PDA

View Full Version : what KK [really] needs to do in BDoY

dem0n
19-03-04, 13:48
I know we all have our wishes and expectations, but what I'd finaly want to see in BDoY is a better NC homepage.

Right now I'm pretty much disgusted at the phpNuke site and at the vBulletin forum.

NC really needs a more personalized webpage, not some tables with background chrome bars.

As for the forum I saw how other MMOs managed to implement the forum [NC is my fav game before you ask], that the forum was within the actual webpage [and we all know phpvB cannot be implemented/included in a webpage, that it has it's own life and that in 90% of the cases (like in NC) it, it's visuals do not reflect NC at all or it's webpage. Other sites have managed to include the avatar with which the user plays ingame within the forum, it also allows that people without a game account can create an account, but in case they do have a ingame account they can choose which of their ingame player characters portrait and data will be included.

I know that the priority in BDoY should be the ingame content, but as seeing that NC will grow I think it's imperative that a new site should be made, and that the current website by it's content, information and looks doesn't at all reflect the quality of the actual game, and websites can have a major impact on future users.

Jesterthegreat
19-03-04, 13:52
O_o

i like the website and the forums...

why change it, its not broken O_o

there is no problem with it as it is now :)

and i think these "waht kk needs to do" threads have gotta stop... you have your opinion of course... but i wish people would stop tellin kk that this must be done, no matter what the community / devs / gm's think...

not a personal attack at you, im not saying you think your better than devs / community etc... but these threads do seem to imply that the posters think they know better than KK and they know the community supports them, which usually isnt the case :)

dem0n
19-03-04, 13:55
I'm just saying that KK knows better than this phpnuke bs and vbulletin bs.

these things destroy any creativity. have you ever tried phpnuke? it's just wrong. kk can do much better and thats exactly what they need to do.

Dade Murphey
19-03-04, 13:56
this is probably one of the better game forums I've been on...very easy to navigate...and what's wrong with the website...seems to work quite nicely...and it's also rather easy to get around...I agree with jester...why "fix" something that's not broken?

dem0n
19-03-04, 14:02
I'm not saying the site is broke or unfunctional I'm just saying this site isn't KK's. for far as I can say I saw fan sites look better than NC's site and thats just wrong that a company didn't have time to create something of their own but rather downloaded PHP nuke and made a simple theme... same goes for vBulletin. I don't know if you know what phpNuke or vB is, and if you do aren't you annoyed that KK just didn't create something of their own?

Jesterthegreat
19-03-04, 14:04
I'm sure if the devs spent time on it (assuming the Dev's actually make websites) they could improve it. but as was said, its easy to navigate and has everything needed.

ok i hated getting into the forum until i realised that all i had to do was type www.neocron.com/foum (or now forum.neocron.com (http://forum.neocron.com) too)

other than that i think its well setout and looks good

maybe its just me goin insane?

athon
19-03-04, 14:06
I would much rather see the devs spending their time on the game than the website and forums. Both website and forums work perfectly fine. The game on the other hand is a different matter =/

Athon Solo

dem0n
19-03-04, 14:15
WEB DESIGNER
Dept. Online Services

Job Description

Maintain the creative standards of Reakktor Media. Implement the creative concept under the supervision of the Art Director and Producer. Design additional elements when necessary. Combine graphics and text into html within technical guidelines. Participate in the growth of the creative department

Job Requirements

1 year of work experience required. Fluent with PC Windows platform, Photoshop, Flash, Illustrator, Quark, HTML skills (Dreamweaver as well as the ability to hard code if necessary), Java script experience required. Flash, After Effects, Premiere, Director, Video capturing and compression experience.

I think my 4 year old sister could maintain a website like NC, since it's just point 'n click with phpnuke. an extra money income would be great.

Actualy what I wanted to stress out is that DEVs do not make websites, and that theyr arent [if they are] payed to do that. Is the best thing KKs Dept. Online Services could come up with just a simple NC theme for the phpNuke system?

