PDA

View Full Version : Rule petition: Biased polls

Psycho Killa
21-03-04, 07:31
I think that any poll that is biased in the options such as..

Yes obviously this needs to be done.
No im a retard who doesnt know a thing about anything.

Should be immediately closed the person would have a second chance of remaking the poll in an unbiased fashion.

Yes I agree with you
No I disagree with you (see below why)

And if they fuck it up a second time to bad they cant open that poll again.

Just my opinion what do you think? Its not a major priority or anything but im just amazed on how its allowed when in atleast my opinion its worse then spam.

KimmyG
21-03-04, 07:33
Yea a poll should be

YES or NO

enough of this
YES I am smart
or NO Im a fucking retard
or the third no vote sex with droms.

Hippieman
21-03-04, 07:34
Sounds good. But we still gotta have the old ISWDA/D option.

Marx
21-03-04, 07:34
Can't agree more.

Shujin
21-03-04, 07:45
i think there should be a poll option which requires for people who vote to explain their reasoning.

like Press yes or no and it takes you to another prompt asking you to explain your vote. and if they simply put Yes, or No; a mod should delete their post and remove one vote. they MUST explain their vote.

ServeX
21-03-04, 07:48
No.

jernau
21-03-04, 07:53
YES, 100% YES.

People should have as many option as they want/need but there's absolutely no point asking a biased/leading question.

Shadow Dancer
21-03-04, 08:12
I completely agree. It's f*ing annoying. Also the additional drom options get tiring after a while.

"yes, no, I LIEK DROMS IN TEH BUTZERZ LOLOLOLO" :rolleyes:

But i'll settle for a poll being closed if it has silly biased options.

Jest
21-03-04, 09:18
You should've made this post a poll with biased options. :p

Endar
21-03-04, 10:27
Hey am i the only one who always votes "I like to sex droms"?? Damn...

Yea i agree, you shouldnt be forced to call your self ****** or something when you select No.

naimex
21-03-04, 10:38
You forgot a "Poll" and the dr0m option..

No, seriously.

You trying to make a prison or a customer feedback and discussion forum.

I am very sorry if the humor of some of us are bothering you in any way.

But no one actually says that you HAVE to vote.

You donīt even have to read it.

It might be the best idea ever made, but you wonīt like it, because the vote options are not fitting into your personality.

Seriously, please explain to me why do you hold so much of a grudge against custom made polls ?

Iīm curious though.

Would you also say, that a player speaking his mind, but writing it wrong, so as it might be seen as a flame by a mod, and gets edited, but it really only was meant as a more or less visual addition to the words, by filling up the lines with illustrative words, these people should be disallowed to post, because they have a few more colors than black and white ?

or

That a person extremely unknown on these forums, who hits the wrong button, as to start a new thread instead of a reply, two or three times, should be disallowed to post again, because they still havenīt learned.

but

Then we can go ahead and talk about everything else on these forums.

As from what I can make off the thought of the thread starter. then you would make the forum a clean productive place.

sure we can do that.. easy..

But sit down, relax a few minutes and then consider this :

Would you really go here if :

You could only have the premade Avatars and will therefore not be allowed to display a more personal projection into the eyes of the reader of your post.

You were not allowed to have a signature, and could therefore not promote your clan, yourself, or spend vast time making one that looked just right for you.

All spam should be closed within the second, and the person who wrote it should have perma ban, for a person spamming.. oh my no, we canīt have that here now, can we !

Anything Off Topic, meaning, Computer Problems, The latest bikini for shaved monkeys, the newest hardware, the my machine owns your machine threads. Now on a very serious forum, this wouldnīt fit in, and must therefore be closed within the second, and poster perma banned.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Those are a few of the side effects of making this wonderfull forum into a serious one.

Personally I would hate to see that happen, but then again, I am chaotic of mind.

Celt
21-03-04, 10:46
I think you missed the whole part about the polls being biased naimex.

