PDA

View Full Version : Launcher download speed

PivWan
12-03-04, 23:34
Hi,

one question about NC:BDoY features: will the launcher download speed (in case of broken files) be unlocked?

Most of us have xDSL connections, and watching the launcher slowly downloading the files is... boring :(

Katherine
13-03-04, 01:56
The problem with the launcher download is that it downloads the file from the patch server, which also hosts one or more of the world servers. It was never meant to be like a download server, so they set a cap on the download speed. There should be a separate server or something.

Dirus
13-03-04, 02:04
ftp://ftp.neocron.com/retailpatches/

I use that instead of downloading through the launcher.

Shujin
13-03-04, 04:43
Originally posted by Lupus

I use that instead of downloading through the launcher. yea, but the thing is they dont mention that anywhere; so how are people who are new to neocron or people who dont view the forums know about it?

There are so many patches if a new person tries to patch through the patcher only... man i feel sry for them ;P...

Also since ur a kewl guy and people listen to you, you should try to talk to the staff about putting a link to the forums on the autolauncher.

Zanathos
13-03-04, 04:59
you CAN go to the patch center and download them from there from the neocron launcher.....

Myrlin
13-03-04, 05:11
I think a 2nd link in the patch center to the ftp site would be adequate.

Perhaps a warning on the front page of the luancher that you should visit the patch center first would help too.

Seth Humphrey
13-03-04, 06:51
Originally posted by Myrlin
I think a 2nd link in the patch center to the ftp site would be adequate.

Perhaps a warning on the front page of the luancher that you should visit the patch center first would help too.

probably true...
but the problem is so old as neocron himself... :rolleyes:

PivWan
13-03-04, 11:03

I also use this one for patches, but in case of broken files?

Yesterday, i had the gamebase.dll which was broken (not so big to dl) but also 2 world files... And these ones were big...

steweygrrr
13-03-04, 13:14
The autopatcher uses gameworld bandwidth so limits you to 56k as if you had been connected to the game itself.

tomparadox
22-03-04, 06:31
hope this isent agansed the rules but was searching for a link i saw to the neocron game download and saw this. why dont they jest stick it on a spair server? or why not link it to the FTP server and download it fromt he FTP server? or jest turn up the DL speed on the server its alredy on, becuse yes, haveing to wait for it to DL all the broken files is a pain and boring as hell... oh and the broken files arnt on the FTP site, so they could jest add it somehow that only the auto patcher can get to it...

ServeX
22-03-04, 07:05

that wasn't his question though :P..will the launcher get an upgrade in terms of upload speed or should we depend on downloading at ultra slow speeds or inconveniencing ourselves and finding out about and then going to an FTP which 99% of the players don't even know about.

Whitestuff
22-03-04, 07:11
I can't get onto the neocron FTP. Someone mind filling me in on how that magical bit of magic is done?

naimex
22-03-04, 09:38
Originally posted by steweygrrr
The autopatcher uses gameworld bandwidth so limits you to 56k as if you had been connected to the game itself.

??? what 56 k modem are you on ??

through the neocronlauncher auto patcher (official original one)

I download patches at 20-25 kb/s out of 64 kb/s total..

netster
22-03-04, 09:50
you are behind a firewall? try ftp with passiv connection....
just tried the ftp, its online and working for me ;)

Katherine
22-03-04, 09:59
You all misunderstood his question. He was talking about broken files NOT patches. You all are going off about patches when he knows about the ftp server.

note he said "(in case of broken files)"

Lupus you get an F for comprehension :(

naimex
22-03-04, 10:02
Originally posted by Katherine
You all misunderstood his question. He was talking about broken files NOT patches. You all are going off about patches when he knows about the ftp server.

note he said "(in case of broken files)"

Lupus you get an F for comprehension :(

broken files are downloaded/fixed via downloads through the auto patcher.

the topic was Launcher download speed

launcher download speed = autopatcher download speed

Where did we go off topic ? ;)

Katherine
22-03-04, 10:26
When Lupus mentioned the ftp. The word ftp is mentioned in this thread 18 times(counting quotes). Now can you get the broken files through the ftp?

Some doofus even mentioned the patch center. Pivwan doesn't need the patches, he needs the individual files.

The trouble with some people is, instead of taking the time to read the question and understand it, they just make assumptions and try to be the first ones to give advice because they want to appear to be smart.

Take yourself for example. You assumed I said "going off topic" when I really said "going off"

Going off means that these people are talking alot about something. Or it can mean when someone is losing their temper.

I didn't say going off topic, therefore your entire above post is groundless. Hope to hear from you soon ;)

naimex
22-03-04, 10:30
I see your point regarding the FTP.

however I see nothing wrong with my statement about the offtopicness..

but nevermind that. no need for inneccessary posts.. (not too many anyways)

Katherine
22-03-04, 11:16
Where did I say we were going off topic?

Why did you ask me for proof of us going off topic when I myself didn't even say we were?

g0rt
22-03-04, 11:18
Originally posted by Shujin
yea, but the thing is they dont mention that anywhere; so how are people who are new to neocron or people who dont view the forums know about it?

There are so many patches if a new person tries to patch through the patcher only... man i feel sry for them ;P...

Also since ur a kewl guy and people listen to you, you should try to talk to the staff about putting a link to the forums on the autolauncher.

Exactly. Neocron is much too based on "figuring it out yourself".

If KK wants noobs to stay in the game they should make the launcher more user friendly. No ftp/etc.

Candaman
22-03-04, 14:21
Originally posted by Katherine
Where did I say we were going off topic?

Why did you ask me for proof of us going off topic when I myself didn't even say we were?

I would call this post off topic and use less to the original question

tomparadox
24-03-04, 01:00
sorry for takeing so long to reply my laptop keeps deleting the modem them the internet explorer wouldent work... but anyway even if it isent 56k maby higher its still slow as hell downlloading broken files, and 12 MB patches, i meen, half the times its faster to reinstall the game.