PDA

View Full Version : DoY

Moofausa
24-03-04, 05:56
It says Oasis's and camps will be added to the map and shit, but why not get rid of zones and make a humongous map like teh '******' SWG...this way no matter how long you play you dont know everything, or be able to fly to other planets... most of veterans of the game know every single part of neocrons maping system.. maybe this would make things less boring.. :confused: :confused:

Cytaur
24-03-04, 06:01
its impossible in neocron, because each zone is limited in how big it can be. So KK are lazy (i hope this isnt considered Staff Attack) to make bunch of these maps that will add nothing to the game....

You know what would OWN ? If there was a MMORPG with a zone size of the whole island of Far Cry ! That would just rule, imagine all the possibilities.

petek480
24-03-04, 06:10
Originally posted by Cytaur
You know what would OWN ? If there was a MMORPG with a zone size of the whole island of Far Cry ! That would just rule, imagine all the possibilities.
Are you talking about all the islands in far cry or just one? Becuase they're mmorpg with zones bigger then one of the islands on far cry.

Btw far cry fucking owns and is the best fps shooter i've played in years!!!

Myrlin
24-03-04, 06:11
So you want Dungeon Seige to be an MMORPG right? It's the only huge game that I know of that has no zone lines.

seratoz
24-03-04, 06:19
Ok can someone explain to me why there are zOneS?!?!? honestly i dont konw much about the game dynamics but i figure if they did it there must be a reason for it. Is it because it help cut down lag, not having all the people in one virtual area? Or because its makes cpu with less power/memory able to run the game due to less memory usage?

I dont understand why its not just one huge virtual map myself..... please help me out

g0rt
24-03-04, 06:21
Originally posted by Myrlin
So you want Dungeon Seige to be an MMORPG right? It's the only huge game that I know of that has no zone lines.

Actually DAOC zones are absolutely HUGE and its an MMORPG. Dungeon Seige could be an amazing mmorpg tbh.

Neocron has by far the smallest zones in the game, and it makes it easy for noobs to exploit the zonelines to escape death...'tis a shame but what can ya do.

petek480
24-03-04, 06:21
Originally posted by seratoz
Ok can someone explain to me why there are zOneS?!?!? honestly i dont konw much about the game dynamics but i figure if they did it there must be a reason for it. Is it because it help cut down lag, not having all the people in one virtual area? Or because its makes cpu with less power/memory able to run the game due to less memory usage?

I dont understand why its not just one huge virtual map myself..... please help me out
Probably becuase the games engine can't handle it.

-FN-
24-03-04, 07:02
Originally posted by Myrlin

PE has no 'visible' Zone Lines.

As far as I can tell, each zone is probably a physical server. So when one zone is "empty" of people, the server that is that zone either goes idle or helps process another zone tho I think it's the former and not the latter. It can sometimes take awhile to zone into a zone that hasn't had people in awhile due to everything reinitializing.

And Dungeon Siege could never be a great MMORPG simply due to the fact that MS coded wayyyyyyyy too much of it to be client-side. Everything would be hacked in the first week.

Invertigo
24-03-04, 07:13
well i only played the beta of farcry...and it was a pos on my comp...horrible lag/sound problems... but whatever:rolleyes:

a couple of the continents in planetside are pretty big... im not sure how big the main island is in farcry...but planetside pwns:D

Psychoninja
24-03-04, 07:32
PlanetSide and SWG maps are HUGE. All the neocron zones would probably equal one PS continent or one SWG planet. I don't think it's a question of wether or not they want to do it, I think it's more of a question of "Is it possible?"

Invertigo
24-03-04, 07:40
Originally posted by Psychoninja
PlanetSide and SWG maps are HUGE. All the neocron zones would probably equal one PS continent or one SWG planet. I don't think it's a question of wether or not they want to do it, I think it's more of a question of "Is it possible?"

possible yes...but probably not with there engine...

Nash_Brigham
24-03-04, 08:35
Bigger does not always equal better

Archeus
24-03-04, 09:20
Asherons call has zones, but they use a cool system that loads up a portion of the next zone as you move into it so it appears seamless.

Still NC is better then EQs zoning.

Capt. Rik
24-03-04, 15:31
Originally posted by seratoz

I'd guess the game is mad up of zones so that neocron can have the Anarchy/Hunting/Warzone rules.

Lol imagine drawing a load of DoY bots to the NC city entrance

Psyco Groupie
24-03-04, 15:38
Can you imagine trying to find someone over larger zones ? ... the zone size is perfect for neocron.

Strych9
24-03-04, 15:41
I have made tons of maps for the Q3 and Q2 engine, so assuming there is ANY degree of similarity-

You cant have huge zones in Neocron simply because of the load on the machine trying to display them.

The Q3 engine works with line of sight- basically it must be able to render anything that you MIGHT be able to see. So the bigger a zone is in Q3, the more texture memory you must take up and the more calculations to be made when rendering the landscape.

Now Neo has the fog distance and render plane. If the game simply doesnt have to render anything beyond that distance then theoretically in that aspect it could handle no zone lines.

But to accomodate that, whenver you loaded the game it would have to load up EVERY map and texture in the game, all at once. Plus it would have to coordinate the locations and actions of runners all over the map as if they were all in one zone right now.

Is there a first person 3D mmorpg that doesnt have any sort of zones?

Furion
24-03-04, 16:12
Originally posted by Psyco Groupie
Can you imagine trying to find someone over larger zones ? ...

Yes, make coordinates, it would be even easier then it is now

Neocrons_coward
24-03-04, 16:52
Originally posted by Cytaur
its impossible in neocron, because each zone is limited in how big it can be. So KK are lazy (i hope this isnt considered Staff Attack) to make bunch of these maps that will add nothing to the game....

this isnt a staff attack lol.. Staff attack is when you pick on 1 person or indivuals.. You however are expressing your opinion and i hereby do agree some of the way...

I love pressing senseless buttons wooo

cRazy2003
24-03-04, 17:11
i think its because with no zones it loads as u play, thats why on most no zone games theres a layer of fog a certain distance away, and as u move forward it loads more of the scenery and textures in front of u and the layer of fog moves back, because there is only a certain amount of textures etc the graphics card can put on screen at one time