PDA

View Full Version : Revamp Neocrons main entrance.

Marx
07-03-04, 21:20
Long - be prepared to read it all. If you're not - go someplace else.

.... If you vote yes, please post (so as to keep this near the top) and rate this thread 5 stars by selecting the rating option in the lower right hand corner of the thread. If you vote no, please explain as to why. Thank you.

We all know of the main entrance to Neocron.

It's been home to events, invasions, and battles - but should it be?

I say... No.

This is the main entrance to Neocron - the only one that is actively controlled by pro-city forces... The only one which will allow people to enter and exit with at least a relative amount of safety. It needs more security, and more purpose.

This should not be a zone like Pepper Park. Before you anti-carebear folk jump on the No bandwagon, I'm not saying turn it into a safezone or anything of the sort. Keep reading.

It's purpose is two-fold, to provide entrance and exit, and to make a lasting impression on people. Most entrances do, look at the 'Doorstep of Communism' on the North/South Korean border. It's a beautiful building there to make one beleive that life is better on the other side of the line. Hell, North Korea even has its own uninhabited propoganda village named Kijong-dong (http://dirtynuke.net/jsa16_content1.jpg) which is there to continue to try and convince South Koreans that life is better on the other side.

Why doesn't Neocron have anything like this? I mean, we have a ruthless tyrant as a leader - where's the good ole' fashioned propoganda and shows of force/power?

I think if one revamped the outzone station, it would be a good step in that direction.

This (http://dirtynuke.net/screenshots/outside1.JPG) is where all Neocrons military actions are launched from. Yet it is in complete disarray. If one were to put in proper stacks of boxes and such, much like a port in that single middle section... And got rid of the 'rotten boxes' and 'rusty boxes', one would get a better impression.

I don't think I need to comment about whats wrong with this (http://dirtynuke.net/screenshots/outside2.JPG).

Once you enter the city, you're greeted with the ugly nature of Outzone Station (http://dirtynuke.net/screenshots/insidecenter.JPG). Tell me, if the penalty for pretty much every crime is death - and those STORMbots are there and ever vigilant... How did the grafitti get there? And what the hell is with those ads? They shouldn't be advertising for chocolate bars and sushi joints, they should be advertising for Citizenship - They should be saying "Welcome to Neocron, Join Up". If this was just any city in the current world, I wouldn't care - but this is the magnet... The speck of hope in the post apocolyptic world. Surviving groups of people move to Neocron, the City Admin should be convincing the people to become citizens, because last time I checked, they need them badly.

More (http://dirtynuke.net/screenshots/insideleft.JPG) ugliness. Imagine if this zone was better lit, with signs proclaiming "Welcome" - imagine those ads from the plaza sectors advertising the various factions blaring here. Wouldn't that make much more sense?

The other side of ugly (http://dirtynuke.net/screenshots/insideright.JPG). Imagine if there were official greeters. NPC's who would answer your question. Imagine if after completing MC5, you were transported to OZ station (not through the GR of couse :p) where a NPC greeter could answer your questions. Leaving you the option of using the OZ GR to get to your apartment or exploring the city via the subway or perhaps exploring the wastelands for a tad.

Hell, my friend who first started playing had no idea that the wastelands existed until he stumbled on upon them. If something like this happened, it would show the new player right off the bat that there's more to the game than just a city and some sewers.

These (http://dirtynuke.net/screenshots/insideback.JPG) guys suck at there job. There needs to be more Copbots and STORMbots within this zone. Fighting here should be just about as common as fighting within the NCPD (when is was open, not including exploiter peoples).

Why? Because this is the main and seemingly only pro-city viable entrance. If they lose control - hypothetically pro-city forces wouldn't be able to leave the city... Which would suck seeing as there's a war on. Right?

Ugly (http://dirtynuke.net/screenshots/pathtosubway.JPG). Rotten boxes and such do not belong in this zone. The outzone may be abandoned, and although this may be 'outzone station' - this is the last bastion of control in the abandoned section of the city.

Get rid of all the Yo's vendors here (http://dirtynuke.net/screenshots/insidecenter.JPG), and modify the ones here (http://dirtynuke.net/screenshots/yosshoppingcenter.JPG). This zone does not need 14 Yo's vendors. Especially since most are selling the same stuff.

