PDA

View Full Version : Earth & Beyond to shut down

mr murb
17-03-04, 20:43
This shocked me. This game hasn't been around that long.
I only played the BETA, I didn't think it was in such bad shape now.
But it may be all about the money and resources.
Anyone want to guess on the next MMORPG to shut down.

http://www.earthandbeyond.ea.com/news/news_article.jsp?news_id=1827

Starting September 22, 2004, Earth & Beyond will no longer be in service.
After an amazing two years of galactic adventure, Electronic Arts has made
the decision to close Earth & Beyond in order to focus resources on future games.

Please check your email associated with your Earth & Beyond game account
for updates and more information on what this closure means to you.
We hope you've enjoyed the game as much as we have and that we'll see you
again in another great EA game!

For more information, please visit www.enb.com.

Thank you,
The Earth & Beyond Team

Keiron
17-03-04, 20:44
That's one EA pulls the plug on. I wonder how long Ultima Online will hold out.

GT_Rince
17-03-04, 20:45
Originally posted by mr murb
After an amazing two years of galactic adventure, Electronic Arts has made
the decision to close Earth & Beyond in order to focus resources on future games.

What they mean is, they ain't making any money 'cos it's pants...

sanityislost
lol i nearly left neo to play that, glad i didnt :D

Nexxy
EA have a bad record with MMOs, first Motor City Online and now this =/

EandB sucked anyway, didnt have any PvP untill they patched it in a few months after release.

FuzzyDuck
17-03-04, 20:46
mmmmmmmm it was a crap game in my opinion. But think of all the players that've spent their lives in it.

Like me in Neocron http://forum.pcgamer.co.uk/images/smiles/icon_redface.gif

Spoon
17-03-04, 20:59
EA pulled the plug on BattleTech 3025, to put resourses into Ultima Online....

Hey, can someone make me a "Lap Dancer" sig?

msdong
17-03-04, 21:22
it looked like Eve online meet Playmobil ... i tryed around 3 months but it wasnt the real thing.
EA is kind of the suckiest Publisher/Developer around and worst is they consume so many good names in game world and make them develop their mainstream 08/15 games.

well they are just like Lucas. The once big adventure guys are now SW only....

Mattimeo
17-03-04, 21:33
I just wish when games like they died they'd let you setup your own servers or something after. mmmm my own NC server....

Dru Blood
17-03-04, 21:53
the screenshots look pants

Robert [GS]
17-03-04, 22:33
The SimsOnline ...

Psyco Groupie
17-03-04, 22:35
well .. its wasnt exactly the best looking game ever, and from beta I cant say it kept my attention well enough to buy it .. glad i didnt now

Drake6k
17-03-04, 22:39
In E&B beta I got two level 45 characters. Both times they got deleted. That's why I never went into retail... They promised things like guild starship bases and stuff to come out soon after launch... but they never came. It could have been so great. If the world was bigger and full pvp with big guild ships and wars I think it could still be going. I would play eve if it wasn't sooooo boring and movement wasn't click and wait. I want a good space mmo so bad :( :(

HellBreaker
18-03-04, 00:35
**point finger at Eve online**
i think they might have all moved to eve o_O
Eve online is nearly the same as E&B

Psyco Groupie
18-03-04, 00:39
eve does exactly the seem in a really 'pretty' way .. shame you can lose so much of your work in seconds ... a battleship is like 10 mc5 chips in nc .. unless your a member of a super corp who can ounumber everyone .. but theres loads of em so you cant have a monopoly for long without a war ...

yeah, i'd imagine eve pwned em

Sheba
18-03-04, 01:20
Originally posted by Keiron
That's one EA pulls the plug on. I wonder how long Ultima Online will hold out.

Well as its the longest running online game...I think something truely dire would have to happen for them to close it!
I cut my beta teeth on UO played for 5 years + loved it.
But they need to update the engine etc other then that its still a good online game.

Ormy
18-03-04, 01:26
Originally posted by Drake6k
I want a good space mmo so bad :( :(

I've been saying that since JumpGate went stale 18 months ago. ZERO point and click, complete skill based PvP, incredibly complicated, realistic economy, awesome GMs, great players etc etc. Pure ownage apart from maybe the gfx, just slowly emptied out.

