PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Help me pick my new car...

L0KI
28-03-04, 14:33
In 30 days, ill be buying a new car.

NOT brand new.

Somewhere between £5000 and £10000

I know how to search, but i want opinions of which to get and why...

The few cars im interested in are:

Subaru Impreza 2.0 WRX

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo

Nissan Skyline GT

Honda Civic 2.0 Type R

At the moment - looks wise, i like the Lancer, but performance, the Impreza is at the top...

Ive owned a mark 1 Toyota Mr2 and a Type R civic in the past...
So im used to quick, nice looking cars.

Anyone have any suggestions for other cars as well as these?

NOTE - I'm only 21, so Insurance is a bitch on ANYTHING OVER 2.0litre

Kal
28-03-04, 14:40
this one looks good :p

http://www.starprops.com/batmobile.jpg

i dont know much about cars, but i'd choose the impreza probally, provideing it dont look TOO bad

L0KI
28-03-04, 14:59
I just went to view this one:

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=71119669

1995 SUBARU IMPREZA 2.0 WRX (280
BHP), 1995, M reg. 50000 miles, STi spoiler, suede bucket seats, 16 alloys, quickshift g/box, turbo timer, e/w, e/m, a/c, T&T, ABS, ecu upgrade, never abused, best example around. £5,495 . Tel: or .

Zaq
28-03-04, 15:02
hehe I don't wanna see your insurance quotes :)

L0KI
28-03-04, 15:03
Originally posted by Zaq
hehe I don't wanna see your insurance quotes :)

you sure? :D

For those cars, roughly between £1700 to £2600 a year ;)

Thats with Pass Plus, 3 years no claims.

3 points tho - testing the MR 2 down the M1 :lol:

MisterP
28-03-04, 15:21
I really like the Evo's, dunno if u can pick up an Evo 6 fo that??

If I had they money, I'd go for the 8, but Im 19, and even with ur 3 yrs no claims, for the insurance, its gonna be hefty to say the least :(

THE_TICK!!!!
28-03-04, 15:37
well loki..the evo is probly the best over all chcice..with the skyline a close second...hmm since your so rich..can i get a loan :)

Danae
28-03-04, 16:38
I dunno about in the UK but, my family has always bought two kinds of cars, Subaru's and Chrystler's and they both are reliable and last forever. Even through stupid old women barreling through stop signs and smashing into your passengers side door :p

Kal
28-03-04, 17:01
Originally posted by Danae
I dunno about in the UK but, my family has always bought two kinds of cars, Subaru's and Chrystler's and they both are reliable and last forever. Even through stupid old women barreling through stop signs and smashing into your passengers side door :p

but can they survive OATH driving them :p

Oath
28-03-04, 18:04
Originally posted by Kal

Nothing can survive an oath attack :D :lol:

AWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!pemem e

Crackitakk
28-03-04, 18:13
get the porche suv

alig
28-03-04, 19:19
Err could u even come close to a skyline with that cash? anything above a R32 at the lowest and even they look shittish....and with an insurance group 20 on a skyline i think u would pay more insurance in 3 yrs than the actual car....

I would buy a lancer but again, they are pretty rare cars in UK and a decent new-ish one would set u back over 10k...u could prolly get a Evo5 at a push with 10k...Evos > Scoobys damn right! if u buy a scooby u wont stand out at all (money not well spent)...well not where im from anyway there are more scoobys than corsa's here :p

Revslad
28-03-04, 20:14
ma bro jus baught a 51 plate clio dynamique i think its 1.6 and its like top of the range and flys like a motherfucker :) and it only cost 6.5k :)

L0KI
28-03-04, 20:38
Originally posted by alig
Err could u even come close to a skyline with that cash? anything above a R32 at the lowest and even they look shittish....and with an insurance group 20 on a skyline i think u would pay more insurance in 3 yrs than the actual car....

I would buy a lancer but again, they are pretty rare cars in UK and a decent new-ish one would set u back over 10k...u could prolly get a Evo5 at a push with 10k...Evos > Scoobys damn right! if u buy a scooby u wont stand out at all (money not well spent)...well not where im from anyway there are more scoobys than corsa's here :p

Well m8,

Im actually looking at M plate Impreza, and Evo 3's.

Classic Skylines.
Ive owned an Insurance group 18 car in the past.

Evo 5 and 6 are way out of my price range.