Clean up the zone here (http://dirtynuke.net/screenshots/insidecenter.JPG), replace these (http://dirtynuke.net/worthlessyovendors.JPG) dudes with things like NPC greeters, City Admin recruiters, etc. Imagine Mc5 style signs (the new ones) sticking out above each door in that room with something like "Recruiter", "INFO - NCPD", "MEDICAL CHECK", etc.

I think this would improve the games Post-Apocolyptic atmosphere, because as it stands now, it's roughly non-existant.

Psyco Groupie
07-03-04, 21:32
sweet ideas - i love the 'welcome to nc - join up' type ideas perhaps put a human resources director from each city faction there so enemies of the city can join the city .. maybe for 600 k since they are special npcs

5 stars

Sleawer
07-03-04, 21:34
I like the idea. I think on your changes looking like an airport station, clean and controlled.

Also I think there should be a difference between copbots and storm-bots... the firsts could carry plasma pistols and patrol the city, the latter are more the military force, with heavy weapons and rifles.

Overall I like.
5 stars of course.

Sorontar
07-03-04, 23:32
Love the concept mate , it's too damn quiet and nasty down there for my liking.

The whole first step from MC5 thing would be cool as well........... when you first speak to your faction representative he could tell you , in an official manner , where you apartment is (in which complex it is , reminder of password etc.) A bit like the Heavenly Havens(?) intro from Judge D film when the convict is being re-introduced into society.

Cytaur
07-03-04, 23:59
I never thought about it as an entrance... it was always an exit for me... as you leave neocron, you go through all that city atmosphere etc until it gets grimmer and grimmer -- you reach OZ station, and then you go through that gate, and that's it, you're outside. It sure should be a real entrance, a welcome hall.

Lanigav
08-03-04, 00:01
This not only deserves five stars, but a big fat chocolate chip cookie as well.

Cruzbroker
08-03-04, 00:05
There's a reason why outzone is like it is. And it looks very much like it has had alot going on. Just like Plaza, but it's all dirty.

Rarely people from wastelands want to join the city, or move outside the city.. Only teh fighters..

I wont vote, I like the way it is and I would like that way too.

Marx
08-03-04, 00:08
Originally posted by Cruzbroker
There's a reason why outzone is like it is. And it looks very much like it has had alot going on. Just like Plaza, but it's all dirty.

Rarely people from wastelands want to join the city, or move outside the city.. Only teh fighters..

I wont vote, I like the way it is and I would like that way too.

The outzone may be abandoned, but this place isn't. Outzone station is the forward operating point for all actions by the City Admin and all Pro-city forces.

Having all this junk all over the place is counterproductive, is it not?

I mean, you don't see junk tossed all over the flight deck of an aircraft carrier, do you?

As for the rarely bit - We don't know that. Just remember that Neocron is supposed to have a million+ populace or something like that. Of course one has to suspend disbelief when it comes to that...

Also - Why are all the wasteland villages empty?

SPIKE (pluto)
08-03-04, 00:12
Good idea, always thought that place was a bit dull:)

Dade Murphey
08-03-04, 00:59
Great ideas marx...5 stars :)

Clownst0pper
08-03-04, 02:20
Erm, Sorry to say, but why would the entrance to Neocron be 'clean' when it is clearly the entrance that is near the outzone, and really, the abandonned subway.

I love the rough look, some rough signs would be good, and some better lighting, maybe a bar, and somewhere to hang in the creepy underworld.

I think your characters clothes are worse looking than the OZ station :lol:

pwned :p

Marx
08-03-04, 02:26
Originally posted by Clownst0pper
Erm, Sorry to say, but why would the entrance to Neocron be 'clean' when it is clearly the entrance that is near the outzone, and really, the abandonned subway.

I love the rough look, some rough signs would be good, and some better lighting, maybe a bar, and somewhere to hang in the creepy underworld.

I think your characters clothes are worse looking than the OZ station :lol:

pwned :p

Originally posted by Marx
The outzone may be abandoned, but this place isn't. Outzone station is the forward operating point for all actions by the City Admin and all Pro-city forces.

