PDA

View Full Version : More computer help

Xian
16-03-04, 15:22
Well, I posted a long time ago about how my computer was constantly locking up. It still does it, but a little less than before.

I've done a reinstall of Windows, removed an old sound card (which appeared to be causing the problems - but the computer still locks up regardless; just not as often) and formatted my main drive twice.

Before, I barely got past POST - now I just lock up randomly. Everything stops, no sound plays and I just have to reboot because I can't do anything. I've tried narrowing it down to three things : The fact that I don't use a firewall (and am therefore infected with nachi/msblast/loads of bloody worms daily), possible hard drive buggery or my current Windows install.

I can't use a free firewall such as ZoneAlarm because my computer locks up about three times as much due to TrueVector Service errors every 20 seconds. If I don't use a firewall, I can't update Windows because Msblast kills the generic process and prevents me from single clicking links to open new browser windows and getting the updates, copy and pasting, etc.

I've tried installing Windows on my second HDD so I could possibly use ZoneAlarm, but I get the same stupid errors that lock up my computer more, although I couldn't tell if the computer locked up by itself as I wasn't on it often enough.

So, I'm asking for some help as to how maybe update Windows and prevent these stupid lock ups.

Candaman
16-03-04, 15:23
check what software is booting up in windows by going to

Start Menu > Run

type "msconfig"

go to startup tab and disable everything and see if that helps

sparrowtm
16-03-04, 15:25
Go offline, clean your computer of viruses/worms/etc., do a reboot - repeat and rinse.

Then try to install the Firewall while offline. My advice on that. :)

Lafiel
16-03-04, 15:25
check ur cpu temperatures....

Xian
16-03-04, 15:33
Originally posted by sparrowtm
Go offline, clean your computer of viruses/worms/etc., do a reboot - repeat and rinse.

Then try to install the Firewall while offline. My advice on that. :)

I would do that, if I had a firewall that I knew would work without making my computer die a TrueVector-failing death. :p

check ur cpu temperatures....

54 normally, 57-60 when running NC + teamspeak. BIOS setting is 70 degree shutdown temperature.

sparrowtm
16-03-04, 15:38
Originally posted by Xian
I would do that, if I had a firewall that I knew would work without making my computer die a TrueVector-failing death. :p

Have you tried this one (http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny2?la=EN) yet ?

Xian
16-03-04, 15:45
Originally posted by sparrowtm
Have you tried this one (http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny2?la=EN) yet ?

Nope, but I think I shall. :)

sparrowtm
16-03-04, 15:50
Originally posted by Xian
Nope, but I think I shall. :)

IMO it's also more effective than ZoneAlarm.

If this issue is solved and your computer is still freezing, I'd check your RAM bars (dunno the correct English word). Faulty RAM often is the cause of such problems.

-FN-
16-03-04, 16:26
My CPU runs at 29-30 degrees. After several hours of NC I *might* hit 32.

When I was running at 45-50, I would lock up frequently and when I hit 55, forget it, I couldn't even play.

Details are here (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93186), but imho, it's worth looking at. Make sure all your fans and heatsinks are clean and if you have open fan spots in the back of your PC, add fans.

Xian
16-03-04, 19:31
Originally posted by -FN-
My CPU runs at 29-30 degrees. After several hours of NC I *might* hit 32.

When I was running at 45-50, I would lock up frequently and when I hit 55, forget it, I couldn't even play.

Details are here (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93186), but imho, it's worth looking at. Make sure all your fans and heatsinks are clean and if you have open fan spots in the back of your PC, add fans.

I really don't think it's that - but I'm adding fans at the end of the month, so I'll see then, I guess. That is unless I can stop the lock ups now. The lock ups don't just occur in NC, they can occur just browsing, playing CS, listening to music, etc.

I thought I might mention that the Tiny firewall refused to install due to some incredibly crappy reason - and my computer now likes locking up during scandisks. :p