PDA

View Full Version : Rail Gun

cRazy2003
09-03-04, 20:37
yo all,
ive been wondering why doesnt this game have a rare rail gun? at least give another gun for low tech spies/PE's and tanks to use. its a bit like a futuristic artillary cannon firing this depleated uranium slug, so id classify it as low-tech,
at least lowtech pes and spies wont have to only use paineaser, and liberator and wyatt earp, and maybe tanks can have another low tech weapon to, it would also be a long range and naturally in all varieties, pistol, rifle and spy. so every weapon class would get another new gun, mmMmm
so wot do u think?

Tratos
09-03-04, 20:41
I want one :eek:

-fires it- -UDGE- ( as it twats off an enemy)

'Ave IT!!!!!!

:D

~Tratos

steweygrrr
09-03-04, 20:44
Originally posted by Tratos
I want one :eek:

-fires it- -UDGE- ( as it twats off an enemy)

'Ave IT!!!!!!

~Tratos

I like that thought :D

Candaman
09-03-04, 20:44
i think this isn't quake ^^

DestructionUK
09-03-04, 20:45
as long as the rare pool gets cleaned first :D

cRazy2003
09-03-04, 20:49
Originally posted by Candaman
i think this isn't quake ^^

it isnt just quake, theres even a real railgun in real life, ive also seen about 20+ games which have a type of rail gun, including the latest james bond film :p

Eddie
09-03-04, 20:49
Plus.. this could be AoE for rifle spies!

But then again.. this rocket launcher style thingymabob could also be classed as "heavy"?

Eddie

Delloda
09-03-04, 20:53
Originally posted by cRazy2003
it isnt just quake, theres even a real railgun in real life, ive also seen about 20+ games which have a type of rail gun, including the latest james bond film :p

isn't te real rail gun the size of a small battle ship?

Myrlin
09-03-04, 20:53
I thought the idea behind rail guns was just a single bullet that was propelled super fast by electo magnets or something. The speed of the bullet allowed it to demolish anything that got in its way, including your human/mob target. It can't fire fast because it has to recharge between shots.

So to emulate that you'd need a gun that would shoot a single bullet over a long distance doing a huge amount of damage and it should take a while to reload.

Isn't that basically what the SH does now? O_o

Candaman
09-03-04, 20:54
Originally posted by Delloda
isn't te real rail gun the size of a small battle ship?

close but i think its only mounted on warships lol

cRazy2003
09-03-04, 20:56
Originally posted by Myrlin
I thought the idea behind rail guns was just a single bullet that was propelled super fast by electo magnets or something. The speed of the bullet allowed it to demolish anything that got in its way, including your human/mod target. It can't fire fast because it has to recharge between shots.

So to emulate that you'd need a gun that would shoot a single bullet over a long distance doing a huge amount of damage and it should take a while to reload.

Isn't that basically what the SH does now? O_o

yea but make it cannon, rifle and pistol form for everybody
also give it some uber shooting and reloading effects, a little shorter range then sniper, bit less damage to but quicker reloading speed and quick aiming for a good pvp/dueling weapon and it'll own

Alashandra_D.
09-03-04, 20:57
Remember that if a human was to fire a Railgun, they would be liquified by the kickback. ;)

-Alash

Tratos
09-03-04, 20:58
Originally posted by Alashandra_D.
Remember that if a human was to fire a Railgun, they would be liquified by the kickback. ;)

-Alash

NOW I REALLY WANT ONE!!!!!!

~Tratos

cRazy2003
09-03-04, 21:00
railgun on google

http://mac.uptime.org/railgun.jpg

LoL

yea give it loads of recoil to naturally but its the third millenium so i wud of thought they wud of least of had some form of one man usable railgun, its more or less a mini artillary cannon someone can hold, aceept it fired a large slug and is more colourful :p

Psyco Groupie
09-03-04, 21:02
rail gun usualy implies - one shot kill .. well um SH ?!

nail gun maybe, but the knock effect is so lame and would stop rezz

Myrlin
09-03-04, 21:04
Rail gun info found by searching google.

http://home.insightbb.com/~jmengel4/rail/rail-intro.html

I readk through it a bit. The biggest drawback would be the size of the powersource necessary to use it. If you want it implemented then you should require the user to carry around batteries weigh a hell of a lot.

Heavyporker
09-03-04, 21:14
Yeah, rail guns been around at least a century.

problem is the energy required for it and the structural stresses on the electrified rails (the round is propelled by the electromagnetic arcing between the rails - and bullets aren't the best shape to be propelled by a railgun - its more like a fletchette encased in a sheet of metal, so it can rest on both rails and let the current propell it) AND of course, the fucking massive kickback.

Railguns are the farthest thing from hand held you can get. Only way to get that kind of power is to make it big and long - if you had a handheld, you'd barely be able to fire needles. You know ohm's law? That's the thing - you're relying on the rails themselves to conduct the electricity for the current to propel the rounds. And the power is only as strong as the rails are big and conductive. To have the oomph to shoot rounds strong enough to peirce tanks (aka rhinos or bradleys) you'd need rails the size of train ties, about 20 meters long.

Really, you want gauss guns for for something to be hand-holdable. The story is supposed to be different for gauss guns - they rely on a coil to give rounds their oomph. Again, it'd only be essentially needle-sized rounds you could fire, but it'd be much less brutal to use in the first place, and less power needed.

Leebzie
09-03-04, 21:19
Of course we could get vehicle mounted ones...

Or just the small warships themselves would be nice :D

Was the gauss rifle in Fallout 2 a railgun ? ... I forget its description.

cRazy2003
09-03-04, 21:25
yea the gauss gun and railgun are fairly similar in that the bullet or projectile doesnt propell itself and relies on electricity and electromagnets for propullsion, but good point porkeh, it doesnt have to be a railgun just something similar, anyways there was one in james bond so it HAS to be true :p

VetteroX
09-03-04, 21:26
actually i dont think railguns would have a kickback... it doesnt uses exposives, it propells a projectile with magnetic coils... i dont think the projectile even touches th sides, it "hangs" in the magnetic field, so why would there be kick back?

Myrlin
09-03-04, 21:28
Originally posted by cRazy2003
yea the gauss gun and railgun are fairly similar in that the bullet or projectile doesnt propell itself and relies on electricity and electromagnets for propullsion, but good point porkeh, it doesnt have to be a railgun just something similar, anyways there was one in james bond so it HAS to be true :p

Which james bond movie? I don't remember seeing one in any of the movies I've seen.

cRazy2003
09-03-04, 21:32
Originally posted by Myrlin
Which james bond movie? I don't remember seeing one in any of the movies I've seen.
i think he calls it a depleted uranium rifle or something, but in other words its a rail gun, the guy with the diamonds stuck in his face has it, and when theres the hovercraft chase at the start of the film he uses it once.

Morris
09-03-04, 21:38
Originally posted by VetteroX
actually i dont think railguns would have a kickback... it doesnt uses exposives, it propells a projectile with magnetic coils... i dont think the projectile even touches th sides, it "hangs" in the magnetic field, so why would there be kick back?

Actually it will recoil for the same reason as a regular gun, or a rocket engine -- Newton's laws of action and reaction. If you push on something with 100 units of force, it pushes right back at ya with the same 100 units.

JackScratch
09-03-04, 22:16
OK, lets see

Recoil - can be accounted for by a variety of current recoil absorption systems, not to mention the effect of mass (Im thinking a vehicle mounted weapon here.)

Power - At our current rate of electical storage advancement, by the time this game takes place you could power a battleship with something the size of a 9 volt battery.

As discussed, a rail gun was supposed to use electro magnetic current ( much like the monorail at Disney, coincidence, I think not) to hurl a projectile near relativeistic speeds. It wouldnt so much be an impact as a nice neat hole, melted in the target, any target, the burm behind the target, the house 3 miles behind the burm, the people in the house, etc etc etc.