Also making a new website won't mean that Nid would stop working on BDoY, it's not his field, there is a team of people sitting on their asses when they could make something better than this.

this website and the forum isn't original, maybe you don't find this important but it's crucial.

athon
19-03-04, 14:19
Originally posted by dem0n
WEB DESIGNER
Dept. Online Services

Job Description

Maintain the creative standards of Reakktor Media. Implement the creative concept under the supervision of the Art Director and Producer. Design additional elements when necessary. Combine graphics and text into html within technical guidelines. Participate in the growth of the creative department

Job Requirements

1 year of work experience required. Fluent with PC Windows platform, Photoshop, Flash, Illustrator, Quark, HTML skills (Dreamweaver as well as the ability to hard code if necessary), Java script experience required. Flash, After Effects, Premiere, Director, Video capturing and compression experience.

I think my 4 year old sister could maintain a website like NC, since it's just point 'n click with phpnuke. an extra money income would be great.

You would need Photoshop, Flash, Illustrator AND Quark why?

Some skills in server side scripting would also be useful.

You NEED javascript why? It's perfectly possible to make sites without using a single line of Javascript.

Athon Solo

sanityislost
19-03-04, 14:20
I know we all have our wishes and expectations, but what I'd finaly want to see in BDoY is a better NC homepage.

Right now I'm pretty much disgusted at the phpNuke site and at the vBulletin forum.

NC really needs a more personalized webpage, not some tables with background chrome bars.

As for the forum I saw how other MMOs managed to implement the forum [NC is my fav game before you ask], that the forum was within the actual webpage [and we all know phpvB cannot be implemented/included in a webpage, that it has it's own life and that in 90% of the cases (like in NC) it, it's visuals do not reflect NC at all or it's webpage. Other sites have managed to include the avatar with which the user plays ingame within the forum, it also allows that people without a game account can create an account, but in case they do have a ingame account they can choose which of their ingame player characters portrait and data will be included.

I know that the priority in BDoY should be the ingame content, but as seeing that NC will grow I think it's imperative that a new site should be made, and that the current website by it's content, information and looks doesn't at all reflect the quality of the actual game, and websites can have a major impact on future users.

No they dont....its chilled the way it is

dem0n
19-03-04, 14:21
thats exactly what I'm trying to say. you just need a server with php and mysql and whoohoo, you have a site like KKs along with another zillon phpNuke sites on the internet, yAy no knowledge needed.

Jesterthegreat
19-03-04, 14:27
who cares?

why make extra work when half the community will only maon that it is:

a) a waste of time

b) too complecated

c) too carebear

d) cuases downtime on current forum / site

e) something new to get to grips with

you will never make it how everyone wants it.

i ardly think that redesigning the website is or should be one of KK's priorities right now O_o

Psyco Groupie
19-03-04, 14:28
Lets see your website then dem0n

vb are the best forums going, as for phpnuke .. it may be layout like that but reading thru the source it looks like they made it.

dem0n
19-03-04, 14:34
http://digitaldem0n.tk

and atleast I did it myself and commented any resources I have used which werent mine [including the original, now edited, pictures]

I don't see KK giving any support to phpNuke, and because some of you like jesterthegreat have no idea what the hell is this phpNuke I'm talking about is your problem.

KK pays it's Dept. of Online Services section WebDesign and for so on I haven't see them do anything.

I'm a freelancer designer by hobby and have self educated myself, but it's annoying when you see people getting paid for a living to do something they've trained for and this is all they can come up with.

Again I stress out because of the Dept. of Online Services could get off their asses and make a WebSite would NOT AFFECT THE PRODUCTION OF BDoY AS A GAME.

ITS APPLES AND ORANGES - now I hope I made it colorfull enough for you to understand jester.

Glok
19-03-04, 14:40
What's wrong with the website and forums again? Enlighten me. :confused:

Doesn't matter, KK already said they will be revamping the main page and possibly the forums with BDoY, so shut up.

Psyco Groupie
19-03-04, 14:44
wow thats such an amazing site, you can barely read it and it doesnt work with netscape ... ownage

dem0n
19-03-04, 14:47
I like it dark and I stated it doesn't work with netscape.

Clownst0pper
19-03-04, 14:55
Very nice site Dem0n, very nice.

And the fact u love theif 2 earns u lots of brownie points :D

Neocron's sight could do with a face lift but i like the ease of the forums

Jesterthegreat
19-03-04, 15:03
http://digitaldem0n.tk

and atleast I did it myself and commented any resources I have used which werent mine [including the original, now edited, pictures]

I don't see KK giving any support to phpNuke, and because some of you like jesterthegreat have no idea what the hell is this phpNuke I'm talking about is your problem.

