PDA

View Full Version : how do i make my IE stop using lycos...

Invertigo
18-03-04, 23:21
this is so annoying...

i got my homepage set for www.msn.com

whenever i type somthing in the URL adress, and not put a www, it will take whatever i typed, IE Necron.com and run a search for it, and the search fucking sucks btw...

even when i type www.neocron.com fast, it will still just run a search for it.

HOW DO I GET THIS TO GO AWAY

i hate typing www.somthing.com everytime...

sw1tch
18-03-04, 23:26
yeh i hate those auto search things, thats why i use opera (http://www.opera.com) , its a great browser, you only need to type in neocron then enter and it goes to www.neocron.com.

As for your problem, look at the bottom of the page for any uninstal options and try to get rid of it, maybe a spyware program will stop it happening in the first place.

A nifty trick to do tho, is to type in neocron , then press ctrl enter, ad it fills in the www. and .com

Invertigo
18-03-04, 23:28
Originally posted by sw1tch
yeh i hate those auto search things, thats why i use opera (http://www.opera.com) , its a great browser, you only need to type in neocron then enter and it goes to www.neocron.com.

As for your problem, look at the bottom of the page for any uninstal options and try to get rid of it, maybe a spyware program will stop it happening in the first place.

A nifty trick to do tho, is to type in neocron , then press ctrl enter, ad it fills in the www. and .com

ive used spybot search and destroy, and some other things...no spyware...

and as for opera, i knew someone was gonna say just to use that:rolleyes: but tbh i prefer ie over it... i dunno why...

Mighty Max
18-03-04, 23:29
Sorry, but youll have to write the "www" even when you change that search page. (There is indeed a regkey for it i can lookup if u still want it)

But "neocron.com" is not "www.neocron.com" those are completely independed entries in the DomainNameServer (DNS) which can refer to different IPs. With neocron tho it should work because its registered in both ways.

But most pages are not.

edit: Registry key is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

Look for the entry "Search Page"

Kugero
18-03-04, 23:30
with IE go to 'Tool' then 'Options' then click on the 'Programs' tab

at the bottom you'll see a button 'Reset Web Settings' - this should reset your IE back to the default config.

if it's something like Yahoo Search Bar or some other bloatware then you'll have to go into the Control Panel and remove the software

Invertigo
18-03-04, 23:31
Originally posted by Mighty Max
Sorry, but youll have to write the "www" even when you change that search page. (There is indeed a regkey for it i can lookup if u still want it)

But "neocron.com" is not "www.neocron.com" those are completely independed entries in the DomainNameServer (DNS) which can refer to different IPs. With neocron tho it should work because its registered in both ways.

But most pages are not.

ive NEVER had to enter the www. before...

untill this lycos thing started happening...

i looked through the reg but i didnt find nothing about lycos... im sure your better at it than me so go for it.

and like i said, it does it for everything, like station.com and planetside.com...

and like i said even sometimes when i add the www. it still fucking brings up a search on it...soooo annoying.

sw1tch
18-03-04, 23:35
try what Kugero said to remove it,

and in order not to type out everything, just use the trick i posted; just looked like you missed it.

A nifty trick to do tho, is to type in neocron , then press ctrl enter, and it fills in the www. and .com

Invertigo
18-03-04, 23:35
i dont have a directory in my reg for Internet Explorer, and also Kugero that didnt work, and its not like a search bar or anything, it just for some reason brings up lycos whenever i type in a url and runs a search on it instead of going tot he fuckin site...

nah i saw it, its just id rather just type neocron.com in a quarter of a sec then type neocron reach down to press 2 keys at once then enter...:p

another edit, i also tryed clearing history/cookies and offline content

Invertigo
18-03-04, 23:43
i just typed neocron.com over and over again untill it didnt use lycos and just opend the page, here it is WITHOUT the www. :o
http://www.angelfire.com/pro/kidwithstick/neocron.GIF

edit: its still using it though...just got lucky that time

Kugero
19-03-04, 00:19
ok try this:

get back into 'Tools' - 'Options'

click on the tab called 'Advanced'

scroll down till you see a section on 'Search From the Address Bar'

check 'Do not search from the address bar'

you probably have to restart IE for the change to take effect.

try it and let us know.

- Kug

Invertigo
19-03-04, 00:33
hmmmm i dont see that option in the advanced menu... maybe its called somthing else?

damn that sounds like it would be the problem too...

Myrlin
19-03-04, 00:42
Invertigo what version of IE do you have? You probably want to start by upgrading to the latest version so you can be sure you're protected from all the latest IE exploits on the web. Upgrading may also fix your problem. IE 6 SP1 is the latest version.

hivemind
19-03-04, 02:43
My suggestion would be to shitcan IE and use Mozilla. It's free, searches using Google by default, and it'll automatically import all your IE favorites when you install it.

MOZILLA!!!1 (http://www.mozilla.org)

Invertigo
19-03-04, 02:48
Originally posted by hivemind
My suggestion would be to shitcan IE and use Mozilla. It's free, searches using Google by default, and it'll automatically import all your IE favorites when you install it.

MOZILLA!!!1 (http://www.mozilla.org)

i dont like mozilla either...

i dont care about all the exploits or hacks or whatever for IE, i never get hacked, get any virus's, trojans...nothing...and i dont even got a fuckin firewall...

i just want this fixed

Ormy
19-03-04, 02:49
IE = microshaft = Ev1l

Firefox 0.8 = Mozilla = W1n

Myrlin
19-03-04, 03:40
Invertigo click help -> about and check out which version of IE you have. If you have an old version that might be why you can't find the setting that people are talking about.

Invertigo
19-03-04, 03:45
i have IE 6

Kugero
19-03-04, 18:00
hmm. my version shows 6.0.blah.blah.blah so my 'Internet Options' should be the same as your 'Internet Options' ...

well ok try this:

Under 'Tools' click on 'windows Update' - let the Micro-hoes run their check book account scanning software on you and make sure you have (0) in the 'Critical Updates and Service Packs' and then take a look at the 'Advanced' option tab again.

Might fix it. You never know.

Spoon
19-03-04, 18:32
Try opening the Search pane in IE, and click on Customize...

Then check off "Use one Search Service".....

Then choose a default Search Service...

I use MSN Search, it almost always auto completes the URL...

Also, under Internet Options, Advanced tab, I have "Just go to the most likely site"(under "Search from address bar") checked and "Use inline Autocomplete"(under "Browsing") is also checked off....

Glok
19-03-04, 18:37
You say you used Spybot, but did you update it first? Spybot gets small updates every once in a while with new defs.