Its not about having some humour, its about making people who disagree with the poll starter's opinion feel bad about themselves if they disagree.

"Do you think B:DOY is going to be worth the money?
Yes, KK rocks and we love you!

No, I'm a ****** ************ who likes felching."

Loads of fun for the whole family, eh?

naimex
21-03-04, 10:55
yes.

no matter WHAT is behind the actual option then the option still means

YES

NO

MAYBE

I DONT CARE

then it could be :

Should flipper be fried and eaten ?

-Yes, flipper was an ugly mofo dolphin
-No, Iīm a barbie doll that has no brain, and dolphins are nice
-Iīm a stupid jerk who canīt make up his mind and will never amount to anything.
-My foot smells like dead skunk

The first clearly means yes. but it has the thread starters view on it in it. but nevertheless, it is a yes.

Second clearly means no. but as the thread starter wanted to fry and eat flipper, then this cannot be viewed in a positive light from that person, but even though it says all sorts of weird shit. it still means no. and thats what youīre looking for. the NO option.

Third is the maybe.. some people just want a straight answer. should we or shouldnt we. but the maybe is so much sweeter, it gives more room to express exactly what you have in mind.

And the last.. the I dont care option. mostly replaced by some sort of dr0mish. If there is a speech about dead rats in the sewers, and it is voluntary.. would you stay and listen ? you might.. but you will probably go away and find something better to do, therefore the dr0m option, really only gives a person the opportunity to say.

Iīve been here.. Iīve read it.. and I really donīt care about it.

Celt
21-03-04, 10:56
And?

It's still biased, and not funny.

naimex
21-03-04, 11:00
but it could have been, with other options. maybe a more humorous topic.

but then I want to say again, if you donīt like the options...

then no one is forcing you to vote.

you donīt even have to read the thing.

but you could also just set it aside, vote for the general meaning of the options.

or if you really really really donīt like the options, just a write a post, with your answer, and a why do I think this note after it.

g0rt
21-03-04, 11:00
agree

Celt
21-03-04, 11:01
So, no-one is forcing you to not read the biased polls that will be closed :rolleyes:

naimex
21-03-04, 11:04
Yes.

if this becomes a straight neocron only anything else gets a big fat hammer straight in the head, including a ban if it gets the slightest bit off topic.

then

no one will be forcing you to read the biased polls that arent there because we made it all stop by banning 99 % of the forum community for making biased polls that really arent allowed so they were closed before that many people got to read the post that no one was forcing them to read.

Celt
21-03-04, 11:05
[edited violation of fourm rules][freya]

naimex
21-03-04, 11:10
Iīm surprised its not been made yet.

Mattimeo
21-03-04, 11:32
Uhm, I fail to see where the options push the bias on you. Now if the poll only had all yes options, or all no options, THEN it would be biased. the wording is irrelevant. if you can clearly see Yes, No, Maybe, Abstain, all the bases are covered, you can get your vote in in the right place.

If the wording of an option on a poll on a tiny niche game's forum hurts you that badly then maybe you shouldn't be voting on polls:rolleyes:

Celt
21-03-04, 11:41
Mattimeo:
bi·as ( P ) Pronunciation Key (bs)
n.
A preference or an inclination, especially one that inhibits impartial judgment.

[edited violation of fourm rules ][freya]

Originally posted by Mattimeo

If the wording of an option on a poll on a tiny niche game's forum hurts you that badly then maybe you shouldn't be voting on polls:rolleyes:
[edited violation of fourm rules ][freya]

naimex
21-03-04, 12:23
Originally posted by Celt
[edited for consistancy]

so if him writing his opinion on forum makes his post stupid.. then infact your post ábout telling him that his post is stupid is irrelevant, and therefore this post where I say that your post about his post being stupid is stupid, and must then be irrelevant, where to as, you write your opinion about his opiniative post, must be stupid...

sawi ?