Freelancer is the only other decent space sim i've played since, but i got bored as soon as i finished the single player missions. MS could have taken that and made it into a half decent MMORPG if you ask me.

EnB and EVE both have seriously limiting point and click and are just plain boring.

Mattimeo
18-03-04, 02:09
Originally posted by Ormy

Freelancer is the only other decent space sim i've played since, but i got bored as soon as i finished the single player missions. MS could have taken that and made it into a half decent MMORPG if you ask me.

funny you should mention that, Freelancer was originally intended as an MMORPG, but then the project was cut so they took what they had, built the singple player story out of that background they had, and released the game. I agree that it would have been a good MMORPG if they made the universe bigger.

Such a shame too, I did have a persistant server running for it for a while, but after everyone got the best ship it was boring.

Nasher
20-03-04, 15:22
Space MMORPGs never seen to do that well or last long because most people dont put enough variety in them, they are almost all hours of mining (in Eve's case weeks/months) flying cargo back and farward before you can start to have any kind of fun :/

XSuneX
20-03-04, 18:27
Oh man please... I new earth & Beyond sucked as soon as I saw it on the shelves. there screen shots were even made up and not even real in game shots. It was real lame.

EVE Online is next.

& AO online realy is very very lame. I hope it goes down.

Everquest was realy crappy from the begining and still is. I can't understand how so many people think its the bomb. Good advertizing and close to the first one I guess.

Babai
20-03-04, 18:36
Jumpgate is the best MMORPG space sim evar. Check www.jossh.com.

XSuneX
20-03-04, 18:49
X Online Universe seems really good like X2 the Threat, High Quality, BUT..... Space Sims are just soooooo boring. Because flying in outer space is just boring to me. But that’s just my opinion. http://www.online-universe.net/

Celt
21-03-04, 08:56
Originally posted by Psyco Groupie
a battleship is like 10 mc5 chips in nc .. unless your a member of a super corp who can ounumber everyone .. but theres loads of em so you cant have a monopoly for long without a war ...

Me and snow as well as 2 other neocron players started at retail, managed to get ourselves the best cruisers without that much trouble, and by the time me and snow quit, we had access to 5 BS BP originals from friends, and debtors, as well as 3 battleships and minerals for 7 more.

That's just us two working together outside a corp.

We still havent got one mc5 chip between us in neocron.

Shujin
21-03-04, 09:01
Originally posted by XSuneX
Oh man please... I new earth & Beyond sucked as soon as I saw it on the shelves. there screen shots were even made up and not even real in game shots. It was real lame.

EVE Online is next.

& AO online realy is very very lame. I hope it goes down.

Everquest was realy crappy from the begining and still is. I can't understand how so many people think its the bomb. Good advertizing and close to the first one I guess. trust me eve isnt going down anytime soon.

just recently they broke their record for amount of people on at a time, almost 8000 ( and no it didnt lag one bit ;P )

8000 people playing a game that costs about 13$ a month is about 100,000 a month. trust me they arent going down soon. They are virtually bug free now other than some bugs they have with people getting stuck in a system ;| <-- anoying.

but they've fixxed that up pretty much. they have released Tech2 ( a small expansion of eve to include new items and ships and skills ), and are planning to release another small expansion called Shiva, with player ran systems etc. they have also introduced conquerable stations now so that's great.

also, u dont have to mine weeks to make it in eve.
the first corp i joined handed me a mil isk to start out ;P
with that i bought alot of skills and trained them, i've killed assloads of pirates and killing pirates can be profitable if you do it right.

the caldari ship Kestrel is VERY nice for hunting. it has 4 launcher ports, put 4 heavy missles on that bitch and go hunting and ur gonna make some serious cash, specially if you have a group of kestrels in a gang.

think about that dude. a group of 3 kestrels can take the some of the stronger pirates... which are about 40-50k each.

if you kill 10 of those a day, thats 500k ;P

and mining isnt hard. train your mining skill and get mining drones skill, get a thorax and put 4x Miner 2 on it and fill ur drone bay with mining drones, you can make a mil an hour or more.

Celt
21-03-04, 09:04
Originally posted by Shujin
trust me eve isnt going down anytime soon.

just recently they broke their record for amount of people on at a time, almost 8000 ( and no it didnt lag one bit ;P )

8000 people playing a game that costs about 13$ a month is about 100,000 a month. trust me they arent going down soon. They are virtually bug free now other than some bugs they have with people getting stuck in a system ;| <-- anoying.

but they've fixxed that up pretty much. they have released Tech2 ( a small expansion of eve to include new items and ships and skills ), and are planning to release another small expansion called Shiva, with player ran systems etc. they have also introduced conquerable stations now so that's great.

TomB tells me that the amount of paid accounts is around 55-65k or so(a few months ago though).

13*55000= a lot of moolah.

Eve isnt going ANYWHERE for a few years, from what he tells me, 1 month's gross income would pay for a year of running the game without staff.

Shujin
21-03-04, 09:06
Originally posted by Celt
TomB tells me that the amount of paid accounts is around 55-65k or so(a few months ago though).

13*55000= a lot of moolah.

Eve isnt going ANYWHERE for a few years, from what he tells me, 1 month's gross income would pay for a year of running the game without staff. yea and they got volunteer GM's so they probably dont have much staff to pay. ;] they are a company alot like KK right? cept from new zealand instead of germany?

Celt
21-03-04, 09:25
yea and they got volunteer GM's so they probably dont have much staff to pay. ;] they are a company alot like KK right? cept from new zealand instead of germany?
Iceland actually.

Eve was their first game as a company, and as developers.

And yet look what they have achieved.

(note, vols(volunteer gm's) are like GM's in neocron, unpaid, but vols dont have the powers GM's in NC do, and they refer a lot of petitions up to the next tier, paid GM's)

Shujin
21-03-04, 09:49
Iceland actually.

Eve was their first game as a company, and as developers.

And yet look what they have achieved.

(note, vols(volunteer gm's) are like GM's in neocron, unpaid, but vols dont have the powers GM's in NC do, and they refer a lot of petitions up to the next tier, paid GM's) they are also very quick to help replace lost items unlike nc gms, they also log EVERYTHING unlike nc.

they log chat, and everything your character does in game basicly. so if you exploit they will know, and if you get a bug they can fix what went wrong and give you back the lost items due to the bug.

i had a bug that sentry turrets started attackin me for no reason at all. they looked into it, and about 5 mins later they said they see no reason why it happend and replaced the lost ship, replaced the lost items, and let me keep my insurance money from the lost ship.

Celt
21-03-04, 09:56
The concept just isnt as interesting to me as NC's, but every single other thing is superior :/

Support, playerbase, freedom.

Yeah the dev's miss deadlines too, but the constant progress being made is so obvious, compared to NC's

I just wish CCP had come along a year earler with a post apocalyptic mmofps

Shujin
21-03-04, 10:04
The concept just isnt as interesting to me as NC's, but every single other thing is superior :/

Support, playerbase, freedom.

Yeah the dev's miss deadlines too, but the constant progress being made is so obvious, compared to NC's

I just wish CCP had come along a year earler with a post apocalyptic mmofps freedom isnt very high. you have to watch what you say.

you cuss in a public chat and ur in shit ;P i got banned for a day because someone didnt like me using the word fuck in local chat. a friend of mine got banned for a week for using the word ****** in a channel HE made.

and yea i love the style of NC over EVE, but i think NC should adapt some of EVE's things into it. like the time training, NC should have some things that happen over time along with the skill training

Celt
21-03-04, 10:08
freedom isnt very high. you have to watch what you say.

you cuss in a public chat and ur in shit ;P i got banned for a day because someone didnt like me using the word fuck in local chat. a friend of mine got banned for a week for using the word ****** in a channel HE made.

and yea i love the style of NC over EVE, but i think NC should adapt some of EVE's things into it. like the time training, NC should have some things that happen over time along with the skill training
I meant freedom in play, not to curse :)
Eve is aimed at players of all ages, unlike NC which has boobies so must be cool!

http://www.eveguardian.com/misc/maps/latest.jpg
Everyone of those alliances is player made, containing tens(or hundreds) of player corps, and thousands of players.

Shujin
21-03-04, 10:12
I meant freedom in play, not to curse :)
Eve is aimed at players of all ages, unlike NC which has boobies so must be cool!