Neocrons_coward
28-03-04, 22:39

hey dont diss old ladies... if it wasnt for them the road would be safe :P... hehe... and if they werent around it would be um.... no comment

GT_Rince
28-03-04, 23:12
As long as you don't mind a Volvo badge sitting at your ass end, then I can highly recommend one of these...
(hoping the link works...)

http://auto.consumerguide.com/images/autoreview/lrg/04904081990007LRG.jpg

http://www.car-pictures-photos-pics.com/Volvo/C70/21.jpg

http://www.car-pictures-photos-pics.com/Volvo/C70/17.jpg

Volvo C70 T5 GT. I had this same car, but in blue, for 3 years - and they do kick ass...

155MPH, 0-60 6.1 seconds - and the sounds the turbo makes when it starts winding up is beautiful...

I miss mine. And can be picked up for under 10K. Insurance was never too bad as they are a bitch to steal. With 3 years no claims, I paid £847 fully comp.

EDIT---

Oh, and mine was a hard top - I would imagine convertible is more expensive on insurance. Bottom pic is the same as mine.

alig
28-03-04, 23:15
Originally posted by L0KI
Well m8,

Im actually looking at M plate Impreza, and Evo 3's.

Classic Skylines.
Ive owned an Insurance group 18 car in the past.

Evo 5 and 6 are way out of my price range.

Ah...Dont mind me, im 19 and if it isnt on 19" alloys / 1" from the floor and has a spoiler that could make the car take off, then is doesnt suit me but i guess one day i'll grow up and realise there for people with lots of money :( and....not....for...me.

Have you not considered a Toyata Supra? there pretty hot cars and are quite cheap too, the nice ones (Supra RZ, probably about year 95 upwards ones)

linkage (http://www.supercars.net/cars/1993@$Toyota@$Supra%20Turbog.html)

Thats from 93 so even cheaper and goes like shit of a shovel.

One of my bro's mates mates had a classic-ish skyline, Black...just over 1000hp (no shit) with an exhaust you could put your head in litterally and it would make the floor shake as it went past...it was like a 92 - 95 skyline..it was pretty evil to say the least!

MisterP
29-03-04, 00:12
I go all shakey looking at em Supra's

I heard though that the twin turbo 6 speed manual are fairly rare, as most are automatics - quicker, but less fun ;)

I'd love one! :D

Insurance for me, some region of £12000 probably lol! :eek:

.hack//sign
29-03-04, 00:51
get a lancer:angel:

Danae
29-03-04, 10:46
Originally posted by Kal

hehe I don't think I could afford to put Oath on my insurance :p

Oath
29-03-04, 10:49
hehe I don't think I could afford to put Oath on my insurance :p
The question is..............

Would you want to :D :lol:

1st gear....vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrom 2nd gear..........vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooom 3rd gear.....VVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM 4th gear, 5th gear,

oops there goes an old lady, oh well its only paintwork........

100, 120, 130, 140, 150 back end spins out........WWWWWHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.SCRRRRREEEEEEEEECHHHHHHHHHHH BOOOOOOOOOOM.

HRHRHRHRHRHHRHR

Anyway.........

This is probably another one of those tastless posts gotter likes so much :D :lol:

Peace out homesfries.

Danae
29-03-04, 10:51
ok, but i have an 84 oldesmobile atm...it's automatic, and currently my brother is using it in the states so i assume it's nearly on it's last leg...

may my pimpmobile rest in peace!

switchback
29-03-04, 11:21
also look at a mrk2 celica gt. its 4 weel drive and very fast. you can get them in 1.8 and 2 litre and should be about 5 grand or less depending on condition. and also dont forget a nisan starlit. they look old and cheapish and yes they are a hatchback but they also do 60 in about 6.5 secs. noone sitting beside you at the traffic lights will think you have a chance beating them in a race and then woosh...... they crap there pants.

hinch
29-03-04, 11:23
rabbi

try for a ford F350

btw evo 7 and 8 miles out perform teh scoobys well the fq 300 anf 330 do the 330+ is a beast also but is brand new and retails at about 39k

Nightbrother
29-03-04, 11:25
If you want to look incredibly cool, go for a Corvette Stingray. I've always wanted to own one, and I will some day, although me being 7'3'', I'm not sure I would fit in it. :)

It's not very economic though, although the car itself can be bought rather cheaply.

switchback
29-03-04, 11:28
bah economic, i drive a chevy blazer, its a 4.3 litre V6. nice and quick, but 18MPG not nice.

