PDA

View Full Version : B:DoY or B:TDOY

Rieper
28-03-04, 19:37
am i the only one who thinks it should be Beyond The Dome of York? the definite article should be used in thise case just because it sounds better imo. Its just that in this case Dome means an actual dome (meaning using the sounds right) rather than just a name.

as for the acronym, you could still drop the T and just use it in the full title.

Omnituens
28-03-04, 19:38
question: wtf is the semi colon doing there?

Sleawer
28-03-04, 19:42
If the name of the city is 'Dome of York', then no it should not have article before the name.

This is your suggestion... Neocron: Beyond the Dome of York
Imagine it inverse... Dome of York: Beyond the Neocron

:p

I think it's right as NC:BDoY... altho I am not very good at english.

ezza
28-03-04, 19:47
Originally posted by Sleawer

I think it's right as NC:BDoY... altho I am not very good at english. i aint very good at english either but i recon thats right also;)

L3m0n
28-03-04, 19:54
NC:BDoY that sounds an looks rite, wish MJ would clear this up:rolleyes:

ezza
28-03-04, 19:59
nothings simple around here:lol:

Tratos
28-03-04, 20:10
Originally posted by L3m0n
NC:BDoY that sounds an looks rite, wish MJ would clear this up:rolleyes:

He has.

Shows how much attention you pay. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Martin J. Schwiezer
No, it's not "Beyond the Dome of York", but "Beyond Dome of York". That is because "Dome of York" is a name. The word "Beyond" is not focussing on the word "dome", but on something that has the name "Dome of York".

Like "Beyond Death Valley" and not "Beyond the Valley of Death". See what I mean?

The official complete name is:

"Neocron: Beyond Dome of York"

And NC:BTDOY looks bad

NC:BDOY is the pwn

~Tratos

Lafiel
28-03-04, 20:28
yayyyeaaa

L0KI
28-03-04, 21:25
I don't think the abbreiviation of the title is really that important tbh.

Its certainly not going to pull in customers

The official complete name is:

"Neocron: Beyond Dome of York"

So NC:BDOY it is (should be) then.

The end.

cRazy2003
28-03-04, 21:45
thats so wierd i was thinking about the EXACT same thing yesterday to o_O
anyways i think it shud be beyond the dome of york, just dome of york sounds like someone with bad english vocab has done it

steweygrrr
28-03-04, 21:52
I think they are using Dome of York in reference to an event...you know like 9/11 is an event as well as a date...

sparrowtm
28-03-04, 21:54
O_o

"Death Valley is a bad place to live."
"The Death Valley is a bad place to live."

"When I visit London, I go shopping."
"When I visit the London, I go shopping."

Which examples sound better?

cRazy2003
28-03-04, 22:02
Originally posted by sparrowtm
O_o

"Death Valley is a bad place to live."
"The Death Valley is a bad place to live."

"When I visit London, I go shopping."
"When I visit the London, I go shopping."

Which examples sound better?

"im in middle of england"
"im in the middle of england"

well?

its the way the name is, its like something 'inside' york.

beyond york, its beyond a certain place
beyond 'the' dome of york is like saying its beyond a certain place or thing in york, hence why it has 'the' in front of it

i know it has nothing to do with york im just using it as an example

sparrowtm
28-03-04, 22:04
The difference is, the Dome of York is NOT a specific location inside of York, but the name of that place. If a village in England was called "Grove of the Youthful", it would still be correct to say "I'm on the train to Grove of the Youthful.

But then, I'm not a native speaker. So feck it. :p

cRazy2003
28-03-04, 22:06
Originally posted by sparrowtm
The difference is, the Dome of York is NOT a specific location inside of York, but is the name of that place. If a village in England was called "Grove of the Youthful", it would still be correct to say "I'm on the train to Grove of the Youthful.