Everyone of those alliances is player made, containing tens(or hundreds) of player corps, and thousands of players. the staind alliance has pwn'd me so much ;[

im not really even a pvp'r but i joined a pirate clan because they were nice and offered me alot to help me start out and turned out to be really nice people... they kinda killed me ALOT ;]

ps. whats ur name ingame? we can play sometime if u still play. and if u got a good corp ill join, my current corps are so lame... the 'nice pirate corp' i was previously in.. well their leader basicly took alot of money from us and then quit the game

Celt
21-03-04, 10:19
My brother still plays, I sold my account and assets on ebay last october to buy a new pc :-)

As for good corps,

Second Wave Inc. are fairly decent blokes, was with some of them since beta

Xanadu is a megacorp, been together 4 or 5 years throughout different games, got their shit together and basically control FA as their proxy.

AFDT(agressive faction defense technologies) are a medium sized all round corp, good for newish players who want to do stuff like corp mine, corp hunt and are looking for high end cruisers and BS

Shujin
21-03-04, 10:22
My brother still plays, I sold my account and assets on ebay last october to buy a new pc :-)

As for good corps,

Second Wave Inc. are fairly decent blokes, was with some of them since beta

Xanadu is a megacorp, been together 4 or 5 years throughout different games, got their shit together and basically control FA as their proxy.

AFDT(agressive faction defense technologies) are a medium sized all round corp, good for newish players who want to do stuff like corp mine, corp hunt and are looking for high end cruisers and BS how much u think i can get for 3 chars, 1 with about 1.4 mil skill points, 1 with about 700k skill points, and other with about 600k skill points.
total cash on characters about 7mil and alot of named items, and a couple nice ships, no BS's tho, pretty newbish, and a Ireton mark III, indy bought for about

could i get at least $100 >.< i know its all kinda noobish but eh ;P

how much u get for uts?

Celt
21-03-04, 10:26
Doubt you'd get more then $50-$75

I sold three accounts in sept/oct:

3million skill points(highest anyone had at that time was 3.75)
Apocalypse with 8 miner 2's and 70 harvesters
level 5 mining, astro geology, level 5 droning, level 4 drone interfacing, level 5 mining drones, gunnery 5, engineering 5, a bunch of other leet skills.

2.5million skillpoints, pure fighting char, massive gunnery and missile skills, ready to use caldari BS

2.5million skill points, level 5 production, level 5 refining, level 5 refing efficiency, and a bunch of other level 5 production skills.

Total assets several hundred million isk, about 250million worth of drones, 200million worth of heavily researched BP's, several BS, cruisers and indies, with minerals to build 1billion worth.

Got £800 sterling for it, cheap because it was a friend.

Shujin
21-03-04, 10:28
Doubt you'd get more then $50-$75

I sold three accounts in sept/oct:

3million skill points(highest anyone had at that time was 3.75)
Apocalypse with 8 miner 2's and 70 harvesters
level 5 mining, astro geology, level 5 droning, level 4 drone interfacing, level 5 mining drones, gunnery 5, engineering 5, a bunch of other leet skills.

wow with that alone you can make probably 100 mil a week ;P if not more , and could sell that on ebay for the comp money ;P

Celt
21-03-04, 10:30
I could make 100million a day easily enough(18hours or so).

Any idea how much megacyte you can get with 8 miner 2's, maxed out mining skills, and 7 harvesters? :)

Was too bored, happy enough to get money for a new PC out of it.

Shujin
21-03-04, 10:31
I could make 100million a day easily enough(18hours or so).

Any idea how much megacyte you can get with 8 miner 2's, maxed out mining skills, and 7 harvesters? :)

Was too bored, happy enough to get money for a new PC out of it. i will goto sleep crying tonight.

oh well.
it takes time to train in eve. so eventually i'll have enough skills to have that setup. and eventually ill be able to make 100 mil a day... and hopefully eve will be even more popular then due to some expansion releases ;P so maybe i can get a new car sometime.... god i suck

Celt
21-03-04, 10:41
i will goto sleep crying tonight.

oh well.
it takes time to train in eve. so eventually i'll have enough skills to have that setup. and eventually ill be able to make 100 mil a day... and hopefully eve will be even more popular then due to some expansion releases ;P so maybe i can get a new car sometime.... god i suck

Funny thing is, I enjoyed it more when their was 5 of us in cruisers/indie's working to get ourselves in better ships, all of us friends from NC.

Money doesnt bring happiness :)