PDA

View Full Version : Impersonating GM Names - Perma Ban?

g0rt
14-03-04, 10:26
What happens if a new player, who has been going by a certain alias his whole online-life, comes into the game, and unintentionally starts a character name that seems to impersonate a GM, such as Carbonite. or Mercury?

How are new players supposed to know the names of GM's so they are sure not to impersonate it?

I could honestly see KK perma-banning some noob who is clueless to the fact that a GM has a similar alias to his :rolleyes:

Kenjuten
14-03-04, 10:31
If you're referring to Carbonite[ISW] in the recent online incident..that was a fake, as said by a GM who locked a topic detailing the fake one. D:

Overall though, it seems KK knows who's real and who's fake..

They just have to be made aware of suspicious behaviour.

Edit: Re-read the post...it's 3:31am

Honestly, I think the player would be pardoned.

It's really the impersonators that matter.

Archeus
Pretty sure it's written in the Terms of Use that you have to agree to before starting to play (you are supposed to read it).

Q`alooaith
If it's a new account, and the newbie does not pretend to be a GM or KK..

If I was to make a carb char I'm almost certain it'd be bad new's for me..

If little johny new player made a carb char and pretended to be a GM or KK, it'd be bad new's for him..

But if little johny didn't pretend to be a GM, just played like a normal player, he'd get told by people his misstake probably pretty soon so would reroll, no harm no foul... If he kept the char, dunno, renamed and given a slap on the wrist...

Leebzie
14-03-04, 10:33
Its unlikely, but not impossible, certainly with some GM names.

I didnt know any of the GM names when I started so I could have made the same error, id assume they'd judge what action to take depending on wether you'd gone around scamming and actually impersonating the GM, or just played innocently ?

Archeus
14-03-04, 10:35
he's not talking about having the name of say carbonite I think he is talking about this thread...

http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93858

darknessfairy
14-03-04, 12:11
You are allowed one name change per account, and after that any more are down to KK to decide whether it is deemed ok or not.

Impersonating a Gm is bad but when you are new to the game and don't know then it is an easy mistake to make. Then again they could be new to the game but have researched....and then pleaded innocent. No one has thought about that :p

___T-X____
14-03-04, 12:16
127/127 normally gives the game away

Ascension
14-03-04, 12:55
Originally posted by ___T-X____
127/127 normally gives the game away

Except when it comes to tlking in DM,ooc oh yeah and E-mail's:rolleyes:

dr.fish
14-03-04, 12:59
I dont think people should be banned for impersonating GM.

They just wanted to have some fun, and as long and they dont really hurt anyone they shouldn't get permaban.

I think the sentence is fucking harsh for some fun.....

MjukisDjur
14-03-04, 13:08
it is one of the clearest rules and yes, they should be banned...

Oath
14-03-04, 13:11
Impersonating a KK member of staff or GM is bad.

For pretty obvious reasons, we had an incident from some tit on uranus, claiming to work for kk, and leaking bdoy info O_o.

Suffice to say he was dealt with.

L3m0n
14-03-04, 13:13
impersonating and havin the same name is a total diff thing imo
if a new player to NC who has read the Terms of Use and who makes a char with the same name as a GM, it cant be his falt cos there is no list saying "you can't hve these names as youtr char names (and list all the GM names)
but if someone does they should get a free name change

Oath
14-03-04, 13:17
Originally posted by L3m0n
Impersonating and havin the same name is a total different thing 'imo'.

If a new player to NC who has read the Terms of Use, and who makes a char with the same name as a GM, it cant be his fault cos there is no list saying "you can't have these names as your char names (and list all the GM names)
but if someone does they should get a free name change

Fair point, so if these people can be verified as new players then a warning is fine?

Question is how can we confirm if indeed the player IS a noob and isn't some tit trying to cause trouble or just be an asshole.

JiNxY
14-03-04, 13:26
we can't but kk can.

im sure a new player with a very similar name to a GM will just be asked to supply a new name, and it will be changed. i doubt they would even get a warning.

Oath
14-03-04, 13:29
Originally posted by JiNxY
we can't but kk can.

im sure a new player with a very similar name to a GM will just be asked to supply a new name, and it will be changed. i doubt they would even get a warning.

No they can't.

KK can see when the account was created, and if its tied to the same email address as the other one or the player uses the same name address as he/she registered the other account with then sure.

But lets be honest, who the fuck is gonna be dumb enough to do that?

So KK have no way to check.

There's no way to distinguish between a real noob and a 'vet' with a second account unless they use the same personal details.

Leebzie
14-03-04, 13:29
Really... there should be some names that are blacklisted, so you cant create chars under those names.

If only there werent people prepared to do it in the first place :rolleyes:

Oath
14-03-04, 13:33
I wonder whatever happened to the notion of name filtering.

I remember a while back there was a fuss about people using things like 'sex me pls' as a name and other 'offensive' stuff, why wasnt it brought in and why cant the same be implemented to disallow names in the same cypher as gm/dev names or even player names.

Names should be unique, i dont see why someone can make 'oaths bitch' or 'oathssexslave' (<3 mike :D) or anything with my name in it.

It's not smart nor is it clever, and tbh it pisses me off.

Ulle
14-03-04, 14:06
There is a large difference between some player happening to have the same name as a GM and someone claiming/impersonating to be a Neocron Official, in the example given a person with the name Carbonite[ISW] is clearly trying to impersonate a GM as the ISW tag shows. Not only did he have the same name but he was claiming MJS had been killed and Neocron was shutting down. You can't seriously think that this would just be dismissed with a tiny slap on the wrists.

Also, if you take a look at the rules

4) You may not impersonate any NEOCRON Customer Support representative or other employee of Reakktor Media.

If you are suspect of someone impersonating then send in a support ticket and it will be sorted.

Anyway, Case Closed, as is this thread.