PDA

View Full Version : FPS cap?

Spoon
23-03-04, 01:12
Anyone know how to disable the fps cap in Neocron?

I'm stuck at 62 fps, no higher, no lower........

I have an ATI Gfx card, btw....

:confused:

•Super|\|ova•
23-03-04, 01:15
I get 100fps when i stand my face against a wall.

Tratos
23-03-04, 01:15
isnt this somthing to do with Vsync on monitors i think it is cant remember how to turn it off tho but thats what i think you need to do.

~Tratos "Yes i am hopless" :)

Lathuc
23-03-04, 01:16
are you running windows xp if so that is what is capping your fps at 62 because it caps your fps at your refresh rate and since you dont need any more than that mutch fps anyway and people would really kill for that much fps in this game (excluding looking at a wall). oh and i have no idea how to dissable it but it might be in your video card setup thingie in windows

Spoon
23-03-04, 01:22
Originally posted by Lathuc
are you running windows xp if so that is what is capping your fps at 62 because it caps your fps at your refresh rate and since you dont need any more than that mutch fps anyway and people would really kill for that much fps in this game (excluding looking at a wall). oh and i have no idea how to dissable it but it might be in your video card setup thingie in windows

Yeah, I'm using XP now...

I set the refresh rate to 200 hertz but that didn't help...

I'm still looking through the Gfx setting for V sync On/Off etc...

EDIT

Also, which gives better performance?

Rendering in Hardware or Software mode?

sw1tch
23-03-04, 01:26
search for refresh rate fix on google, might help.

You can also override it by using a program like rivertuner.

I doubt you will notice the difference tho, eyes can only see 30fps, but i think thats for TV's or under certain circumstances.

Lathuc
23-03-04, 01:26
oh and you do know that you can kill your monitor by setting it to too high refresh rates ( keep it at recomended refresh rates )

manderf
23-03-04, 01:27
my FPS caps at 62 also

IMO, any FPS higher than that doesn't matter, hence why vsync caps it in the first place

having more FPS than that [edited for violation of the forum rules -- vulgarity]

your FPS might be 200 but it makes no difference compared to my 70 honestly

ok so that analogy wasn't too good but oh well

Spoon
23-03-04, 01:44
I got it...

It was turning off V-Sync that did it....

Thx guys....

I won't mention what my fps is staring at a wall.....lol

retr0n
23-03-04, 02:11
I only have one question, why would you make your GFX card draw
something 100 times per second when your screen only updates
62 times per second anyway? Your GFX card will just be doing a
bunch of unnecessary (spelling?) work.

Invertigo
23-03-04, 02:35
ive seen my fps go up to 230 before in plaza 3 looking at the ground...

if there is a cap its probably like 300 or somthing...

oh and its probably your very sync which was said like 30 times... :rolleyes:

manderf
23-03-04, 03:03
yeah considering a lot of monitors refresh rate will only *SAFELY* go up to 75 or 80, turning off vsync completely could be a bad thing unless you have really checked that you can do it....

it's just more work for your comp to do when it won't be showed at all to you when your monitor's refresh rate ain't that high anyways

all it does is make you feel "cool" because that number in the bottom of your screen is higher, even though you can't actually see a difference nor does it MAKE a difference.

Shadow Dancer
23-03-04, 03:15
You can't get lower FPS than 62 and you're complaining? :eek:

:p

I'd kill for that kind of fps all the time.

Punisher-X
23-03-04, 03:25
Highest FPS i have ever had is precisely 500.
Never had above that no matter how much i OC my system.

DonnyJepp
23-03-04, 03:53
Use atuner

http://www.3dcenter.de/atuner/index_e.php

to unlock the vsync on your video rig.

your vsync sounds to be limiting the frame rate to your vertical sync rate, an XP gotcha.

/edit

Originally posted by •Super|\|ova•
I get 100fps when i stand my face against a wall.

That sounds painful :D :D

Spoon
23-03-04, 05:40
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
You can't get lower FPS than 62 and you're complaining? :eek:

Not complaining, niblet, just wondering why it wasn't changing.....;)

And I did finally get it to go lower......:p

Rob01m
23-03-04, 05:57
Originally posted by Spoon
I got it...