El_MUERkO
29-03-04, 11:52
I'd go with the Imprezza, the Evo is a great car but for the money yo want to pay you can get a better imprezza than Evo. Get it checked by the AA or RAC I dont care what anyone says if they owned a WRX they've put the foot to the floor more than once.

jernau
29-03-04, 12:09
Originally posted by El_MUERkO
I'd go with the Imprezza, the Evo is a great car but for the money yo want to pay you can get a better imprezza than Evo. Get it checked by the AA or RAC I dont care what anyone says if they owned a WRX they've put the foot to the floor more than once.

Basically, what he said.

Whichever you get it's going to have been ragged and repairs could easily set you back a large proportion of the cost of the car.

Check when the major services (cam belts, etc.) are needed and look carefully over the service history. A lot of people sell cars like this because they are due a £1-2000 service in the next year so be very careful. Also make sure that things like AC, power steering/brakes and all the electronics are working (ie test drive it for 30 mins+ and play with all the buttons) - if they break you'll be in for a nasty shock.

Paying a few quid to get a 3rd party check done is money well spent. Depending where you are buying it from you might want to do a background check with the DVLA in-case it's got a bad history (accidents/etc.). There's a company that can do that for you for about £10 and also give you a report on the model including recalls/issues/known problems/etc. but I can't find the link atm. If I find it I'll PM you.

As for "nice looking", I guess that's a matter of taste. The Subarus/Evos may be fast but I'd never in a million years call them lookers.

Azrael104
29-03-04, 14:53
Gah, Rabbi is same age as meh :wtf: :D

I would recommend a VW Corrado VR6

I drive one myself, its a hella fun car.
2.9 Litre V6
200 Horsepower (bit naff for its engine size but itll go to 400Bhp+ with the right modifications:D)
Mines lowered 40/60 millimeters (Front/Back) K&N Shocks.
Sport Airfilter (dunno what there called in english)
ClimateControl
Full Leather interior
Everything Electric (cept Seats)
0-100KmH in 6 seconds
Does 260 KmH at full whack (dont know what that is in miles)
Hey, i know most cars built today have all that gadetry as standard, but it aint bad for a Car that was built in '92

Beats shitty Astra's:D

Heres a pic, mine looks exactly the same but in red.
Meh Car. (http://www.autoscout24.de/home/index/detail.asp?ts=5308590&id=c2ygagkzzgj)

But the Insurance would be too high on it. There are some 2 Litre ones around though, i just not sure if there were any righthand drive ones built.

El_MUERkO
29-03-04, 15:07
If hes going to go for the classics then why not a Lancia Delta Integralia, 0 to 60 in 5 seconds but a faster 50 to 100 time than a Porche 911, it might look like a shoe box but hey quick is quick :)

Asatru
29-03-04, 15:40
now this is a car :)

http://www.fast-autos.net/opel/astraxtreme4.jpg

http://www.fast-autos.net/opel/astraxtreme12.jpg

http://www.fast-autos.net/opel/astraxtreme11.jpg

umm how do u make the picture show um, not just the url??

']['hor

MjukisDjur
29-03-04, 15:53
skyline gtr34 > all

You will not get one for that kind of cash though. Not one you want atleast. Damn you crazy people for not knowing which side to put the steering wheel on. And to rebuild a skyline with zx300 parts is doable but wtf... the pain

Something like this would be nice (ok this one is ugly but the HP... :eek: )
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/324721

Otherwise you can buy my car. 5300 Euro (need to replace cylinder gasket)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/206127

metalangel
29-03-04, 16:46
My dream car is either the Impreza Wagon WRX... or the Nissan Fairlady 300ZX... which I bet you could get for under £10k if you looked hard enough. Here's a pic

http://www.nissanpartswholesale.com/images/nissan-300ZX.jpg

Actually LOOKS LIKE a sports car, unlike some of the ugly things they make nowadays...

THE_TICK!!!!
29-03-04, 17:28
well man if you want totally origianol...DODGE SRT4 should do the trick they HOT man HOT :)

metalangel
29-03-04, 18:44
http://www.arabam.com/fuar/2002/detroit/dodge_srt4.jpg

It's a MUTANT NEON!

L0KI
29-03-04, 18:59
Due to a change in careers, i MAY be able to afford a brand new impreza or equivalent (around £20,000).

:D

EDIT - After reading all these posts....

