PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts - Trying something different for fun

amfest
17-03-04, 10:02
So maybe I'm wierd but I don't care about being viable in some ways. I like to try different things sometimes. Well I said I"d make a tradeskiller and I wouldn't be the top tradeskiller there was I'd go both research and construction. So no room for weaponlore or willpower . .and I didn't really feel like leveling up really high then lomming there to pure tradeskills. I wanted to have fun along the way. so I went for the only option I thought at the time.

- Melee spy

Now I must say. This was the most fun I've had on a spy in a long time. Since I coudln't handle aggies very well up close I knew I needed psi. So I went to the storage in the vehicle shop in pp3. Has nothing but TG cave mobs. So i ran TG missions hacking up quite many to get my psi levels. So now I finally got m y heal and deflector. and such so i say okay now to aggies. Now i've always had troubles with a spy in the aggie room cause I coudln't do enough dmg fast enough and I always had to hide while i reloaded and such but as a melee spy .I just roared right though them like there was no tomorrow. I was amazed. Normally in the begining I would cringe to head as a spy into the aggie room but now I was like yea!! bring them on. not long after i found myself at the mb bunker taking on launcher cyclops with a long laserblade .. and not too much longer of leveling and I was str capped and con capped from being up close. in the end my last weapon achievable was long laserblade II with drugs. (didn't have moveon so I needed x-strong and beast). I was also able to wear inq 1 armor and take down terrormaulers, hoppers and raptors. It was fun. Even went into the choas caves a few times for the fun of it and people were like wtf. You're going to die alot. And then not long after the person who said I was going to die alot is dead and i'm hacking away still o_O

Anyhow I was at a stump though it was fun and then i get this funny idea .. hmm HC . .vehicles .. mmmMMmMMmm. So I lom my melee away (yea yea i know lom >_< ) Ended up with 103 HC (i think) and 15 transport. I get myself a combat hovertech and head out to try it out.

-Combat Vehicle Spy

woo ammo is heavy but no matter it doesn't take much junk to clone it AND it doens't matter if you're overloaded since whenyou are on the vehicle it makes no difference. Before I knew it I was chewing through terrormaulers, raptors and hoppers like they were paper. I start roaring through terrorleapers and terror raptors (which i would cringe to fight before cause of their spawn) before they could even spawn anything for the most part. I was like this rules! Then I finally get ahold of a scorpion Trike. OMG so what if i can't do the max dmg cause I don't have enough HC I still do over 200 x 3 dmg per rocket burst to 3 star mobs and make short work of most of them. Grims and percs take a lil more RAWR but ah well :) . I also made a TL 19 laser cannon to get those pesky mobs off the cliffs which works out well since vehicles sorta have problems with shooting too high (althoguh with a combat hovertech you can get up pretty high on some cliffs and into areas where there are pits that mobs spawn in sometimes. Well I don't have my PSI up to cap so I decide I'd run missions. So I build myself a umm TL 42? plasma wave cannon and head intot he aggie cellers. I don't really have a choice of weapons on foot cause my dex goes into repair, vehicle, TC, and agility (might lom some agility). But it's funny how many people will be like OMG gimp gimp gimp or start laughing or wtf comments. heh then again I guess you can see that if there are a swarm of raptors at CRP and you see this spy running aruond blasting them with an unlabeled plasma cannon. But stilll why do people have to be like sometimes OMG you're stupid. Although if i'm in my trike I'd outdmg them in most cases. And I think when gliders come out maybe I"ll have myself leveled up nicely to reach those high level glider reqs :D

Anyhow the problems I hit are this for the vehicle combat tradeskilling spy. 2 star firemobs dnot' give me as much xp anymore and doomies are the next step up but they don't spawn as often as I like. 2nd if you do find some they tend to be grouped in chasers and percs more often than naught. Which when I look at it the fire mob spawning sucks. So I looked to warbots which are good 3 star mobs I can take down fast .. but since i'm a tradeskilling spy .. . I have no room for hack >_< and I need that loot for cloning my ammo and drugs. How much dmg do brutes and horrors do to scorpion trikes? I'd fight chasers and percs more but they tend to dmg the trike quite a bit which adds up in repair costs alot. I've been trying to find people around at MB and such to follow around that can hack .. but it's sorta blah .. lol. Any suggestions on this end?