Your depleted uranium round would not be the most desireable, you would be more likely to use small metal (aluminum, steel, or titanium) shards, very small. The problem this weapon has to overcome is inertia. For the same reason we now primarily use near 22 calibur round versus the 50 calibur rounds everyone so dearly loves. Far easier to get a small grain weight projectile to go realy fast with a very flat tragectory.

Moist importantly, this game is a work of complete fiction, if I had to compare, I would say that the Silent hunter is a railgun, same effect, and it sure looks the part. I find it most ammuseing that the weapons in this game have more effect on what they are capeable of than the rounds they fire. IRL, the round doesnt generaly care what it is being fired out of, short of a flawed firearm. a 308 does about the same thing no matter what it is fired from with the posible exception of barrel length and accuracy, however most rifles that fire 308 make maximum use of bullet acceleration period, so about the only difference from gun to gun is how well the scope is mounted.

Kal
09-03-04, 22:28
go play quake 3, its called silent hunter in this game

cRazy2003
09-03-04, 22:53
Originally posted by Kal
go play quake 3, its called silent hunter in this game

a sniper has a self projectile bullet, a rail type gun is a gun which fires a projectile, i could be a bit like a PvP version of a sniper, or a type of long range weapon all classes could use

JackScratch
09-03-04, 22:56
Crazy, your post was a random collection of words, if it had a meaning, it has completely escaped me.

Kal
09-03-04, 23:03
jacks said it all tbh :p

DonnyJepp
09-03-04, 23:10
RoG is a railgun

cRazy2003
09-03-04, 23:59
Originally posted by JackScratch
Crazy, your post was a random collection of words, if it had a meaning, it has completely escaped me.

yea well i just woke up so i was hoping most could understand it, and to jonny depp, wtf o_O

Scikar
10-03-04, 00:04
I'd rather have a shoulder mounted rail gun than a Devourer.

JackScratch
10-03-04, 00:21
OK, JonnyDepp, do you know what the "R" in RoG stands for? It stands for ray. Solid objects, AKA a projectile, do not travel in rays. Light travels in rays, liquid travels in streams. A Ray of God shoots a light beam, makeing it completely unlike a rail gun, which I described in an earlier post in this thread.

Crazy, sorry I nailed you, everyone has off days. No blood no foul.

El Barto
10-03-04, 00:23
I vote that WE SEX CRAZY, oh and ur idea seems good to.

cRazy2003
10-03-04, 00:36
Originally posted by El Barto
I vote that WE SEX CRAZY, oh and ur idea seems good to.

omg barto sex0r

Omnituens
10-03-04, 00:42
i think that a rail gun would class as high tech myself, in order to control the kickback on such a weapon you will need some sort of inertial dampering device, and with using magnets to fire the projectile, there is no propellant, similar to the high-tech weapons. Only thing linking it to low-tech is the fact there is a solid projectile.

Duder
10-03-04, 00:44
You could class anything to High Tech, as everything would need some technical knowledge or items to operate, repair and maintain etc etc, give Lowtech users a muddy stick and a stick that burns good with fire, i think that would be good enough for them. Also the armor is pretty high tech, why is there no TC req? I think Lowtech users should only be able to wear animal fur and skins.

How about we set TC reqs on citycoms, as citycom are really high tech piece of equipment and i dont think lowtech users deserve that. How come Lowtech users can operate door bells, as the door bells obviously run on HIGH TECH CIRCUITS AND ELECTRICITY.

Omnituens
10-03-04, 00:49
well... the pain easer, libby and wyatt earp are still using methods developed in the 1900's ... thats pretty low-tech

how many armies are running around with EPR's?

it wouldnt actually suprise me if there is some law against the use of energy weapons in warfare...

cRazy2003
10-03-04, 00:50
Originally posted by Omnituens
how many armies are running around with EPR's?

the small army in my head :p

JackScratch
10-03-04, 00:51
I believe that in the context of this game, high tech refers to the presence of electronics for the weapon to function at all. Most projectile weapon can operate without electronics, the rail gun being a clear notible exception. While an uzi has no problem mowing down crowds without so much as a static spark.

There are no rules in the Geneva convention ( we will call that the laws of war) that say anything against the use of energy wepons, they are simply impractical at this point in modern warfare.

Duder
10-03-04, 00:52
Eh just give me a nerf gun, im sure it doesnt need TC reqs....

Also doesnt the Pistols (Wyatt Earp, Tangent Wasteland Eagle) say something in the description about its got some funky new way of spitting slugs our of its anus? Doesnt that mean its some radical new high tech equipment that obviously should have TC req and be made Spies only?

^^^^

Yeah Jack i think ill agree on that.

Not that a mind a new toy.

JackScratch
10-03-04, 00:56
Thats the funny part, all of the lowtech weapons are modeled on modern weapons. In fact, they use NATO rounds, which I find most amuseing, they even use the exact NATO designations. Shame they don't behave like IRL rounds, now that would be cool.

I also find it amuseing thatb they moved all the Gats to LowTech, when they are clearly HighTech. They fire powder propellant ammo, modern cartridge stile, but they are clearly mini guns, requireing electricity to operate the motor that rotates the barrel asembly. About as Hightech as you can get. Real Gatlin guns have to be hand cranked, and I just can't and doint see that here.

Duder
10-03-04, 00:59
Mind describing how uh cool it would be?

JackScratch
10-03-04, 01:02
Cool, like CounterStrike, that's how cool. Course then you get the hackers and the cheaters. Imagine a game with the combat system of CS but the RPG of NC, now that would truely be cool.

cRazy2003
10-03-04, 01:03
afaik all the high tech weapons on this game shoot some kind of energy, some weapons maybe not be official high tech weapons but thats the way the game is, id also make it lowtech so tanks can have there own personal low tech cannon (alongside the moonie :rolleyes: ) and its another low tech weapon for the lowtech pistol/ rifle users which they do need as its very limited atm

Omnituens
10-03-04, 01:04
Tangent Wasteland Eagle description
The Pistol resembles archaic firearms in a lot of ways. A single bullet is loaded into the firing chamber where a hammer propels the projectile when the trigger is pulled

based on current tech. description is wrong though the 'hammer' sets of a small charge at the base of the projectile, and that propels the bullet. the recoil generated from this loads the next bullet into the firing chamber.

JackScratch
10-03-04, 01:07
Well, the Gats were originaly HighTech, they were moved to LowTech by consumer demand. I recognise this game as a work of fiction, and I leave these choices to the devs, I am merely speculating on the IRL comparisons. They can run this game any way they want, if it gets bad enough in my opinion I will quit playing it. I have no doubt that thier market testing will show me being replaced by at least 2 if not more new consumers. Kudos to them, it is a business after all.

Omni - you are very correct, this definition is absurd, but you are nit picking. Pretty funny though "hammer propells the projectile". Certainly not what they ment, but definately what they said.

Omnituens
10-03-04, 01:13
yeah, but if a spring-loaded hammer just hits the bullet, it would just fall out of the barrel :wtf:

hang on, the Wyatt earp does do that, so maybe the description for the TWE should be added to the WE story :D

Clive tombstone
10-03-04, 01:26
I think I made the suggestion for this weapon befor but everyone crapped on it :( . Im still all for it. Personally, I still want my Mechshttp://www.neocronnetwork.de/gallery/extra/mechbot.jpg

How bout this we PUT a Rail gun on the mech? Sound gewd?:D

Dribble Joy
10-03-04, 02:52
Why would a rail gun magically produce a huge amount of recoil?
f00ls.

Only if the projectile was propelled at a truely silly velocity would there be un controllable recoil. It's all about physics.

A railgun is mind numbingly simple, they can be any size, from battle ship main gun, to pistol and smaller.