Mattimeo
21-03-04, 12:26
Mattimeo:
bi·as ( P ) Pronunciation Key (bs)
n.
A preference or an inclination, especially one that inhibits impartial judgment.

[edited for consistancy]

Considering how many debates I've watched and participated in, I would like to think I know what the word means. In fact, I even mention the bias in my post. what YOU seem to fail to realize is that while the options themselves may have a biased wording, as long as there are oposing options, the poll itself is not.

But then again, maybe I just have a stronger, less easily swayed mind when it come to poll options that consist of someone showing personal bias but still showing the ability to deal with (even if in a small way) differing opinions.

But also, if this were any real debate, like most people on this forum you would have already lost. Personal insults are worthless, but let me sink to your level for just one moment here;

Hey idiot, if it has a yes/no/maybe/abstain that you in your tiny capacity can understand, then the poll has enough options to negate any bias one way or another. If you happen to be a brainless thin-skinned sheep that is hurt/offended/aroused by the wording for the option of a poll on a forum, and cannot get past it to make your personal feelings heard, you don't belong looking at polls anyway. You lack the mental faculties to vote in a meaningful way. Grow up, rise above it.

Psycho Killa
21-03-04, 12:30
I dont think where stupid enough to pick the wrong option because it says where stupid if we do. Its just the point that they are stupid, pointless, and childish.

Theres just no need for it why even bother with the poll?

naimex
21-03-04, 12:32
so you would rather everything was black and white :

Yes
No
Maybe
Abstain

Yes
No
Maybe
Abstain

Yes
No
Maybe
Abstain

Yes
No
Maybe
Abstain

Yes
No
Maybe
Abstain

Yes
No
Maybe
Abstain

Yes
No
Maybe
Abstain

Yes
No
Maybe
Abstain

Yes
No
Maybe
Abstain

Yes
No
Maybe
Abstain

Yes
No
Maybe
Abstain

Yes
No
Maybe
Abstain

Yes
No
Maybe
Abstain

Gets boring after a while doesnt it ?

Psycho Killa
21-03-04, 12:34
Yes
No im an ass hat

Yes im a retard who doesnt know my ass from my elbow
No im a genius I agree with the original poster.

Gets retarded and childish after a while doesnt it?

I didnt say no comedic poll options. Just no immature ur a moron if you disagree with me polls.

Mattimeo
21-03-04, 12:35
Originally posted by Psycho Killa
I dont think where stupid enough to pick the wrong option because it says where stupid if we do. Its just the point that they are stupid, pointless, and childish.

Theres just no need for it why even bother with the poll?

If the poll get's it's point across, who cares?

Just because someone may show personal bias, the debate of ideas shouldn't stop just because they feel the need to put their own personal tilt on the options. I'm heavily against cesorship, especially when it serves no point. As long as the options are there, and clearly distinguishable that's all it is.

naimex
21-03-04, 12:39
Childish.. a little..
Retarded... not really..
Immature.. thats a matter of opinion from person to person.

Colourfull ? yes
Variated ? yes

I donīt know about you, but I would rather vote on poll that says a bit more than the regular.. and some of those personal opiniative poll options, are kinda funny.

Psycho Killa
21-03-04, 12:41
I dont see how this is censorship. Im 100 percent against censorship myself though I didnt say delete the poll with it. Im not denying to put there biased within there post but does it really belong in the options? Some of them are just really rediculous.

Celt
21-03-04, 12:43
Considering how many debates I've watched and participated in, I would like to think I know what the word means. In fact, I even mention the bias in my post. what YOU seem to fail to realize is that while the options themselves may have a biased wording, as long as there are oposing options, the poll itself is not.
God.
Bias isnt only presenting one option.
Bias is making one option seem more attractive then the other, regardless of what you preference is.
Get it yet?

But then again, maybe I just have a stronger, less easily swayed mind when it come to poll options that consist of someone showing personal bias but still showing the ability to deal with (even if in a small way) differing opinions.
Yes, my mind is easily swayed, which is why im replying to you arguing, rather then saying YOU ARE RIGHT!!!?!?

