View Full Version : New way to replace items lost to bugs?

SynC_187
09-03-04, 12:02
EDIT: OK it didn't go down that well and I didn't think it all through. How about this:

KK won't replace items lost to bugs because of people exploiting this.

How about you trade with a GM?

For example:

You lose a rare due to some bug. You contact support and arrange for a trade. You meet a GM in game and trade 2 or more un-identified rares for every rare part you need to replace your item. So give them 12 parts (or more?) and they give you the 6 you need.

This is available once per customer (not account) and only to paying accounts.

Hunting or trading to replace a lost item can take ages especially if its a popular item at the time.

This way the player doesn't get something for nothing from KK, but has a chance to get a replacement weapon.

P.S. I'm talking about a temporary measure until something better (e.g. item tracking) is implemented.

.Cyl0n
09-03-04, 12:07
hmm id rather have an item tracking system :)
that would also kill dupes :)

and also who would say what is worth how much ?
when a new rare gets ingame people would go to a GM they know with some shitty rares telling em they`re expensive and get new devo parts for example o_O

.cy

GT_Rince
09-03-04, 12:08
Nope - neeever gonna happen... There will be a new database as some point (tm), so we will all just have to wait.

Lanigav
09-03-04, 12:09
You're still getting ripped off in some form, and you may not have parts/rares as desirable as the one you lost.

An item tracking system is the best way to do it.

SynC_187
09-03-04, 12:10
Originally posted by .Cyl0n
hmm id rather have an item tracking system :)
that would also kill dupes :)

and also who would say what is worth how much ?
when a new rare gets ingame people would go to a GM they know with some shitty rares telling em they`re expensive and get new devo parts for example o_O

.cy

I'd prefer a tracking system, but that will take KK years.

There would have to be some rules and limits.

Maybe a once only deal per char or player?

.Cyl0n
09-03-04, 12:15
Originally posted by SynC_187
I'd prefer a tracking system, but that will take KK years.

There would have to be some rules and limits.

Maybe a once only deal per char or player?

trial accounts ? :D

SynC_187
09-03-04, 12:17
trial accounts ? :D

Obviously not.

Its a basic idea. It would need refining.

Try to use some common sense.

.Cyl0n
09-03-04, 12:23
Originally posted by SynC_187
Obviously not.

Its a basic idea. It would need refining.

Try to use some common sense.

common sense ?
sorry but there is no way for a GM to know or check if you already made this transaction or not...

for example i could just go ahead and make 1 trial acct per month on a friend`s name if needed and make this deal with a few different GMs... noone would ever knew it... it just cant work

people would find a way around it

Psyco Groupie
09-03-04, 12:25
lol ...

SynC_187
09-03-04, 12:28
common sense ?
sorry but there is no way for a GM to know or check if you already made this transaction or not...

for example i could just go ahead and make 1 trial acct per month on a friend`s name if needed and make this deal with a few different GMs... noone would ever knew it... it just cant work

people would find a way around it

What I mean is you wouldn't make it available for trial accounts....

winnoc
09-03-04, 12:28
At work i'm involved with an oracle database myself for an ERP software product.
I'm sure that if you implement an item tracking table it will soon get to be huge and slow down the system even more.

Best thing would be if KK converted their database to a faster and cleaner one (read more expensive) one.

I know the sims online works on oracle and that seems to be running very good.

I think in the end most mmorpg's will turn to oracle grid computing for best performance.

As for now, i know for a fact that every database has it's problems with database inconsistency (item being in more tables but one table is missing the last write or update).
So unless it's a big problem with a lot of people losing stuff at once they shouldn't do a rollback.

With the technology being as it is now, and prices being what they are things will get lost.

If everyone wants to pay 2-3 times their gamefee i'm sure they can put in a better database and have people monitoring it 24/7, but nobody wants to do that now do they? :-)

.Cyl0n
09-03-04, 12:31
nvm i dont want to spam the thread :P

Gulinborsti
09-03-04, 12:57
I guess I'll not make friends with this but someone has to mention this one day:

All this "KK, I lost item, give back!!!" whining doesn't make any sense to me.

Keep an eye on your items! I almost never lost an item to a bug - well, it happended back in beta 3 - but only once or twice in retail. And if it happended I was even more cautious afterwards and avoided to get robbed by the same bug twice.

I wonder why all this happens to the same people again and again and lots others never experience problems like that, at least it doesn't hit lots of people hard and very often.

