PDA

View Full Version : Make Terrorist Attacks Viable

Fawkes
05-03-04, 12:55
I was reading "The Stars Like Dust" by Isaac Asimov today and there's this part in the book where he tells about this guy who realizes there's a radiation bomb in his dormitory room that's about to explode and his door is jammed, so he's trying to figure out how to get himself out of the situation, and I was thinking it would be cool to have real bombs in Neocron. Eventually, the idea evolved to ways of implementing terrorist attacks in Neocron.

Committing a terrorist act inside a populated city (Neocron or Dome of York) would be hard. Once you enter a city (NC or DoY), electronic sensors will detect your bomb and Copbots will be able to know you are carrying one, so if you go near them, they will treat you as they treat low SL criminals, so you must find alternative ways of reaching your destination.

The bomb can be placed anywhere and once activated cannot be neutralized. The bomb will be very small so people won't be able to see it unless they look very carefully. Once placed, the bomb will start a countdown of 1 minute until it explodes. An alarm will sound and a voice (of that woman who advertises stuff ^^) will say something like: "Attention, citizens! There is a bomb in the city. Please evacuate to your apartments until we take control of the situation" every few seconds.

When the bomb explodes, it will act as a kamikaze drone, only it will kill anyone in range because it is very powerful. The bomb will have a pretty wide range, say, if you place it outside the medicare in P1 in a flowerpot under a lamp post, it will kill anyone outside the medicare and close to that area. The bomb will also kill the terrorist if he stays near it when it explodes, so he must flee once the bomb starts counting down. Once the bomb is detonated the alarms will stop. If the terrorist is caught and dies or even if he succeeds (to prevent this from being done over and over), he will lose SL to the point of being shot by Copbots (-16, is it?) for trying or succeeding in committing a terrorist act.

Only capped characters will have the privilege to use a bomb. The bomb can be drawn like a normal weapon but won't be visible to other players. Meaning, when you see a player holding a bomb, it will seem to you as if he is holding a spell or a poking tool.

To add to the roleplay side of this idea, I think pro-city factions shouldn't be able to buy bombs from vendors in TG, but they will be able to buy them from corrupted TG’s and commit terrorist acts of their own in DoY (once DoY is out…).

I know this idea doesn't sound quite finished, but don't vote no just yet (unless you really hate it). I think this could make a wonderful roleplay and fun addition to Neocron. Share your thoughts on this idea so we can improve it and make it viable. Hope you like it. ;)

El_MUERkO
05-03-04, 13:12
Didnt we have motion sensitive mines in beta, everyone put them on zone lines and shit, dunno my memories a bit vague, back then I live with in town and spent a large amount of time coming down :)

Its an idea but it could end up that there'll be a bomb every couple of minutes and people would get pissed off pretty quick if that was the case.

I'm all up for bombings and the like as part of an event though, even if it meant is was caught in the blast :)

/edit 1 I voted for droms which i will assume is the 'maybe if...' option :angel:

/edit 2 hehe Scabb island tm :) monkey island owns, Lucasfarts cancelled Sam & Max :(

Clownst0pper
05-03-04, 13:15
Love it :D

Tratos
05-03-04, 13:16
w00t nice one 5 stars!

~Tratos

Fawkes
05-03-04, 13:17
lucasfarts hahahah >.<

numb
05-03-04, 13:19
I imagine when DoY is released it will be very hard for a city enemy to plant a bomb in a highly populated area, because the safezones are being removed. If people are defending Neocron city properly, this is not going to happen every 2 minutes.

I think this is a great idea. :)

metalangel
05-03-04, 13:39
That's exactly my fear, though, that it will be happening every few minutes. Unlike real terrorists, people here have loads of money and time to burn, so you'll be having constant terror alerts and bombs going off everywhere.

What will happen? They'll become like car alarms and the 'highly dangerous criminals sighted inside the inner city limits' announcement. PEOPLE WILL IGNORE THEM. The odds of being blown up by said bomb will be very low, so people will just continue to go about their business.

Samhain
05-03-04, 13:50
The odds of being blown up by said bomb will be very low, so people will just continue to go about their business.

This kind of desensitization would be the byproduct of being able to gene replicate after being murdered in this kind of society anyway..

I like this idea and I'd even love it if the bombs were quite devastating as long as it's hard to do, ie. the parts cost like 10 million each and it *had* to be assembled at a factory and it was hard to build anyway (like TL200)

Different bombs could be made too, ones that leak poison (poison barrels basically) and last for a while, or straight damage ones that are instantaneous force/piece damage.

brackk
05-03-04, 14:16
I thought the story line suggested that TG was against the political powers of neocron. For TG to randomly blow stuff up within the city would defeat their ultimate purpose which is to take over the control of neocron. Huge bombs would just become aggie celler PK's on a grand scale "humm gee guys killing these nubes one by one is boreing lets use a nuke and get 100."

All that aside i still have LE in so it would be rather neat to see a bomb go off in P1 on a busy night :P

Fawkes
05-03-04, 15:55
Originally posted by brackk
I thought the story line suggested that TG was against the political powers of neocron. For TG to randomly blow stuff up within the city would defeat their ultimate purpose which is to take over the control of neocron. Huge bombs would just become aggie celler PK's on a grand scale "humm gee guys killing these nubes one by one is boreing lets use a nuke and get 100."
Actually if you read the history of Neocron, there's a short story there of this Private Eye who witnesses a TG terrorist act inside the city (restaurant blown up) and he says TG terrorist attacks against Neocron are quite common. So yeah, they randomly blow stuff up within the city. ;)

Anyway, I actually thought that all the things I stuggested will prevent this from being done over and over every few minutes: only capped chars will be able to use bombs, copbots will shoot you if they see you and you lose SL (up to the point where Copbots will treat you as a criminal) every time you do it. If this doesn't seem too much for you guys, throw some suggestions to make it better.

