View Full Version : [brainport] neofrag TV

greploco
13-03-04, 03:15
put up large TV screens in restaurants that show/follow the action at an active neofrag deck, show which deck it is and the score in an overlay on the bottom right or left of screen

if there are no active fights, the screen could flip back to real time scenes of the neocron world

joran420
13-03-04, 03:17
cool idea...doubt they could implement it very easily though

greploco
13-03-04, 03:22
I can't be certain, but I'm fairly sure it would be not terrible difficult.

Placing a camera in a 3d environment is very easy, it's just a point of view - no different than the player point of view or drones point of view for droners. From there you just have to map it to a 2d surface in the game. As to the issues on that second part, well I can only guess.

Invertigo
13-03-04, 03:26
and then they have to stream it through to the screens for everyone to see..

but this does sound cool if it could be done

Connell
13-03-04, 03:27
Sounds cool to me

Shujin
13-03-04, 04:47
sounds very kewl. and it would also be great if they could display the scores on a screen so people could place bets

Leebzie
13-03-04, 09:20
The only issue with mapping the 3d point in another world to a 2d surface in another is that that zone also needs to be loaded (so people would have to have the neofrag zones being actively run on thier pc's too) as far as I understand.

However im sure streaming content would work.

greploco
13-03-04, 10:11
hmm, yeah - if what you were watching on the "tv" was actually a rendered scene. that would be the most direct way to do it.

what about simply having this 2d screen simply show a 2d feed? the rendering and compression would be done on the server (or a slave) and the screen would just show it.

Archeus
13-03-04, 10:11
They could take snapshots and stream them, wouldn't need the zone loaded on the client but more work for the server I Guess.

Or how about the venture warp stores taking snapshots of people out in the wilderness (dead/alive)

greploco
13-03-04, 10:12
ah, you said that

Dade Murphey
13-03-04, 10:14
I really like the idea of a Neofrag TV...would be a lot of fun to watch other people fighting...as long as it was set to active Decks...or like was said when all decks were empty it went to random shots of Wastes or around the city or something

Glok
13-03-04, 11:17
So we would have either a neofrag zone loaded into memory in addition to the zone we are in in the case of 3d rendered, or multiple small images being downloaded to our client in the case of 2d images.

It's a cool idea, but not even remotely practical.

greploco
13-03-04, 11:23
maybe it could just be in neofrag then

it could show the decks that are currently in use

neofrag is it's own zone --- that would compartmentalize it, that would work

it could also be in small bars that are their own zones, like pepper pub

Q`alooaith
13-03-04, 11:24
They could do it a diffrent way..

Simplfy the Neofrag deck textures for the screen, then just send drawn simple shape XXX, add texture YYY then add playertype ZZZ in animation type LLL with Weapon MMM..

so you don't have to load the neofrag deck...

Hell you could have the cam locked into a nice place on the neofrag deck, or scan an area, switches view's maybe, but not drawing the Neofrag deck, but drawning a simmliar copy, then adding player's fighting and such to that, which is far from impossible, you'd only need to add some data to the map your adding to..

Glok
13-03-04, 11:33
Originally posted by Q`alooaith
Hell you could have the cam locked into a nice place on the neofrag deck, or scan an area, switches view's maybe, but not drawing the Neofrag deck, but drawning a simmliar copy, then adding player's fighting and such to that, which is far from impossible, you'd only need to add some data to the map your adding to.. Yeah, that would probably work. The only extra data would then be player models and weapon effects.

Q`alooaith
13-03-04, 11:36
Originally posted by Glok
Yeah, that would probably work. The only extra data would then be player models and weapon effects.

Which would have to be reworked I'd think..

just imagine somone casting HAB and the light comming out of the screen..

a little extra work, but the effect would probably make Neofrag somthing people used.. maybe add a scorbord for top score's over the past day/week/month and such, and fix the score's so you get +1 for killing, not -1 for dying..