PDA

View Full Version : So with Ventrilo's New Licensing...

-FN-
19-03-04, 07:55
Now that Ventrilo only offers two license models:

PUBLIC - What most all of us use - 8 User Limit

PRO - Rent a Ventrilo server off of some company and pay monthly for it - 200 User Limit

It's too bad though, the new features are awesome, but I also understand their reasoning (both listed here (http://forums.clant2k.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47417).)

SXR's website, forums, voice, nc.synergyxr.net, my own personal site, and a few other things are hosted by me personally. I never charged anyone a dime for anything. I fall under Public and the only way I could go Pro would be to pay $250+ to become a licensed corporation... aside from the unrealistic pricetag, I don't feel like going through the website and changing every reference of "SynergyXR" to "SynergyXR Inc." :p It's too bad though because I was perfectly willing to shell out some money to buy a "Pro" version of Ventrilo, but that's not even an option :(

We'll be staying with the 2.1.4 version of Vent while I start looking for a new voice comm system. My question is, aside from Teamspeak and *ugh* Roger Wilco, what else is there these days that's of any quality?

~Drav~
19-03-04, 08:06
ive been hosting my own TS server as of earlier today ...

Im on a 1mb connection with 512 upload, i had no difference to my NC Ping or bandwidth. Havent tried it with 20 or so ppl on the server yet and the only time it ever broke up was when there was everyone talkin at once on it and that happened anyway on a rented 30 person server ...

Were gonna try out this option for the meanwhile and see how it works out once our clan gets bigger and our comm's demand grows to the stage where it has 20+ ppl on it at once. Although no problems sofar.

[€] Ive just read through this (http://www.ventrilo.com/announce.php?220_changes) page explaining why their CEO decided to make these changes to the client, and to be honest its totally understandable. 8 users is ok, its just a bitch for the big clan gamers where you need 15+ slots sometimes upto 40 :o However the main loophole is those running the older server clients and them making sure that the end users connecting to their server still has the older client that will connect fine, totally avoiding the changes to vent 2.2.x ....

Invertigo
19-03-04, 08:32
in quality ts is pretty much same...

LVirus
19-03-04, 08:35
Go to TeamSpeak darling, it got better voice somehow but don't have all those nifty features like in Ventrilio (Ah, I remember when I binded text-to-speech function to my jump button and each time I jumped ingame it said : X is a homo)

hivemind
19-03-04, 09:33
Teamspeak's pretty good, especially with the new Speex codecs.

Give it a try.

hinch
19-03-04, 09:36
fang ts server is a 300+ user ts server

average online at once is about 30 to 40 all talking the hind legs off a donkey

theres no lag quality is good and its got low system overheads

g0rt
19-03-04, 10:03
teamspeak is teh win

ive stated my reasons for loving teamspeak enough on this forum, ill spare writing it out again.

ProfX
19-03-04, 11:31
TS = teh win

nuff said

Phobos

Tratos
19-03-04, 11:39
damn it, looks like FLUX are going ts/no voice comms at all, as it seems a fair few of us get trouble running TS and NC at the same time with out CTDs and stuff, even after trying all the "take off num lock" tricks and tips :(

Is it not possible to stay on the older version of ventrilo? or does everyone have to upgrade?

~Tratos

garyu69
19-03-04, 11:40
vent > TS

-FN-
19-03-04, 13:23
We used Roger Wilco, Teamspeak, and then settled on Ventrilo because it was by far the best out of the three at the time.

To my knowledge you can still use the 2.1.4 server with the same old client but you won't get any of the new features.

I think the funniest thing, from reading the Vent forums is that basically, Flagship will only take money from corporations and will give it to home users (<8 people) for free. I *want* to buy a 30-50 user vent server, as do a zillion other people, but Flagship won't take our money :(

.Cyl0n
19-03-04, 13:29
TS rox.. forget vent ;)

Psyco Groupie
19-03-04, 14:00
vent is shocking compared to ts imo

El_MUERkO
19-03-04, 15:30
We had this arguement before, Vent may not look as nice as TS but its functionality is far superior, also I'm thinking the sound differences are in your choice of codec and not the program.

On Topic: Flag r being silly

Omnituens
19-03-04, 15:39
TS is superior to Vent imo

voice quality is alot better.

Psyco Groupie
19-03-04, 15:46
The only thing vent 'has' over ts is it says peoples name when they join, but with it being voice comms surely someone can say 'hi' .. :rolleyes:

Delloda
19-03-04, 16:05
the old versions will still work won't they? do you really have to upgrade?

