PDA

View Full Version : Windows 2003 anyone try yet

Saver
05-03-04, 14:21
has anyone gotten neocron to run on windows 2003 if so i need to know what ya did cause all i get is the launcher then a window pops up like its going to start and thats it

i tried the compatabilities on the short cut but it didn't work i have no firewall running

any ideas :confused:

Dribble Joy
05-03-04, 14:23
2003? that out?

ugh, first gen OS software from MS = poopoo.

Stick with 2K mush.

cMz
05-03-04, 15:10
Windows 2003 is only a server version as far as I know.

You probably dont have enough rights to run parts of Neocron on the machine.

What Microsoft changed has a lot to do with security on different subsystems, so maybe Neocron needs better rights for something to run.

Psyco Groupie
05-03-04, 15:14
yeah, are you on administrator or have admin rights ?

sounds like you shouldnt be on that OS

zii
05-03-04, 15:22
Erm, grant power user rights to the account and set task prioty to foreground processes. Saying, W2003 server, is for servers. I believ WXP was the exquiv. of W2K pro.

Now, Neocron ported to RedHat would be a better option, or even Solaris... Hey, we have OpenOffice.Org now!

WebShock
05-03-04, 15:28
i wouldnt suggest you use w2k3 server at all as a gaming OS.

Just because its a new OS doesnt mean that you should get it.

Not only is it still buggy as hell, you will have loads of compatibility issues since its a brand new OS.

Since its Server software, you will have loads of background services leeching all these resources you need to squeeze out every fps you can get.

Why would you want to run a server as a gaming rig?
You wont be running as efficient as you can with a workstation OS
O_o

Zaq
05-03-04, 16:51
Why don't you dual boot with win98 or something :D

cRazy2003
05-03-04, 18:41
lol ive just had to research info into the new retail windows, in other words 2003-2004. its called longhorn but its a bit of a shit name

Vampire222
05-03-04, 19:02
2003 server = windows xp advanced server....
Longhorn = nextgen windows client

evs
05-03-04, 19:03
2k3's been out quite a while.
It's very stable, runs well - but is very anal with some of its more often 'home' uses.

Such as shutting down asks you around 3 questions and refuses to let you boot back up without answering why it reset without notification.

can run games fine np, but occasionally get the odd blip.

El_MUERkO
05-03-04, 19:06
I tested the italian ad portugese versions of 2003 last june i think...

thats all.

-=z=-
05-03-04, 19:38
Originally posted by evs
Such as shutting down asks you around 3 questions and refuses to let you boot back up without answering why it reset without notification.

You can disable the shutdown tracker so it doesn't bug you anymore.

Start the Microsoft Management Console by clicking Start | Run and typing mmc. When the MMC window is open, Click File | Add/Remove Snap-in. Click Add and then find the Group Policy Object Editor. Click Add, then finish and finally OK.

Navigate through Local Computer Policy to Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates and select the System folder.

Double click Display Shutdown Event Tracker and select Disabled. Click OK, and close the MMC.

FreeBassX
05-03-04, 20:10
I'm using Win2K3 as my gaming OS and I have to say its probably the first OS that M$ has done right. But it will depend on what you want in your OS.

The only SERIOUS problem I have noticed, is that you'll run into is the need for server-side applications for things like AV programs and some utilities. Other than that, I haven't ran into any show-stopper bugs or even unnessessary HANGS like XP does.

Unfortunately, the cost of Win2K3 is what keeps people away from it. Luckily being a student, we got a discount on it.. Nearly 1/2 the price of the retail, with 0 licenses.

Personally, I think the skinnalbe feature of the new Windows OS is ********, and it overhead that isn't needed. Luckily, Win2K3 disables this *bug* by default.

XP = Next generation ME (Buggy piece of sh*t)

Candaman
05-03-04, 20:18
what server u play now freebase?

Darkborg
06-03-04, 00:50
Freebassx

I actually tried to get nc to run on a Server 2k3 install.
And i did so but i didnt notice any immediate difference between xp.
You think it runs more stable ?? or faster. Because that might just convince me to change.

Thing is you can play on it, it just comes with all the features disabled including sound acceleration and Directx.
You kindoff have to play around to get it to work proper.

Omnituens
06-03-04, 02:09
2k is the win

there is a British company working on a new GUI and layout for the next gen Windows OS: to make it more like Win2k :lol:

Win2k > all

BramTops
06-03-04, 04:46
Originally posted by Omnituens
2k is the win

there is a British company working on a new GUI and layout for the next gen Windows OS: to make it more like Win2k :lol:

Win2k > all

except that winXP is actually faster (even without tweaking)...

It's one of the most commen misbelieves arround nowadays... The dudes at M$ really fixed a lot of stuff in XP (compared to 2k).

Try it yourself (take a clockwatch or something).. I dare ya! :D

(but what the hey... i'm going back from XP to 2k... for a while... just for the heck of it... 2k just sounds cooler.. right? ;))