But also, if this were any real debate, like most people on this forum you would have already lost. Personal insults are worthless, but let me sink to your level for just one moment here;
Guess you dont know what a personal insult is either.

Hey idiot, if it has a yes/no/maybe/abstain that you in your tiny capacity can understand, then the poll has enough options to negate any bias one way or another. If you happen to be a brainless thin-skinned sheep that is hurt/offended/aroused by the wording for the option of a poll on a forum, and cannot get past it to make your personal feelings heard, you don't belong looking at polls anyway. You lack the mental faculties to vote in a meaningful way. Grow up, rise above it.
That's a personal insult.

[edited]

Mattimeo
21-03-04, 12:47
Originally posted by Psycho Killa
I dont see how this is censorship. Im 100 percent against censorship myself though I didnt say delete the poll with it. Im not denying to put there biased within there post but does it really belong in the options? Some of them are just really rediculous.

Forcing them to use one option and only one option for the wording of their polls IS censorship, any hinderance to the free expression of ideas is.

God.
Bias isnt only presenting one option.
Bias is making one option seem more attractive then the other, regardless of what you preference is.
Get it yet?

But with differing options they are not forcing the bias on you, and even give you the option of debate, thats the difference.

And to the quote below, it's called an open option, noone told you not to, just to maybe rethink your position on doing so :rolleyes:

Celt
21-03-04, 12:48
Originally posted by naimex
so if him writing his opinion on forum makes his post stupid.. then infact your post ábout telling him that his post is stupid is irrelevant, and therefore this post where I say that your post about his post being stupid is stupid, and must then be irrelevant, where to as, you write your opinion about his opiniative post, must be stupid...

sawi ?
No, his opinion was fine.
Stating that anyone who disagreed with him, shouldnt be allowed to vote on polls = stupid.

If the wording of an option on a poll on a tiny niche game's forum hurts you that badly then maybe you shouldn't be voting on polls

Celt
21-03-04, 12:50

But with differing options they are not forcing the bias on you, and even give you the option of debate, thats the difference.
Who says bias is forced?
Who says bias cant be questioned?

No-one here has.

(hint: you said you understood bias, look up all its definitions, rather than just one)

Argh, cant delete second post

naimex
21-03-04, 12:51
edited for consistancy[B]

Yup thats not a personal attack..

[B]edited for consistancy

Oopsie personal attack..

He gave an example insult, as to counter your extremely negative tone of voice on this forum... I am yet to find a positive post by you... havent seen a single one yet...

and you are actually insulting everyone you reply to in every post, with this negativivity..

edited for consistancy

You are saying he is stupid, yet you canīt even reply to a post about opinions without going beside the topic and hit the writer rather than the post.

sad...

just... sad.

Celt
21-03-04, 12:54
Originally posted by naimex
Oopsie personal attack..
No, its not a personal attack.

Guess what, people with different views can be deliberately obtuse, and dislike giving in to who they are arguing with.

That's a fact of life, not an insult.

He gave an example insult, as to counter your extremely negative tone of voice on this forum... I am yet to find a positive post by you... havent seen a single one yet...
Negative tone of voice /=/ personal insult.

He broke the rules, I didn't.

Also, look harder.

and you are actually insulting everyone you reply to in every post, with this negativivity..
So positivity is insulting everyone too?
Or since that's the opposite, does that mean everyone who reads something positive feels flattered?

sigh

You are saying he is stupid, yet you canīt even reply to a post about opinions without going beside the topic and hit the writer rather than the post.

sad...

just... sad.
He's not stupid, he just disagrees and refuses to see something that counters his viewpoint.

Mattimeo
21-03-04, 12:59
Who says bias is forced?
Who says bias cant be questioned?

No-one here has.