Having all this junk all over the place is counterproductive, is it not?

I mean, you don't see junk tossed all over the flight deck of an aircraft carrier, do you?

As for the rarely bit - We don't know that. Just remember that Neocron is supposed to have a million+ populace or something like that. Of course one has to suspend disbelief when it comes to that...

The subway is far from abandoned. It's underused because there are too many GR's in the city.

L3m0n
08-03-04, 02:33
yes to the adds, NPCs after MC5 and the boxes but when you say clean? do you mean Plaza clean? if so wouldnt realy work cos its the outzone after all shouldnt look like plaza! but other than that nice ideas wonder if anyone will lisson or they have allready changed it in DOY?

Marx
08-03-04, 02:40
Originally posted by L3m0n
yes to the adds, NPCs after MC5 and the boxes but when you say clean? do you mean Plaza clean? if so wouldnt realy work cos its the outzone after all shouldnt look like plaza! but other than that nice ideas wonder if anyone will lisson or they have allready changed it in DOY?

It may be 'Outzone' station - but it really isn't part of it. Why?

Because the City Admin and NCPD turned the blind eye to the outzone and didn't to this.

If you want a gritty entrance you have OZ_8, BD secret HQ, OZ_9, and the Crahn passage.

This is the official entrance/exit of Neocron. I would imagine they would want people to be impressed, so that way one could sign away their soul to toil away for Reza forever.

I find it hard to beleive that someone who would demand perfection from a janitor in CA HQ would allow said janitor to slack off in OZ station.

L3m0n
08-03-04, 02:44
this is true but it is the OZ none the less and to change it form OZ to somethin like plaza would take a lot of work cos it would also have to change the map and make it a new zone like NC ent. form OZ :wtf:

Marx
08-03-04, 02:49
this is true but it is the OZ none the less and to change it form OZ to somethin like plaza would take a lot of work cos it would also have to change the map and make it a new zone like NC ent. form OZ :wtf:

Not really, change the wall textures to the Via subway station wall texture (same thing except without grafitti, also, more white than offwhite) Change the upper wall textures to the normal grey. Stick in those green lines on the window/doors like you have in Plaza 4. Change the vendors, add NPCs, assign dialogue, add STORM/Copbos, make the signs... Add in the signs, change lighting chage ads. Perhaps add in those advertising announcements "ProtoPharma, your hope, your cure, something something..".

I'm not asking for anything dramatic like an amazing rezoning type deal... Just enough changes to make it akin to this (http://dirtynuke.net/images/dmzbuilding.jpg)

L3m0n
08-03-04, 02:55
yep ok some good ideas but tbh they are not going to do all this with a DOY coming out cos it might have even been changed for the up and coming war? you never know (well you will but when lol)

Marx
08-03-04, 02:58
yep ok some good ideas but tbh they are not going to do all this with a DOY coming out cos it might have even been changed for the up and coming war? you never know (well you will but when lol)

Well, pretty much all brainport ideas are ignored... So I wouldn't be suprised if this one is.

Occasionally, parts of some are used - and if they are planning a change... I do hope that someone might see this thread and have it sway their plan.

L3m0n
08-03-04, 03:04
i hope it does too you look at DOY for example and though you cant see inside it still gives the anti city look where as the subway looks like anti city aswell lol

Artie
08-03-04, 03:31
Excellent idea. If they changed the pro admin exit, they should also find easier and faster ways to go through the anti-ca entrances, so that they would be used more, imho.

But i'd give it a solid 5 stars and a big chocolate chip cookie.

This WB cola's fer j00.

Clive tombstone
08-03-04, 06:05
Excellent!

Cookies and WB cola for you! I Really Hope KK looks at this idea, I agree completly, there should be a much cleaner look and feel to it you know? and hell, Seriously, Why not add something outside the gates like a Small staging point for City admin or something, you know, flatten out the hills or something and make a place where Copbots gather and vehicles are placed, sorta like Military base and MC5 have vehicles around there.

