PDA

View Full Version : Yeah read ! - Thanatos rpgvault interview out

Asleifson
21-03-04, 01:45
Hi,

just found it !!

Interview (http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/500/500674p1.html)

Asleifson

Drake6k
21-03-04, 01:48
OMG SO COOL!!!!

Valkyrie
21-03-04, 01:53
As Neocron will have launched a nuclear assault on DOY once the expansion gets released, most of the city's huge buildings are lying in ruins and the atmosphere is very dark compared to Neocron's clean look.

:eek:

Awesome! :D

Glok
21-03-04, 01:58
This bugs me:
The 12 factions the players can join are currently in a rather complicated web of relationships. The two blocs of pro- and anti-governmental factions fight among each other and have alliances with ideological enemies, some open, others more secretive. With the expansion pack, the pro-government factions will remain in Neocron and the other will move to Dome of York. To make things simpler, all Neocron factions will be officially allied or at least neutral to each other; the same goes for the DOY factions. Of course, the Runners can still use the secret hostility among the factions of one bloc to role-play conflicts. But everyone will have a clear enemy, the guys from the other city.As does this:
The Wisdom of Ceres (the name comes from the Ceres Archive, a database that contains all human knowledge from before the apocalyptic events) skills will add a new challenge for our more experienced players. Before even thinking about obtaining one of these skills, Runners must reach the cap in their main attributes. To obtain the skill itself, the Runner then has to gather a large amount of experience points, find a specific artifact and perform a quest.So, I have to cap INT on my monk to get WoC skills? How fucking nice is that.

Callash
21-03-04, 02:00
As Neocron will have launched a nuclear assault on DOY once the expansion gets released, most of the city's huge buildings are lying in ruins and the atmosphere is very dark compared to Neocron's clean look.
Unfortunately, Thanatos gave out more information than he was supposed to (*smacks Michel*). Fortunately, he got it wrong :D It's not that simple, Neocron will not launch a missile at DoY.

EDIT:

Originally posted by Glok
This bugs me:As does this:So, I have to cap INT on my monk to get WoC skills? How fucking nice is that.
It says "main attributes", doesn't it? Last time I checked, a monk's main attribute was PSI. :p

Glok
21-03-04, 02:06
Originally posted by Callash
It says "main attributes", doesn't it? Last time I checked, a monk's main attribute was PSI. :p Yes, but attiributes is plural. That means psi and int on a monk. :(

edit: If it is just psi, then cool beans. I sure hope so. mehirc I think it was posted a while ago about his quest to cap int. My lord did he kill a lot of high level mobs. :o

Eddie
21-03-04, 02:11
Originally posted by Glok
Yes, but attiributes is plural. That means psi and int on a monk. :(

edit: If it is just psi, then cool beans. I sure hope so. mehirc I think it was posted a while ago about his quest to cap int. My lord did he kill a lot of high level mobs. :o

But he could mean attributes in reference to the attributes of STR for a tank, PSI for a monk, DEX for a spy.. combined :P

Anyway.. a damn nice all round "peek" - as we seem to have been starved of them so far.

Thanks for keeping us informed!

Eddie

Glok
21-03-04, 02:18
Originally posted by Eddie
But he could mean attributes in reference to the attributes of STR for a tank, PSI for a monk, DEX for a spy.. combined :POh right. My bad. :o

Judge
21-03-04, 02:20
Very very nice... I'm liking the more detailed info about graphics and WoC skills.

Naughty Thanatos.... Callash is pissed with you. :p

sw1tch
21-03-04, 02:24
nice; real nice :)

sticky!

Spoon
21-03-04, 02:25
With the expansion pack, the pro-government factions will remain in Neocron and the other will move to Dome of York. To make things simpler, all Neocron factions will be officially allied or at least neutral to each other; the same goes for the DOY factions. Of course, the Runners can still use the secret hostility among the factions of one bloc to role-play conflicts. But everyone will have a clear enemy, the guys from the other city.

Fricken awesome......

Secret Hostility?

:cool:

Morganth
21-03-04, 02:30
Can't wait doe BDOY to be released now!

Hope that some of the new people that should join due to advertisement of BDOY join DRE and some of the lesser populated factions to make them more balanced.

sanityislost
21-03-04, 02:31
OMFG......weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! :D :D

ServeX
21-03-04, 02:35
sounds semi cool, but im not convinced that players will stick with the city factions. everything out there is pointing that anticity is the way to go. and the fact that anticity is no longer in civil war only points towards neocron being obliberated. goodluck pluto, saturn, uranus, with your great sense of procity power.

msdong
21-03-04, 02:39
hmm, the GFX thing makes me wonder a little. they talk of effects, shadows, textures.
what about polycount and visibility ?

is "wargames" just another neofrag ?

Psyco Groupie
21-03-04, 02:47
sweet.

Tratos
21-03-04, 02:53
sounds good :D

teh uber!

Im thinking uber video at the beginging when you install seening the mass fight with the fucking up of the dome :D

~Tratos

update the homepage, cough

Mirco
21-03-04, 03:20
I would like to know some % numbers about fps increase and stuff like that. With all gfx options turned on and off and the specs on the system its tried on and how it effects combat. I can imagine aiming for non-monks will improve if we can get good stable fps.

Omnituens
21-03-04, 03:27
well since they are switching rendering to DX9 and altering the engine to make more use of the gpu rather than the cpu...

...its going to be fucking sweet :D

MrChumble
21-03-04, 03:45
Michel Feidt: As we are a pretty small team of around 20 people, we are all working very hard to get all the features done to make a Q2 2004 release. So far, it's looking good.

unf unf unf

Omnituens
21-03-04, 03:48
Originally posted by MrChumble
unf unf unf
is that the sound of you humping Thanatos' leg?

RayBob
21-03-04, 03:53
Very good read.

Shadow Dancer
21-03-04, 03:54
The Wastelands are being filled with "scenario" spots, introducing new monsters, dungeons and quests.

EXCELLENT

There is also a much wider choice of options to customize avatars with different hairstyles, beards, etc. By adding more visible armor, cloth and items like sunglasses or the often requested cigarettes, players have a much broader range of customization options.

VERY NICE

However, instead of adding new zones, we decided to enrich the Wastelands with lots of scenario locations. The Wastelands are already pretty big and we feel that more, richer content in the existing world will be the most enjoyable.

VERY NICE

The gliders will play an important role in the outpost fights (clan vs. clan); they are a very good tool for dispatching automated base defenses, but as they are more fragile than the land-based vehicles

Not so nice.

Overall nice interview. I like the attention they put to the wastelands, as it's already a huge place with lots of possibilities.

<3 Thanatos

Omnituens
21-03-04, 03:58
at least make the gliders landable, so they dont blow up if you cough at them or something

Psyco Groupie
21-03-04, 03:59
sd they move faster than light anyway and can fly higher than most ranges

Doc Holliday
21-03-04, 04:00
sounds real nice. cant wait.

El_MUERkO
21-03-04, 04:06
All sounds good, heres the thing though, will Wisdom of ceres stuff be like epic items, undropable cool stuff? or can you do the quests more than once?

Say for example the tanks one gave him a choice between a heavy combat and melee combat reward then conceivably a tank could have 2 undropable kick ass weapons, red SL wouldnt be much of a worry any more.

I'm really looking forward to BDOY but with some many things changing theirs a real danger of the return of the cookie cutter setup.

MrChumble
21-03-04, 04:11
Originally posted by Omnituens
is that the sound of you humping Thanatos' leg?

*squirt*

Ahem :o

I hope the proper release isn't delayed as much as the pre-order :)

Shadow Dancer
21-03-04, 04:14
Originally posted by Psyco Groupie
sd they move faster than light anyway and can fly higher than most ranges

Do you know how expensive tanks are? I can only imagine that gliders will be ultra expensive. And imagine flying one then FREing.

I don't see how ultra expensive vehicles will be a "major point" in op wars.

MrChumble
21-03-04, 04:19
I can build a Rhino tank for 59k or so. It's just a shame they are slower than an apu on foot, so as such suck donkey wang. Shove a ppu up said APUs ass and the tank becomes totally useless. And they die faster than a reveller O_o

So much potential wasted. If Gliders are the same I'm going to <insert threat that's so absurd it would never be carried out> to Thanatos.

Shujin
21-03-04, 04:32
note the image for neocron ;]

http://vaultmedia.ign.com/rpgvault/image/neocronbdoy040320t_1079818198.jpeg

Mattimeo
21-03-04, 04:34
Michel Feidt: As we are a pretty small team of around 20 people, we are all working very hard to get all the features done to make a Q2 2004 release. So far, it's looking good.

unf unf unf

"looking good" :rolleyes:

I'll believe any of this when I see it.

Shujin
21-03-04, 04:35
Originally posted by Mattimeo
"looking good" :rolleyes:

I'll believe any of this when I see it. troll ;|

Mattimeo
21-03-04, 04:42
Originally posted by Shujin
troll ;|

nope, just faithless in anything KK says. Seeing is the only believing I can do with them anymore.

NS_CHROME54
21-03-04, 05:27
i'm really hoping they make a flying vehicle with a super strong fusion cannon, as AoE would be infinitely easier to use for a flying vehicle than non-AoE.

i can see fusion bolts raining from the sky...

awesome interview btw, thx for the long awaited peek :D

Omnituens
21-03-04, 06:00
i think the price on the TS for the gliders were about 600K

jernau
21-03-04, 06:17
The two blocs of pro- and anti-governmental factions

Why not just get over it and call them "Terrorists" and "Counter-terrorists"?

Then you can drop the pretence of any long term prospects for the game and watch it die because the FPS market is saturated with games that are 1000x better in that regard.

:rolleyes: :(

gostly
21-03-04, 06:57
Hacking into enemy servers will allow Runners to do things like spy for useful information or steal blueprints. It is also possible to hack and fight your way through to a GenRep that was either inactive or even prohibited (inside the enemy city) and materialize at it.

so basically they'll be able to go through all the trouble to meet a guard at the gr and die?...

The 12 factions the players can join are currently in a rather complicated web of relationships. The two blocs of pro- and anti-governmental factions fight among each other and have alliances with ideological enemies, some open, others more secretive. With the expansion pack, the pro-government factions will remain in Neocron and the other will move to Dome of York. To make things simpler, all Neocron factions will be officially allied or at least neutral to each other; the same goes for the DOY factions. Of course, the Runners can still use the secret hostility among the factions of one bloc to role-play conflicts. But everyone will have a clear enemy, the guys from the other city.

this IMO is really really dumb...no faction-conflicts within the same city?...that's stupid...sorry but i just dont like the fact that BD will be forced to be ''allied'' with TG/TS/FA/etc. and im sure they dont wanna be ''allied'' either, i thought it was said that clans are gunna be more of a top priority with doy?...atleast i hope they fix the clan wars by then...

hate making assumptions about things i havent seen, but have only heard about...but what can we do til then but assume...those are the 2 main things that got me a little bit :mad:

Tycho C
21-03-04, 07:12
When DOY ir released, I'm getting a sec char just to make a Glider driving PE...

"Neocron, the NEW standard for Flight Simulation!"

Shujin
21-03-04, 07:12
Originally posted by gostly
so basically they'll be able to go through all the trouble to meet a guard at the gr and die?...

this IMO is really really dumb...no faction-conflicts within the same city?...that's stupid...sorry but i just dont like the fact that BD will be forced to be ''allied'' with TG/TS/FA/etc. and im sure they dont wanna be ''allied'' either, i thought it was said that clans are gunna be more of a top priority with doy?...atleast i hope they fix the clan wars by then...

hate making assumptions about things i havent seen, but have only heard about...but what can we do til then but assume...those are the 2 main things that got me a little bit :mad: he never said there would be no inner city conflicts. he said people could still use secret hostility among the factions

gostly
21-03-04, 07:13
To make things simpler, all Neocron factions will be officially allied or at least neutral to each other; the same goes for the DOY factions.

then what's this about?

edit: grrr...you edited yours...:lol: secret hostility just means clan wars...and as they are right now dont mean anything except of list of clans that are kos

Shujin
21-03-04, 07:14
then what's this about? then what's this about?
the Runners can still use the secret hostility among the factions of one bloc to role-play conflicts

gostly
21-03-04, 07:20
::sigh::...lol...you edit yours while i make new post...i then edit mine while you make a new post...

basically it's saying anti-city versus pro-city...everyone within each will be either allied or neutral to each other and no longer hostile factions...in-game right now we fight allied/neutral/hostile factions...just whatever conflicts with the clan comes first, faction second...clan wars better start working when doy comes...no SL loss and some hostile color on a clan you're at war with should show...dont see why they havent worked on this and put it into the game right now

Invertigo
21-03-04, 07:35
i still dont understand why they arnt doing open beta testing...how are they going to stress test the engine, and netcode? this makes no sence...you can do that shit with only 20-40 people...

they gotta do like planetside did, and purposly crash the servers by letting like 8 thousand people connect to it...

i just think it would be better if they did, but the obviously it would take away the surprise of everything that is expected...so i can understand that... but arghhh i just hope they know what there doing with the netcoding, because it needs serious work.

Shujin
21-03-04, 07:41
::sigh::...lol...you edit yours while i make new post...i then edit mine while you make a new post...

basically it's saying anti-city versus pro-city...everyone within each will be either allied or neutral to each other and no longer hostile factions...in-game right now we fight allied/neutral/hostile factions...just whatever conflicts with the clan comes first, faction second...clan wars better start working when doy comes...no SL loss and some hostile color on a clan you're at war with should show...dont see why they havent worked on this and put it into the game right now actually the thing is, you dont know even what its basicly saying. all the stuff you are saying are asumptions :P unless your thanatos u dont know what he's saying ;]...

dont make assumptions, it'll lead to rumors and people expect it to be like that, then when its not like that a bunch fo people will complain and say "KK said there would only be allied factions in the city!"

jernau
21-03-04, 07:44
Originally posted by Invertigo
i still dont understand why they arnt doing open beta testing...how are they going to stress test the engine, and netcode? this makes no sence...you can do that shit with only 20-40 people...

they gotta do like planetside did, and purposly crash the servers by letting like 8 thousand people connect to it...

i just think it would be better if they did, but the obviously it would take away the surprise of everything that is expected...so i can understand that... but arghhh i just hope they know what there doing with the netcoding, because it needs serious work.

I think the TS shows clearly that KK don't have the first clue about testing.

OTOH If they are testing it there are far better ways than open betas. The worrying thing is that they aren't doing them.

gostly
21-03-04, 07:46
actually the thing is, you dont know even what its basicly saying. all the stuff you are saying are asumptions :P unless your thanatos u dont know what he's saying ;]...

dont make assumptions, it'll lead to rumors and people expect it to be like that, then when its not like that a bunch fo people will complain and say "KK said there would only be allied factions in the city!"

i know...i said i dont like making assumptions about things im not sure of yet...but thats all we can do right now is assume things when things from the staff are said...

trust me i hope what im assuming is wrong...

Shujin
21-03-04, 07:46
i know...i said i dont like making assumptions about things im not sure of yet...but thats all we can do right now is assume things when things from the staff are said...

trust me i hope what im assuming is wrong... [edited violation of fourm rules][freya]

jernau
21-03-04, 07:48
Shujin, they've hinted at this a few times now and It's becoming increasingly clear what is coming.

I wasn't going to pay to be bored in Planetside and neither were a lot of other people on this forum. I certainly won't pay for a less professional version of it.

edit :

trust me i hope what im assuming is wrong...

What he said, but I am more sure I'm not every time KK say anything.

gostly
21-03-04, 07:50
edited for consistancy

lol :lol: that cracked me up

on a more on-topic comment....when is second quarter?...isnt that like...soon?...lol

ServeX
21-03-04, 07:57
Shujin...do you purposely make typos?

I can't think of one of your posts where you don't make like 10,000 typos.

jernau
21-03-04, 08:08
when is second quarter?...isnt that like...soon?...lol

April 1st -> June 30th.

So if KK actually hit this deadline it'll be 23:55 CET on 30th June.

Shujin
21-03-04, 08:10
Originally posted by ServeX
Shujin...do you purposely make typos?

I can't think of one of your posts where you don't make like 10,000 typos. dur ;P

99.9% of the time i say teh, its purposely ;]
99.9% of the time when i say fo ( don't say it much ) its on purpose.
99.9% i make most typo's O_o its on purpose

100% of the time i make a typo in a big word its not on purpose but im to lazy to go back and correct it.

edit:
i like ending words with eh.
unless its a word like... like. ;P dont like the sound of it.

but Teh, like the sound teh, meh, like the sound meh ;]

like "pass meh teh thingeh"
eh replaces my ie, ey, and y most of the time. sometimes i put it on words that dont even need it.

example of that:

wtfeh ( never said it before but i will now ;D )
and dun like saying omg, so i say 0mahgawd ;0

notneo
21-03-04, 08:15
did anyone else see it q2 2004,looks like another couple months

jernau
21-03-04, 08:19
dur ;P

99.9% of the time i say teh, its purposely ;]
99.9% of the time when i say fo ( don't say it much ) its on purpose.
99.9% i make most typo's O_o its on purpose

100% of the time i make a typo in a big word its not on purpose but im to lazy to go back and correct it.

edit:
i like ending words with eh.
unless its a word like... like. ;P dont like the sound of it.

but Teh, like the sound teh, meh, like the sound meh ;]

like "pass meh teh thingeh"
eh replaces my ie, ey, and y most of the time. sometimes i put it on words that dont even need it.

example of that:

wtfeh ( never said it before but i will now ;D )
and dun like saying omg, so i say 0mahgawd ;0

Shujin didn't disable Clippy the MS paperclip. It uninstalled itself and commited suicide in case he tried to reinstall.8|

Shujin
21-03-04, 08:19
Originally posted by notneo
did anyone else see it q2 2004,looks like another couple months wow how did you expand 9 days into a couple months?

you must share this information! it is vital to science! seriously man... if you can expand 9 days into 2 months... wow think of the implications man. someone, like me, might have a 10+ page paper due monday. if 9 days is 2 months, that means i will have 6 days until monday!

PLEASE TELL ME

Originally posted by jernau
Shujin didn't disable Clippy the MS paperclip. It uninstalled itself and commited suicide in case he tried to reinstall.8|

i hate that dude ;]
and actually i dont even have office. and i type all my papers in notepad / wordpad so i can type correctly if i need to.

ServeX
21-03-04, 08:21
god shujin, how you're capable of such pure genius just baffles me. you must be part of the secret society of mensas's that no one knows about....

Shujin
21-03-04, 08:22
god shujin, how you're capable of such pure genius just baffles me. you must be part of the secret society of mensas's that no one knows about.... yea i got a secret ring and everything, put it doesnt go on meh finger O_o...

jernau
21-03-04, 08:22
god shujin, how you're capable of such pure genius just baffles me. you must be part of the secret society of mensas's that no one knows about....

"Mensah's" surely?

Shujin
21-03-04, 08:23
"Mensah's" surely? menseh in my language.

edit:
also it is correctly written "Menseh' shurleh?"

i dont like putting s' after the '

jernau
21-03-04, 08:25
menseh in my language.

edit:
also it is correctly written "Menseh' shurleh?"

i dont like putting s' after the '

That's a bit it close to "mensex" isn't it?

Careful typing not being a strong point and all....

Shujin
21-03-04, 08:28
That's a bit it close to "mensex" isn't it?

Careful typing not being a strong point and all.... not as close as ServeX is to cervix ;]

but s'ok because ServeX in meh language is
ServehX or SevX ( dont like usin r much either )

when i read jernau i usally read it jenau some reason O_o

think im a bit dyslexic too. sometimes when im readin something allowd i say it backwards O_O
its fuckin freaky i read it straight and say it backwards ;P
do it ALOT with numbers. i see 5.23. i say 3.25

ps. ur sexeh jerneh

notneo
21-03-04, 08:31
dont u guys read says q2 release at the end of the intervew,you my havea paper due but it does nt mean your a genius ,just to mych time on your hands

Shujin
21-03-04, 08:32
dont u guys read says q2 release at the end of the intervew,you my havea paper due but it does nt mean your a genius ,just to mych time on your hands ok, i know im bad... but can someone translate this? :P jk, wtf are you on man? i didnt say i was a genius... and wtf are you talking about to much time on my hands?! i got 1 fuckin day to do it... omahfawkingawd

Rai Wong
21-03-04, 08:50
The ProCA side is too weak lol....when the war starts everyone would be in DoY :(

it'll starts off as 250 players try to gank the storm bot doors, then entereing the city and wondering why nobody is defending it.

Invertigo
21-03-04, 08:55
Originally posted by Rai Wong
The ProCA side is too weak lol....when the war starts everyone would be in DoY :(

it'll starts off as 250 players try to gank the storm bot doors, then entereing the city and wondering why nobody is defending it.

well, although some of my chars will be able to visit doy, my main ones are going to fight DOY...

but yea im sure theres going to be a big jump to anti city when doy comes out

notneo
21-03-04, 09:34
[edited violation of fourm rules][freya]

Shujin
21-03-04, 09:46
edited for consistancy CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WTF?!

Invertigo
21-03-04, 10:12
talk about a thread hijack... i was trying to get it back on topic but i have failed:rolleyes:

Shadow Dancer
21-03-04, 10:27
I don't understand the last 15 posts. Anyways, does anyone know if Fallen Angels will be able to travel to NC and DOY?

Omnituens
21-03-04, 10:28
what was the thread topic?

oh yeah

this so called nuclear attack sounds odd, if it isnt a missle strike how is the payload delivered?

hmmmmm.....

EDIT: oh oh i have an idea :D
probably wrong though

Shujin
21-03-04, 10:30
what was the thread topic?

oh yeah

this so called nuclear attack sounds odd, if it isnt a missle strike how is the payload delivered?

hmmmmm..... ohh forgot about that aswell.

How big is the nuke? what type of nuke? is it a normal nuke? dirty nuke? 1 megaton? 2 megaton?

is it really an atom bomb or a hydrogen bomb?

ezza
21-03-04, 11:04
The 12 factions the players can join are currently in a rather complicated web of relationships. The two blocs of pro- and anti-governmental factions fight among each other and have alliances with ideological enemies, some open, others more secretive. With the expansion pack, the pro-government factions will remain in Neocron and the other will move to Dome of York. To make things simpler, all Neocron factions will be officially allied or at least neutral to each other; the same goes for the DOY factions. Of course, the Runners can still use the secret hostility among the factions of one bloc to role-play conflicts. But everyone will have a clear enemy, the guys from the other city.

so basically cos some fuckers are incapable of following a imo simple factions system there making it even easier for those simpletons to follow.

great, basically its not gonna matter which factions your gonnabe in cos your symps will be the same.

they better give us some damn good reasons for being in the faction if there going to do this

ino
21-03-04, 11:54
Looks niice everything looks nice :).

I heavent read through all 5 pages so maby someone allready talked about this. But almost the most important thing thats needs a fixup in the game is the NETCODE, is this also uppgraded :)?

If not imagine the day 1000 ppl having a saturn/pluto/uranus account wants to join in and try doy. That will suck bigass if the netcode isnt looked at now.

Cause If im not a total retard, this is what makes the game so damn messed up on servers like saturn when there is arround 260 - 320+ ppl online, making it for me (spoiled bb internet player) unplayable. It cant just be a pain in the ass for ppl with great connections, it has to be extreemly annoying to modem ppl and cable aswell.

msdong
21-03-04, 14:14
Originally posted by ino
... But almost the most important thing thats needs a fixup in the game is the NETCODE, is this also uppgraded :)? ...

man, no official KK kan tell in an Interview on a Gamesite say:"With doy we add a new NEtcode because the old one sucks." or "hey the FPS suck atm but it will get a boost with DoY" :)

MrChumble
21-03-04, 14:28
The current faction system sucks monkey nuts anyway. It's almost impossible to have any real enemies or allies because your enemy is allied to your ally who's allied to your enemy who's nuetral to your friend who's enemy to your allied neutral friendly faction-allegiance ignoring enemy :rolleyes:

A little streamlining should improve things no end :)

It's not gonna just be an FPS like Planetside, there's still the character dev element, the PvM, the inner-city conflicts ("allowed" or not we all know they're gonna happen anyway), the OP wars, seriously cool co-ordinated hacknet attacks, really just everything there is in NC just now, plus more, without the fucked faction system.

Have some faith in KK, for all that NC is more buggy than an ant farm it is still highly addictive and really good fun. If DoY is a success (and we can all help make it a success) they will be able to hire more coders, more content/rp co-ordinators etc, and things will just keep getting better. I mean CDV aren't involved this time. It can hardly be worse than the original release :D

Saza
21-03-04, 14:50
ohh forgot about that aswell.

How big is the nuke? what type of nuke? is it a normal nuke? dirty nuke? 1 megaton? 2 megaton?

is it really an atom bomb or a hydrogen bomb?

Originally posted by Callash
Unfortunately, Thanatos gave out more information than he was supposed to (*smacks Michel*). Fortunately, he got it wrong :D It's not that simple, Neocron will not launch a missile at DoY.

Idiot :lol: . (I'm joking)

And anways, looks cool, and if they can stick to this deadline then I will be KK's gimp for life.

Hacknet...... *ejaculates*

Radamez
21-03-04, 15:11
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
does anyone know if Fallen Angels will be able to travel to NC and DOY?

I was wondering this aswell, I think it's highly likely that they'll be pushed to DoY, and DoY only, seems every faction will become officially anti-city or pro-city.. with no middle ground.

I have my heart set on becoming Anarchy Breed in any case :D :D :D

steweygrrr
21-03-04, 15:19
With regards to the pro-city/anti-city thing, I think it will be just like it is now. For example Biotech and TT will get on because they have to but no one says they have to like it. They are rival departments of the same corporation and what do rivals do? Fight :D. Same with FA and Crahn, getting along because they have to...but Crahn will still probably detest the way that FA have left religion behind completely etc.

edit:- I think that we may have been judging the Spyclass mainskill wrong as well, it may actually be that spies get WoC skills for INT rather than DEX. Roll a new spy and tell me which of its stats starts out higher...INT or DEX

ino
21-03-04, 15:40
msdong, they could have said something like and we have also worked on improving the netcode for an even better gaming experience. Same as the graphical issue.

Dribble Joy
21-03-04, 15:51
I don't understand the last 15 posts. Anyways, does anyone know if Fallen Angels will be able to travel to NC and DOY?

Fucking better be, along with the mercs (:D)

Ozambabbaz
21-03-04, 16:20
with DX engine getting an overhaul, runner graphics improved and all, what about the minimum reqs? according to the box and the downloadable manual it's

Minimum system requirements:
Pentium II 400 or equivalent
64 MB RAM
Direct3D compatible video card with at least 8 MB (TNT1 or equivalent)
56.6k Internet connection
Windows 95/98/2000/ME/XP
DirectX 7 or higher
DirectSound compatible sound card

i'm sorry, i don't think that's enough to run a tradeskiller, except in your apartment.

Additional recommendations:
Pentium III 550 or equivalent
128 MB RAM
Direct3D compatible video card with at least 32 MB (TNT2 or better)

The additional reqs, hmm, i have a barton 2500+, 512 megs DDR at 400 FSB and an outdated GF2mx400 64 megs, combined thats pretty much over the top compared to the recommended setup, but i can't set full graphic details and get more than 4 FPS at stress-level.

What will the new recommended setup be for a machine that will run the game at good detail, with minimum ~20 FPS at stress levels?

jernau
21-03-04, 16:21
Originally posted by Radamez
I was wondering this aswell, I think it's highly likely that they'll be pushed to DoY, and DoY only, seems every faction will become officially anti-city or pro-city.. with no middle ground.

This is also wrong, stupid and shitty.:mad:

@steweygrrr - INT is the Spy mainskill.

@ino - the "netcode" is not the problem, it's the shitty Fisher Price database.

msdong
21-03-04, 17:11
Originally posted by ino
msdong, they could have said something like and we have also worked on improving the netcode for an even better gaming experience. Same as the graphical issue.

problem is that it sill sounds like "our netcode in NC is shlt" this is an feature you cant see and so its not presented. if you look the past peeks its allways something you can "show".

and on the end of that interview is the link to the 10 day trial. i would think twice if i read about "better" netcode to be published with the V2 version ill have to buy in 2 month.

...@steweygrrr - INT is the Spy mainskill.

that mainly depend on if you are a Trader or a War Spy

Psyco Groupie
21-03-04, 17:15
Will everyone stop being opinionated, synical old age pensioners ? its getting really boring now.

If you dont like the game leave, if you do .. prase it ... jesus

ino
21-03-04, 17:26
@Jernau it really feels like it is the netcode, cause I can have a pretty decent ping and still it can take up to 10 damn seconds so throw off my heal and other ppu spells, I cant even begin to describe how extreemly annoying that is.

It's like Regular Quake 1 not the quakeworld wich have improved netcode, you get wierd lags or wierd stuff happening but you still have a nice connection to the server (I know quake netcode and Neocron isnt really in the same leauge but still:) )

But if it is the database I sure hope they will upgrade it until doy, I cant force my self to read through all the doy info that has been posted :) Cause I'd like servers to have population of atleast 500 easily without it becoming wierd like saturn is now. More ppl often mean more fun, and it's kind of that kk and us wants with doy.

Well dispite the whatever reason it may be that saturn becomes wierd at arround 300+ ppl, I still reeeaheeealy want doy :).

jernau
21-03-04, 17:54
Originally posted by msdong
that mainly depend on if you are a Trader or a War Spy

Technically, no. All classes have a "primary" skill and for spies that's INT. You get more points at the start, more total and more team XP goes to INT than DEX.

edit - @oni : Obviously I haven't seen the code/servers but I'd bet that it's the DB. 90%+ of the bugs and performance issues with NC (exc client FPS) are consistent with the problems that I would expect from using mySQL for this kind of application. The client-server "netcode" actually seems to be very good.

Shadow Dancer
21-03-04, 19:52
Originally posted by Dribble Joy
Fucking better be, along with the mercs (:D)

I dunno. KK is making it seem like you will either be for NC or against NC.

Damn, I didn't want it to be that black and white. :(

ServeX
21-03-04, 20:35
yea, go procity shadow then we can be sexh together k.

Omnituens
21-03-04, 20:40
The client-server "netcode" actually seems to be very good.
what about the flying folk?
and the server placing you in the wrong place?
and sync errors?
and stealth being lagged out?

seems borked to me....

Shadow Dancer
21-03-04, 20:40
yea, go procity shadow then we can be sexh together k.

But I wanna see doy. :p

I would only go pro-city if I had a PE or spy. Then I could stealth inside doy. :p

Shujin
21-03-04, 20:41
But I wanna see doy. :p

I would only go pro-city if I had a PE or spy. Then I could stealth inside doy. :p or hacknet inside

Omnituens
21-03-04, 20:46
or hacknet inside
then get promptly nuked by the 118/118 *** DoY gaurdian sat on the GR there.

Shujin
21-03-04, 20:47
then get promptly nuked by the 118/118 *** DoY gaurdian sat on the GR there. u dont know its gonna be like that... even if ur kidding dont say that its fuckin annoying reading people say something that they have absolutly NO clue what will be there.

you say it will be like that, then people read that, and people tell other people that, KK doesnt do that, and people gets pissed because they think KK said it would be like that

I dont think gaurds will be set around GR's anymore

why?
because they said that enemies wont be able to GR through, so why would they need to be gaurded?
the only way enemies could gr thru is thru hacknet

Omnituens
21-03-04, 20:50
well it just seems odd that DoY should be connected to the GR system at all

same with TG... but they have guards sat on the GR too... dont hear you complaining about that...

EDIT: good point, maybe at doy the gaurds arounf TG will also be moved.

Scikar
21-03-04, 20:52
I think that's the point Omni. They're not linked directly, so you have to make the link through HackNet. Plus you wouldn't necessarily get nuked on the other side either - not every GR in NC is guarded, DoY would probably be the same. And there's no reason why KK can't add something like if you GR using HackNet you automatically get 30 seconds of stealth on the other side.

Shujin
21-03-04, 20:55
well it just seems odd that DoY should be connected to the GR system at all

same with TG... but they have guards sat on the GR too... dont hear you complaining about that...

wtf are u on? i'm not complaing at all O_o... wtf i seriously wish people would read first >.<.

one guy in this thread already called me an ass for no aparent reason, now you are saying im complaining.

and did you read what i said before you posted that?
in the interview with thanatos , thanatos said Anti-NC factions will no longer be able to GR to NC, and Pro-NC will not be able to GR to DoY.

and what about TG no one was saying anything about it. and yes it has gaurds... but im pretty sure bdoy isnt out yet...

ps. i wub joo guy ;0 kiss meh

Omnituens
21-03-04, 20:56
Originally posted by Scikar
They're not linked directly, so you have to make the link through HackNet.
what about the anti-NC factions though?

if DoY isnt connected to the GR system, how can they get there?

unless you blocked all access from NC to DoY, then you had to bypass the block using hacknet by hacking the city GRs and routing though a OP/non-claimable GR.

Shujin
21-03-04, 20:58
what about the anti-NC factions though?

if DoY isnt connected to the GR system, how can they get there?

unless you blocked all access from NC to DoY, then you had to bypass the block using hacknet by hacking the city GRs and routing though a OP/non-claimable GR. heh ok think about it like this

Next makes assloads of GR's and throws them in the wastelands,

DoY steals them all and puts them in DoY and next replaces the ones in the wastelands ;]

there ;P

and to prevent NC'ians from getting to doY they put a lil security check

and NC does the same to prevent DoY

so hackers can hack in and try to bypass the security checks

;]
so it is connected just edited

Omnituens
21-03-04, 21:00
yeah, suppose you are right, they wont need a doy guardian sat on the gr

i mean, a GRing spy with 200 hack? a DoY mutated roach would do the trick.

Shujin
21-03-04, 21:02
yeah, suppose you are right, they wont need a doy guardian sat on the gr

i mean, a GRing spy with 200 hack? a DoY mutated roach would do the trick. actually my PPU has 160 hack and is still able to protect it self VERY well.

and i doubt 200 will be needed ;P

Sorontar
21-03-04, 21:07
Not sure how the holovests are gonna work but if you appear in DoY from hacknet looking like their ally then you would be okay.

There are gonna be many different vests for the class type , are there also going to be different factions to make the above possible ?

jernau
21-03-04, 21:14
what about the flying folk?
and the server placing you in the wrong place?
and sync errors?
and stealth being lagged out?

seems borked to me....

flying - almost certainly a client-side calculation error.
wrong place - as in warping? - this looks like data corruption their end....
sync - I'm quite certain this is timeouts in the DB not passing valid data between the servers.
stealth - again, I think this is because the DB is slow telling the servers which weapons you can equip now.

The simple test here is to look at network performance independent of the game while problems are actually happening. This clearly shows that there is no evidence of routing/network problems up to their gateway. Therefore the problem is inside KK's server network.

It's extremely unlikely that there is a bottleneck in the network at that level so it must be something else. The most likely point of failure is the DB because a) it's common to all areas and b) it's easy to get wrong.

Then we find out they use mySQL which :
a) has appaling performance under heavy load of simultaneous read/write - this causes the server code to have to wait for data leading to what looks like "lag spikes" to the client.
b) has poor record locking meaning that data can be overwitten when it shouldn't be or that it won't be released when it should - this could cause sync outs/inventory swaps/character swaps/PE model bug/random warping/wrong apt bug/etc./etc.
c) has no transaction logging - hence KK's worrying problems with roll-backs
d) is a cobbled together mess of a data-store format that takes a lot of work to maintain properly - hence the reason the busy servers need kicking/rebooting every so often and why they haven't cleared out the old accounts for fear of breaking the whole thing.

I know that some people like to throw around pseudo-techie terms like "net-code" on boards like this but I really wish they would either learn what they mean or not bother. The issues with Quake were all around data-effiiciency and integrity over slow connections between client and server. Neocron shows little degredation between narrow-band and broad-band links so I don't believe this is an issue here. Also, the nature of the game means that it doesn't need the high efficiency of "twitch" games.

Like I said above I have never seen their code or their servers but I can look at what we do know of their systems and list the problems they are likely to encounter and why. That list exactly matches the problems we see every day so I am pretty confident in my assessment.

Invertigo
21-03-04, 21:30
it is alot to do with the netcode too jernau.

lets just say both things could use a nice upgrade...

Omnituens
21-03-04, 21:38
and i doubt 200 will be needed ;P
your hack skill determins how proficient you are with the hacknet weapons, therefore i used 200 because hacking into the opponents main location gonna be tough...

jernau - there is another problem... level3 is shite :p

jernau
21-03-04, 21:41
Originally posted by Invertigo
it is alot to do with the netcode too jernau.

lets just say both things could use a nice upgrade...

Please define what you mean by "netcode".

Do you mean the code to transfer data between the servers?
Do you mean the code to transfer data from the servers to the clients?

If the former - I seriously doubt it as there will be so much surplus bandwidth there.
If the latter - This is provably not the case.

Please explain in detail a) what you mean by "netcode", b) how you think it is faulty and c) a clear link from those faults to actual problems in the game. I can do all of this for the DB theory and I can see strong counters to the "net-code" theory.

/edit : @Omni - Indeed the hosting can be an issue however that's likely to cause much more intermittent problems whereas a lot of these are there 24/7. Tbh I don't know for sure whether L3 are good or bad but I've not heard anyone complain about them other than in relation to NC. I do know they are a large enough company with very good data links so I am sceptical at placing blame on them without evidence. In my extensive experience of major hosting facilities it's not a business you go into blindly or last long in if you can't provide high-quality service.

Ka0s^
22-03-04, 00:20
I wonder how many ppl will ACTUALLY stay procity.... ive always been FA (apart from a brief spell in TT many many moons ago)
I havent faction hopped, but ill be amazed if ppl dont change to one of the allied DoY factions, even if its just so u can make the most of the new areas. Sure the wastes will be a cool "middle ground" to fight over, but i think with the amount of effort it will take to get 1 person to a DoY GR via hacknet (and like was said, for said person to be atomised upon arrival) I think its gonna be a mad rush to join allied doy factions. Or if its available the majority of the server to go straight into DoY (saturn im talking)

Omnituens
22-03-04, 00:59
since you wont let me blame L3 or the netcod jernau, can i blame WinXP just for the hell of it?

Eddie
22-03-04, 01:48
This is going stupidly off topic.. but anyways, seeing as more won't hurt (:P):.. how come it took so long to get it stickied?

And I would give it to KK that they are trying their best: and if was a "simple" line of code to fix all lag problems then they would have done it by now? (rhetorical question I know... but bear with me)

My point is.. they're working with existing mistakes/limitations in the DB. Working around them best they can.. until they have the resources to fix the whole thing. Wiping the DB is an absolute no-no.. so they have to work around it. It's like anything to do with computers having to put up with existing mistakes/limitaions/standards... such as the 640Kb limit imposed on memory. Which was "overcome" with extended memory, etc. (bad example probably.. but I couldn't think of anything else at this moment in time :P)

Eddie

jernau
22-03-04, 03:57
since you wont let me blame L3 or the netcod jernau, can i blame WinXP just for the hell of it?

hehe - yeah OK ;).

Shujin
22-03-04, 03:59
hehe - yeah OK ;). your not supposed to give in!... Omahgawd!

Crackitakk
22-03-04, 06:47
so good.....everything is gonna be op wars now....thats what i think

El Barto
22-03-04, 10:30
Times like this there is only one thing to say, SEX

Skinfitz
22-03-04, 10:44
I notice that cigarettes are going to be included in BDoY. Personally I think this just glamourises smoking further and exposes it to minors which is a Bad Thing.

It should be implemented as a type of skill that increases with the more you smoke. The higher the skill, the lower your AGL, HLT, STA and ATH become.

At least this will be realistic and will serve to illustrate that no, smoking is not big and it's not clever and it is NOT good for you.

Archeus
22-03-04, 11:32
Originally posted by Skinfitz
I notice that cigarettes are going to be included in BDoY. Personally I think this just glamourises smoking further and exposes it to minors which is a Bad Thing.

Well they felt they had got prostitution, murder, drinking down fine, but left out ciggies.

Have ciggies improve weapons lore but lower health/stamina

Scikar
22-03-04, 11:40
Cigarettes are wanted to enhance the cyberpunk atmosphere. I don't really think there's a problem in terms of glamourising them in minors' eyes. I'd say it's far less influential than peer pressure.

We have strippers and prostitutes in Pepper Park, is there a problem with people treating all women in this way as a result of playing this game?

We shoot holy hell out of each other every time we play. Does this make anyone feel like running out with the biggest gun they can find and shooting people who are red to them out in the street?

We have drugs and alcohol, the drugs are seen as almost essential by some and as a useful tool to others, do you think this really encourages people to take drugs IRL?

I don't think it's a problem. NC is rated anyway so people young enough to be influenced by this kind of thing shouldn't really be playing. But the same is true of any game. If playing a violent game makes you want to go out and shoot people IRL, you shouldn't really be playing games, and you shouldn't really be free to walk the streets either.

applejuice
22-03-04, 11:41
Originally posted by Skinfitz

It should be implemented as a type of skill that increases with the more you smoke. The higher the skill, the lower your AGL, HLT, STA and ATH become.

At least this will be realistic and will serve to illustrate that no, smoking is not big and it's not clever and it is NOT good for you.

this game isnt meant to be played by minors ... if they wonna play it and use mommy's or daddy's visa ok then ... but dont go change the game cause "minors" might get their wee mind polluted by the big bad grown up world :)

as said before: drugs are implemented, prostitution, murder is an everydays business ... and smoking is bad ??

and giving lower ath, agl etc ... that wont prove anything to a minor about the hazards of smoking ...

its not that when ya smoke ingame ya also smoke irl ok ... not cause youre a drug-a-holic ingame that ya use drugs irl ...

playing neocron for 8 to 10 hours nonstop is atleast as 'un-healthy" as smoking a ciggarette.

and i think that every minor in the world knows by know that cigarrets and drugs are bad for youre health :)

ya wont get lungcancer by smoking a cigarette ingame :)

Scikar
22-03-04, 11:45
Actually that's another point. Freedom in games like this lets you do things in the safe environment of a game that you can't in real life, like GTA, wargames, etc. Think of cigarettes the same way. :)

Oh and please don't make the penalties too serious, and add cigars. I wanna do all my duels with a big fat cigar smoking away. :p

jernau
22-03-04, 12:08
Originally posted by applejuice
playing neocron for 8 to 10 hours nonstop is atleast as 'un-healthy" as smoking a ciggarette.

:lol:
No.

IMO a small short-lived HLT or END penalty for smoking would be a cool feature.

garyu69
22-03-04, 12:32
Its all looking rather sexy.

Skinfitz
22-03-04, 13:32
Originally posted by applejuice
and giving lower ath, agl etc ... that wont prove anything to a minor about the hazards of smoking ...
I disagree. Give someone a hit to their stats and you will see an amazing aversion to cigarettes.

Imagine is there was never a SL hit or faction loss for PKers. Do you think the game would be playable? There must be consequences for actions.

Crackitakk
22-03-04, 13:41
neocron is a really adult game, u know the thing that sez "experience may change online" yeah that means that its an adult game, with people talking about perverted things, swearing, whatnot....no parent should let there 'little' kids play this game

MrChumble
22-03-04, 13:48
I got the Q&A linked on bluesnews for a bit of added exposure :)

Gonna go try pimping on some other sites now I'm flush with success :D

Iorghe
22-03-04, 16:17

no

edit:
they won't directly, they can sneak in, but FA will be red to City admin and friends

same goes for CM (but the other way around, meaning cm is red to Twilight and friends)

for further things on faction relations read the article :p

ghandisfury
22-03-04, 16:22
NO you don't know, or no they won't?

INFERNO22
22-03-04, 16:24
Will the CM's Be able to enter DOY and NC?

Nightbrother
22-03-04, 16:27
Originally posted by ghandisfury
NO you don't know, or no they won't?

I think he means that no one knows yet, i.e. it hasn't been decided finally yet?

Jest
22-03-04, 17:36
Seriously if BD ends up allying with TS that will be seriously ********. Man this sucks. :mad:

ezza
22-03-04, 17:39
Originally posted by Jest
Seriously if BD ends up allying with TS that will be seriously ********. Man this sucks. :mad: yup, i aint BD atm but i still concider it my faction, and i aint happy at the prospectof them being allied with either TS or TG or FA for that matter.

it just sounds like its going to be 2 sides all pro like each other all anti like each other, so basically rendering the factions pointless beyond this 2 sided war

jernau
22-03-04, 18:54
Originally posted by Crackitakk
u know the thing that sez "experience may change online"

Que?

@Iorghe - That's really dumb IMO. It makes less than zero sense in terms of story, balance or the player's wishes.

Can someone from KK please arrange some kind of formal explanation (and preferably a moderated discussion) about these fundamental changes to the political system. It's in your interest to get this right and ignoring the players over a matter as immense as this could make or break this game for a lot of the players as well as for KK.

Kasumi
22-03-04, 19:10
Originally posted by Iorghe
no

edit:
they won't directly, they can sneak in, but FA will be red to City admin and friends

same goes for CM (but the other way around, meaning cm is red to Twilight and friends)

for further things on faction relations read the article :p

This is bad idea!!! Citymercs should stay neutral to ALMOST EVERYONE!! Why make them mercenaries than?? :( Tech Haven should be neutral to almost everyone too! They just want to do research.. :)

MrChumble
22-03-04, 19:27
Grrrrrrrrr I heard that the Mercs were actually going to be properly neutral to both sides with DoY and could go into both cities. If that's not true then the last reason to stay in CM on pluto just vanished :mad:

Does this mean the CM base is going to become another large hackable outpost, TH style?

Kasumi
22-03-04, 19:30
Grrrrrrrrr I heard that the Mercs were actually going to be properly neutral to both sides with DoY and could go into both cities. If that's not true then the last reason to stay in CM on pluto just vanished :mad:

Does this mean the CM base is going to become another large hackable outpost, TH style?

I have to agree them being able to enter both places was one of the few reasons for me to stay as City merc now I almost have no reason to stay as city merc!:( I guess I play a DOY faction when BDOY is released.. :( *cries*

Strych9
22-03-04, 20:27
Originally posted by ezza
yup, i aint BD atm but i still concider it my faction, and i aint happy at the prospectof them being allied with either TS or TG or FA for that matter.

it just sounds like its going to be 2 sides all pro like each other all anti like each other, so basically rendering the factions pointless beyond this 2 sided war Yes, BD will be EITHER allied or neutral with TS, TG, etc.

But just like before, when many people assumed that BD would stay enemy to almost everyone, the same mistake is being made again.

NOW people are assuming that the same exact SL and FS penalties will be applied with the new political system. We dont know that yet.

So even though TS and TG are now gonna no longer be enemies, that doesnt necessarily mean you wont be able to attack them. Hell, they will be easier to get to now, since all three of you will be in the same city.

But yes, its now about city vs city.

And I think you are incorrect about rendering factions pointless.

1. Epic rewards
2. More freedom to choose a faction. Now, ezza, if you wanna be a big bad PKer you dont have to join BD or TG because of the number of red factions. Now you can ACTUALLY embrace the RP of the faction that you like.
3. Did you miss the part where it said each faction will be in charge of controlling a part of the city? Let me find it for you...
Each zone is being controlled by a different faction and serves a specific purpose. The zone under Tsunami control is the red light district, while Black Dragon regulates the drug market in their zone. Even though all the areas have the same general atmosphere of smuttiness, each zone's unique theme allowed for a diverse and refreshing design.So now maybe as a BD instead of just going after "red = dead" and trying to use that as RP, people can actually have the tools to go after the drug idea that has been somewhat present yet not really implemented the whole time.

Judge
22-03-04, 20:37
I'm in two minds.... I think that Mercs should be Neutral to both DoY and Neocron as should FA.

However it would be really cool to have huge hackable outposts like MB or TH.

Though we have no idea what things are going to happen to the SL, and faction systems so we can't really say wether its a good thing or not.

Zanathos
22-03-04, 20:46
its stupid what there doing IMO anyways.

if it was up to me.

there would be 5 factions.

City Administration (Neocron)
City Mercs (Military Base)
Fallen Angels (Tech Haven)
Twilight Guardian (Canyon)
Dome of York (..... Dome of York)

then protopharm, tangent, black dragon, next, etc... would simply become corporations in the game you could join that would have there faction head quarters located where they should be. It would not be a requirement to join a corporation or organization though. Each organization would keep the enemies that they have (or changed in a way so that it makes sense)

the city mercs would have enemy corporations, but would be neutral to all the cities. (since it is not a requirement to join a corporation)

fallen angels would be exactly the same
twilight guardian would be exactly the same

but about the rest of the interview, to me its pretty much the same thing they have already said except regurgitated again.

n3m
22-03-04, 20:53
I agree, the game currently has too many factions...
though DOY vs NC without the inner city/dome conflicts will already help

jernau
22-03-04, 20:54
If people think the allies-fighting-allies problems are bad on Saturn now (which they are) just wait till this nonsense turns up. EVERYONE will have alts on both sides so they can get all the items/see all the places/etc.

Please KK, don't do this. You are going to turn Neocron into an even lamer version of Planetside. Have a look at their account retention rates and ask yourselves if you think you can survive that considering your start point and marketing budget.

Personally I also hate the idea of TH and TG becoming "big OPs" but that may only annoy a few people, not the vast majority.

Kasumi
22-03-04, 20:55
If people think the allies-fighting-allies problems are bad on Saturn now (which they are) just wait till this nonsense turns up. EVERYONE will have alts on both sides so they can get all the items/see all the places/etc.

Please KK, don't do this. You are going to turn Neocron into an even lamer version of Planetside. Have a look at their account retention rates and ask yourselves if you think you can survive that considering your start point and marketing budget.

Personally I also hate the idea of TH and TG becoming "big OPs" but that may only annoy a few people, not the vast majority.

I love the changes they are doing to the faction system EXCEPT for what thy are doing to CityMercs and Fall ANgels.. :(

Zanathos
22-03-04, 20:58
my idea = teh win

:D

Kasumi
22-03-04, 21:18
Originally posted by Zanathos
my idea = teh win

:D

I like your idea Zanathos! ^_^ Now teach me how to play Project Entropia! :P

Zanathos
22-03-04, 21:20
hey, pm me and we can talk that way.

i wont be playing anytime today however.

i gotta reactivate my account.

even then, i want to start from scratch.

so id actually would apreciate it if you could hold all my characters old stuff until i remade him to something else.

I wanna make a female character :p (plus just simply start from scratch)

at any rate.... pm me :p

Strych9
22-03-04, 21:29
Originally posted by Kasumi
I love the changes they are doing to the faction system EXCEPT for what thy are doing to CityMercs and Fall ANgels.. :( People want true neutral, but its hard to envision how true neutral would work in this game.

If Neutral, would they take ops? Cause in doing so you take away money/glory/prestige from one of the cities, thus basically no longer neutral.

Who would they fight? How can you be a merc squad and take jobs if everyone is neutral to you? (assuming in BDOY it still hurts SL to kill neutral runners).

If you have a faction that is actually neutral to everyone and allowed to roam BOTH cities, that will be THE unchalleneged tradeskill/LE/carebear faction for sure. I would move our tradeskill clan over to that faction without hesitating, since there would be NO downside AT ALL to it.

Zanathos
22-03-04, 21:41
Originally posted by Zanathos
its stupid what there doing IMO anyways.

if it was up to me.

there would be 5 factions.

City Administration (Neocron)
City Mercs (Military Base)
Fallen Angels (Tech Haven)
Twilight Guardian (Canyon)
Dome of York (..... Dome of York)

then protopharm, tangent, black dragon, next, etc... would simply become corporations in the game you could join that would have there faction head quarters located where they should be. It would not be a requirement to join a corporation or organization though. Each organization would keep the enemies that they have (or changed in a way so that it makes sense)

the city mercs would have enemy corporations, but would be neutral to all the cities. (since it is not a requirement to join a corporation)

fallen angels would be exactly the same
twilight guardian would be exactly the same

but about the rest of the interview, to me its pretty much the same thing they have already said except regurgitated again.

my idea would work out pretty well i would think.

i realized a mistake though, but anyways, revision.

there should be the 5 factions that i mentioned.

neocron = enemy to doy and canyon neutral to military base and tech haven

doy = enemy to neocron, neutral to military base, tech haven and canyon

military base = neutral to neocron, doy, tech haven, enemy to canyon (since a good portion of missions for them would probably be against them)

tech haven = neutral to the cities, but enemies to some of the corporations/organizations

canyon = enemy to neocron and military base, neutral to doy and tech haven

inside doy and neocron would be the corporations and organizations you see now

there alliances would change to reflect the changes going to be made in the expansion

this would not nessesarily make the corporation/organizations useless to have.

there should be specific bonus' that apeal to different types of characters for those that join certain corporations/organizations.

there would be no bonus' for being in city admin, doy city mercs, fallen angels or twilight guardian

or, they could also be given bonus' as well.

such as fallen angels people get trade skill bonus'

that way the main factions arent empty either.

the military base, tech haven, twilight guardians would still have corporation/organization factions taht are enemies to them.

such as, city admin themselves are neutral to fallen angels, but for those in tangent, they would have fallen angels as an enemy.

at least this way, the game is still sort of black and white, but theres still some variance.

Kasumi
22-03-04, 21:44
Originally posted by Strych9
People want true neutral, but its hard to envision how true neutral would work in this game.

If Neutral, would they take ops? Cause in doing so you take away money/glory/prestige from one of the cities, thus basically no longer neutral.

Who would they fight? How can you be a merc squad and take jobs if everyone is neutral to you? (assuming in BDOY it still hurts SL to kill neutral runners).

If you have a faction that is actually neutral to everyone and allowed to roam BOTH cities, that will be THE unchalleneged tradeskill/LE/carebear faction for sure. I would move our tradeskill clan over to that faction without hesitating, since there would be NO downside AT ALL to it.

If they rework the SL and sypmathy system to help with this than I see how they could work! City merc and tech haven should be neutral to everyone! But a mission base system be implamented so city mercs can kill people without SL loss.. stuff.. :( I dont know but it not fair City Mercs are no mercenaries in BDOY anymore! :(

jernau
22-03-04, 21:52
People want true neutral, but its hard to envision how true neutral would work in this game.

Well - there's 2 options as I see it:
1) Keep it as it is - they are "red" to some of the NC/DoY factions but "yellow" to CA/DoY. Then copbots/DoY equiv won't shoot them but runners might if they are enemies.
2) Make relations runner-based, not fixed to your faction. The current system is FUBAR IMO mostly because people can't choose their own path. If I'm TG but want to go to plaza one I should be able to run CA missions till I have, for example, >80 FS at which point the guards are green to me and I am "green" to all CA runners and employees. This would fix a lot of other problems too though so KK won't do it.

Strych9
22-03-04, 22:02
Well - there's 2 options as I see it:
1) Keep it as it is - they are "red" to some of the NC/DoY factions but "yellow" to CA/DoY. Then copbots/DoY equiv won't shoot them but runners might if they are enemies. 2) Make relations runner-based, not fixed to your faction. The current system is FUBAR IMO mostly because people can't choose their own path. If I'm TG but want to go to plaza one I should be able to run CA missions till I have, for example, >80 FS at which point the guards are green to me and I am "green" to all CA runners and employees. This would fix a lot of other problems too though so KK won't do it. Only problem I see with that jernau is the idea of a TG runner having >80 CA FS *and* still being a respected member of the TG faction.

If you are TG, you shouldnt want to go into Plaza 1 unless you are going to kill CA runners. Eh?

jernau
22-03-04, 22:08
Only problem I see with that jernau is the idea of a TG runner having >80 CA FS *and* still being a respected member of the TG faction.

If you are TG, you shouldnt want to go into Plaza 1 unless you are going to kill CA runners. Eh?

Well it would allow people to play a whole range of currently impossible roles : double agents, diplomats, traders, smugglers, etc.

All of those roles would want to get into enemy areas and would make efforts (missions) to keep the local authorites off their backs. It would take a lot of effort to get all your factions over 80 and keep them there. I would also expect it to be harder to do missions for factions your faction is enemies with (ie less FS/mission).

The other side to this would be that ganking your own faction would have serious consequences - your own guards will shoot you for a start.

Kasumi
22-03-04, 22:08
Only problem I see with that jernau is the idea of a TG runner having >80 CA FS *and* still being a respected member of the TG faction.

In a RP sense I do not see how his idea is bad! Think of a TG runner spying on CA or the city.. Wouldnt they need goo SL so they dont get shot by the guards?? ^_^ Many things could work with what he suggested! :)

Strych9
22-03-04, 22:37
I am just saying from a RP standpoint, I dont think a faction as ideological as TG would ever permit a runner to have a high CA and TG FS at the same time.

Maybe that could be the benefit of the City Mercs, or some other merc faction- but for factions that have a definite alignment, I would think that you couldnt/shouldnt have ultra high CA and TG at the same time.

High TG FS should make CA distrust you no matter how high your CA FS is (if your runner is TG or CA).

jernau
22-03-04, 23:00
I am just saying from a RP standpoint, I dont think a faction as ideological as TG would ever permit a runner to have a high CA and TG FS at the same time.

Maybe that could be the benefit of the City Mercs, or some other merc faction- but for factions that have a definite alignment, I would think that you couldnt/shouldnt have ultra high CA and TG at the same time.

High TG FS should make CA distrust you no matter how high your CA FS is (if your runner is TG or CA).

But how would TG know how well you get on with CA?

IRL people can travel to enemy countries without their governments knowing, why can't they in NC?

Dribble Joy
23-03-04, 00:58
To make things simpler, all Neocron factions will be officially allied or at least neutral to each other; the same goes for the DOY factions

Technically there is hope for CM and FA yet!!!!!

REVKhA
23-03-04, 01:02
http://vaultmedia.ign.com/rpgvault/image/neocronbdoy011502.jpg

http://vaultmedia.ign.com/rpgvault/image/neocronbdoy011501.jpg

8|

Dribble Joy
23-03-04, 01:06
Yes, that's hacknet... it was the first peek....

Tratos
23-03-04, 01:45
Quick Question: Was this a peek or will we be getting one of the usual "Development Peeks" this week?

Just wondering :)

~Tratos

Invertigo
23-03-04, 02:39
Originally posted by Tratos
Quick Question: Was this a peek or will we be getting one of the usual "Development Peeks" this week?

Just wondering :)

~Tratos

i think they stoped doing that...not sure though

Drake6k
23-03-04, 09:53
IRL people can travel to enemy countries without their governments knowing, why can't they in NC?

Because RL is stupid.

Tratos
23-03-04, 09:57
Originally posted by Drake6k
Because RL is stupid.

lol sig quotage!

~Tratos

INFERNO22
23-03-04, 11:28
Originally posted by Drake6k
Because RL is stupid.

rofl