PDA

View Full Version : How true is this...

Clive tombstone
23-03-04, 02:43
After looking at my posts, and doing some research... Ive come to a conclusion, that I found is best told by the Penny arcade (http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2004-03-19) . Please look and coment please, this is all very interesting, and makes great talk for lan parties :D

Psyco Groupie
23-03-04, 02:49
HAHAHAHA

*me looks at all the people whthreaten each other on trade

its true .. people hide behind their pc .. they could be either 13 years old, weak .. whatever .. doesnt stop they being superman on zee net tho.

:lol: :angel: o_O

manderf
23-03-04, 03:04
Originally posted by Psyco Groupie
HAHAHAHA

*me looks at all the people whthreaten each other on trade

its true .. people hide behind their pc .. they could be either 13 years old, weak .. whatever .. doesnt stop they being superman on zee net tho.

:lol: :angel: o_O

or they could be strong, muscular, 49 years old and looking for little boys to hook up with

annnd uhh

the link doesn't work for me....it loads penny arcade but never loads the comic

doesn't matter though i've never laughed at a single penny arcade strip in my life :angel:

zyx21
23-03-04, 09:38
Originally posted by Psyco Groupie

So true, and interesting at that.

Oath
23-03-04, 10:10
Originally posted by manderf
or they could be strong, muscular, 49 years old and looking for little boys to hook up with

annnd uhh

the link doesn't work for me....it loads penny arcade but never loads the comic

doesn't matter though i've never laughed at a single penny arcade strip in my life :angel:

Thanks for that image O_o :lol:

People who have no physical presence ie, those who are skinny little tards proffesing to be big tough men with big muscles and big dicks, are found out eventually, normally they're the skinny little farts in the street you dont really notice.

Same with the ladymen.

Clive tombstone
24-03-04, 04:19
Anouther thing Ive learned from hours in psycology (as well as deep thought and common sense :D ) has been that people, primarrily Teenagers-young adults use the internet as an "aggression Vent". And by taking it out on others, wether it be Random Pking, Taunting and just plain stupid outward coments.

This is showing that People who do this have some inner termoil or trauma tht has them angry at people. OR the fact that they have a superiority complex, that being altered in real life, must be compensated in the "virtual World" to "balance" there inner being.

These are just a few Theories, that must have been said a million times in my classes, but, like i said, just a speculation

keep em commin

manderf
24-03-04, 04:39
Originally posted by Clive tombstone
And by taking it out on others, wether it be Random Pking, Taunting and just plain stupid outward coments.

yeah, the exact reason that my 2 friends just cancelled their accounts on pluto

they just couldn't take the immature shit anymore from certain players *cough*

Clive tombstone
24-03-04, 06:52
There is one thing I forgot to mention is that by looking at people like this, your only looking at the serface. As my father would say...

"You cannot Live a happy life by being biased"

PLease try to understand these two things. FIRST this game (whether people like it or not) This game is based on the freedom to do anything you want (within the bounderies of the game engin that is :D ). And that means enjoying quite times at the con-center, listening to the nice piano music in the baground, or on the other-side of things, "Nib ganking" at all. So with Freedom comes PRO's, and CON's just like anything else.

AND number 2, you have to remember PEOPLE are given this freedom, and have the choice to BE what they want, and no-one can tell them different, only themselfs (or a GM who doesnt like there atittude :D ) so you'll meet a Wide assortment of people on Neocron. Some times the variety can be a little , ehhh, Sparce, but neocron changes little by little i guess, (as a community not patchs guys) if any of you guys need help come to URI server, ill help you get on your feet, and free GRP tours as well.

-FN-
24-03-04, 07:10
Yeah, Uriel posted that in our Spam forum (http://forums.synergyxr.net/viewtopic.php?t=496) last week.... sooooooo true heh :rolleyes:

sanityislost
24-03-04, 15:57
<------ 42 year old cat with a keyboard......Meow

>>--(-o-)-->
honest it's real :P

L0KI
24-03-04, 17:25
You cant just lump all PKrs, flamers into one category.

Take me for example:

I PK, i dont flame, but i PK.
I yell at people, and act the fool (sometimes).

The ONLY reason I do this, is because its completely in contrast to my nature in the real world.
I have lots of friends, and no enemies. If a friend annoys me, he/she will know about it.
Im 21, 6' 2", a Martial Arts expert, and certainly dont hide behind my compuer screen.

Im not exactly the stereotypical gamer. I dont know a great deal about computers, until Neocron, the only other game i played over the net was the UT with work m8s - VERY rarely.

In Neocron, I can be whomever i want to be, because i know, that in reality it means absolutely nothing.

Thats the ONLY reason I act the way i do.