KK pays it's Dept. of Online Services section WebDesign and for so on I haven't see them do anything.

I'm a freelancer designer by hobby and have self educated myself, but it's annoying when you see people getting paid for a living to do something they've trained for and this is all they can come up with.

Again I stress out because of the Dept. of Online Services could get off their asses and make a WebSite would NOT AFFECT THE PRODUCTION OF BDoY AS A GAME.

ITS APPLES AND ORANGES - now I hope I made it colorfull enough for you to understand jester.

hard to read? its black on black and you cant even click and drag to select text to read it easier O_o

you know whast? your right... i dont know or care what phpNUKE is. im not a web designer. I am an ICT / Network Technician. i was tempted to go into programing / web site design... but i decided an Installing and Support course would be a better starting point (a more general qualification).

so.. .to recap... i have no idea how to make a web site, nor the best format to do it in.

however just cos you think you can do it better... doesnt mean it should be done O_o

ill tell ya what, you write us a new NC website, get it all up for preview, then we can show kk and let them decide?

endofrantplz?

kthxbye

dem0n
19-03-04, 18:57
this isn't rant it just got a little bit out of hand.

k I'll tell you what php nuke is, if your interested visit http://www.phpnuke.org for it.

it's basicly a fully functional already completed web portal with 1000's of modules and 1000's of graphic solutions. it involves no brainwork, you just need to understand english and there you go. there was a time when in certin communities having a html site just became old, so we all had to port to dynamic webpages. some of us studied and self educated ourselves to make functional dynamic webpages, while others showed education the middle finger and downloaded phpnuke and made all these fancy websites etc., and the most ironic thing is that they got all the community credit for someone elses work.

we who try to make our own things even run into some security issues, like the sql injection, leading to listing of all your tables and look at that some guy has all the logins and pwds now. we even encounter some troubles with java, some people forward you to their site, log the previous sites cookie, and return you back. to the average user that doesn't mean anything but it does mean someone has your login and password, comes back and rants some thing with your name on it... or even get the admin login/pwd and mess up your site.

well those guys which ported to phpnuke don't even have to know all this security mumbo jumbo... they got phpnuke which has been worked on for several years now, and so has vBulletin.

now if anyone missunderstood the meaning of this post, it wasn't to say that the current website is disfunctional, it's because it's not original... not saying that I can make a better site but that KK can make a better site. for me, neocron.com doesn't reflect the game at all, pardon me if I'm wrong. the only thing original about neocron.com is the header, all the rest is predefined tables, with a different background and bar image. all php nuke sites look alike, and if you've visited about 100 shitty php nuke sites you'd agree.

Kasumi
19-03-04, 19:11

I agree with this very much! I am not the best at webpage design but I do think Reakktor could make a much better site that reflect neocron which it does not do now! It might be easy to nevigate(?) and stuff but it just doesnt fit "neocron". JuST BECAUSE sothing is not broken doesnt mean it shouldnt be improved! ^.^

Saza
19-03-04, 19:12
Dem0n dude, I think I speak for the general community when I say (lemme see how can I put this nicely.... wait.... I cant) - stfu!

Id rather see amazing features within THE GAME of BDoY, for the simple reason thats its not the friggin website I play this game for, its the game! I think the Neocron site is absolutetly fine as it is, and the forums have always been easy to navigate. Do you really think that having an "uber flash site" with super cool flashing effects is really gonna make a difference? Hell no.

And stop with the "KK you need to do this", perhaps wed be a bit more sympathetic if you said "I want to see this happen".

Mirco
19-03-04, 19:52
One thing that bugs me is the boasting comment on the top right of www.neocron.com. For one I cant seem to find any sites thats called xboxweb.com. The one answer I got from google that found a site called www.xboxweb.com just gave me a server is unavailable message. And why use a boasting comment from a site that is clearly xbox related? It seems pretty desperate to me.