My current Favourites are:

Nissan Skyline GTR34
Impreza WRX
Lancer Evo 6
Mazda Rx7 - dont comment till uve seen it ;)

alig
29-03-04, 19:19
wtf lol a career change overnight :p isnt the skyline R34 like one of the latest ones and cost £60'000 ~ over here so second hand i dunno if ya could get one for 20k unless its wrote off :eek: dont buy an impreza man....they are womens cars for a start, they are slower 0 - 60 and top speed than an evo and an evo looks the part unless u are gunna buy a 22b or p1 impreza then the evo > scooby in looks and performance but the scooby > evo when u phone up for insurance :p and an rx7 *drools* they look shit hot bog standard.

I'd say get a skyline but u'll need more money than that to buy the R34 (latest, im sure) so get an evo.

Dru Blood
29-03-04, 19:21
personaly i think the impreza is crap, the body looks awful and the factory engine is poor, chuck and extra 700quid at the engine and youve got something quick though.

that opc astra is quick nice car too,

my next project is a c20let astra mk3 or 4 with nitrous purge kit, ride height adjusable suspension and lots of aftermarket engine work.

subaru beater and less harsh on the wallet, if you want something fast head into the modified scene,

the civic type r engine is fantastic, those babies rev limits are so high, run a high boost through that and you make yourself cum just revving it.

but the choice is yours :D

::edit::

also had my eye out for a toyota celica gt4 with about 700 quid of extras under the bonnet i think i can rest assured id beat most factory imprezas

jernau
29-03-04, 19:40
Originally posted by El_MUERkO
If hes going to go for the classics then why not a Lancia Delta Integralia, 0 to 60 in 5 seconds but a faster 50 to 100 time than a Porche 911, it might look like a shoe box but hey quick is quick :)

Well, if neither money nor sense are an issue he should go for a Lotus Carlton. Not good if you want to keep your license of course....

THE_TICK!!!!
29-03-04, 19:51
SRT4 SRT4 SRT4 SRT4...HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT WRX EATER WRX EATER...DRAG KING DRAG KING:D

MkVenner
29-03-04, 20:10
for 10k u could get a 2nd hand Lexus iS RS 200Z...thats what im getting for £9354...and it comes with a few "extra's"....

other than that id go with a Evo, cant stand impreza's...skylines rock.

another choice would be a 1 or 2 year old MG ZR (go for the 1.8 models, 1.6's r crap) or if you can get past the Vauxhall image a Vauxhall Vectra 2.5 V6, there insanly powerful for the cost but insurance is insane...

Or an oldish BMW 3 series...

or...well i could go on for eva :P

MjukisDjur
29-03-04, 20:42
oh and for the impreza, test drive it. If you like cheap ass interior and high road sound then its the car for you... To bad since its actually fun as hell to drive.

Mazda rx7... one word :wankel
stick to regular engines :)

Rade
29-03-04, 20:51
Get a Nissan, theyre incredible. Never ever have problems for
some reason.

fatwreck
29-03-04, 20:53
Originally posted by L0KI
Mazda Rx7 - dont comment till uve seen it ;)

get that. they are hands down the most fun car ive driven (besides a few exotics but those dont count) the handling will blow your mind and with a little upgrade to the cooling and apex seals they are alot more reliable than given credit for.

Prodigious
29-03-04, 21:02
i couldnt be arsed to read it all but i seen something in the first few posts

well not where im from anyway there are more scoobys than corsa's here :p

im guessing you are talking about UK here :rolleyes:

damn scooby-doo not-impreza, well not any more anyway.

for 10K you ever thought about a nissan sunny gti-r?

your looking at 2litres in a cool lil hot hatch.

my uncles spent a fare few on his but your looking at a 5second car (that 0-60 for all you over the atlantic, not 1/4 mile :p)

to be honest, i think most of your choice cars there are kinda heavy on insurance for a 21 year old? i dont know, correct me if im wrong......

with 10K though, id buy a mk2 golf in top nick :cool:

oh....and

Evos > Scoobys damn right!

MkVenner
29-03-04, 21:39
GT40 is one of the best cars ive tested, or the GT500 shelby, but that dont do corners so...

Vampire222
29-03-04, 22:45
buy a nissan skyline, the r32 version is actually affordable secondhand.... and with some hks shit in it youll pwn anyone in redlight greenlight byebye style, and since your from uk, thats another advantage, theres only ones with the steer right, unless their seriously modded