PDA

View Full Version : how large is the landmass in Neocron?

Exile
24-03-04, 16:34
Does anyone know roughly how large the area is or at least the size of each sector?

I'm trying to figure out why some games require zoning and others which appear to have the same size maps do not.

thx in advance,
Ex ...................

Capt. Rik
24-03-04, 16:37
There is a thread already open discussing zones etc.

Click here to see it (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94938)

Neocrons_coward
24-03-04, 17:03
the way i work it out is... From Brighton (england) to Oldham (funnly enough thats in england too.. are you that amazed...) its 6 hrs driving at 60 MPH and you cover aroud 350 odd miles.. Now from one end of the landscape neocron to the top in A 08 without getting blown up takes a little less than 6 hours in game time except you have to bear the fact that these space cars will drive around 80 MPH minimum with fantastic breaks and allow people to go through them when u mow them down (that needs fixing i wanna flatten people not see them avoid the death)... Now ive worked it out in Miles to be about 300 miles minimum.. so thats somewhere between birmingham and oldham as i dont know any places between the two poiunts... However going accross i dont know that one as the bastard swamp exists and i dont know how long that would take... Id need a car that lets me go on water.. GMS CREATE ONE PLZ im fed up of paying my insurance on my crappy bike at around 2,600 a day due to the enourmous crashes i do... Maybe its time to enforce a driving test in neocron.. Woo time for work lets go annoy em.. see u guys laters

cRazy2003
24-03-04, 17:22
if u go on the world map it says along the right hand side, well it did on the old map anyways, it said 3000 miles or KM me thinks not sure if it was miles or km tho

metalangel
24-03-04, 17:35
A droner and I measured it once, we took a scout drone with a 2km range and flew it across the zone... I think we eventually determined the world was 150km by 100km or something. It used to be on the Saturn Newsboard, but it's gone now...

SpawnTDK
24-03-04, 17:38
finally nc is to small ...
what ever the landsize ...

Exile
24-03-04, 21:04
Aces High is an online game I play that does not have zones. I believe the largest map is currently 512 miles x 512 miles (roughly 262,000 square miles). The max number in an arena is somewhere around 750.

Granted there are some differences in the games, but I think they are similar enough for this discussion.

How do other games like Aces High and basically every other flight sim I've played handle it without zones?

I can see entering the city as being a new zone, but I'm talking about out in the wastelands. That's where it appears to be very similar.

If it is a limitation of the 3D engine, will DOY be any different? ... or rather is the ability there with the new engine? If it is, why keep these small zones?

Neocrons_coward
25-03-04, 15:54
now the next question is

What is the population of all bugs insects and repitles... Including the locals... right u and you and of course you can all go bug hunting go cpount the mossies.;l...

numb
25-03-04, 16:11
Originally posted by Exile
If it is a limitation of the 3D engine, will DOY be any different? ... or rather is the ability there with the new engine? If it is, why keep these small zones?

I cant see DoY being any different. I believe that would require a completely different 3D engine and as far as I know they are just upgrading the current one to support features in Directx9, not completely rewriting it.

Neocrons_coward
25-03-04, 16:12
Originally posted by numb
I cant see DoY being any different. I believe that would require a completely different 3D engine and as far as I know they are just upgrading the current one to support features in Directx9, not completely rewriting it.

um think u got the wrong section... yet again i think he has too this is about landmass not doy lol

LiL T
25-03-04, 18:34
It is possible to have no zones look at WWiionline great game you can take off in england in a bomber fly across the sea to antwerp drop bombs on other players who are in tanks or on foot. Its a war simulation which I use to play and can have 64 players in one close area without laging to much theres no zones it just a continous rolling landscape. I wish they could do it in neocron NO more sync errors no more people zone jump fighting you can just chase them through the streets no escape :p