Psyco Groupie
19-03-04, 16:06
Originally posted by Delloda
the old versions will still work won't they? do you really have to upgrade?

the old versions have mem leaks so you have to upgarde :lol:

Delloda
19-03-04, 16:07
2.1.1 seems ok to me :) mem leak and all :P

MrChumble
19-03-04, 16:38
It's a compulsory upgrade, so to stay legal you need to upgrade. I think they'll have a tough time tracking down the thousands (possibly even tens of thousands) of private servers run for clans though. It would be kinda pointless for them to do so as well, as the logical alternative isn't to fork out for a licence and/or hosted server, it's to go use TS.

Jesterthegreat
19-03-04, 16:39
Originally posted by Tratos
damn it, looks like FLUX are going ts/no voice comms at all, as it seems a fair few of us get trouble running TS and NC at the same time with out CTDs and stuff, even after trying all the "take off num lock" tricks and tips :(

Is it not possible to stay on the older version of ventrilo? or does everyone have to upgrade?

~Tratos

problems pressing arrow keys? if so isnt that unchecking "default controls" or something silly in the options menu that solves that?

i dont use TS and im tryin to remember back to when i did

Barak
19-03-04, 16:55
Originally posted by Tratos

~Tratos

don't know how many times i've said it but..

if you have "Direct input to detect hotkey" Enabled in TS and/or Vent it in most cases causes CTD's in Neocron disable it and problem is solved if you've already done that and it's still fubar can't help. :(

Jesterthegreat
19-03-04, 17:00
Originally posted by Barak
don't know how many times i've said it but..

if you have "Direct input to detect hotkey" Enabled in TS and/or Vent it in most cases causes CTD's in Neocron disable it and problem is solved if you've already done that and it's still fubar can't help. :(

thats what i meant! i was right (kinda) :D

Barak
19-03-04, 17:05
Originally posted by Jesterthegreat
thats what i meant! i was right (kinda) :D

lies - lies I say , ignore this newb Jester :p

Jesterthegreat
19-03-04, 17:07
Neocron Junkie > Neocron Senior I'm afraid :p

(dear lord before i get flamed I'm joking! i dont think post count is all that matters, im not 1337, im not a vet, im not "teh pwn")

Myrlin
19-03-04, 17:11
Originally posted by MrChumble
It's a compulsory upgrade, so to stay legal you need to upgrade. I think they'll have a tough time tracking down the thousands (possibly even tens of thousands) of private servers run for clans though. It would be kinda pointless for them to do so as well, as the logical alternative isn't to fork out for a licence and/or hosted server, it's to go use TS.

I haven't read their terms of service in detail, but I would have to believe that they would have a hard time telling people that they can't legally use an outdated client that they gave out for free. The TOS contracts that I have seen usually state that they won't support outdated clients and new clients may not be backwards compatible.

You're right though, it is pointless for them to track down all the clans running an old version for a few reasons.

1) As you said, if they put pressure on the clans they will most likely move to another product instead of paying.
2) Assuming the clans host their own server and don't charge for access then they are completely within the guidelines of the old TOS.
3) The people that they are worried about stopping are the hosting companies, not the clans. I do believe that they will continue to investigate hosting companies that offer vent as a free service to verify that they have upgraded and paid the correct liscensing fee. If they continue to charge people to use the old client I think that they will end up with lawsuits dragging them into court.

Barak
19-03-04, 17:12
Sucks that the company changed it tho - i guess i'll have to go about getting a ... extended trial server thingy

OT - junkie it's only Senior because i got unbanned today and went back to my default title :p now shush before I kick your arse :)

Jesterthegreat
19-03-04, 17:15

OT - junkie it's only Senior because i got unbanned today and went back to my default title :p now shush before I kick your arse :)

the default title goes by your post count... hence you are infact a neocron senior...

Barak
19-03-04, 17:19
Originally posted by Jesterthegreat
the default title goes by your post count... hence you are infact a neocron senior...

sorry for more OT FN

Jester you nib i know that, you shall now be known as Captain Obvious

not lets leave this thread alone i don't want more bannage

Jesterthegreat
19-03-04, 17:30
sorry for more OT FN

Jester you nib i know that, you shall now be known as Captain Obvious

not lets leave this thread alone i don't want more bannage prolly a good move... if i was banned i would have nothing to do all day O_o

MrChumble
19-03-04, 19:13
On the plus side if we upgraded to the new vent I wouldn't have to listen to barak on comms all day :p

Barak
19-03-04, 20:02
says mr more accounts then brain cells

•Super|\|ova•
19-03-04, 20:52
TS is teh win. No annoying speech message BS (and i know they can be disabled but the fact that they are there in the first place makes it kiddie program.. "lololollloolol look at me i can hear dirty words") plus the voice sounds on TS.

Oh and btw... this is my 1000th post :D

\\o

o//

\o/

YAY!!! :lol: