PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Wacom tablets?

ElfinLord
09-03-04, 07:09
Have any of you ever used a Wacom tablet? My fiancee is an artist and has been talking about these for some time.

Are they any good? Are they practical?

Any constructive input here is greatly appreciated. I am looking to buy one for her soon and I could really use the help.

Thanks in advance.

Organics
09-03-04, 07:11
http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h102.htm

Dunno if that'll be any help to you but it gives general info and criticisms etc.

:)

Kasumi
09-03-04, 07:18
Originally posted by ElfinLord
Have any of you ever used a Wacom tablet? My fiancee is an artist and has been talking about these for some time.

Are they any good? Are they practical?

Any constructive input here is greatly appreciated. I am looking to buy one for her soon and I could really use the help.

Thanks in advance.

YES!! Wacom tablets are a must ifyou work with any kind of art program. If you just want to see how they work and stuff buy one of their cheap one! If your fiancee likes them then I would suggest buying there more expensive ones!! I do not know what you mean by "practical" sorry! :( I know they are really good, I have been using one for a very long time! What kind of art does your fiancee do and I migjht be able to offer a bit more help! :o

ElfinLord
09-03-04, 07:25
By practical, I mean is it worth the money? Is it really a good tool to use and worth the desktop space?

As for what type of art she does, well mostly hand drawn fantasy stuff. She likes making signatures for people on other boards where she posts. Basically she just loves to draw.

She has always wanted to try to get into computer graphics and see where that can take her.

She visits this (http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/elfwood.pike) site frequently and has noticed that some artists use Wacom tablets to do their artwork. Since then she has wanted one.

So, before I spend $100 to $200 or whatever, I want to know if it's worth it.

Thanks again for the help. :)

jernau
09-03-04, 07:47
They are very good for certain styles.

The artists at my old company used them for things like cartoons and creating characters.

Some were more keen on them than others though so I think it also comes down to practice and what you are used to. If she's never used one before it may take time to adjust to it.

I've used them a bit but I'm shit at art so I can't be more specific than that I'm afraid.

Kasumi
09-03-04, 07:48
Yes they are worth the money! They are good for digital art, if your fiancee is just start out you may want to buy there cheaper ones to start off.. They take a little bit of time to get used to working with but will pay of fin end.. You can do much more with the Tablet in digital art then youc an with a mouse.. Its kind of like working with a normal pen and/or pencil. Everyone I used to work with at the company I used to work at used a tablet like a Wacom. The company I worked was a Game company and I worked in the 2D/3D art stuff.. ^_^ If she REALLY wants to start with this stuff then i would suggest you buy her a more expensive one when you can like.. the Gaphire3 series might be the best option to start off with since they are cheap, not sur ehow much they cost in USD dollars or Euro.. If she get really interestd then I would suggest getting a Intuos2 12x12 screen.. Those are abit more expensive.. :) I have a Citiq C-1800SX Which was about 500000YEN... but was given to me as a gift.. ^_^ I hope this is helpful :( if not sorry! :(

Some were more keen on them than others though so I think it also comes down to practice and what you are used to. If she's never used one before it may take time to adjust to it.

If you have never done digital art and just getting into that is best time to start using a Wacom, but if she has been using digital art for awhile then it will take time to get used to it. But they are good for all kinds of art style since you get more freedom and movement then you usually get with a mouse.. :)

Wish I could be more helpful but I am not good at explaning stuff.. :(

Kasumi
09-03-04, 07:50
Sorry Double post; (

trigger hurt
09-03-04, 08:31
if you want to see some examples of what can be done with wacom tablets...check out this

www.breedart.org

ElfinLord
10-03-04, 06:26
Thanks for the help.

I was looking into the Graphire3 for her, mostly because it's only $100, and I don't want to spend a ton of money on something that she may not like.

@Kasumi, you have done a great job of explaining this. I appreciate your help a lot. BTW, $4500 US is just crazy for something like this, damn good thing it was a gift. ;)

Are there any other companies that make tablets like these that are just as good that I should look into?

Kasumi
10-03-04, 06:48
I dont think there are much better or good tablets as Wacom tablets but I am kind of stubborn and have not used much other Tablets sorry. The ones I have used were not as good as a Wacom.. :) Wacom tablets come with alot of accessories, the pen they come with are good.. and there Graphire2 tablets come with alot of good software, like Photoshop Elements and stuff.. ^_^ I will do some searching for you and see if i can find something as good as Wacom and tell you ok?? ^_^