you dont click quick enough, all your items you set in the trade-screen will be transferred back to your inventory' bug. WHENEVER someone hands me parts to construct, he has to place them one at a time and press 'ok' immediately, or everything will just vanish back into his inventory.

Glok
30-03-04, 14:25
Originally posted by Omnituens
its that blasted "you cant move that item to that part of your inventory, the only square that you want to move it to, is the one where it wont let you move it to" bug.That bug drives me nuts.

Eledhbrant
30-03-04, 17:23
I posted this exact idea months ago, it got a ton of 5 star ratings, nothing was ever done :/

Carinth
30-03-04, 19:40
My God, how i hate that bug. Inventory sorting is nearly impossible because of it. That, and the 'If you dont click quick enough, all your items you set in the trade-screen will be transferred back to your inventory' bug. WHENEVER someone hands me parts to construct, he has to place them one at a time and press 'ok' immediately, or everything will just vanish back into his inventory.

Actualy the trade items falling back to inventory is a quick fix, not a bug. It was done to impair an exploit people were doing which involved trading items back and forth really fast, if you did it right you could dupe the items. They have since fixed it I believe, but the inventory drop is still there just incase.

The inventory placement bug isn't such a big deal to me, you just move the item to quickbelt or to processor window and then you drag it back where you want it. This "clears" the space so you can actualy use it.

The other bug though definitly pisses me off. When I've died and organized my inventory, I'll have it mostly done by the time impair goes away. Then I put on my armor and I get the "you can not use this implant message" That means I'm bugged, so I relog. When I come back my armor has been reset to inventory and has once again messed up my spell arrangement.

There are tons of these irritating little bugs, but until Doy comes I doubt they'll get much attention.

Seven
30-03-04, 19:54
So wouldnt it be less time-consuming if when an individual retrieves his backpack, all items are re-equipped (except the imps he popped, the items he cant wear without drugs, and what he lost in his belt, of course) without him having to do it manually?

Yes it would be less time-consuming and that's why it will never be changed.

The core of this game is based around timesinks.

Seven
30-03-04, 20:02
Originally posted by Carinth

There are tons of these irritating little bugs, but until Doy comes I doubt they'll get much attention.

They won't.
Doy will bring a slew of it's own bugs.
Some of those will get fixed with a sledgehammer and the rest will get thrown into the pile of old bugs that never get fixed.

Hopefully Doy will bring in much more cash. Then it's up to KK how much goes into hiring more people to fix and maintain the game or how much goes into their pockets.

Again, it all depends on what revenue Doy and this new publisher may or may not bring in.

ResurgencE
31-03-04, 07:09
Actualy the trade items falling back to inventory is a quick fix, not a bug. It was done to impair an exploit people were doing which involved trading items back and forth really fast, if you did it right you could dupe the items. They have since fixed it I believe, but the inventory drop is still there just incase.

Hmm...Didnt know that. But if it has been fixed, it'd be nice if they removed it and provided another fix instead. One thats less annoying. :/

The inventory placement bug isn't such a big deal to me, you just move the item to quickbelt or to processor window and then you drag it back where you want it. This "clears" the space so you can actualy use it.

Ah, thanks. Ill do that from now on. However, i still think its something that needs fixing, since not every newcomer will know of it. Hell, ive been playing for a little under a year, and i was incognizant of it. And besides, this is not a feature, so it needs fixing.

Yes it would be less time-consuming and that's why it will never be changed.

Hmm...Lemme rephrase. Its not time-consuming, since you need to wait out the si and you can arrange your inventory in the meantime, so theres actually no timesink. Therefore, nothing is being achieved here. When you die, getting poked and waiting for the si to wear out is the timesink. If you arrange your items in that span of time, you're virtually not losing out on time, so this is a mere annoyance, and nothing more.

I posted this exact idea months ago, it got a ton of 5 star ratings, nothing was ever done :/

In that case, even if this is not going to be implemented, kindly vote 5 stars for this thread.

Never had a thread with 5 stars before. :D

Seven
31-03-04, 07:27

Hmm...Lemme rephrase. Its not time-consuming, since you need to wait out the si and you can arrange your inventory in the meantime, so theres actually no timesink. Therefore, nothing is being achieved here. When you die, getting poked and waiting for the si to wear out is the timesink. If you arrange your items in that span of time, you're virtually not losing out on time, so this is a mere annoyance, and nothing more.

I could think of alot of other things to do while waiting for SI to wear off other than constantly re-arranging my inventory.

So to me, it's a timesink within a timesink...
And yes, it is very annoying also.

ResurgencE
31-03-04, 07:41
You're absolutely right.

There're plenty of other things to do, and getting poked up and replacing the item(s) you might have lost are just a couple of them.

Its just that the si, pokes and item replacement are enough of a timesink.

KK, please. We work and have families. We dont have all this time. :p

MjukisDjur
31-03-04, 10:28
Why not implement something like this: when you retrieve your backpack stuff actually is what they appear to be.
It would be soo cool not having to relogg every time so you wouldnt try to imp that psi booster or helmet.