PDA

View Full Version : Computer help :(

Revslad
15-03-04, 02:41
ok ive got my second computer running and everytime i exit nc or sometimes when im just simpley playing nc on that computer il get the blue screen and its gettin on my nerves, it only seems to happen when i play a game or try exit a game , all other times its ok when running non related gaming programs.

pc stats

amd athlon 1600+
512 sd ram (old i know)
geforce 4mx 440se

ive tried changing the paging memory thing to "
system managed size"

ive tried changing the gfx card(still blue screens)

havnt changed the memory cause i have none spare to try.

any ideas ... im at my wits end trying to find out how to fix it :(

in the blue screen it says its performing a memory dump btw

Revslad
15-03-04, 02:56
25 views and nobody has any advice :(

cRazy2003
15-03-04, 02:59
reboot :p

Revslad
15-03-04, 03:01
lmfao i need help to stop the blue screens nib :P

sw1tch
15-03-04, 03:04
is it an XP bluescreen?

If it is then I had a problem about memory dump on xp a while back, only thing that solved it was a new motherboard, think there was some compatability issues with my motherboard and my gfx card :/

I still get it occasionally tho.

maybe someone with more knowledge will come on soon, its too late for me...sleep here i come.

Lexxuk
15-03-04, 03:10
When you BSOD, you should get numbers at the bottom describing your crash. Go to microsofts web site, n search the knowledge base using them there numbers.

Ryuben
15-03-04, 03:14
or diable it in XP i know there is a way and ur PC keeps going along and just logs the problem :p

Revslad
15-03-04, 03:35
jus got the error , typed all the shit in microsoft webby and it was useless.

ive tried 2 diff gfx cards so i doubt its a gfx to mobo issue

Omnituens
15-03-04, 03:40
swap your ram sticks with some fresh ones, you might have a faulty module, thats if you have SD RAM lying around...

EDIT: Revs, you cant be 93/66 AND only have ** :p

ServeX
15-03-04, 05:35
press ctrl+alt+delete or alt+F4. If that dosen't work, bash the computer helplessly.

darknessfairy
15-03-04, 11:20
Blue Screen Of Death....Oh i remember those days so well... I think bob had that... driver conflicts or something, then again his advice for everything is that it is a driver conflict and you need to reinstall. Same advice, any problem. So O_o .... The worst is the Black Screen of No Hope. I hate those.

KuifJe
15-03-04, 12:01
Originally posted by Ryuben
or diable it in XP i know there is a way and ur PC keeps going along and just logs the problem :p

U can't disable them, just hide them ;)

The puter will always boot automatically after a BSOD wether u see it or not.

Sounds to me like a hardware conflict, the memorydump is standard procedure at BSOD so it isnt necesarily a memory problem.

Did u install new Nvidia drivers or any other drivers? Or has it never run stable at all? Theres tons of things that could be at fault tbh.

Dru Blood
15-03-04, 12:14
try reinstalling windows and using the drivers which were originaly supplied with the gfx card, nvidea drivers support all of there chipset range but are not specific to the card you bought.

friend of mine had this while he was using a sparkle gf3 using a fresh xp install and the drivers which came with his card we had one stable machine again :)

also what speed agp slot is your mobo and the speed of the card? voltage of the card and voltage of agp slot?

MjukisDjur
15-03-04, 12:32
the numbers usually say crap... What module if fucking up for you?

Candaman
15-03-04, 12:48
for winxp

Control Panel > System > Advanced

Click Settings in Startup + Recovery

Change bottom drop box from "Memory dump" to "none"

SynC_187
15-03-04, 12:53
Get latest GFX, sound and MB drivers and make sure they are signed.

These are nearly always driver issues.

LiL T
15-03-04, 18:43
The Windows term for this type of crash is a "blue-screen" because the Windows user interface disappears and a blue screen is displayed with diagnostic information in white text. When this happens, the operating system must be rebooted. This type of crash is normally caused by a device driver causing a STOP.

Taken from the web sounds like you need to update your drivers for all you hardware or get a new graphics and/or soundcard :(

Deep Blue Six
15-03-04, 18:50
Hi.