So what NOT intended gimped class by public Opinion (so to speak) have you tried or are considering trying for fun. And why maybe? I'd like to know :)

phunqe
17-03-04, 10:20
I tried something last Friday...

One of my accounts is an APU. Back in the days when the DS and core gave +14 PPW, I tried on a blessed/holy enr halo hybrid.
This was quite nice. What made it more or less viable was the blessed heal.

Now, the holy energy halo does nice damage, but what if you could use a HL as a hybrid? :eek:

So I fiddle a bit with the skill manager and managed to find a decent PPU/APU/PPW setup for HL use and basic shelter/heal/def.

When loming was finished I managed to get about 480% dmg on the HL and.. hmm 500% on the shelter I think.

Now, the setup was quite nice for PvM. I could infront of a grim pers and take him down without hassle (dmg boosted).

However... and lol :p
For PvP it is another matter.
I went into PP to look for some victim and who do I stumble upon... hehe.. mega of course. To make a long story short I zoned 3 times with 1 HLT :p
I found the problem to be the HL fizzling. at APU 141 you get rather nice damage on it, but the handling was awful. I had to stand more or less still to actually fire it and the RoF was at 90/min only.
By the time I managed to dmg boost mega I was down to 50 HLT even with shelter on (you can't run around casting the dmg boost either, and the RoF on that was rather crappy apparently). My CON setup is geared for PvP, so I did not want to fiddle with it (has proven good on previous occasions, with APU armour however...). Basically I had to quit it and face the letdown :p

I was suffering from lag however so I'm going to try it again. No, I did not blame on lag when I was owned :p Never do that.
I might turn off my file sharing program next time though :lol:

My conclusion is that blessed heal is the dealbreaker. Basic heal is just too crappy for a hybrid (to justify the self nerfage on the HL).

It was fun however, and as I said, it's ok for PvM.
I'm going to try it without lag one time as well, but I don't think it will change anything.

Next experiment is to finalize the cap on my droner and try on some crazy setups :p

sultana
17-03-04, 10:59
Then I finally get ahold of a scorpion Trike
I take it your having fun then :P
Was pretty funny at crp, watching you whip out a plasma cannon... skuld was saying "wtf..." :lol:

amfest
17-03-04, 10:59
w00t hyrbid experimenation.
Anyhow I think everyone freaks when they encounter something that isn't "viable" by itself (although i know my melee spy was silly at least I was able to be a tradeskiller and not use up any of my int for weaponlore or willpower). I think the thing for me is I'm looking for fun and a good "SUPPORT" class. (dont' mention PPUs to me :P ) Like my vehicle combat spy who if they lose their vehicle they have to run or die. Or a lowtech rifle driving spy. If the transport is destroyed they have some means to attack if need be but more in the point of defense not offesive so as soon as a path to escaped opens they will take it. (can you tell I like vehicles :P )

well I guess I could go APU centered PE :lol:

Was pretty funny at crp, watching you whip out a plasma cannon... skuld was saying "wtf..."

yea that was funny but as I said . it's not like I have a choice besides a junk knife lol. Plasma wave is more realstic to use for me than the unlabeled plasma cannon cause I don't have to worry about kickback and have to use 2 drugs for it though I didn't really know what a plasma wave was before i got it (i've never messed with heavy weapons before) and I made a 3 slot one and modded one slot with handling >_<;;;; I'm such a doofus .. should of seen my face when I got down into the aggies rooms to find out what it was . .lol.

*drools for a moveon*

hinch
17-03-04, 11:07
as for hybrids we could never runcast

phunqe
17-03-04, 11:13
Originally posted by hinch
as for hybrids we could never runcast

Works with a 120 all stats holy energy halo as blessed hybrid however, as I remember it... Didn't have any problems running around in PvP with it.

Or am I out fishing...

hinch
17-03-04, 11:17
i meant with HL sorry should have been more clear

phunqe
17-03-04, 11:21
i meant with HL sorry should have been more clear

Ah ok... I tried not to sound like a besserwisser there :p

Psyco Groupie
17-03-04, 11:28
Modding handling is a good idea on cannons ....

amfest
17-03-04, 11:45
Modding handling is a good idea on cannons ....

but isn't that just for recoil? plasma wave is a laser cannon basically so no recoil. I should of went for freq or more dmg.

Q`alooaith
17-03-04, 11:57
I'd not recomend making an APU tank, funny as it is, you can't do much with your psi capping so low, maybe a spy would be better, or a PE...

Heavy combat PPU's are ok too... gimpy but good..

amfest
17-03-04, 12:05
A Droning Tank . .you find this droners meatsack and find yourself umm :D

winnoc
17-03-04, 12:25
Oh, and how about a poking researching ppu tank?

I'm betting you won't get any customers at plaza :-)

amfest
17-03-04, 12:30
I'm betting you won't get any customers at plaza :-)

why's that? there are times when the servers run dry of any tradeskillers and the low levels need their stuff researched and get poked .. you see there is that mentality again .. you have to be the best or it's not viable and people point and laugh but the 3/6 who gets his imps poked in by the tank and his next weapon BP'd by him whenthere are no other researchers or pokers on will say THX!! you're a lifesaver!

And a tank that can withstand the aggies onslaught and can surive without his own heal could just constantly heal low levels to try and keep them alive .. also if they become too much and someone is about to die .. unlike the PPU he can whip out his cannon and destroy all mobs within the room within seconds.

Original monk
17-03-04, 13:11
Originally posted by amfest
why's that? there are times when the servers run dry of any tradeskillers and the low levels need their stuff researched and get poked .. you see there is that mentality again .. you have to be the best or it's not viable and people point and laugh but the 3/6 who gets his imps poked in by the tank and his next weapon BP'd by him whenthere are no other researchers or pokers on will say THX!! you're a lifesaver!

And a tank that can withstand the aggies onslaught and can surive without his own heal could just constantly heal low levels to try and keep them alive .. also if they become too much and someone is about to die .. unlike the PPU he can whip out his cannon and destroy all mobs within the room within seconds.

Amen, this is one of the "better" threads i read in a while ... especially about the: if youre not a fully specialized capped skiller, you are worthless: while a noob will be glad that he's problem of not having a bp or being poked is solved, nomather by who ... witouth all the hassles of looking for a tl 255 constructor dex 125 int 110 or sumthing ...

and btw a ppu can lay down some aggy's pretty fast :P especially my capped lowtech rifler ppu, who after the TLchange-patch is gonna be a hitech-plasmarifle and sniper PPU :P

amfest
17-03-04, 13:14
and btw a ppu can lay down some aggy's pretty fast :P especially my capped lowtech rifler ppu, who after the TLchange-patch is gonna be a hitech-plasmarifle and sniper PPU :P

LOL that will be something to see :D

phunqe
17-03-04, 13:15
Originally posted by Original monk
Amen, this is one of the "better" threads i read in a while ... especially about the: if youre not a fully specialized capped skiller, you are worthless...

