PDA

View Full Version : Please let me know: I don't use NLpro because:

BramTops
24-03-04, 20:48
Just a little "customer"-enquiry... I'd like to know where I should focus my time on...

Please dont select more than 2 or 3 options! Take the most important ones.

Other feedback is always appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Mighty Max
24-03-04, 20:57
Darn im missing the options,
because using NLPro on the developer machine for ItemGFX isnt a good idea :P Mixing two versions ....

Glok
24-03-04, 21:01
I'm happy to wait for official stuff, and while ItemGFX is cool, it's not something I spend a lot of time looking at, just when switching imps and stuff... also I don't use winamp either. However, if MM can get the web browser functional, I will use NLPro. :)

Sheba
24-03-04, 21:12
Originally posted by BramTops
Just a little "customer"-enquiry... I'd like to know where I should focus my time on...

Please dont select more than 2 or 3 options! Take the most important ones.

Other feedback is always appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Sorry should have mentioned this "Love the Program" graphic inhancements are great! And being able to play a little techno music while I am in game is wonderful. I honestly don't know why more people don't use it? And its a nice way to keep in touch between useing the forums and actual in game messaging!
Perhaps a built in skill asssistant with quick quide to parts and recipes for trade skills etc.

Psyco Groupie
24-03-04, 21:16
Originally posted by Glok
I'm happy to wait for official stuff, and while ItemGFX is cool, it's not something I spend a lot of time looking at, just when switching imps and stuff... also I don't use winamp either. However, if MM can get the web browser functional, I will use NLPro. :)

was gonna say that - the web browser will get tons of new customers ... also the beta testing helped this time around - but there was still a prob for some :) ... a few whiners = unconvinced noobies

Myrlin
24-03-04, 21:17
I'm not comfortable running another program that interacts with NC for a few reasons.

1) Because of the number of account hacks reported on these forums I worry about the security of other programs.

2) If you're gathering character name and reporting it back to some central server (in order to make the forum signatures work) how can I be sure you're not also grabbing my password?

3) Running a program that modifies the graphics while NC is trying to load them could lead to stability issues that I would rather not deal with. I have enough trouble dealing with FREs/syncing/graphics bugs as it is.

4) The website doesn't do enough to sell the product. Word of mouth on the forums is great, but if I want more info the only option is to download it and try it. Expand the website to include pictures of the interface, pictures of the enhanced images ingame, sound files for the new sounds, etc.

Jest
24-03-04, 21:27
Tbh its not that I dont trust NL Pro, its that I dont want to get shrugged off from tech support because of it. If I get hacked on an account I don't share, and they ask me if I use any third party programs and I have to answer yes I use NL Pro. I don't want to give them a reason to shrug me off cause I know they'll do it. Also, third party programs make me very uncomfortable even if I trust the author, you never know if a forth party can some how exploit it.

From what I've seen of NL Pro its very cool, but not necessary. I can live without it so I do. :p

Stigmata
24-03-04, 21:30
no option there for mine..................

cant be arsed to download a new version everytime a patch is installed.

BramTops
24-03-04, 21:32
Let me comment...

Originally posted by Myrlin
I'm not comfortable running another program that interacts with NC for a few reasons.

1) Because of the number of account hacks reported on these forums I worry about the security of other programs.
If NLpro WAS a security risk, dont you think it wouldnt have been exposed by now with so many users ;).

2) If you're gathering character name and reporting it back to some central server (in order to make the forum signatures work) how can I be sure you're not also grabbing my password?

I'm currently NOT gathering characternames. The names you see in the sigs are the ones people entered themselves in their NLpro account. Also, the "i'm online"-notice is based ONLY on when the last launch was.

Gathering real character names and online status IS something that will come though. But that's used together with the browser function. And this is how it works: the script loads an URL in the backgound. Something like this: online.php?charname=CHAR&server=SERVER&etc.... And you are correct, if the script COULD detect the password, I could send the password to my server. But there's NO WAY the scripts can detect/extract/retreive your account password in ANY way..