I'm really interested how many people lost lots of items to bugs very often and can assure that they weren't careless and ignored known bugs and stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to defend KK and a lots of really annoying bugs are in this game since it hit retail without even any oficial statement about KK trying to remove them. But who knows, Doy is about to come and there's tstill hope ...

But I think lot of people would suffer less from those problems if they would care a little more for their stuff and try to avoided getting bugged.

/me cast heat resist 3
/me puts on inquisiton armor 4
/me activates stealth

SynC_187
09-03-04, 13:02
Changed idea slightly. See above.

Originally posted by Gulinborsti
I guess I'll not make friends with this but someone has to mention this one day:

All this "KK, I lost item, give back!!!" whining doesn't make any sense to me.

Keep an eye on your items! I almost never lost an item to a bug - well, it happended back in beta 3 - but only once or twice in retail. And if it happended I was even more cautious afterwards and avoided to get robbed by the same bug twice.

I wonder why all this happens to the same people again and again and lots others never experience problems like that, at least it doesn't hit lots of people hard and very often.

I'm really interested how many people lost lots of items to bugs very often and can assure that they weren't careless and ignored known bugs and stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to defend KK and a lots of really annoying bugs are in this game since it hit retail without even any oficial statement about KK trying to remove them. But who knows, Doy is about to come and there's tstill hope ...

But I think lot of people would suffer less from those problems if they would care a little more for their stuff and try to avoided getting bugged.

/me cast heat resist 3
/me puts on inquisiton armor 4
/me activates stealth

I know what you mean to a certain extent, but the last item I lost was there when I logged out and not there when I logged back in. There isn't much I can do to avoid that. Maybe never log out?

winnoc
09-03-04, 14:26
Well, i lost 3 rare weapons once, which i hacked from belts.

Two spells and a artifact libby.
I was in plaza 1 and i wanted to show them in the trade window, i dropped them in there and they were gone once i dropped them in. And NO i didn't press ok. They vanished as soon as i dropped them in.

I think this game is very bugged but KK is lucky they have such a great concept and a great playerbase that keeps the game alive.

If someone would invest into the company more so they can attract more programmers etc they could turn this into one of the most popular mmorpg's. A lot of people are into the bladerunner scifi thing and right now this is the only game i know of that does it right.
Too many damn dungeons and dragons games out there.
Hell, i wouldn't have minded if they never introduced monks into the game :-)
And an android character class would have been nice too :-)

Crest
09-03-04, 14:32
Originally posted by winnoc
Well, i lost 3 rare weapons once, which i hacked from belts.

Two spells and a artifact libby.
I was in plaza 1 and i wanted to show them in the trade window, i dropped them in there and they were gone once i dropped them in. And NO i didn't press ok. They vanished as soon as i dropped them in.

I think this game is very bugged but KK is lucky they have such a great concept and a great playerbase that keeps the game alive.

If someone would invest into the company more so they can attract more programmers etc they could turn this into one of the most popular mmorpg's. A lot of people are into the bladerunner scifi thing and right now this is the only game i know of that does it right.
Too many damn dungeons and dragons games out there.
Hell, i wouldn't have minded if they never introduced monks into the game :-)
And an android character class would have been nice too :-)

How will a tracking database prove that mr x did not have his item just disapear but that it was actually hacked out of belt

Heavyporker
09-03-04, 15:40
what if they DID have an item tracking system with item ids... and just scanned the servers against it once every 24 hours..

that way you keep the system fast and dupers/whatever can't keep any of the shit for long.

Strych9
09-03-04, 16:01
First, I hope people place blame on KK for not having item tracking rather than blaming them for not just creating new rares to give them. Either way KK is at fault, but you cant blame them for not just dishing out rares when someone emails helpdesk. You CAN blame them for not having a system to track these things.

Second, a tracking system wouldnt solve ALL problems, but it would/could show

A. Whether an item still exists. So if a player claims that he lost an item due to a bug, the status of that item could be determined. It would depend on what types of status codes where used, but the GMs could check and say "Thats funny Player A- you say you lost your item but Player B has it in his possession."

B. If an item has been duped. Each item could have an ID, and then the database could be scanned for duplicate entries.

It wouldnt really stop exploiting TOO much, in that you could have a Libby, use it til it breaks, and then toss it on the ground and let it disappear- then claim you lost it to a bug. Perhaps the status code system could account for that... but overall it would still help.