Psyco Groupie
19-03-04, 19:55
the website and forums just need the new logo thats all

Glok
19-03-04, 19:56
What new logo?

dem0n
20-03-04, 00:24
Id rather see amazing features within THE GAME of BDoY

*sigh* visit KK's site they have a team on webdesign which don't work on the actual game and it wouldn't hurt them to do something new... you think BDoY is going to get delayed 3 months if a team which has nothing to do with the game make a new more reflective and original site?... go play NC this is something clearly you don't have insight into.

-FN-
20-03-04, 00:45
I'm just saying that KK knows better than this phpnuke bs and vbulletin bs.

I would see dozens of man hours go to NC & DoY Coding than website work. The sites themselves are fine, but could use more features to completely immerse us NC crackheads into the game... active world maps on the website that reflect who owns what OPs... a Plaza 1 "webcam" stuff like that.

Invertigo
20-03-04, 00:46
i happen to think this is one of the best forums out of all the MMO games ive palyed...like planetside and SWG

dem0n
20-03-04, 03:39
did you see the eve-online forum? vBulletins problem in MMOs site is that it can't, for instace, draw your alts data and include it [portrait, etc.]. KK could do this by making their own forum.

NS_CHROME54
20-03-04, 06:29
while i think the nc forums are fine the way they are (c'mon, they're simple, they're not flashy, they don't overdo it graphics wise (http://forum.fomk.com/)... they aint broken and the style is nice. leave em alone.

but i DO agree we need a new design for the main page.

Clicky (http://www.knowreasonrock.com)

atm this is the only piece of my work i have online. it's for my band. ALL HAND-CODED, no dreamweaver, no crap like that. dreamweaver can die. i wrote the php myself. fairly simple operation, calls a module (a text file essentially) from another folder, and sticks its contents into the main layout. i also made the image viewer thingy myself (pictures page) using php and javascript...

javascript is almost completely unpractical in this day and age, but i can do it nicely if need be.

what can i say, i'm pretty good at it, and i enjoy it, and i can't get any legal contract work because i'm a minor. government motherfuckers...

Lanigav
20-03-04, 07:05
I think the site and forums are just peachy as is.

Though the forums could use an upgrade to VB 3.0.

Hippieman
20-03-04, 07:28
For the main neocron site. Meh its a little old and probably just needs a little facelift for BDOY and thats it, include a couple new things like FN said and voila!

As for the forums. I hate other MMORPG's forums, their ugly and arent pleasing to the eye. These forums arent the flashiest but get the job done, look very nice, dont make my eyes strain a helluva lot, and are overall good enough.

Plus if it aint broken dont fuck with it.

-FN-
20-03-04, 09:02
I wrote SXR (http://www.synergyxr.net)'s website and all other *.synergyxr.net sites from scratch with PHP and MySQL as well, with the exception of the forum where I used a skinned phpBB. No phpNuke or prewritten code except for that. But like I said, I don't think KK needs to be spending time on webdev. There are more important things to code (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94548)...

jernau
20-03-04, 10:44
Originally posted by Mirco
One thing that bugs me is the boasting comment on the top right of www.neocron.com. For one I cant seem to find any sites thats called xboxweb.com. The one answer I got from google that found a site called www.xboxweb.com just gave me a server is unavailable message. And why use a boasting comment from a site that is clearly xbox related? It seems pretty desperate to me.

I think that quote is from the VERY early days of Beta. I have no idea what the source was or what the XBox link is about as there were no X-Boxs at that time (assuming I'm remembering it right).

wrt the site - It's fine IMO. The front page could use some updating content-wise but technically and appearance-wise I don't see any serious problems. In fact I'd say the forums are very good.

/edit - http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.xboxweb.com/ It went off-line sometime around the start of Beta 4. Don't ask why an X-Box site reviewed or mentioned Neocron. The writers name crops on a bunch of other review sites via google.

dem0n
20-03-04, 11:05
k aside from KK using phpnuke, graphic wise it's still very poor. I'm not saying it's bad... but look at the box version and the webpage? actualy, as for as I know there wasn't any brown/orange combo within the game at all. and second problem is the theme for the vBulletin and the theme for phpNuke aren't alike at all, meaning, the forum and the homepage look totally different, as if 2 different people decided which theme will be on the homepage and which in the forum. thats not a major problem, and neither do I wan't to create new problems. Ketchup is nice, and so is honey... but you don't put both on pizza - or some other comparison in that fashion.