EDIT: Maybe players should be able to neutralize the bombs, I dunno... say the bomb is TL 100, so a hacker could use his hack skill to hack the bomb and deactivate it. Would be cool: someone manages to find the bomb and he's shouting: "I found the bomb! someone come and deactivate it!" and a hacker comes and hacks it and saves the day. ^_^

brackk
05-03-04, 16:21
Add a random chance for the "homemade bomb" to explode during its construction and its transportation across zones. Then tie the random chance to CST level and say DEX.

It would be really neat if a newsflash could be generated serverwide to announce XXX killed in an explosion in XXX zone.

"1 killed in an explosion in Brackk's apt"

[NC-TRADE] WTF brackk blew himself up again ??

.Cyl0n
05-03-04, 17:27
VERY nice idea :)

but as someone else said.. make one bomb cost like 10 mil and make it HIGH tl :)

5 stars

.cy

Fawkes
05-03-04, 17:53
Yeah, I guess making it cost 10mill could make it work. Or how about making it a rare item? there are lots of ways to make this a very hard item to obtain.

Judge
05-03-04, 17:57
I think that the bomb has to both cost a huge amount, take a large amount of time to make and is really hard to get into position. BUT. It should be massively powerful for all that. People should be SCARED of it.... not just "Oh a few pokes and 6k to get my backpack back" Maybe give the bomb some sort of radiation poisoning which takes 5 off all your characters skills (as well as killing you) for 24 real hours, then it goes back to normal.

Something like that.

rhPhMe
05-03-04, 17:59
seems cool

would take kk 10 years to code it....then another 10 to fix the bugs in it

0_o

FirestarXL
05-03-04, 18:04
A hacker should be able to disarm the bomb though, but at OP level difficulty. So you could have bomb disposal experts who risk themselves to save others. If they successfully hack the bomb, they get it in their inventory, and they can take it to an NPC for a reward, or indeed, reuse it themselves. :D

I think it would need careful consideration as to who can use this item, and what skills they would need though. But a great idea, and well thought of.

XSuneX
05-03-04, 18:05
How about we make it really real and the terrorist can not let go of the bomb and has to die with it.

Also how about when the timer goes off, the game releases a bunch of Nuns and little innocent children around the terrorist.

Actually how about we do not call it a Terrorist, let’s not give them any glory in our game, lets call them something like INFILTRATOR SPIES.

XSuneX
05-03-04, 18:14
I like this idea and I'd even love it if the bombs were quite devastating as long as it's hard to do, ie. the parts cost like 10 million each and it *had* to be assembled at a factory and it was hard to build anyway (like TL200)[/B]

Not good because only one or two people would have control of ever doing one of these bombs.

paolo escobar
05-03-04, 18:34
This is a post i saw many months ago. It has some good points and idea's.

A previous post regarding bombs. (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65126&perpage=15&pagenumber=1)

n3m
05-03-04, 18:41
Bomb defused
Counter terrorists win
o_O

love the idea, but I doubt it will get implemented though :(

hmm what if the bomb is made of 6 parts. all parts are made with 5 tp's = 30 parts needed for the bomb. Wont happen that much then. Nc factions should be able to bomb DoY as well though.

Duder
05-03-04, 18:56
Originally posted by XSuneX
How about we make it really real and the terrorist can not let go of the bomb and has to die with it.

Yeah, because in reality you cant bomb things unless you die with it, good logic there!!!

Oh but explain to me how you can bomb things in the ground with airplanes, WITHOUT DYING!!!!!????? EXPLAIN PLZ KTHX

metalangel
05-03-04, 19:24
He was talking about forcing it to be a suicide bomb, so you would have to be really set on doing it in order to carry it out. Duh.

Duder
05-03-04, 19:31
I cant really see the loss, you only lose a implant condition, oh no, what an evil scheme to suicide bomb when death isnt even harsh.

I would make it a bomb only a TG FC can give out, so they can authorize the bomb makings.

XSuneX
06-03-04, 21:11
Originally posted by Duder
Yeah, because in reality you cant bomb things unless you die with it, good logic there!!!

Oh but explain to me how you can bomb things in the ground with airplanes, WITHOUT DYING!!!!!????? EXPLAIN PLZ KTHX

What I'm also trying to say is so called ->TERRORISTS<- almost always die with the bomb or plane or whatever, maybe cuz there told to do that by the people who convinced them to do it, so as not to be able to risk getting cought and the real orginization found out. But most of the time they don't leave the bomb and run off.

XSuneX
06-03-04, 21:21
Originally posted by Duder
I cant really see the loss, you only lose a implant condition, oh no, what an evil scheme to suicide bomb when death isnt even harsh.

I would make it a bomb only a TG FC can give out, so they can authorize the bomb makings.

Ah yes, well if the PC is with the bomb when it goes off other PC will see who it was who did it and all will know who the bomber was and can get back at him/her. and it would be more realisticj for the so called terrorist to stay with the bomb any ways.

Or.... just not say he is a terrorist but just a bombing fool. etc... :)

But realy, terrorists to me are just stoopid because they are dunb enough to blow them selvs up with the bomb on purpose and cowards cuz it is most of the time inocents who have no idea it is going to happen.