Indeed :D

hinch
17-03-04, 13:16
im thinking of making my ppu a pistoleer as i dont need wep under int so it wont effect my ppu skills depends on how the tl changes work out

amfest
17-03-04, 13:20
A PPU droner that drugs up for the dex 37 Kamikaze drone to annoy the enemy and when they come to find the meatsack they sorta umm have problems trying to kill the droner :D

Original monk
17-03-04, 13:22
im thinking of making my ppu a pistoleer as i dont need wep under int so it wont effect my ppu skills depends on how the tl changes work out

i been pistoler with my ppu but i didnt like they damage it did back then (think the highest pistol i could use was 5 tl's lower then the highest rifle i could use back then) .. but they are very viable against apu's :) i can defenitly comfirm that cause i got my apu's ass wooped by a pistolerppu before :P

pretty scary lol

amfest
17-03-04, 14:42
dmg boost, soul cluster cast (when it was broken lol) then lay into them with your gun of choice heh. But yea I can see a PPU wasting an apu . heck i see it with jsut them spamming para spells on an apu -_-;; considering the apu can't heal themselves for crap

Q`alooaith
17-03-04, 14:52
dmg boost, soul cluster cast (when it was broken lol) then lay into them with your gun of choice heh. But yea I can see a PPU wasting an apu . heck i see it with jsut them spamming para spells on an apu -_-;; considering the apu can't heal themselves for crap

Been there with my APU, my medikit's kept me alive long enough to posion then fire then energy then Psi attack 2 spam a PPU to death, though I had 2 HP's left... para spam can kill a APU without much hassle, and if the PPU keep's all his shield's up the APU's got no chance...

I think I'm going to put some droner implants in my tank now, and grab a basic drone from my spy and see how viable it might be..

MC5 forever!

Siygess
17-03-04, 15:02
I used to research up to TL120 with my Driving, Gunning, Hacking High Tech Rifle PE. I used to get a lot of business in the morning, too - not many researchers on Pluto at 6:30 am GMT :)

amfest
17-03-04, 15:08
then Psi attack 2 spam a PPU to death

mMMmmMm I want to make a PSI attack 2 hybrid :p

GIVE ME RARE PSI ATTACK

Q`alooaith
17-03-04, 15:17
mMMmmMm I want to make a PSI attack 2 hybrid :p

GIVE ME RARE PSI ATTACK

You'd be amazed how many PPU's don't put a deflector up when fighting and APU, leaves them wide open for Psi attack 2, I made a thread ages ago asking for a Psi attack 3 or a rare psi attack spell..

It's just deadly when used correctly..

Original monk
17-03-04, 15:34
removed by myself for offtopic, sorryz

amfest
17-03-04, 23:46
How would a sniping melee tank work out? Take off some dmg from a far distance and when they close in the distance you whip out your melee weapon and go to work to finish it off? Of course I guess when they are closing distance they'd target you and take off some dmg before you get there, but most fights are close quarters anyway right?

Genty
18-03-04, 00:00
I think when the weapon changes come about I will go back to a Rifle PPU, this time being the worlds first RayGun PPU Of Death :D All without drugs.

*me waits patiently for the weapon TL changes*

Q`alooaith
18-03-04, 00:01
Sniper and melee would work out pretty well, also take a pulse laser rifle to do damage as they close, then melee when they are on you can it might be enough to give an advantage, though you'd have less agl than a pure HC tank, but that's nothing..

Lathuc
18-03-04, 00:21
well i like my hacker/droner/driver/hc spy i can gun almost any vehicle except for the rhino but i can always drive it :cool: oh and i have a moveon which when i have reached almost cap i will put in with a zerk2 :cool:

amfest
18-03-04, 01:08
oh and i have a moveon

dern you .. i want one for my researching, constructing, combat vehicle driving, HC spy :( :( :( :(

But the vehicles are awesome . . .you make short work of most mobs fast :D I don't think hoverbots though are umm lol

Mr Friendly
18-03-04, 01:11
not only have both already been posted, but also i was the one who posted the melee spy one, & a friend of mine HAS a combat vehicle spy :p

amfest
18-03-04, 04:14
a combat vehicle spy is not a bad thing . .not a bad thing at all . . . and no one laughs when you're in your vehicle but the minute you're out and take out a cannon cause you're not in your vehicle . .is when everyone is like wtf! :D