PDA

View Full Version : MOVEON in a monk...

Glok
12-03-04, 20:07
Yeah, I just popped my attack 2, partly to get TL3 heal in a very apu-biased hyb (for now) and stuck in a moveon. It's nice having 422 health self buffed (almost 500 ppu buffed) and still have good resists. It's also nice being able to go way out in the open to lure a grim chaser without wondering if I'll die before I get back to cover. Other little benefits are a bit more trans and resist force. Overall, I'm not missing the damage, which I would have lost anyways when I cap... I'm quite liking this setup. I can't wait till I can use shelter and damage boost. :o

PvP of course is an entirely different kettle of fish... :rolleyes:

SamuraiPizzaCat
12-03-04, 20:09
you can also use filter 2 if u got it
gawd knows a monk needs as much xray as he can get

Glok
12-03-04, 20:13
Oh yeah filter 2. I'll have to play around with that if I can get one. :)

Strych9
12-03-04, 20:16
My APU final loadout includes the moveon. :)

Glok
12-03-04, 20:18
Slick. I thought I was unique. :)

Shadow Dancer
12-03-04, 20:21
I thought monkies couldn't use FH2?

Strych9
12-03-04, 20:21
Well its exactly like you say. Drop a tad of damage for 3 more str (keeps me in all of the basic bones) and 3 more Con (allows you to use a filter hear 2 *once capped* without drugs). Trans is okay, health really helps...

Now on a hybrid it would be riskier, since you maybe need a psi imp to help fight the malus and the new obscene spell reqs... but on a pure APU or PPU, it makes sense (to me, at least, for what I want to do).

I tried justifying the PP Resistor AND moveon, but that was tough.

Q`alooaith
12-03-04, 20:25
if you stack your PPW high enough you can get pretty good stat's on spell's as a hybrid, a nice side effect is that you also have a huge pool..

Which make's swimming much more enjoyable.. :D

Glok
12-03-04, 20:28
I'm only going up to damage boost at TL29. If it turns out it's too hard to DB in combat, I'll drop that down to shelter at TL25. The only psi imp that I don't have that would do me any good is a DS, and I won't get one any time soon, and adding a exp psi 2 instead of the moveon is too much res force gimpage. If anything, I think a hyb benefits the most from a moveon, since he's not worried about capping modules like a pure.

mdares
12-03-04, 20:38
true; the added resists from the moveon instead of a exp psi con 2 can help the hybrid monkey alot... however one thing that i'm not too sure about is dmg on spells; that is with a moveon u lose out on 15 (or was it 10) ppw and the equivalent psu... that means run casting for beams (with ur tl 25 ppu setup) is pretty much outta teh question without a PA or somethin.

Glok
12-03-04, 20:40
I get 468% damage on my energy beam, and I can run cast it. :)

I know damage will drop slightly as I add to ppu, but only a bit (5%) Oh and the exp psi 2 is 10/10 psu/ppw.

Shadow Dancer
12-03-04, 20:41
Hybrids are good for pvm. :p

Jest
12-03-04, 20:41
Ive been playing with the idea of getting my monk a MoveOn myself, I just dont look forward to doing that damnable epic yet again. I swear I did the PP epic 5 times already. :mad:

Candaman
12-03-04, 20:43
Originally posted by Jest
Ive been playing with the idea of getting my monk a MoveOn myself, I just dont look forward to doing that damnable epic yet again. I swear I did the PP epic 5 times already. :mad:

good thing u only have to do the bio epic to get the moveon then isn't it

Glok
12-03-04, 20:44
/me hides...

I bought my moveon for 2 mill and 23 rare parts. :p

Shadow Dancer
12-03-04, 20:44
lol^^

And you don't even hafta do the whole epic.

Jest
12-03-04, 20:47
Originally posted by Candaman
good thing u only have to do the bio epic to get the moveon then isn't it I know Im just saying Ive done the PP epic so much I cant stand it any more. Im about that close with the BT epic also since Ive done that one at least 3 times. :p

Candaman
12-03-04, 20:50
well i've walked down my road so many frickin times i don't think i wanna do the bio epic again!!!

Carinth
12-03-04, 21:23
I don't understand why monks use the moveon, the only advantage it gives is being able to use a filter heart2. The pp resistor is so much better. It gives tons more points in both con and str. My hybrid is the reverse, and as far as I know I'm the only one. I only have enough apu for normal energy halo, apu 71, the rest is ppu, up to holy antishock level. I alternate between resistor and exp controller3. With the resistor my defenses skyrocket, I can even survive fairly well in pvp. With the exp3 my ppu abilities jump up, even my apu gets a lil faster, but of course piercing devestates me then.