I love the Idea once again^^ five stars and cookies!

amfest
08-03-04, 06:59
Though it's all labeled as Neocron I consider Neocron city to be Via and plaza then there is the redilight district of pepper park . . . crahn was forced out of the city to outzone. So saftey in outzone is sorta .. bleh. If you notice not even NEXT guards are at the OZ subway getoff. Though I think the Yo's NPCs should be adjusted there. Maybe the boxes gotten rid of on the outside of the main doors and some Big artillary looking guns put in place that maybe GMs can fire during events to give a real war appeal. Maybe some guards inside of vehicles like a 4x4 with a guard in it and one gunning so that one will drive towards enemies and the other will fire at it :) would be funny :)

But I'll have to agree that it shoudl be considered an EXIT not an entrance. Reeza only protects you within the city so it only gets trashy as you try and get out. think about it .. you go from Via then to plaza then to pepper park . .industrial sector then outzone . . notice the trashy way it gets as you get further away from the ocean side of Via till you're finally out of Neocron's saftey in the wastes

Clive tombstone
08-03-04, 08:15
Big artillary looking guns put in place that maybe GMs can fire during events to give a real war appeal
I was gonna say something like that. If you read my comic (when it comes out :D ) one of the characters "suggested by a friend" HAS one of these artillary pieces) soo maybe ill post a pic or two when i get a scanner later this week :D

msdong
08-03-04, 09:30
i vote NO.
not because i dont want things change but i dont agree in some parts of you "new shiny world".
this is a part of town none of the "good ppl" in neocron should ever enter. Reza wants you to do a job in the factorys and labs and office inside the city.
the outzone is a place where young ppl go to have an advanture when they dont want to enter the world outside the inner NC protection dome. there should be changes to reflect that like a bar or something with strange ppl (did i say dromsex?)
even this is the "official" entrance i dont want to be greeted by the hellos of CA officials in Office suits.
if i enter this way i want a big ugly guard telling me to obay the rules of NC or he would kick my ass or that this door is like the end of toilet sink and only s**t and used condoms come from the outside :D

Opar
08-03-04, 11:57
Yes, yes yes yes yes.

Disturbed021
08-03-04, 16:28
Originally posted by amfest

But I'll have to agree that it shoudl be considered an EXIT not an entrance. Reeza only protects you within the city so it only gets trashy as you try and get out. think about it .. you go from Via then to plaza then to pepper park . .industrial sector then outzone . . notice the trashy way it gets as you get further away from the ocean side of Via till you're finally out of Neocron's saftey in the wastes

Was gonna say pretty much the same thing.

I agree with some of the changes to the vendors and what not but no to making it cleaner. Once you leave Via and Plaza ur on your own, and as you approach the city gates it shouldn't get cleaner only dirtier imo.
Yes OZ station is probably where the city forces launch their military forces from but it is not where they want there citizens hanging out at expecting protection.

El_MUERkO
08-03-04, 18:06
Great idea, 5 stars :)

Zanathos
08-03-04, 18:11
me = wants it to look purdy too!

Psyco Groupie
08-03-04, 18:28
I had another idea, put neofrag 1 out there ... that would be soo sweet, get it used too

Marx
08-03-04, 19:06
Originally posted by Disturbed021
but it is not where they want there citizens hanging out at expecting protection.

But it does seem that a good number of 'citizens' start their path to citizenship from these doors.

Like I said before - why else would all the wasteland villages be empty? Because a better life is offered within Neocron.

;)

Rieper
08-03-04, 19:06
woah.... sounds awesome. I'd like it to start as a massive empty hallway save for 6 Stormbots and shitloads of turrets to verify who you are and then once you're cleared you go into the main area which is like a massive busy airport terminal with everything you need to buy. In fact i'd make it better than plaze 1. It could be a central hub with Direct links to every zone 1k to use and it takes you to the centre of any Plaza or Via zone with 5% Synaptic (only possible to use when you have no SI). Obviously only one way and wont effect use of GRs. It should epitomize what the city should be and is... A home to all but a military dictatorship.

Fez
08-03-04, 21:04
i agree 100 % outzone station should look tuffer and way more inviting. As far as cleanness goes its a military controled zone and for anyone who has ever been in the military cleaning it one our ur biggest jobs to do :( so it should be clean enuff to eat off the floors