Back me up on this, MightyMax.. ;)

3) Running a program that modifies the graphics while NC is trying to load them could lead to stability issues that I would rather not deal with. I have enough trouble dealing with FREs/syncing/graphics bugs as it is.

If everything is installed correctly (what happens about 98% of the time), you will not get any *MORE* FRE's :D

4) The website doesn't do enough to sell the product. Word of mouth on the forums is great, but if I want more info the only option is to download it and try it. Expand the website to include pictures of the interface, pictures of the enhanced images ingame, sound files for the new sounds, etc.
Uhm..... Have you checked www.creITive.com/neocron lately? There ARE now detailed description of all the features... WITH screenshots.. ;)

Napalm82
24-03-04, 21:36
I use NL PRO (Or i DID till nvidia's driver screwed me over) and i love it deeply, the 2 thinks i love most id the custom crosshairs and the winamp controls.

Guess where i placed the X

- Napalm

Cytaur
24-03-04, 21:52
I don't use it because I'm happy with default launcher.

Invertigo
24-03-04, 21:59
i did use it, but when all those hacked accounts started i stoped...

and i believe you when you say theres no spyware or anything...its just i dont want KK to make excuses if i get hacked too...

metalangel
24-03-04, 22:15
I wish I'd found it earlier, the Winamp controls are great!

Clownst0pper
24-03-04, 22:21
Its 3rd party, and not officially KK's product.

3rd party brings connotations of lack of support, and no real person to moan at.

Usually 3rd party spells disaster, and NL pro has already fucked NC up once, wont use it again, sorry! :(

Myrlin
24-03-04, 22:22
If NLpro WAS a security risk, dont you think it wouldnt have been exposed by now with so many users ;).

Lots of people have been hacked. No one knows how it is happening. I'm not saying that NLPro was involved in anyway, but I'm not willing to increase my chances by using 3rd party programs that directly interface with the game.

I'm currently NOT gathering characternames. The names you see in the sigs are the ones people entered themselves in their NLpro account. Also, the "i'm online"-notice is based ONLY on when the last launch was.

Gathering real character names and online status IS something that will come though. But that's used together with the browser function. And this is how it works: the script loads an URL in the backgound. Something like this: online.php?charname=CHAR&server=SERVER&etc.... And you are correct, if the script COULD detect the password, I could send the password to my server. But there's NO WAY the scripts can detect/extract/retreive your account password in ANY way..

Back me up on this, MightyMax.. ;)

Perhaps your current scripts can't get the password, but you could easily log key strokes to get the password. If that's not possible in the scripting language you could call another program that could get the password and pass it back to the original program.

If everything is installed correctly (what happens about 98% of the time), you will not get any *MORE* FRE's :D

I'm not sure its possible to get *MORE* FREs. I'm pretty sure KK has set a world record with that one ;)

Uhm..... Have you checked www.creITive.com/neocron lately? There ARE now detailed description of all the features... WITH screenshots.. ;)

I just checked it out. Very nice upgrade to the site. I'd still like to see some of the sound files made available as uncompressed wavs or mp3s but I know its hard to get the original creators to make those.

Overall I think NLPro is a great idea, just not something I'm willing to try out at this time.

Darken
24-03-04, 22:24
Well BramTops
im ussing the NNL
The Neocronnetworklauncher
www.neocronnetworklauncher.de
Its like german version of it.
Has winamp control etc. too :)
If the NNL wouldnt exist i would maybe use urs :P

borl
24-03-04, 22:38
It doesn't give me anything I need/want. I already run ItemGFX.

icarium
24-03-04, 23:22
essentially- i dont need it, so why complicate an already buggy game?

from what i have seen of it it looks very well put together but frankly there are very few people in this world i trust and unfortunately random anonymous people on discussion groups arent amongst that select few :p no disrespect to your good self :)

Mighty Max
24-03-04, 23:45
Perhaps your current scripts can't get the password, but you could easily log key strokes to get the password. If that's not possible in the scripting language you could call another program that could get the password and pass it back to the original program.