It could also be a heat Problem.

Maybe your CPU or the Grafik Card CPU is getting to hot.

Sheck your CPU Temperature and your cooling paste.

Greetz

Deep

Revslad
16-03-04, 03:59
ok ive checked the cpu temp and it idles at 34c and mobo temp of 25c. im running the latest mobo and gfx drivers il try the ones i got on the disc if i can find it lol

im still getting the error, + ive tried all thats been mentioned ,
t

thx for the help so far guys, keep the advice coming plz :)

Keiron
16-03-04, 04:16
Originally posted by Revslad
ok ive checked the cpu temp and it idles at 34c and mobo temp of 25c.
Hot damn. I wish I could keep my XP 1600 at 34ºC. Mine runs 40-60º C 8|

Revslad
16-03-04, 04:22
on my task bar i have the safly remove icon thing , whn i open i it displays my usb dsl modem , u think that may be it telling mme to reinstall it? cause it may be the problem?

Keiron
16-03-04, 04:25
If we are talking about http://sharpspark.com/~keiron//safty.JPG
Then, I get the same thing. Hasn't caused me any problems so far.

gostly
16-03-04, 04:47
http://www.angelfire.com/ill/pwns/mycputemp.gif

i wonder how accurate this program is...i dont think it can be very...or else my cpu would be on fire...wouldnt it?..

Keiron
16-03-04, 04:51
107.777...ºC is pretty darm hot.

gostly
16-03-04, 05:03
i changed it to celsius and it went to -125...wtf?...now it's saying that it's supercold instead of superhot :rolleyes:

whats a better temp program besides motherboard monitor?

SynC_187
16-03-04, 11:10
ok ive checked the cpu temp and it idles at 34c and mobo temp of 25c. im running the latest mobo and gfx drivers il try the ones i got on the disc if i can find it lol

im still getting the error, + ive tried all thats been mentioned ,
t

thx for the help so far guys, keep the advice coming plz :)

Either the room your machines in is freezing or your getting false readings.

Ideally an Athlon should run between 40 and 55 degrees C.

Revslad
16-03-04, 14:13
ok i got the blue screen when plugging in my modem after my net went down. mabe be the problem. ive reinstalled the drivers and such and jus waiting for summat to happen now

Omnituens
16-03-04, 18:07
is the modem connect via an onboard port or a PCI expansion card?

there might be a resource conflict

Revslad
16-03-04, 23:36
mobo usb port, humm mabe il put in a usb card and see what happens

Myrlin
16-03-04, 23:42
Right click on my computer and choose manage. Check your event log for errors that might have been written just before the crash.

-Demon-
17-03-04, 02:09
Maybe its a power issue if you getting it while plugging in a usb device.

Perhaps you need a powered usb hub to take off some of the strain off your psu.

Only other thing is to run a mem check program as dodgy mem sticks can cause random errors in random places.

greploco
17-03-04, 02:18
sounds like it might be drivers

for sure take out anything that you are not using

you are on XP or 2k right? if ur not, change that for sure

Revslad
17-03-04, 03:15
im on xp pro, could be a power problem, il disble everything i dont need and give it a try

more ideas plz :)

SynC_187
17-03-04, 11:03
im on xp pro, could be a power problem, il disble everything i dont need and give it a try

Was it an upgraded PC or a new one?

If it was upgraded its possible that your power supply isn't powerful enough.

The minimum for your processor is 300W.
If your running games with a more power hungry graphics card add ~50W.
If your using USB devices without their own power supplies add ~50W.
Therefore you really want a 400W PSU or above.

That would explain problems when using USB, as it draws quite a bit of extra power.

Sheba
17-03-04, 13:15

I have had a few games lockup, not load etc and this fixed the issue 90% of the time.

If you go to the start then run menu and type msconfig.
you can remove alot of excess bagage that WinXp loads that will messup alot of games.
When msconfig open's the new window go to startup and then you can either disable everything (this affects no critical programs running) however check to make sure your LAN is not affected I am running a Lynksys wireless and had to make sure it was enabled here. Its nice to be able to pick and choose exactly what I want to load. You will be amazed at the crap thats running that you don't really even need or use but it all slows down your system!

Hope this helps...if this works you can slowly start adding things back till you figure out exactly whats screwing up your system.

Maarten
17-03-04, 13:34
Most of the blue screens that happen have an error code at the bottom, sometimes even a filename.

The error code is something like 0x000000XX. Now can you tell me what the XX are on your blue screens?

And always disconnect all USB devices when troubleshooting.

If you are using an USB modem, ALWAYS use the "Safely remove hardware" before you disconnect it. Otherwise you can seriously screw something up.

Gives the computer any errors when the USB modem is disconnected?

CrazyMan
17-03-04, 13:46
The problem is in directx components concerning ur gfx/sound drivers vs compatibility with Athlon CPU's.

I used ot have AMD CPUs but after realizing all the crap with incompatibilty of drivers for some hardware i decided to switch to intel perminately.

Possible solutions for ur case - find the AMD/athlon modified (or supported) drivers for your GFX/sound card.

Also - who is the manufacurer of you GFX, you wrote it's GF 4 mx440SE...What I also noticed that the unbranded cheap GFX havemuch more problems with compatibilty issues than branded, like Asustech, Msi, Chaintech, etc. Try using native drivers (obtain the latest version from the manufacturer site i guess??)...

Whoever doesn't agree with my point, dont argue, I tested it, athlon is a decent cpu but it does have a lot incompatibilty issues with hardware and software.

And one last thing - blue screen in WinXP - only one problem that causes it and it's incompability....also maybe your GFX doesn't like your motherboard and vice-versa!!

If nothing helps - try installing another operating system^^ Try going back to win2k or even 98! use the native drivers from the cd for m/board, gfx and sound!! Use older version of DirectX! If all of these tricks don't help, then you might as well bin your PC :P

And get yourself a nice p4-3Ghz and i865 motherboard - and you will never have to worry about incompability...:lol:

SynC_187
17-03-04, 16:34
Originally posted by CrazyMan
The problem is in directx components concerning ur gfx/sound drivers vs compatibility with Athlon CPU's.

I used ot have AMD CPUs but after realizing all the crap with incompatibilty of drivers for some hardware i decided to switch to intel perminately.

Possible solutions for ur case - find the AMD/athlon modified (or supported) drivers for your GFX/sound card.

Also - who is the manufacurer of you GFX, you wrote it's GF 4 mx440SE...What I also noticed that the unbranded cheap GFX havemuch more problems with compatibilty issues than branded, like Asustech, Msi, Chaintech, etc. Try using native drivers (obtain the latest version from the manufacturer site i guess??)...

Whoever doesn't agree with my point, dont argue, I tested it, athlon is a decent cpu but it does have a lot incompatibilty issues with hardware and software.

And one last thing - blue screen in WinXP - only one problem that causes it and it's incompability....also maybe your GFX doesn't like your motherboard and vice-versa!!

If nothing helps - try installing another operating system^^ Try going back to win2k or even 98! use the native drivers from the cd for m/board, gfx and sound!! Use older version of DirectX! If all of these tricks don't help, then you might as well bin your PC :P

And get yourself a nice p4-3Ghz and i865 motherboard - and you will never have to worry about incompability...:lol:

Never seen any of this, except small issues with 3DNow on early Athlons.

The biggest compatability problem with XP is DirectX's handling of Creative SB Live sound cards with a Geforce graphics card.

For a prime example of this look at Hitman 2 technical forums. Coding shortcuts in the game, mixed with a conflict between the drivers made it one of the most un-reliable games ever.

If all drivers are up to date and correctly installed and corruption of XP is written off, then the problem is either heat or power.

Revslad
17-03-04, 16:43
ok ive removed 2 fans from my tower should cut the power drain a little , but temps gone up to mobo 30c and cpu 40c idle

im jus waiting for it to blue screen then il tell u the code i get at the botom.

thx

Revs

keep em coming cant be too many more things it could be ;)

Omnituens
17-03-04, 20:48
iirc, XP can turn off devices when they are not in use...

not sure how to do that in XP though, can do it in 2k though...