PDA

View Full Version : [OT]The Bastardization of Asimov for Will Smith...

Rieper
27-03-04, 05:35
Just saw the I, Robot trailer on apple.com and it wasnt what i expected. Asimov is the master of the Robot as Pathos genre, and the foundation movies could shape up to be an epic set of films, but fuck me, 'I, Robot' looks appalling. It takes a good short story and turns it into a action movie about murderous robots and doing what looks to be turning US Robots and Mechanical men into an evil corporation (in the books, they're the likebale ones!)

The three laws have been changed for the trailer.. the things i thought that were good was the look of the robots, i think thats excellent. but anyhow, go take a look at the trailer and decide for yourself. I like will smith, and i love asimov, but to call this film i, robot is a bit of a piss take imo.

Mattimeo
27-03-04, 05:42
Thank god I'm not the only asimov fan who foudn this appalling.

It really is just a slap in the face for anyone who is an asimov fan.
The least they could have done was get the Laws right...

athon
27-03-04, 16:09
Appalling.

They changed the rules? How the fuck did they think they could get away with that? Pure idiocy.

Robin Williams et al did Bicentenial Man far better. An excellent film enjoyable by the whole family that.

Making robots look cool is easy. It's following the original story that's the hard part - as is well shown here.

Athon Solo

Cytaur
27-03-04, 16:20
[edited for violation of the forum rules -- trolling]

Glok
27-03-04, 16:23
Originally posted by Cytaur
[edited for consistency -- Vithar] What the fuck are you talking about? Did you read anything besides the title?

sw1tch
27-03-04, 16:24
[edited for consistency -- Vithar]

huh?

no one has said anything is wrong with a black guy playing a movie based off a classic sci-fi book. I dont see where you are comming from with that :confused:

trigger hurt
27-03-04, 16:27
[edited for consistency -- Vithar]

I am guessing you haven't read said sci-fi book and then watched said trailer.

Total and blatant fuck up. But because it's will smith, the movie is gonna make millions of dollars and turn a great story into a peice of shit.

Ai was a much better movie than this.

Cytaur
27-03-04, 16:28
come on you bookworms, didn't you notice the ":rolleyes:" ?

sw1tch
27-03-04, 16:31
:rolleyes: makes it look like you are looking at the previous thread and going tut tut, well thats just me :p glad ur not serious tho heh.

anyway, i havent read the original book, but I, Robot, does just seem like a mindless hollywood action film when it could have been something more special and cooler

Rieper
27-03-04, 16:31
yeah but it wasnt funny or clever. adding a smily doesnt do anything unless the content of your post wasnt a pile of crap in the first place. In your case it just didnt make sense.

but i digress. this can be an interesting film perhaps, but i dont like their use of Asimov's title to make a film about robots that are nothing like his stories about robots.

Darth Slayer
27-03-04, 19:49
Somebody should have programmed Skynet with Asimovs rules......... Erm then I suppose it wou;d'nt have been much good as a Ubar Defense computer. Bring on the Terminators.....:D

icarium
27-03-04, 19:55
Originally posted by trigger hurt

to me that is the worst insult you can throw at a film lol. dont forget the vast majority of moviegoers are idiots who dont like a decent story and wont have even heard of isaac asimov. just console yourselves with the fact it will be all the sweeter when that giant meteorite hits :D

edit: hehe just watched the trailer, ane leaving aside the raping of asimovs good name, it does look quite entertaining lol. i'll get my coat :angel:

Heavyporker
27-03-04, 22:07
Hey... why'd you throw down on AI?

I mean, it looked cool as fuck and I was actually able to follow most of the movie... it's just that the end threw me off, kinda.

Something about robot wanna be human and all that shit.

icarium
27-03-04, 22:55
it dissed my brain with its whack shit. so i had to split its wig. homey :)

HumphreY
27-03-04, 23:11
That's bad. Hope they never come up with the idea to turn UBIK into an action movie, man...

Psycho Killa
27-03-04, 23:14

Wow thats funny I thought the movie was coming out in july how did u see it already? :rolleyes:

Anyways give it a chance. How often do movies follow a story exactly off of a book. They almost never ever ever do yet they still manage to make good movies.

As for the trailer it shows promise but then again it could be a total piece of shit. How about we wait til the movie comes out before we go all nutty about it?

Gotterdammerung
28-03-04, 00:25
Originally posted by Heavyporker
Hey... why'd you throw down on AI?

I mean, it looked cool as fuck and I was actually able to follow most of the movie... it's just that the end threw me off, kinda.

Something about robot wanna be human and all that shit.

