PDA

View Full Version : [OT] The Palladium Chip

Judge
20-03-04, 19:51
I heard alot about this project a few years ago and was a bit disturbed by it. Then over the past years I haven't really heard anything about it, but now that I remember it I have done some research into what Microsoft is planning for its next bid at playing god.

Here are links to some good articles concerning Palldium:

The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/25843.html)

Geek.com (http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2002june/gee20020624015112.htm)

What do you guys think? My opinions are pretty much the same as The Register article writer's.

Possessed
20-03-04, 20:02
If only you could run NC on linux :(

*sigh*

Next thing will be Microsoft claiming that they own the internet and everyone who uses it needs to pay them royalties....

Psyco Groupie
20-03-04, 20:05
Originally posted by Possessed
If only you could run NC on linux :(

*sigh*

Next thing will be Microsoft claiming that they own the internet and everyone who uses it needs to pay them royalties....

never gonna happen .. but arpanet or tim berners lee could ask for royalties

Possessed
20-03-04, 20:08
I know it'll never happen... but it just seems that Microsoft are going for a complete stranglehold on the net....

Kasumi
20-03-04, 20:18
Microsoft is stupid!!! :o

Omnituens
20-03-04, 20:51
yeah i heard about that

Go straight to jail, do not pass Go, do not collect $220.

J. Folsom
20-03-04, 20:57
If it ever get's released, I wonder long it'd take for someone to disable all the monitoring parts.

My bet is on about three months before it's actually released. ;)

subsys
20-03-04, 21:14
i dont understand how microsoft manage to survive tbh, everything says that they should have died out a long time ago but somehow theyre not only still around but they are sitting (at least somewhere close to) on top of the food chain. and how have they got there by playing on peoples stupidity and their lack of interest/ability in changing to somthing new that doesnt hold there hand the whole way.

viva la open source, up the tux

now if only i could practice what i preach :)

Judge
20-03-04, 23:01
I can't see Microsoft not being sued over this one.... I mean they will be controlling what programs are allowed to run in millions of computers.... you think they won't use that to their advantage? Man, they will fuck everyone who doesn't bend over backwards to do what they want.

NS_CHROME54
20-03-04, 23:48
bah reading this article, the guy says that microsoft is responsible for all the problems, which is simply not true.

i know you all say "well, linux never gets these kinds of attacks!" but when you look at it, why would anyone want to make a virus for linux? many more people use windows, so if you want to create mass internet havoc, just go open up your favourite development environment and make something for windows.

if people were to truly look at linux and try to exploit it the way people exploit and attack windows, i bet it would be just as vulnerable, if not more, than windows.

blame microsoft? no, blame the assholes who make viruses just for the hell of it. with a product the size and complexity of windows, finding a vulnerability wouldn't be extraordinarily hard.

giga191
21-03-04, 00:09
i bet microsoft deliberately makes faults in their operating systems so that they have something to fix in the next version of the operating system which introduces a new problem etc. :rolleyes:

Judge
21-03-04, 00:16
But that is beyond the point Chrome. The point is that Microsucks is touting this new Palladium chip as the savior to all the security holes in its programs, where they should just fix the damn programs.

Big difference between linux and Microsoft: Linux is free. Who cares if Linux has more security holes.... if you know what you are doing you can fix the security holes yourself, and they aren't trying to shove this bullshit down our throats.

Archeus
21-03-04, 00:27
Originally posted by NS_CHROME54
if people were to truly look at linux and try to exploit it the way people exploit and attack windows, i bet it would be just as vulnerable, if not more, than windows.

Actually Linux gets attacks just as much as Windows however some key important points.

- You don't have to run as admin/root access to run your programs which means if you do get infected it seriously limits the attack on what it can do. Tried doing the same in windows? It's a serious pain in the backside to get stuff to run.

- If an exploit is found it is normally fixed within hours, where as with windows MS have been sitting on exploits for close to a year that give people full access to your machine.

- If you were to buy the commercial package of Linux vs Windows, you get much better support/frequent upgrades for a hell of a lot cheaper then windows.

Omnituens
21-03-04, 01:13
i heard that the original design for this chip prevented any OS but Windows to run on the system :eek:

Scikar
21-03-04, 01:37
Originally posted by Omnituens
i heard that the original design for this chip prevented any OS but Windows to run on the system :eek:

It probably still does. MS will deny it though, and then it will strangely happen by accident. Or more likely, they will do what they have done with every other MS product. The chip will require certain features to be available. MS won't have direct patent on these, but they'll be the only ones who know what they are, and Windows will be the only OS supporting them properly in order to get the chip to work. When someone gets the same functions running under Linux, MS will change them again on the grounds of security, and again, not bother telling anyone.

icarium
21-03-04, 02:07
"Digital Rights Management: you can control who can read, forward, and save your e-mails,etc., and conversely, the RIAA/MPAA/etc. can control content that it sends/sells to you"

oh look its the media companies again. instead of embracing new technology and offering services selling their music and videos, they try and terrorise and control us into paying too much money for their goods, hooray.

looks like the RIAA MPAA etc havent learned anything from the success of itunes. i actually dont buy copy protected CDs because i cant put them on my ipod. how stupid can one industry get?

tbh if everyone sticks with older windows versions what does it matter. my only concern is upgrading then finding out my new CPU is controlling what i can and cant listen to or watch. am also curious as to why AMD and Intel have signed up for it, you would have thought the palladium chip gains them as companies nothing but problems integrating it into CPU's. i can only assume MS bunged them a big brown envelope full of cash. ALLEGEDLY 8|