MrChumble
24-03-04, 18:20
Originally posted by -FN-
Yeah, Uriel posted that in our Spam forum (http://forums.synergyxr.net/viewtopic.php?t=496) last week.... sooooooo true heh :rolleyes:

Bleh, I posted it on THIS forum a few days back :p

Oh well, not to worry, it still seems very fitting for a lot of people on pluto :)

Being a self confessed carebear (rainbow if anyone wants to know) I do often wonder how people can act the way they do in game. I've tried, several times, to roleplay a 'bad' character, but I can't do it. I just can't find any pleasure in killing a noob just to annoy them.
Neocron may allow a lot of freedom, but a grief player is still a real person enjoying what they do, virtual world or not. Perhaps these players wouldn't steal a blind man's dog in Real Life...but I wonder if they would if they could. That could just be the carebear in me though :D

Edit:

Originally posted by Loki
In Neocron, I can be whomever i want to be, because i know, that in reality it means absolutely nothing.

I hear that sort of reasoning a lot, but -- as said above -- at the end of the day it's still a real person you're annoying. I used to get absolutely livid when Jinxed PKd me when I was a noob. He did it without reason or warning, unlike say Elkdor who'd set the scene a bit first (even if it was "get ready to die again bitch"). The point being that the emotions of annoyance are just as real if they're caused by someones actions via a computer avatar or if they're caused face to face. In some ways the computer avatar is more annoying because there's no comeback, no system of law or justice (or even common decency on pluto half the time).

Unf.

Siygess
24-03-04, 18:37
God damn, stop bumping this thread. Every time you do, I feel obliged to read it, look at the strip in Penny Arcade and burst out laughing. I don’t think this keyboard can take any more tea being spilled onto it :D

Seriously though, it's very true - every action, even in a virtual world, can have real life consequences. Many people might argue that, for a game, many "victims" take it too seriously, but I think that as long as these people exist, it doesn't hurt to show them some courtesy.

Dribble Joy
24-03-04, 19:01
Originally posted by L0KI
You cant just lump all PKrs, flamers into one category.

Take me for example:

I PK, i dont flame, but i PK.
I yell at people, and act the fool (sometimes).

The ONLY reason I do this, is because its completely in contrast to my nature in the real world.
I have lots of friends, and no enemies. If a friend annoys me, he/she will know about it.
Im 21, 6' 2", a Martial Arts expert, and certainly dont hide behind my compuer screen.

Im not exactly the stereotypical gamer. I dont know a great deal about computers, until Neocron, the only other game i played over the net was the UT with work m8s - VERY rarely.

Odd.

For me, I see no reason in 'being someone else' in NC, the person you meet here on the forums and ingame is me, I don't act any different to how I do in RL.

I don't really feel I need to do otherwise. Not saying that as per clives posts you therefore are fucked in the head and are trying to prove something/release things in a way you can't do in RL, but it just intrigues me :p.

hivemind
24-03-04, 19:22
It's that whole Role-playing thing again, DJ. Being yourself is not Role-playing. You're a great guy, and hence your characters are great guys. But they're all you.

OTOH, Role-playing is not a blanket excuse to act like a poopdick either...

Dribble Joy
24-03-04, 19:26
I do roleplay... but as me in a role. As if I was a merc in the distant future, not taking on the personality of someone else.

metalangel
24-03-04, 19:31
DJ is right, you should be yourself online. Which means there's a lot of obnoxious dicks in the world, if online games are anything to go by.

Oh, wait, you're RPing? Why is everyone RPing as an obnoxious dick?

:rolleyes:

Dribble Joy
24-03-04, 19:34
I never said you should be your self. Be who-ever you want, that's the whole point.

metalangel
24-03-04, 19:35
Yeah but that still begs the question then: WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE AN ASSHOLE?

johngreen2000
24-03-04, 19:44
Well me personally...
In real life I am an honest respectful person, i dont start fights, etc.

In online games, i like being an ass..not the ass that ruins the game for a newbie but i start fights, i pk, and things of that nature.

If someone kills me and sexs my corpse or talks shit then by god the next time i see them ill use any means necessary to take them down and sex them back.

In every single mmorpg ive played ive always played the bad guy. In UO i was a thief, i played a thief 95% of my time i was their(which was around 3 years total). In DAoC I played several of the rouge classes, in SB I played the thief/assassin classes. In games such as Marrowind I play the thief classes. My point being in real life I wouldnt steal, I have never been arrested, I dont smoke, i dont drink, dont do drugs but in a game environment I do these things. Its an escape where I can do the things in life that i dont do.

And no its not that i get picked on and need some way to act tuff. I just like playing the bad guy. I mean it is a role playing game and im playing an alternate role than my role in reality.

SorkZmok
24-03-04, 19:48
Originally posted by metalangel
Yeah but that still begs the question then: WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE AN ASSHOLE? I'm never gonna understand it. When i read things like "Haha, i met that noob at the mb who wanted to tag the gr but i blew up his car and then pked him right before he reached the gr. I R TEH WINNAR! LOLZ TAHT WAS FUN!" makes me wanna meet those ppl and beat the shit out of them.

And i'm actually a nice guy ingame and in RL. Even more ingame cause i dont kill ppl in RL. :p :p

/edit

DJ is right, you should be yourself online. Says a guy whose chars are girls mostly. :D :D

Myrlin
24-03-04, 19:58
Yeah but that still begs the question then: WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE AN ASSHOLE?

Because if they acted like that in real life they would get punched in the nose. RP (if you can call it that) allows them to act anyway they want without consequences.

I don't really mind the people who RP that they are cocky members of black dragon and therefore they sex corpses when they kill them. Thats fine with me. What pisses me off are the people who say I only do this because I love knowing that some where the person I just killed, griefed, etc is throwing their keyboard across the room because I've completely ruined their gaming experience. Those are the people that drive people away from the game IMHO.

metalangel
24-03-04, 20:12
johngreen: LOL yeah well, I'm a lesbian trapped in a man's body. And if I have to look at my char's butt all day running around NC, I want it to be a girl's butt. Besides, my personality doesn't change just because my chars are female (which shows I'm weird)

Sork and Myrlin: You're right, RPing a toughguy or a badass whatever is one thing, but the people who set out with the intention of being an utter cuntnugget to everyone they meet, drawing amusement from their torment, THAT is what I mean by 'why do you want to be an asshole'.

L0KI
24-03-04, 20:19
Originally posted by MrChumble

I hear that sort of reasoning a lot, but -- as said above -- at the end of the day it's still a real person you're annoying. I used to get absolutely livid when Jinxed PKd me when I was a noob. He did it without reason or warning, unlike say Elkdor who'd set the scene a bit first (even if it was "get ready to die again bitch"). The point being that the emotions of annoyance are just as real if they're caused by someones actions via a computer avatar or if they're caused face to face. In some ways the computer avatar is more annoying because there's no comeback, no system of law or justice (or even common decency on pluto half the time).

i think you misunderstand me.

I do NOT PK noobs (well, unless i know their alt), nor do i believe it is right to ruin someone's gaming experience.

I'm saying, the beauty of an online game such as Neocron, and what attracts a LOT of people to play them, is that you can be whomever you want to be.

Using that as a reason to be a jerk is wrong.

If you ask most people that play on the server i do, im a very popular person on the server, and everyone has heard of me. I similar to that aspect in real life, but still, im not me.

I met a few FLUX guys in RL, and i think they were suprised at how different i was. I dont think a person can be judged on how they play a computer game.

metalangel
24-03-04, 20:33
Well no, I sat next to this one guy (name removed to protect the innocent) at SUKING who had a high level char in DAoC and he was a great guy to talk to... and he just casually mentioned he was looking for people to gank.

There's a few ways to get known in a game like this, one is to be a dick and gank and cause trouble, another is to be selfless and helpful, and there seems to be another I don't understand, but random people from enemy clans factions say hello and start chatting to me in Plaza o_O

Clive tombstone
25-03-04, 01:04
I REALLY wish I was a bit more specific with
I don't really feel I need to do otherwise. Not saying that as per clives posts you therefore are fucked in the head and are trying to prove something/release things in a way you can't do in RL, but it just intrigues me . :D The point being that people have there right to do things the way they want, Heck I know, Game SHOULD be used to Get stuff out, Im all for it, but for me it may be in some overkill for monsters ("switches to scene with Clive sniping Vultures with his comando") for others it could be Pking. I REALLY wish it didnt come out as "F***ed in the head" to you guys. Heck My best friend in RL who plays MMO's plays the "asshole card" all the time but hes bout the coolest person i met, though he's not a griefer, he just pk's but he knows where to draw the line.

Anouther bit I shoulda added was self control, but thats anouther story. Keep this up guys, your getting me an A in Phsycology class over here :D

Oh btw heres some named responses
Metalangel: yah I aggre with how some can RP, its cool you should be what you want to be, and its your right to do so (heck your paying 9.95 a month, why the hell not :D )

Johngreen: Its cool that you like to play the way you do, cuz without people playing badguys, it would be pretty boring. BTW which martial arts do you study? Ive been taking Xiaolin Kempo for a while now, Im just curious to what other people have been learning, just for research you know :D

: MrChumble : its good that there are carebears, god knows if we need more or less, we'll leave that up to her. to contrast to what I said to John, we need "good guys" too, without them, there would be utter chaos, but when you think about it. something would have to give, maybe some "good" rising outa the evil... BACK TO SUBJECT!

-DJ- Im glad that I intrigued you :). And im trying to make a unbiased opinion as possible, as my father would say "A Wise man walks slowly through glass fields"-Meaning a smart guy trys not to hurt himself by rushing things through, wether it be a conversation or well, a post.

And Finally - Siygess- good point, and sorry for spilling your Tea:D