The Tool itself (ItemGFX within NLPro) does not retrieve your account info at all.

For all the things done in those scripts: They are in plain text. Everyone can read through them. I know not everyone has programming knowledge, but some along us (or maybe a friend of yours) do and can ensure you of its content. Scripts cant start other executable files on your PC*.

*The webbrowser script starts an InternetExplorer instance tho, but that is hard coded to its guid.

But for the Tool's exe itself, i only can say that you have to trust me with it. I cant share this code with you or anyone that is not permitted by KK.

I was at everytime open to send it to KK. And they had no problem, nor did i ever get banned ... thats all i can do for my reputation.

phunqe
24-03-04, 23:55
Originally posted by Jest
Tbh its not that I dont trust NL Pro, its that I dont want to get shrugged off from tech support because of it. If I get hacked on an account I don't share, and they ask me if I use any third party programs and I have to answer yes I use NL Pro. I don't want to give them a reason to shrug me off cause I know they'll do it. Also, third party programs make me very uncomfortable even if I trust the author, you never know if a forth party can some how exploit it.

From what I've seen of NL Pro its very cool, but not necessary. I can live without it so I do. :p

Jest makes an excellent point here.

It's not that people don't trust your program BramsTops, many persons don't install it because of the above. Basically it doesn't matter if like Adobe were to develop some itemGFX stuff for NC. If it isn't approved (certified) by KK, the above implications will always be true :(

amfest
25-03-04, 00:05
yes Jest says it best for me. That's pretty much what I think. Even if your program isn't the cause of the hack I will get the cold shoulder. Also for those winamp controls which seems very cool I don't think it would work very well on my PC since I run at 640x480 I think the controls would be VERY VERY squashed looking and I wouldn't be able to access them or maybe they would be overlapped on the rest of the text? Not sure how it's put there. Also with that low res the song changes would scroll my text messages off my chat window very quickly especially with trade-nc and ooc on :D

StryfeX
25-03-04, 00:28
With the new support policies you get shrugged off anyway. So why not use NLPro?

That being said, I use it and love it.

--Stryfe

Jock Rockwell
25-03-04, 00:34
Originally posted by StryfeX
With the new support policies you get shrugged off anyway. So why not use NLPro?

That being said, I use it and love it.

--Stryfe

Here here.

Never had probs, never been hacked, love everything that it adds.

Keep up the good work. :)

Maarten
25-03-04, 00:51
If you guys are worried about a program that is meddling with your Neocron installation, turn ItemGFX off in the installation. The modifactions that don't need ItemGFX are simply files with the right name that are put in the right place. Not a single Neocron file will be changed.

And even if you don't want to do that, you can always install using the Minimum option. This will only give you the new launcher window. You can't tell me the original launcher is better...

Shadow Dancer
25-03-04, 01:24
I'm wary of 3rd party programs. Better safe than sorry.

Spartan
25-03-04, 02:25
Tried using it. Don't know why but started experiencing massive problems logging in and stability in general. Uninstalled it and Neocron went back to its normal level of bugginess.

BramTops
25-03-04, 05:15
Okok... I get the point.

Biggest problem so far is that
- people cant be 100% sure to trust me (or MightyMax).
- people think that KK will blame NLpro if somethings goes wrong.

People saying that it wouldn't add anything they'd like/need certainly haven't tried it. (Dit you like/need a car/cellphone/etc. before you had it? :D).

Another arguement was the lack of support. I can tell you that support for NLpro and ItemGFX is far more better/frequent than you get from KK (no flame intended). Just see the massive threads full of responses from me and MightyMax. Not to mention the PM's and e-mails i get (NLpro@creITive.com).... Sure MM has/does the same.

Anyway... I guess there's no *REAL* way to 100% prove that me and MM are thrustworthy. But I'd like you to consider this:
Me and MightyMax are very well known to KK and the other people (you) here.
If we would do anything (intentionally) harmfull to you, your computer and/or your neocron account. We'd both risk/get permanent bans!