Shadow Dancer
12-03-04, 21:26
Originally posted by Carinth
I don't understand why monks use the moveon, the only advantage it gives is being able to use a filter heart2. The pp resistor is so much better. It gives tons more points in both con and str.

Don't forget moveon gives +18 health. Also, energy and fire is rarely above 50 natural for an apu, so it's not like you get as many points as a tank would from using PP chip. Not to mention, the x-ray/poison from FH2.

And apus don't really NEED that +15 to energy IMO.

But I could be wrong. Maybe PP is better........

Judge
12-03-04, 21:27
Originally posted by Glok
I'm only going up to damage boost at TL29. If it turns out it's too hard to DB in combat, I'll drop that down to shelter at TL25. The only psi imp that I don't have that would do me any good is a DS, and I won't get one any time soon, and adding a exp psi 2 instead of the moveon is too much res force gimpage. If anything, I think a hyb benefits the most from a moveon, since he's not worried about capping modules like a pure.

I'm setting up for a similar setup with my hybrid.... how is it working for you? PvM and PvP?

Glok
12-03-04, 21:32
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
Don't forget moveon gives +18 health. Also, energy and fire is rarely above 50 natural for an apu, so it's not like you get as many points as a tank would from using PP chip. Not to mention, the x-ray/poison from FH2.Exactly my thoughts on the matter. MOVEON also gives 8 resist force, which helps with piercing. Like I said, I have acceptable resists and over 400 health, almost 500 health if a ppu is around. When was the last time you saw a monk with 500 health? :p

Glok
12-03-04, 21:34
Originally posted by Judge
I'm setting up for a similar setup with my hybrid.... how is it working for you? PvM and PvP? I'm only base 91 psi atm but PvM is great, I deal damage like a mofo and I can use the level 1 buffs and tl 3 heal. PvP I haven't fared so well, but I can't use shelter yet, so that may change. The reason for this is I went pure APU up to the level I wanted. Now I'm just sticking points in ppu as I level.

edit: oops double post. :o

Q`alooaith
12-03-04, 21:54
Originally posted by Carinth
My hybrid is the reverse, and as far as I know I'm the only one. .

When Q'alooaith was a PPU (going back a fair bit now) I leveled up by putting just enough APU for the holy energy lance, I found being an APU a little more fun so reroll to APU pure..

Now my going though MC5 again, though I aim to get Q to epic last mission level and then leave, do the epic, and give the reward to my HC PE alt, then reroll to tangent and do the same again, then reroll to probably crahn as a pure PPU, maybe enough APU for energy lance, it's just a cool spell effect..

Carinth
12-03-04, 22:02
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
Don't forget moveon gives +18 health. Also, energy and fire is rarely above 50 natural for an apu, so it's not like you get as many points as a tank would from using PP chip. Not to mention, the x-ray/poison from FH2.

And apus don't really NEED that +15 to energy IMO.

But I could be wrong. Maybe PP is better........

Resistor gives +15 to energy/fire/force/xray i think thats it. That doesn't mean you need to keep +15 in energy, you can then lom your energy down and move to another stat. I did the math once, and you end up with more points to distribute in con using a pp resistor then a moveon. You certainly get tons more force res then otherwise possible. The only benefit of the moveon is the +str/+con, it lets you use advanced foot i think, and of course the filter2. I never tested with a filter2, so maybe that would give enough points under con to make it worthwhile. But just comparing resistor and moveon, the resistor gives you more points.

Strych9
12-03-04, 22:15
Well lets see:

(M.O.V.E.O.N.)-CPU M-C+6 H-C+6 TRA+6 FOR+8 HLT+18 STR+3 CON+3

PP Resistor chip FOR+15 FIR+15 ENR+15 XRR+15

moveon- the Tra + 6 is a small advantage. For +8... if you assume youwould have points in transport at all, then those two combine to free up decent points in force. The Str enables you to wear all basic bones even if you have exp psi and adv nerves in. Not saying that matters much, but it is *AN* advantage. +18 in HLT is huge- combined with the extra CON results in many more hit points. Extra Con allows for FH2, and if you plan on speccing poison, thats an extra 5 poison and 2 xray from that heart vs FH1.