It was turning off V-Sync that did it....

Thx guys....

I won't mention what my fps is staring at a wall.....lol

There is NO advantage to deactivating VSync!

By having your graphics card update the screen (FPS) more than your vertical refresh rate, you only create TEARING and other graphical artifacts because of the asynchronous rates!

Being capped at 60,62,75 etc FPS (the same as your refresh rate) is IDEAL for quality! You will NOT notice any speed advantage going higher than your refresh rate and you WILL notice a LOSS in quality. (Vertical blocks appearing as you turn for example.)

You were better off with VSync on. Period.

msdong
23-03-04, 09:14
Originally posted by Rob01m
There is NO advantage to deactivating VSync!

there is.
i expirience choppy motion in NC and PS and a few other games when i have VSYNC on even i have GREAT FPS. when i turn VSYNC off everything moves fine.

n3m
23-03-04, 10:58
yeah, it seems more choppy when VSync is turned on.

btw 333fps is the real cap

Dajuda
23-03-04, 11:10
500fps? Odd ... the cap is 333...
Edit: N3m beat meh :mad:

P4mp3rk3
23-03-04, 11:16
he didn't say he got 500 in nc. He said the highest EVER...

n3m
23-03-04, 11:19
crap

MjukisDjur
23-03-04, 11:41
I get 350 when stareing on appartment floor

Candaman
23-03-04, 12:41
Originally posted by retr0n
I only have one question, why would you make your GFX card draw
something 100 times per second when your screen only updates
62 times per second anyway? Your GFX card will just be doing a
bunch of unnecessary (spelling?) work. ]

Ur screen only updates @ 62 times a second on a 60hz monitor up it too 100hz and hey presto better

Mighty Max
23-03-04, 13:03
The motion is the keyword why vsynch off still gets you noticeable results.

Lets say your monitor caps refresh at 60Hz. Then every frame represents 1/60 second. A car at 120km/h is making 0.55m in this time. so the card will draw the car somewhere within those 0.55m. Now it may come that it may draw it once at the very start of the 0.55m and once at the end. So in the one framejump youd get a 1.10m jump and in the next maybe a 0.01m jump. (The extremest values taken)

Frame 1: |-------car-------|
Frame 2: |--------car-------|
Frame 3: |--------car-------|

So now we take your card ignoring the vsynch. Even tho your monitor does simply drop the frames above its cap, everyone of the frames will now represent 1/fps seconds. At 333Hz i.e. it would only represents 1/333 second. So the same car as above can only move 0.10m. So your max distance variation between two frames might be 0.2m instead of the 1.10m. Allthough between the frames its movements has an overage of still 0.55m/sec. (The distance the car actually travels in the 1/60 second)

Frame 1: |-car-|
Frame 2: |-car-|
Frame 3: |-car-|

So more FPS at constant monitor refresh = Less variance in movements.

Xylaz
23-03-04, 15:56
i hate u all

i cannot manage to get 62 fps even when in app and staring at the wall.... (40-50 fps)

blah...

MjukisDjur
23-03-04, 17:32
then you will be happy to know that my 350 fps goes down to about 15-20 in plasa 1 peak hours :)

yavimaya
24-03-04, 01:53
Originally posted by sw1tch
search for refresh rate fix on google, might help.

You can also override it by using a program like rivertuner.

I doubt you will notice the difference tho, eyes can only see 30fps, but i think thats for TV's or under certain circumstances.

nah human sight is 30FPS for everything... cos apparently eagles or something see at 70 FPS, and they dont watch TV :P

Sleawer
24-03-04, 02:00
Actually I think we percibe continuity from 20+ fps... but still we feel the bad rendering :p

Clownst0pper
24-03-04, 02:04
When my FPS is 60+ sometimes in PP etc, I cant PVP for shit, its all to quick, im used to, and like my FPS to be around 20-30.

Just seems to help me aim 100x better :cool:

Mighty Max
24-03-04, 10:57
nah human sight is 30FPS for everything

Thats not right.

The human brain is combining single pictures to real movements up from about 25FPS. Till about 49 FPS everyone is still recognizing flickering in pictures.