(hint: you said you understood bias, look up all its definitions, rather than just one)

Argh, cant delete second post

He's not stupid, he just disagrees and refuses to see something that counters his viewpoint.

[edited for consistancy][QUOTE]

My position on the issue is as follows (and has been since my frist post)

If the poll has differing options, no matter the tone it is inherantly un-biased. I draw this conclusion from the facts that the original poster and poser of said question 1) put it in the form of something that can be polled 2) Despite any wording clearly labeled it yes/no/maybe/abstain 3)following 2, displays the capacity to go either way, despite the wording.

Thus, following these examples, the poll itself, despite biased wording, is not biased.

The person may be, may not be, but the poll isn't.

[QUOTE]He's not stupid, he just disagrees and refuses to see something that counters his viewpoint.

[edited for consistancy]

Actually, I'm showing the ability to do so by responding. Just because I don't agree with your viewpoint doesn't mean I don't see it or acknowledge it, it just means I don;t agree with it, and show why my personal view is more valid.

Basically, what you're tryign to do here is remove the ability to debate anything at all by saying that in doing so you're failing to debate.

And yes, it is a personal attack. But it's a valid one in a debate (because being hypocritical is counteractive to the debate process and can strengthen your own arguement, I could go into a long explaination of it's valid uses) even if it's wrong as explained above with your circular logic.

Celt
21-03-04, 13:00
My position on the issue is as follows (and has been since my frist post)

If the poll has differing options, no matter the tone it is inherantly un-biased. I draw this conclusion from the facts that the original poster and poser of said question 1) put it in the form of something that can be polled 2) Despite any wording clearly labeled it yes/no/maybe/abstain 3)following 2, displays the capacity to go either way, despite the wording.

Thus, following these examples, the poll itself, despite biased wording, is not biased.

The person may be, may not be, but the poll isn't.
And my position is that: wording the poll to try make people feel better towards voting for one option, or uncomfortable for voting for another is bias :)

We may both be right, or both be wrong.

msdong
21-03-04, 13:45
im sick of biased polls a ling time. sometimes they have a toppic i like but the poll options suck that much that i stoped voting on that polls and write my thoughts in there.
i dont think they should be not allowed but ppl simply stop voting. an idea cant be that popular if there where only 50 yes, i am the rul0r poll option and 30 posts that tell the starter that his poll sucks.

Scikar
21-03-04, 14:25
Death to biased polls.

These boards are becoming less and less civil discussion/debate, and more and more immature "my dick's bigger than yours, n00b!" Ending biased polls would be a first step against that.

It's not censorship at all, you can still post a poll, you can still post something funny along with it, just use your brain and thinking of something funny that isn't biased or a veiled pre-flame. After all, that's all biased polls are when you think about it. Rather than waiting for someone to disagree, and then flaming them, the thread starter auto-flames them when they say No.

EDIT: And dromsex options stopped being funny a long time ago. The only reason anyone still did them was as a tribute to Lexx, and he's gone now.

Lexxuk
21-03-04, 14:33
Originally posted by Scikar
EDIT: And dromsex options stopped being funny a long time ago. The only reason anyone still did them was as a tribute to Lexx, and he's gone now.

As the person who made the first ever "I sleep with dead animals" poll, I'll explain why I did.

Back in the old days, the forum was very active, with lots of posts, and lots of polls, I added the ISWDA option, simply as an "abstain" option for people who dont want to vote yes, and dont want to vote no.

One of the first ones actually had to be changed from ISWDA to I play AO 24/7 and wear womens clothing, because everyone voted for the option, but its purely there as a vote option, cause people will vote for a abstain option that is different.

Biased polls though, I made one of them too, question was "are polls biased" options were "yes" and "yes" ended up 50/50, so polls are really not all that biased.

Freya
21-03-04, 14:42
Thread closed
In extreme cases we will close polls that are so biased that they are effectively trolls, otherwise if you don't like the options, don't vote, if they are offensice they will be delt with