Ai was simply a sytlized retelling of Pinnocchio

L0KI
28-03-04, 01:11
Originally posted by Gotterdammerung
Ai was simply a sytlized retelling of Pinnocchio

Best description of the film ive ever come across to be honest.

You should be a critic ;)

Oh and Rieper, for once, i agree with you entirely.

jernau
28-03-04, 03:26

Ouch, that's just evil.

I fear however you may be right :(.

Not even worth my bandwidth to "steal" it I expect.

Necrosadistic
28-03-04, 03:27
well, they didn't get the laws of robotics wrong... they just said them in a very primitive mass pop culture way....

and as usual, will smith tries to appeal to people in this typical pop-culture way, with his "street speak" which I think is not approproate for Asimov's philosophical and logical stories...

icarium
28-03-04, 13:43
if they'd been true to the story though nobody but us lot would have gone to see it lol

jernau
28-03-04, 13:51
Originally posted by icarium
if they'd been true to the story though nobody but us lot would have gone to see it lol

Yeah, after all it's only one of the best selling sci-fi stories of all time and the most famous work of the best selling sci-fi author....

icarium
28-03-04, 14:09
Originally posted by jernau
Yeah, after all it's only one of the best selling sci-fi stories of all time and the most famous work of the best selling sci-fi author....

you are forgetting, most people are idiots ;)

btw did you know iain m banks isnt writing any more sci-fi? :eek: :(

Rieper
28-03-04, 14:20
like i said, i have no problem with the film.. its just twisting asimov that i take umbrage to :p

and the first law was missing the "through inaction" part and asimov wrote a short story about that, "little lost robot" which showed what happens when a robot can let a human die through inaction....

jernau
28-03-04, 14:36
you are forgetting, most people are idiots ;)

I never forget that - it's on my wall, my car and my t-shirt.

btw did you know iain m banks isnt writing any more sci-fi? :eek: :(

No, I didn't. Wtf? Why? Where did he say that? :( :( If true that's a fecking disaster, someone go slap the man.

icarium
28-03-04, 16:21
that was exactly my response. my boss told me hed read an interview somewhere. hes just gonna stick to his standard fiction. which are possibly some of the most boring books i have ever read. :( he probably doesnt sell enough sci fi to make big bucks so hes sticking where the money is.

big cheque > artistic integrity

jernau
28-03-04, 16:34
that was exactly my response. my boss told me hed read an interview somewhere. hes just gonna stick to his standard fiction. which are possibly some of the most boring books i have ever read. :( he probably doesnt sell enough sci fi to make big bucks so hes sticking where the money is.

big cheque > artistic integrity

I don't know which of his books sold better/worse but I assumed the SF stuff did as he seems more known for that and reviews/articles make more mention of it.

I like his non-SF stuff a lot but I prefer his SF books.

icarium
28-03-04, 16:57
i dont normally like non sci-fi tbh. it would be a shame if it was true. apparently he cant think of any more stories for sci-fi 0_0

jernau
28-03-04, 17:06
I can't find anything on his site about it or a few of the fan-sites though all of them seem a bit out of date (nothing since Dead Air).

He has said something similar (about "run out of SF stories") a few times now, usually just after he finished one. Hopefully it's just writers block or a bit of a publicity stunt.

icarium
28-03-04, 17:12
Originally posted by jernau
I can't find anything on his site about it or a few of the fan-sites though all of them seem a bit out of date (nothing since Dead Air).

He has said something similar (about "run out of SF stories") a few times now, usually just after he finished one. Hopefully it's just writers block or a bit of a publicity stunt.

we can only hope. seen as he inspired the names for all your characters (that i know of) and my first ever character. in fact thats how i got talking to you lol =P

TraumaTeam
28-03-04, 18:13
I was skeptical when I first heard Asimov and Smith in the same sentence. The teaser trailer showed promised, but the one with the actual footage has me concerned.

Don't get me wrong, I love Will Smith. I also believe he can actually act instead of all the summer blockbuster crap he gets buried in. (If you haven't seen "Six Degress of Seperation", go rent it. The man has some chops...)

However, to me this would be like Rosanne Barr's Lady MacBeth. Some things should stay true to the source material. Look at Planet of the Apes. The original was a brilliant portrait of racism. The remake was just pointless. It's like making Farenheit 451 all about firefighters and leaving out the theme of censorship.

Heavyporker
29-03-04, 02:47
Pinocchio... well... come to think of it, yeah, I suppose that's accurate...

still, it was fucking cool. I'm a sucker for high-tech. And moreever, you have to admit, as a possiblity for the future, it's awful accurate.

Mmm... you can have your Gigolo Joe, I wanna my Gennifer Jennifer or whatever. That, and I want that flying thingie.