PDA

View Full Version : OT: Real power armor invented

Archeus
12-03-04, 14:40
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3502194.stm

Exoskeleton. Pretty impressive, although DARPA invented it so odds on it won't see in commercial applications for years.

Forget My Name
12-03-04, 15:49
not impressed...

What are the long term problems of having more weight on your spine, specifically your lower back, than you can handle?

Sure you dont feel it in your legs, but the weight doesnt magically vanish on your back.

Its like, if you had no sense of touch, sure you can last longer in fights and get fucked up, but you still lose blood, even without your knowledge, so your fine one second, than you drop dead due to massive loss of blood you didnt realise was happening.

Cool idea, but does DARPA say anything about back braces to support the leg mechanism?

Dribble Joy
12-03-04, 15:56
This is the third thread about this thing, this week.

It doesn't load the back bone, that's the whole point, there is no loading on the users body, the mechanism is self supporting.

Forget My Name
12-03-04, 16:00
then that is cool by me.

Can we buy one on ebay yet?

+1

Shujin
12-03-04, 16:00
purpose-built combustion engine built into it.
price of gas is about to rise:rolleyes:

Kenjuten
12-03-04, 17:52
Shujin, if I remember right, they're looking into more qualified and better quality powers than that. =P

They'll need it too, with the future plans they have for it.

StryfeX
12-03-04, 18:07
*Dreams of cold fusion "battery" packs* :D

That's pretty damn cool.

--Stryfe

Zanathos
12-03-04, 18:12
alternate fuel sources are in the works, from electricity (which is sort of already around) to hydrogen, to methane, etc...

Judge
12-03-04, 19:05
Yay I love technology like this. :D

I hope to see a real set of Powerarmour someday. :D

Leebzie
12-03-04, 22:17
If only it looked a lot cooler... (more armor plating would do for that, and hey, with the powered suit, ud be able to carry it)

But its the start, and everything has to start sumplace :D

Kenjuten
12-03-04, 22:32
Indeed.

It will get better soon, don't worry. :cool:

Hackenstein
12-03-04, 22:44
Come on guys think. This is what is being reported. That means they are 2 years ahead of the reporting on this project. Its US funded research. If this is public you know they have a private reserch going on somewhere. If the muscular stucture can support the weight of a 70 lb backpack. I wonder how much steel reinforced kevlar it would hold. The next generation of this is going to be powered armor. Problem will be getting it to move in a warfare environment. Without losing Vield of vision, sound and ease of movement. Give it a year or 2 and the (insert super power)US supersoldier will be a reality.

Shujin
12-03-04, 23:09
actually alternate fuel source already exists, but its on the moon.

helium³

Marx
12-03-04, 23:12
Originally posted by Shujin
actually alternate fuel source already exists, but its on the moon.

helium³

To the moon!

Kenjuten
12-03-04, 23:15
Bang! ZOOM! :D

Sorry, had to chime in.

/RalphKramden