View Full Version : Create a webpage?

Jesterthegreat
24-03-04, 17:11
ok all you geeks... too many boast about your web site making skills... and now i need to make a website for my boss.

anyone wanna whack together a basic page (leave info blank, stick in main page, news, events [dates / times of events], and possibly even a small forum / message board) so i got something to build on? i have never made a real website in my life so i got no clues.

well if anyone does wanna do this for me, email the files to me (if you dont have my email PM me for it)

thanks a bunch lads

NC Junkie

Psyco Groupie
24-03-04, 17:13
Freelance doesnt mean _free_ .. heheheh

Most people would make you a template for 20 quid or somat :P

cRazy2003
24-03-04, 17:13
never call me a fucking geek because i loathe them, really i do.
i can make some websites using page builders, but they suck :p
and i dont know feck about html
so meh

Jesterthegreat
24-03-04, 17:20
Originally posted by Psyco Groupie

heh... its for my boss, im not that bothered...

besides i can throw on together using Netscape or Internet Explorer, i did it before (although i forget which) hehe

just wanted it to look good... im already likely to be fired, getting in the bosses good books as much as possible would be a god idea haha

SynC_187
24-03-04, 17:23
Originally posted by Psyco Groupie

The last site template/CSS I did I charged £500 for.

L0KI
24-03-04, 17:34
heres an idea junkie ;)

Download, i mean, errr, BUY a copy of dreamweaver MX...

Then read a tutorial (should be able to read the whole thing in 2 hours).

There, easy as pie.
No HTML is essential, just an easy to use site developer.

Try getting hold of Fireworks as well, for web gfx - goes nicely with dreaweaver.

hinch
24-03-04, 17:46
just search for free templates on google :)

oh and jest we misses j00

we be at 3k posts in a week does that mean we spam alot?

SpawnTDK
24-03-04, 17:49
buy a book
learn to code it
editors for nibs ...

Strych9
24-03-04, 17:52
Originally posted by SpawnTDK
buy a book
learn to code it
editors for nibs ... LOL. Clearly spoken by someone that doesnt code for a living.

I am not sure why people think it is some way "better" to not use an editor... like its a badge of honor to use Notepad instead of something else.

You dont see mathematicians not using calculators cause they are hardcore or some such nonsense.

Why take the time to type out the tags for a 9x9 table when you can have an editor do it in 5 seconds?

Now I dont do any actual scripting using built in editor tools... but for standard HTML, I see no reason why NOT to use an editor of some sort. Hell... if nothing else the editors color code your text which makes things a lot easier.

SynC_187
24-03-04, 17:55
Originally posted by SpawnTDK
buy a book
learn to code it
editors for nibs ...

If you really knew anything about it you wouldn't call it "code".

HTML is just formatting tags.

hinch
24-03-04, 18:06
Originally posted by Strych9
LOL. Clearly spoken by someone that doesnt code for a living.

I am not sure why people think it is some way "better" to not use an editor... like its a badge of honor to use Notepad instead of something else.

You dont see mathematicians not using calculators cause they are hardcore or some such nonsense.

Why take the time to type out the tags for a 9x9 table when you can have an editor do it in 5 seconds?

Now I dont do any actual scripting using built in editor tools... but for standard HTML, I see no reason why NOT to use an editor of some sort. Hell... if nothing else the editors color code your text which makes things a lot easier.

lol i use notepad/vi/pico for everything that isnt VB or C++
and I used to be a professional developer before i changed to upper management :)

Psyco Groupie
24-03-04, 18:07
aka Markup :)

Strych9
24-03-04, 18:12
Originally posted by hinch
lol i use notepad/vi/pico for everything that isnt VB or C++
and I used to be a professional developer before i changed to upper management :) I code ASP for a living, so basically VB dropped down inside of HTML.

I use Dreamweaver. If I need to code a XML routine for parsing info from another website (or any other VB-based action), I just use Dreamweaver's text view, which is just a plain text editor that color codes the text on the screen for you (I just set up the custom colors I want for everything).

If I need to slap down actual HTML, I just switch to the graphical mode, put in whatever I need, then flip back to text for integration with my VB.

Let me guess, I bet you never copy and paste any code either, just code it all over from scratch every time, eh? ;)

hinch
24-03-04, 18:28
no i copy and paste like a bitch also maintain huge function and class libs

resusable code is your friend.

as for you coding asp i do know what it is :)

<<< mcsd and mcsd.net :)

but try visual interdev its many many many times better than dreamweaver.

having said that i hate dreamweaver with a vengance i tried it when it was first released and was like frontpage it generated completely useless html and formatting was all shite :)

Psyco Groupie
24-03-04, 18:30
lol someone got a .net qualification !

Strych9
24-03-04, 18:34
Originally posted by hinch
but try visual interdev its many many many times better than dreamweaver.I found the FTP and file updating aspect of DW just easier to use. And the MX dev suite is pretty nice.

I actually use VERY LITTLE of the features built in. Just use it for FTPing the files and the visual view for HTML and the text view for the actual coding. So the differences between them are virtually nonexistant to me.
having said that i hate dreamweaver with a vengance i tried it when it was first released and was like frontpage it generated completely useless html and formatting was all shite :) You must not have used it lately, and you must have only used the built in data functions.

Yeah, the code DW used to create was damn sloppy. On the flip side, the code that VI creates can be even worse. DW code, at least, all still functions properly in other editors. VI can put in some code that will only make ANY sort of sense inside of VI. I mean you can always fire up notepad and remove it... hehe.

But which editor you use is all presonal preference. If you know what you are doing thats all that matters.

hinch
24-03-04, 18:45
odd thing is i actually have studio mx 2004 professional installed on this machine now and right at this very moment i have flash open.

thing is i only have it cos i wanted flash mx pro :)

actionscript + xml + web services rocks but im only messing with it no intentions of getting into it big style .

btw if you use vi install sp 5 in it and it fixes its code generation crap where it puts rubbish in. it actually creates perfect code now

though with the change to .net the vs.net package is fucking amasing i cant stress how nice the application is to use its like OMG best ide ever :)