And you *know* that we love this game to much to get banned. ;)

Another point... The time it takes to create this add-ons is.. well... a lot! Why spend really this so freaking many hours (I could have capped 4 chars in that time -- believe me), just to get everybody angry, my account canceled and myself permantly banned....

Basicly.. it are these *facts* and our *reputations* that will have to earn your trust.

If I'd know it would help, I'd ask KK for an "official aproved by KK"-stamp. But I dont really know how they stand on this, and I don't like harassing/begging people ( <-- I'd really appreciate if a mod or anyone could comment on this though).

Bottomline is: I made this thing for myself in the first place. It got bigger. My friends wanted to use my "add-on". Finally I decided to release it to the public. I dont ask money. I'm doing this because it's good for my e-penis... uhm... I just like it, OK?!
But after this much effort, i'm very very sorry to hear that people dont trust me (Hell... I've never screwed over a clan ingame even)...

As for performance/stabilities issues: there's an "Safe mode"-installation type that for 100% sure can have no affect whatsoever on your performance and stability! This IS a FACT!

Katherine
25-03-04, 07:20
Frankly I don't really care enough about Neocron to install this. The only thing i would use alot would be winamp, and even that is a minimal addition to me.

It doesn't add alot more usability for me to install it, I'm really lazy.

naimex
25-03-04, 07:41
A LOT

Could you please just get some more stuff and release a new version, so I can have even more lovely stuff to look at ?

been using NL Pro ever since I got it working without making everything invisible.

Ultazha
25-03-04, 11:45
Missing a choice:

i already installed it and i removed it.

I got a problem with Alt+Tab with the NL Pro. When returning back to NC my screen became half black and no way to refresh it. I'm a heavy AltTaber :p so i removed it.

Expect this, it's a really good software.

Mighty Max
25-03-04, 11:48
This bug is solved in the current version Ultazha

Archeus
25-03-04, 11:49
Bramtops I'd like to make some mobile apps that will link to your NL Pro is that doable?

Ultazha
25-03-04, 11:49
Originally posted by Mighty Max
This bug is solved in the current version Ultazha

GREAT :D

* DLing the new version ;) *

LVirus
25-03-04, 12:12
What it is even? I just click Client.exe and off I play. Why do I need 3rd party program in memory to hog my resources and save where I am and what I am doing? LESS CONTROL, MORE FREEDOM!

hinch
25-03-04, 12:54
i voted doesnt give me anything i need/want i did use it for a short while but at the end of the day it was completely pointless

when i click the nc link i wanna go into the game not browse some little website in a little window sorry

as for the game updates them selfs well i can do all them manually. if i wanted to but i choose to leave the game almost standard.

borl
25-03-04, 13:17
People saying that it wouldn't add anything they'd like/need certainly haven't tried it.

I have tried it, and it adds nothing I need/want as ItemGFX is available seperately, and I already use the scripts that come with it, along with my own.

I have been using the skill manager for ages, with a few tweaks.

The crosshairs are not bad, but I already use my own.

I have no need for the inner city maps (I've been playing too long to realistically need any maps), and I already use a modified world map.

The drone HUD is nice, but I'm totally bored of levelling my droner, and a pretty HUD isn't going to change that :).

Everyone that I want to be aware of when I'm online already knows.

I removed the splash screen sometime in beta.

The only real reason I would have for using NLp is the graphics changes, but I made my own more functional way of differentiating the armour types a long time ago. Oh, and the sounds are nice too, but I've been using those before they were included in NLp.

Oh, and I often launch with client.exe. The whole "new launcher" is pointless for me, and I can't think of many features you could add which would change this.

BramTops
25-03-04, 13:29
So bacicly, borl... You ARE using NLpro -- but you just didn't use the installer... you installed the components manually... ;)

Archeus... What the h*ll do you mean with "mobile apps" linking into NLpro? PM/mail me the details....