Thats why PAL makes 2*25 half-frames = 50 Hz and NTSC does 2*30 = 60Hz

But thats not meaning that you wont get smoother results on better framerates. Hell why should they have intodruce 100Hz TVs.

Look on those 50Hz rather as an Softcap where more doesnt get that much of a result, but you still get one.

Rob01m
24-03-04, 15:18
Originally posted by Mighty Max
The motion is the keyword why vsynch off still gets you noticeable results.

Lets say your monitor caps refresh at 60Hz. Then every frame represents 1/60 second. A car at 120km/h is making 0.55m in this time. so the card will draw the car somewhere within those 0.55m. Now it may come that it may draw it once at the very start of the 0.55m and once at the end. So in the one framejump youd get a 1.10m jump and in the next maybe a 0.01m jump. (The extremest values taken)

Frame 1: |-------car-------|
Frame 2: |--------car-------|
Frame 3: |--------car-------|

So now we take your card ignoring the vsynch. Even tho your monitor does simply drop the frames above its cap, everyone of the frames will now represent 1/fps seconds. At 333Hz i.e. it would only represents 1/333 second. So the same car as above can only move 0.10m. So your max distance variation between two frames might be 0.2m instead of the 1.10m. Allthough between the frames its movements has an overage of still 0.55m/sec. (The distance the car actually travels in the 1/60 second)

Frame 1: |-car-|
Frame 2: |-car-|
Frame 3: |-car-|

So more FPS at constant monitor refresh = Less variance in movements.

That still says nothing about the video artifacts you will get from having VSync off, if you can handle it then fine, go for it. Personally it looks way too ugly for me.

EDIT: The solution is NOT to disable VSync but rather increase your vertical frequency while keeping it on. The cap will move and values more accurate, and you won't get the artifacts. (If you can't increase your frequency then update to a better monitor or turn off VSync and get crappy quality.)

Psyco Groupie
24-03-04, 15:25
The human eye can detect upto 90 times per second ... this doesnt mean you can define it .. but working day in day out with 72 hz still isnt really enough ... i run my desktop on a big ress and 85 hz .. any lower and you can detect flickering .. at 85 you can rarely notice anythign at all

Mighty Max
24-03-04, 15:27
That still says nothing about the video artifacts you will get from having VSync off

Thats a simply driver issue.

Even if you render more frames then you draw out you can still flush the content at the FPS. Thats why backbuffers were created.

The trick is to drop the unneeded frames while they are in the backbuffer not changing the frontbuffer in the moment it gets drawn.

kurai
25-03-04, 04:15
Tearing and artifacts aren't a 100% guaranteed problem when disabling V-SYNC, just a possibility.

Anyway - that aside .... there's another issue that might rear it's head.

It has been said already that WinXP will limit frame rate to 60 for D3D stuff, unless you can override it in your driver settings...
fine - I used the tool in the nVidia control applet to set refresh to 100Hz at my given resolution...

But - I was still getting a cap of 60fps despite everything I tried.
Now I knew this *should* work, since I'd done the same in previous driver revision and it all worked as expected ...

Didn't figure it out till one day I noticed that my fps cap had gone from 60 to 50 ... and I realised that earlier I had changed a setting on the S-Video TV-Out to display PAL-N (50Hz) rather than NTSC (60Hz).

Seems that some drivers set a refresh rate cap on *all* the output interfaces equal to the lowest common denominator - generally the TV-Out.

Disabled the S-Video, and hey presto ... 100 fps.

Now I just leave the nVidia settings applet loaded in system tray and change from multi screen mode (CRT, LCD & TV) to single display mode (CRT only) as needed. Only takes a couple of clicks.

Not sure if that's a problem for nVdia users only, but many ATI cards us the same Brooktree/Conexant TV chipsets, so who knows ...

StarRaptor
25-03-04, 10:48
Sorry guys, but 500 is the cap in NC asfar as Ive found. Comp stats are listed in chat, non OCed. This was taken inside my apartment.

http://members.cox.net/daj-/shot0018.JPG

Dajuda
25-03-04, 10:51
Leet Photoshop skillz ... lol j/k <3 you Bin :D