Two metal rails, parallel to each other.
A conducting particle/burret is placed across the two rails.
A high current (not voltage), is allowed to run from one rail to the other via the round.
The magnetic feild generated around the rails acts on the electrical current in the conducting particle.
By the laws of magnetism and the left-hand rule, the round is forced along the rails.

The main problem with this is storing the large amounts of energy to accelerate the round within a short distance.
Capacitors are large and heavy, portable rail guns would need these in addition to the batteries to charge them.
Also the high current at the point of contact between the round and the rail would cause the rail, the round or both to vaporise/melt. Though in some cases this has been allowed to happen. The p.d. across the rails is increased to the point where the gases between them ionise and conduct, as with a normal round. The forces as with the solid rail gun re still used and the gases are pushed along in the same way. White hot gas being flung out the end.

Sound familiar? That's right, it's a plasma gun. Which I believe are allready in game.

cRazy2003
10-03-04, 02:56
yea this is only a game dont forget lol

JackScratch
10-03-04, 04:03
Originally posted by Dribble Joy
Why would a rail gun magically produce a huge amount of recoil?
f00ls.

OK, I dont know which one so sue me, but one of Newtons laws of motion is "for every action, their is an equal and oposite reaction." As stated in one of my earlir posts, the entire point of the rail gun was originaly those silly velocities you were talking abpout, otherwise, just use the standard propellants, and dont bother with the rail concept. My understanding is that rail guns have actualy been built, though they are quite large, for the very reasons you mentioned, however as also previously stated in this thread, by me, the energy source problems will easily have been solved, IRL, by the time this game is supposed to be takeing place, if the evelution of power storage continues at or near its current rate.

Generic
10-03-04, 04:06
ok, after reading all about physics and stuff like that, i'm gonna try and build my 0wn railgun :D

Anyway, to say sumthing usefull, pretty good reason why they went with the SH instead of a railgun would seem to me, when shooting the SH you can stay quite unnoticed.
A supercool-pinkcolored-flashing-railgun-beam would kinda giva away the position where ur sniping from, thus fooking up the whole concept of sniping ..... :eek: omg ....

Organics
10-03-04, 04:08
Originally posted by Clive tombstone
I think I made the suggestion for this weapon befor but everyone crapped on it :( . Im still all for it. Personally, I still want my Mechshttp://www.neocronnetwork.de/gallery/extra/mechbot.jpg

How bout this we PUT a Rail gun on the mech? Sound gewd?:D

What the FUCK is that in the pic??? :eek: Looks evil, one of the DOY bots? Or what?

It's fucking HUGE lol :D

JackScratch
10-03-04, 04:14
Originally posted by Generic
ok, after reading all about physics and stuff like that, i'm gonna try and build my 0wn railgun :D

Anyway, to say sumthing usefull, pretty good reason why they went with the SH instead of a railgun would seem to me, when shooting the SH you can stay quite unnoticed.
A supercool-pinkcolored-flashing-railgun-beam would kinda giva away the position where ur sniping from, thus fooking up the whole concept of sniping ..... :eek: omg ....

Try reading some of the posts before responding to them. The rail gun is a projectile weapon. If you can't say something inteligent, don't say anything at all.

Clive tombstone
10-03-04, 04:19
THAT, was "supposidly" a Mech proto type (Which I want to Own EVER soo much:D ) but sadly I think it was scrapped, but a GM might be able to answer the question... or not for matters of confidenciality :p

Organics
10-03-04, 04:20
Scrapped??? Wtf for??

It looks fucking awesome, incredibly cool.

As a mob, that thing should be 200/200 or something crazy lol :D

Clive tombstone
10-03-04, 04:23
Err, it was POSSIBLY for Player use (ever seen MECH warrior!?) the thing was about it from what I heard was the animation, and zoneing bugs and weapon stuff.

BUT i have no doupt that KK could easily fix this in a heartbeat if he REALLY wanted too.

On the other hand it could have ALSO been a mob :D and it was replaced by hoverbombers and there lame "DESTROY DESTROY" crap