PPR- Force frees up str, but str isnt needed too much anyway except for trans... which moveon gives trans. So this is just straight force, no real extra points from this. The FIR, ENR, and XRR all certainly help, but for me (and this is just me) I didnt plan on speccing any points to ENR anyway. Based on where I will be playing, FIR and POR are my main two. So in that sense the FIR is nice.

I think the use of these two chips is REALLY based on how you plan to spec your Str and Con. I can see both having big pluses, but for me the moveon is more useful.

Also depends if you are PPU or APU. PPU with self cast holy deflector and holy shelter...

Another side note- if you have a moveon already from a diff char, the moveon is infinitely more useful to a brand new monk than the ppr.

Glok
12-03-04, 22:23
Moveon + filter 2
http://sighost.techstarcomputers.net/sigs/moveonfilter2.jpg

PPR + str heart 2
http://sighost.techstarcomputers.net/sigs/resistor.jpg

Quite close I must admit, I guess it would be a matter of preference.

Carinth
12-03-04, 23:20
I guess it mainly comes down to how much health you have, if your health is over 75, then each point you lom back down would give ya 3 or so con points. I believe my health is 74, tho i'd hafta check. I know for a fact that when i did the math I ended up with lots more free points in con using the pp resistor. As was said it's prolly due to setup and preferences. Resistor works wonders for me, my resists go from average to super. Which is great, even as a pure ppu. Debuffings happen everytime you turn around, you need to rely on your natural resists sometimes.

Glok
12-03-04, 23:44
Yeah, it would depend entirely on how much health you spec, and your belt of choice, and to a smaller extent how much ath you spec. Also whether you plan on speccing any poison.

mdares
12-03-04, 23:51
hum i had the same damg on e-beam... wuts ur RoF? cuz for mine at around 92/min w/o capped int; my run cast was erratic... it's only noticible in rough pvp tho... like when ur fighting PEs... not sure... keep us updated tho how u do with a shelter :D

btw: do u wear apu PA?

Glok
12-03-04, 23:56
My psu is at 170 something I think (I poke TL84 with imp glove also) (base 72 int, I think). I've been trying to mess up my run cast, and the only time I fizzle is on a newly acquired target, almost as if there is an invisible reticle. 8|

And yeah, I'm wearing APU PA until I have the base ppu for shelter, then it comes off.

mdares
13-03-04, 00:00
ah ic... i dunt wear pa on my hyb setup which might be why my run cast is sorta borked... =\

Glok
13-03-04, 00:01
Oh no, I did the tests without PA. It wouldn't mean much if I could runcast with PA when I won't be wearing it in a real fight. :)

The only variable not counted in the tests is the amount of ppu I will have at cap. But I don't think it will affect runcast much since the penalty is only 5%.

Krunky
13-03-04, 00:11
....Not to mention you can still run after GRin with a full load of psi modules and 100 psi booster 3's w/o gimping resist force...as a PPU I love my MOVEON and FH2...who needs a PPR when you are already hard to kill.

Judge
13-03-04, 00:36
Woot... I just went leveling on my hybrid monk and managed to kill a tank who was a chev higher than me, and without shelter (he was using a plasma cannon) so hybrids pwn. :D

Glok
13-03-04, 00:40
Or the tank sucked. :p

To be fair, I have got a couple kills, and all the PvP I've been involved in so far has been me being jumped while I'm hunting. So, considering no shelter yet, I guess that is respectable.

The real test will be neofrag when I'm capped though. :)

Judge
13-03-04, 19:03
Hey Glok what do you think of this setup for LE'd PvM? It probably the way that I will be going. I left one slot free for LE and left 100 points in Int because I most probably won't be getting past 80 int.

Hybrid setup (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gibsnag/hybrid.JPG)

Any help would be appreciated.

Glok
13-03-04, 19:23
That looks pretty good to me. The heavy fire belt is 95 int tho. Overspeccing APU is a good idea. I might overspec APU also, depends how my RoF on energy beam is when I cap psi. It's a trade off though. You get slightly more damage% on modules and a larger psi pool by speccing ppw to 75 base, but you lose out on RoF in a big way. You might find you drain your mana pool too quickly, and have to chug boosters like a freak. I have 300 pool atm on my monk, and even that is gone in 10 seconds.

I'd say that's a good setup you have, but you'll really have to test to be sure.