But then, I'm not a native speaker. So feck it. :p

i know its not a specific place but it sounds like it is, i mean if u spoke to a random person who has never heard of it before he wud think its a dome inside york apposed to a place :p
so its not specific but it sounds like it which is why it sounds a bit more normal with 'the' in front of it

Rieper
28-03-04, 22:20
Okay, the reason for it is because it doesnt sound completely right and if people see a boxed game with a name that sounds badly translated it might put them off.

When talking about an object you put the before it. For instance think of Cathedral. If Townsville has only one cathedral it is The Cathedral of Townsville. _but_ if the name of the actual city is Cathedral of Townsville then you dont need The before it.

In this situation it sounds wrong to anyone not familiar with the game because when you say Dome of York it sounds like its referring to a dome within a city called York and it would need a The before it.

hope that explains why i made this thread.

sparrowtm
28-03-04, 22:21
Agreed, when you actually speak it out it sounds smoother and more correct. Still BDOY looks better than BTDOY :D

/jerk-mode off

Rieper
28-03-04, 22:25
so we can keep the acronym. Most acronyms skip out letters that arent important (like 'of' 'the' and 'and') if it makes it sounds better.

spongeb0b
28-03-04, 22:42
how about just DOY? i call it dome of york and forget beyond.

and stop this silly arguement. its stupid and pointless

:p

EDIT:: Grrr for bob being logged into my neocron forums :p Its DF really

Rieper
28-03-04, 22:45
because if people see a box cover and it looks like its been badly translated from russian to english by a korean rice picker it might put them off.
The point is that without knowledge of the city being called its bad grammar, and while that may be fine for a small niche game with a population who've grown to accept it but when its splashed all over the place in ads and whatever else, then its not going to look good.

amfest
28-03-04, 22:52
you really think people who come on online games and end up saying pwn! 0wnz!!11111111 j00 suck0r or what not are really going to care if it says beyond the dome of york or not? If it puts them off then coming into the game and seeing that sort of thing in the chat is going to put them off more than anything lol

Shujin
28-03-04, 23:32
most abreviations dont show of/a/the/on/in etc.
ex:
The United States of America. USA
The United Kingdom. UK

Ryuben
29-03-04, 01:49
point<-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->posts on this thread

ex-machina
29-03-04, 01:56
Apologies if this has already been said, think of it in realworld terms.

Neocron and Dome of York are cities, right? So lets get some fantastic real world cities in here.

Neocron: Beyond the New York
Neocron: Beyond the Paris
Neocron: Beyond the London.

Doesn't work, does it?

It's not York, with a dome around it. The city is actually called Dome of York. It got this name thanks to its dome, but it's still Dome of York.

Edit: You did say that :P I can totally see your point, but either way is accurate linguistically, doesn't strike me as a bad translation at all.

To pick up on what you said again:

"When talking about an object you put the before it. For instance think of Cathedral. If Townsville has only one cathedral it is The Cathedral of Townsville. _but_ if the name of the actual city is Cathedral of Townsville then you dont need The before it."

Think about James Bond film, Moonraker. Moonraker is the name of a station or shuttle or something in that film (been many years since I've seen it) but noone has a problem with the fact that there is no The behind it.

Rieper
29-03-04, 02:19
as long as it doesnt put people off the game i dont mind :) like i said, it grated with me.

Mr Friendly
29-03-04, 02:41
think to urself, what sounds better?

beyond The Dome of York
or
Beyond Dome of York
====translation====
beyond this city
or
beyond this awesome big@$$ city

u see? the feeling of this awesome & big@$$ makes it sound & feel better

petek480
29-03-04, 02:52
All I got to say is that this game doesn't need people that woudln't buy a game becuase it's name wasn't grammatically correct. They would be bitching about everything.

darknessfairy
29-03-04, 10:57
Originally posted by petek480
All I got to say is that this game doesn't need people that woudln't buy a game becuase it's name wasn't grammatically correct. They would be bitching about everything.

In the words of Cannings "True dat"

MISS WHIP
29-03-04, 12:03
Dont give them any ideas just now they delay the release to change the title lol..:lol: :lol: