PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Sleep! ^.^

Kasumi
20-03-04, 21:16
Ok This is a silly question but I have been having troubles sleeping for a very long time now.. Already went to doctor but they just gave me medication to sleep but that stuff made me feel sick! :( So does anyone know a way to help with falling asleep?? Without taking medication?? ^.^

Glok
20-03-04, 21:18
Drink 6 beers.

What? That's what I do. :)

Shadow Dancer
20-03-04, 21:23
I have a similar problem. Except it's that i keep waking up after 4 hours. It's extremely annoying. It's always around 4 hours I wake up, and i'm still sleepy but can't go back to bed.

grrr, I hate sleep problems. :(

Sheba
20-03-04, 21:23
Its called Melatonin and its found in natural health food stores or I found mine in my local grocery store's natural health food section. Normally take one pill about 20-30 minutes before you want to go to sleep, works really well for me.
Also try doing a search for this and your general problem, there may be better suggestions out there!

steweygrrr
20-03-04, 21:24
Try watching unbreakable all the way through....

I still dont know how it ends and I've 'seen' it 8 times :(

Kasumi
20-03-04, 21:32
Its called Melatonin and its found in natural health food stores or I found mine in my local grocery store's natural health food section. Normally take one pill about 20-30 minutes before you want to go to sleep, works really well for me.

Ok Thanks! I will look around for it! But if it isnt sold here in japan and has to be imported to Japan it will cost me 3-4 times as much at a store than it costs you! :( BUt I doubt it does :P

J J
20-03-04, 21:40
roflmfao @ stewey

Sheba
20-03-04, 21:46
http://www.sleeping-tips.com/natural_remedies_sleep.html#melatonin

They also ship internationally (for a fee)
But they mention a few other natural sleep aids "Valerian Root"
for instance that sound's like it may work better then what I suggested!
Oh also WebMD normally has tons of useful info.

sw1tch
20-03-04, 21:56
what I usually do is listen to music, or do exercises when i cant sleep, calms me right down and puts me to sleep, it could be a medical problem or just your daily routine.

Shadow Dancer
20-03-04, 22:05
Wtf is wrong with unbreakable?

That movie was a masterpiece.

"they called me Mr. Glass"

:(

Archeus
20-03-04, 22:12
Originally posted by Sheba
Its called Melatonin and its found in natural health food stores or I found mine in my local grocery store's natural health food section.

It is banned in some countries, and from experience you take it wrong you can totally screw up your body clock. Its great for jet lag though.

Bragvledt
20-03-04, 22:24
Do some (more) sport.
Jogging is very good for this, just don't start with 10 minutes right away if you're not used to it.

Psyco Groupie
20-03-04, 23:02
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
Wtf is wrong with unbreakable?

That movie was a masterpiece.

"they called me Mr. Glass"

:(

Think hes getting at the length .. ie he falls asleep before it ends :)

Vid Gamer
20-03-04, 23:03
Smoke a fat blunt. :lol:

Sheba
20-03-04, 23:47
Originally posted by Archeus
It is banned in some countries, and from experience you take it wrong you can totally screw up your body clock. Its great for jet lag though.

Not sure how it can be taken wrong unless they are altering the dosage or just being stupid and not reading instructions?
Or (god forbid) taking as a suppository? Lol sorry could not resist!

All drugs perscription or natural have different effects or none depending on the person taking it! So its always good to research anything prior to takeing it.
I did include a link for research as I said it works for me, but I only take it when I really need it. And I take the 3mg version not sure what other strength it comes in?

ZoomZoom
21-03-04, 02:26
wank :rolleyes:

ServeX
21-03-04, 02:36
I don't have sleep problems. ;)

SypH
21-03-04, 02:45
I used to have really bad sleeping problems. Now I just smoke a joint or two when I want to go to sleep, and it works:)

Valkyrie
21-03-04, 02:47
Have a wank/fuck before you try to sleep :p

What? :angel:

MrChumble
21-03-04, 02:56
edit out drunken feeling sorry for myself

If you're having a slightly better day trying reading some www.sinfest.net - it's oddly tiring, in a good way.

Delloda
21-03-04, 03:45
diazepam or triazepam....the are muscle relaxants and put you to sleep with no side effects but prolonged and regular continual use may cause addiction. Thea re legal and doctor proscribed.

metalangel
21-03-04, 04:55
Have rampant sex. Because snuggled naked in the arms of your lover after a good hard shag is guaranteed to make you fall happily asleep. :D

Shujin
21-03-04, 04:58
Originally posted by metalangel
Have rampant sex. Because snuggled naked in the arms of your lover after a good hard shag is guaranteed to make you fall happily asleep. :D almost everytime i read somethin from you i think of the song darling nicky...

jernau
21-03-04, 06:44
Originally posted by Glok
Drink 6 beers.

What he said or start dating someone 10 years younger than you (assuming that's not illegal in your case).

The real problem starts when the other half is too tired for "fun" and you are already drunk and you STILL can't sleep. Then it's time to walk the dog and hope it knows how to get home.

Melatonin does nothing for me btw :(.
Valerian Root is pure placebo IMO - I've never met anyone it worked for, I do know people who have beneffited from Melatonin at least.

Unbreakable is a good movie IMO, not great but good. For a dull movie try anything with Kevin Costner in it.

Shujin
21-03-04, 06:46
Originally posted by jernau
What he said or start dating someone 10 years younger than you (assuming that's not illegal in your case).

The real problem starts when the other half is too tired for "fun" and you are already drunk and you STILL can't sleep. Then it's time to walk the dog and hope it knows how to get home.

Melatonin does nothing for me btw :(.
Valerian Root is pure placebo IMO - I've never met anyone it worked for, I do know people who have beneffited from Melatonin at least.

Unbreakable is a good movie IMO, not great but good. For a dull movie try anything with Kevin Costner in it. sick fuck im not gonna date a 10 y/o .... sick sick fuck!

jernau
21-03-04, 06:56
Originally posted by Shujin
sick fuck im not gonna date a 10 y/o .... sick sick fuck!

Well I'm 29 so :p.

Talismar
21-03-04, 07:31
Both Melatonin and Valerian help encourage sleep but neither will make you sleep on their own.

You might also try tea - Chamomile and Catnip are both supposed to help encourage sleep or if you don't like them you might try Celestial Seasonings 'Sleepy Time'. Teas of course will also only encourage it, not force it to happen.

If your a guy, sex will generally make you sleepy. Wanking probably won't.

A glass or two of wine sometimes helps -- getting plastered to the point of passing out is counter productive though.

Other (might be best) thing to do, is see the Dr again and explain that the meds make you sick - there are a number of different prescription sleep aids out there.

Having a bed time 'ritual' can also help ie my sons is take a bath, bed time story and then bed. After a time the pattern gets ingrained and the he knows bath=bed time and winds down.

Marx
21-03-04, 07:33
Setup a decent workout routine.

Lifting + run = sleep.

jernau
21-03-04, 08:02
Originally posted by Talismar
Having a bed time 'ritual' can also help ie my sons is take a bath, bed time story and then bed. After a time the pattern gets ingrained and the he knows bath=bed time and winds down.

This is actually one of the best tips here.

I don't know how long it takes to train the response or if there is something inherent to having a bath but it does work. As with Melatonin, etc. it won't work for everyone or every time but it can help even in extreme cases.

notneo
21-03-04, 08:07
heres a simple solution get a job,work ,come home play neocron,sleep

jernau
21-03-04, 08:14
Originally posted by notneo

Well I was doing :work; eat; cron; goto work.

Then I optimised it by removing work. :D

Kasumi
21-03-04, 10:14
Originally posted by notneo

Hehe I do ALOT more than that in one day.. ^-^

You might also try tea - Chamomile and Catnip are both supposed to help encourage sleep or if you don't like them you might try Celestial Seasonings 'Sleepy Time'. Teas of course will also only encourage it, not force it to happen.

hehe I drink tea quite often it doesnt help with sleeping! :(

Other (might be best) thing to do, is see the Dr again and explain that the meds make you sick - there are a number of different prescription sleep aids out there.

Yes I may have to go talk with my doctor again.. :/

hehe I might be just a bit to old for this to work.. ^_^ This sounds like something for children.. :P

Thanks everyone!!

hehe But I think i found a cure! Watching LineageII update, it made me fall asleep! huhu ^-^

Samhain
21-03-04, 20:55
just don't sleep. it's boring anyway.

Kasumi
21-03-04, 21:08
Originally posted by Samhain
just don't sleep. it's boring anyway.

hehe Really helpful thanks.. ^-^

Sorontar
21-03-04, 21:18
Hot milk is meant to aid sleep , thats what I usually have if I'm struggling to get to sleep.

Hell-demon
21-03-04, 21:54
warm milk...with chloroform!:D

RuButt
21-03-04, 21:58
umm... i know yer problem

first i put a large black plastic bag over my window.
then i started working out, and going out

wasnt hard to sleep!

otherwise ill take a cold shower, or go outside (if its winter) in just my underwear, untill im really cold... then it feels sooooooo good when crawl back to bed, that i always fall asleep!

Darkborg
21-03-04, 22:00
Ok many teas are actually harmfull to your abilities to sleep.

Consider some other options as well.
Sleeping is as much a matter of being tired IE fysiologically as well as mentally. i ahte saying this but hard work might be an idea. and remember when your in bed your resting dont worry about stuff thatll have to wait till morning.

Some times i feel it can be good to have some music running low in the background something like maybe trance. To sorta let you Drift off, and actually drift off is what i mean. I find if i want to sleep i need to get myself into a state where my thought process functions without my direct intervention so to speak. i just let my mind flow through stuff at its own will. Enjoy being in your warm bed and relax why be frustrated when you can relax.

Another way i have found to get me into that mood is with a book and my bed. get a book and read lying down. Close your eyes when you feel like it and so on. Helps me at least.

I had some bad sleep problems when i were younger i got over those by going from "gotta sleep" to "fuck it ill read a cartoon."

Heh i remember a holiday with some of my freinds doing a lan i actually for a period of 20 days went from 24 horu days with an 16/8 patter ( 16 hours up to 8 asleep) to a 24/12 pattern.
That was fun :p actually quite possible when you can go fuck it all to most of society except your comp o_O

Stigmata
21-03-04, 22:06
apparently Rohypnol makes u sleep, it also completly blanks your memory for the entire period u where dosed.

i believe that it can also aid in.....................................oooooo better not go there j/k

Kasumi
21-03-04, 22:07
Originally posted by Darkborg
Ok many teas are actually harmfull to your abilities to sleep.

Consider some other options as well.
Sleeping is as much a matter of being tired IE fysiologically as well as mentally. i ahte saying this but hard work might be an idea. and remember when your in bed your resting dont worry about stuff thatll have to wait till morning.

Some times i feel it can be good to have some music running low in the background something like maybe trance. To sorta let you Drift off, and actually drift off is what i mean. I find if i want to sleep i need to get myself into a state where my thought process functions without my direct intervention so to speak. i just let my mind flow through stuff at its own will. Enjoy being in your warm bed and relax why be frustrated when you can relax.

Another way i have found to get me into that mood is with a book and my bed. get a book and read lying down. Close your eyes when you feel like it and so on. Helps me at least.

I had some bad sleep problems when i were younger i got over those by going from "gotta sleep" to "fuck it ill read a cartoon."

Hmm I will try this! Not sure about the music though! It might bother my boyfriend and keep him up! ^-^

Originally posted by RuButt
then i started working out, and going out

wasnt hard to sleep!

otherwise ill take a cold shower, or go outside (if its winter) in just my underwear, untill im really cold... then it feels sooooooo good when crawl back to bed, that i always fall asleep!

hehe I usually do 2-3 Hours of Kendo most of the week when I can and other types of martial arts.. ^_^ I have more of a mental sleeping problem not physical. I hope that makes since.. ^_^

robdekoning
21-03-04, 22:09
Gloks idea always works... also..More u drink = sooner u fall asleep

Sheba
21-03-04, 23:01
I had one of these done a few years back god it was wonderful!
She massaged everywhere even my hands and fingers.
Prior to going in I had some lower back pain and I was so tense, after no more back pain and sooo relaxed.
Its expensive but its a hour of pure bliss! (almost better then sex)

RuButt
22-03-04, 00:06
ooh, kendo! :D cool... was gonna go for that... but took boxing instead... and im quite happy that i took boxing ;)

anyway, err... just lay down... stare at the roof.... works after a while :p

or like... listen to music... while staring!

Neocrons_coward
22-03-04, 00:10
Originally posted by Kasumi
Ok This is a silly question but I have been having troubles sleeping for a very long time now.. Already went to doctor but they just gave me medication to sleep but that stuff made me feel sick! :( So does anyone know a way to help with falling asleep?? Without taking medication?? ^.^

Try downloading something like celtic bagpipe version of Hymn to the sea which makes u feel tired or it does me when its on repeat and your get sleepy

M

Omnituens
22-03-04, 00:27
2 suggestions:

warm milk with a little bit of honey in it

OR

Nytol, that stuff could knock a rhino out

Dribble Joy
22-03-04, 00:38
OK, this sounds dumb, but a while ago I had a bit of a tea addiction. up to 9 pints a day, 2-3 of which were after 10pm.

It seriously fucked over my body clock, at times I was sleeping every other night.
I missed lectures, lost track of time and it was generally a bit shit.

So don't drink tea before about 9-10. :)

L0KI
22-03-04, 00:53
[edited violation of fourm rules][NO talk of illeagal or explicte items are allowed][freya]

Talismar
22-03-04, 01:10
Yeah it sucks when the brain doesn't shut up.

Nothing I've ever taken has shut it off - at least nothing non-prescription.

Lots I could say, but none of it about non-meds to take an not all of it about insomnia esp since you said the meds make you sick but I won't.

If the tea has tea leaves in it, it won't help (including green tea leaves)

A bedtime routine/ritual has nothing to do with age. Its a matter of training the body and mind. I was using my son as an example because children (not to imply you are one) generally have to learn how to fall asleep on their own.

Lexxuk
22-03-04, 01:36
I aint slept properly since my lung went pop last year, I hate seein the sun rise in the mornin :p

Anyhow...

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/SelfHelp/symptoms/sleepingproblemsinsomnia/n.asp

Is a good questionaire type thing, which for me...

Self care advice: Not everyone needs the same amount of sleep, so do not compare your sleep pattern with anyone else's
Increase physical activity during the day and avoid taking a nap in the daytime
Try doing something relaxing in the evening such as reading a book, or have a soak in the bath. See relaxation exercises (http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/SelfHelp/info/advice/relaxationexercises.asp)
Avoid drinking tea, coffee and alcohol a few hours before bedtime, as they can act as stimulants
Do not go to bed until you feel tired
Make sure the bed and bedroom feel comfortable.
Avoid sugary foods and drink before bedtime, as this causes a temporary rush of energy.
If you are still worried, call NHS Direct

I've not tried any of them, I like watchin bubblegum crisis at 6am or whatever on Sci-Fi channel :p

Darkborg
22-03-04, 02:39
well another thing hehe. and this comes from me being fucked some times.
Just Nm mind it and read that book through or watch that movie or whatever.
Then get up and do your normal day with work and everything Mind your going to feel not so dandy and your performance is going to be shiite and then when you finally reach bedtime. youre hopefully going to get some hehe whatever you do just dont go focusing on it. All it really is is a time for relaxation just feel good and warm.

Also another thing. Im not in total accordance with this but hey it might work for you.
Dont study or work stuff like that thats serious in your bed, Its based around your mind needing to go "Bed uhhhm that means sleep yaaawn" not "Bed uuuhm WORK WEEE need more energy then" sex can be the exception since that has a tendency to tire you in itself. and snuggling up for the night with the person you love isnt that bad sleep or not;)

Oh and that weed thing i dont really agree just makes you feel kinda weird. Also it probably burns more braincells than a big day in the city :p

jernau
22-03-04, 04:10
Originally posted by Darkborg
Heh i remember a holiday with some of my freinds doing a lan i actually for a period of 20 days went from 24 horu days with an 16/8 patter ( 16 hours up to 8 asleep) to a 24/12 pattern.
That was fun :p actually quite possible when you can go fuck it all to most of society except your comp o_O

That's my norm. I have to fight to fit a 24hour day, in fact a lot of the time it's easier for me to fit a 48-hour cycle.

Whoever mentioned musc - that can help. Actually any kind of low level white-noise helps a bit IME.

LiL T
22-03-04, 04:41
Top tips

Change your bed sheets and pillow

Move your bed around to face another way

Open window for fresh air

Drink a good amount of water and have something to eat makes you sleepy

Exercise go for a run like 6 miles and take a nice long shower allways made me sleepy in the army :)

Don't think about it just goto sleep thinking about no being able to sleep makes it worse

Don't drink beer or smoke weed this will drain your body and make you feel like crap

hope any of these help moving bed around will help trust me you will feel it instantly don't know why it works it just does

Babes
22-03-04, 12:40
I used to and still do have trouble sleeping.

Just...dont Drink Coffee / Tea after 6:00pm

And if you mind keeps going over and over the days events : Read a Novel someting completely different. Ive read 100's of books at bedtime...to switch off so to speak.

Im currently working through all Tom Clancy's Netforce novels atm.

Scikar
22-03-04, 12:44
I generally just work on the 'don't go to sleep until you feel tired' idea. Unfortunately that often means I don't go to bed until the early hours of the morning.

I wish days were 36 hours long. :p

.Cyl0n
22-03-04, 12:53
[edited violation of fourm rules][freya] and read a good book.

Original monk
22-03-04, 13:03
same prob here: sleeping problems ... used every possible medication, went to do tests in the hospital etc ... i sleep in a sub-coma :/

do not use medication :/ they suck: all zepams (loramet, valium, benzo's in general) suck ... valerian sucks if its a real serieus problem ... not even talking about rohypnol, dipiperon and more of that poison that makes you look/feel like a zombie in the morning after ...

only thing that helped with my problem is to create a sleepingpattern ... this isnt easy and takes a loong time: it basically means that ya gotta do the same actions everytime every evening before ya go to sleep: its diffrent with every person ...

with me its: i play computer .. and hour before i go to sleep i put it off and go to the bathroom brush my teeth etc .. i go to the kitchen and make sumthing small to eat and put it next to my bed .. same with sumthing to drink ... after that i watch some television and eat ... when i put of the tele i read for another few minutes in a book or magazine and then im ready top sleep:

every evening i do the same rituel ... same order .. around the same time ...

altough i must say that i also smoke a joint/stickie right before i go to bed ... actually i smoke the whole evening before that :P and this can also make a small diffrence :)

thats the onlything that helped for me after about 2-3 years of sleeping 2 hours a day and becomming a monster cause of the lack of sleep: i got extremely aggresive after a while ya see :/

El_MUERkO
22-03-04, 13:23
I've had problems with sleeping in the past, heres a few things that work for me.

Block out any blinking lights in your room including power lights on tv's and videos.

Dont try sleep in pitch black your senses heighten to fill in the lack of sight which only keeps you more awake, I use dark curtains but not ones that totally block lights, this allows some light from street lights to filter in.

Go to bed an hour before you need to goto sleep so you can relax.

Find a good radio station and set the volume on your radio really low, your ears will adjust to the low volume after a while and you'll here it clearly but your head can dismiss it easily when it decides its time to nod off.

Read. I always read a book for about a half hour in bed before I goto sleep, its relaxing and allows your brain to slow down, I use a small reading lamp which is far more comfortable on the eyes the your room lamp.

Deicide
22-03-04, 13:50
Try Baldrian...

or have sex (helps me a lot :cool: )

JackScratch
22-03-04, 14:33
I just became your best friend. Your rythem is messed up and you need to fix it. Sleep is all about habits, you need to develope some good ones. You need a quiet place, completely free of light to sleep. You need a time you want to go to sleep, you need a relaxing activity for the 1/2 to 1 hour before you go to sleep.

This wont work right away, but it will stick better for the long haul, and involves no chemicals (melitonin wont work unless you are in the dark, BTW. other than that it is helpful) every night, a little before the time you need to go to sleep, go to your bedromm and read something, boreing is good, but a good book is OK as well. It is esential that you be relaxed and that you room be free of lightsources when you sleep. When you have read for a while and it is time for you to go to sleep, turn off your reaading light and lay down. If you are not falling asleep, continue to lie there no matter how long it takes to get to sleep. This will not work imediately, we are putting you back on a schedule, and it takes yuor mind and body a while to get them message. Continue this ritual consistantly, paying careful attention to the times you start to read and when you turn out the lights for sleep, the more consistant these rituals are, the better. Also, if you do use melitonin, take it about an hour before you start your reading. You should begin to see good result is about 2 weeks.

Nightbrother
22-03-04, 14:40
Originally posted by Deicide
Try Baldrian...

or have sex (helps me a lot :cool: )

Way cool, someone else knows baldrian root. Yeah, drink tea made from baldrian (but use other herbs, camomile and lavender are two examples, also, cause alone baldrian tastes utterly horrible ;)), and put a bit of honey in the tea also, to sweeten it. There are baldrian pills also, but the tea works best for me.

Drinking a beer or two (don't let this become a habit to make you relax though... heh), walking in fresh air.

Generally exercise > insomnia. Just don't exercise too late in the day, cause if you do, your heart rate might not slow down enough for you to be able to relax.

Deicide
22-03-04, 14:47
Originally posted by Nightbrother
Way cool, someone else knows baldrian root. Yeah, drink tea made from baldrian (but use other herbs, camomile and lavender are two examples, also, cause alone baldrian tastes utterly horrible ;)), and put a bit of honey in the tea also, to sweeten it. There are baldrian pills also, but the tea works best for me.

Drinking a beer or two (don't let this become a habit to make you relax though... heh), walking in fresh air.

Generally exercise > insomnia. Just don't exercise too late in the day, cause if you do, your heart rate might not slow down enough for you to be able to relax.

and i`d like to point out that baldrian is 100% legal :>

funkeymonkey
22-03-04, 16:35
Whats with all this baldrian shit - ive never heard of it? I ave probs kipping sometimes (usualy when i cant kip i get up and hunt some more wbs). Ive found a few bongs of pure (dont make baccy mixes) white widow sort me out a treat.