PDA

View Full Version : I wanna fly

Dribble Joy
04-03-04, 22:23
I have said this in all of the PE toy threads, but no-one has replied and my ego is all deflated and sad.

If/when Stealth is Spy only.
In addition to the Jetpack (an item in QB perhaps, akin to the stealth, activate and you act like a drone does till you run out of ammo (fuel) or turn off.), what about wings.

A back bone implant that gives you a set of metal wings.
Activated by holding the jump key (tapping jump will make you jump as per usual), same as the jet pack but more manouverable, possibly a bit faster too.
Instead of ammo, why not sta.
Hovering should not use up any sta overall, flying around should be like running, climbing should use more.
Only way to gain sta during flight would be stams.

Cheaper and better than a jeppack, but at the cost of an imp slot.
Dex and con to use em, speed affected (as with running), by atl/agl.
Whether they sould flap while in use I dunno, perhaps they should just be folded back when not in use, and spread out while in flight. (perhaps they just vibrate really fast or summat?)

Chase.Devine
04-03-04, 22:27
Maybe you should play a rigger hum? o_O

cRazy2003
04-03-04, 22:29
no offense but thats just going beyond all areas of stupid lol, jetpacks are more realistic in the future but giant metal wings, i doubt it, but very funny anyways so well done :lol:
jetpacks would look kool, but seeing PE's running around wastelands flying around like bee's with giant metal wings wud just look a bit odd

edit: o ya i must also and forgot to add http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~bpantano/spock.jpg

Psyco Groupie
04-03-04, 22:30
What was that cool platfrom game with the unicorn called again ?

Spoon
04-03-04, 23:17
Originally posted by Psyco Groupie
What was that cool platfrom game with the unicorn called again ?

Joust?

Shujin
04-03-04, 23:20
sometimes i throw myself off the top of a high building wondering if ill fly but i usually just get hurt... thats not flying ;[

Dade Murphey
04-03-04, 23:36
Originally posted by Spoon
Joust?

Joust wasn't unicorns man...joust was strange little dudes in some sort of armor with lances riding on ostriches...geez...that's why when you'd tap the jump button thier little wings would flap :p

Jetpacks would be kinda cool...If BF1942 can have them I'm sure neocron could...haha

sometimes i throw myself off the top of a high building wondering if ill fly but i usually just get hurt... thats not flying ;[

You're doing it all wrong man...at the last minute, just before you hit eh ground something has to distract you so you'll Miss the ground...it's hard to accomplish, but once you do it you'll be golden

Aziraphale
04-03-04, 23:39
Jetpack maybe.

Wings? No.

But a kind of hanglider thing would be cool.

Rimase
05-03-04, 00:02
I read somewhere on these forums. There will be airbourne vehicles with BDoY.
It was about 2-4 weeks ago when I seen this, and I do not know who mentioned it. :wtf:

borl
05-03-04, 00:07
OT but genius :)

Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Pick a nice day, it suggests, and try it.

The first part is easy. All it requires is simply the ability to throw yourself forward with all your weight, and willingness not to mind that it's going to hurt. That is, it's going to hurt if you fail to miss the ground.

Most people fail to miss the ground, and if they are really trying properly, the likelihood is that they will fail to miss it fairly hard. Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.

One problem is that you have to miss the ground accidentally. It's no good deliberately intending to miss the ground because you won't. You have to have your attention suddenly distracted by something else when you're halfway there, so that you are no longer thinking about falling, or about the ground, or about how much it's going to hurt if you fail to miss it.

It is notoriously difficult to prise your attention away from these three things during the split second you have at your disposal. Hence most people's failure, and their eventual disillusionment with this exhilarating and spectacular sport.
If, however, you are lucky enough to have your attention momentarily distracted at the crucial moment by, say, a gorgeous pair of legs (tentacles, pseudopodia, according to phyllum and/or personal inclination) or a bomb going off in your vicinity, or by suddenly spotting an extremely rare species of beetle crawling along a nearby twig, then in your astonishment you will miss the ground completely and remain bobbing just a few inches above it in what might seem to be a slightly foolish manner. This is a moment for superb and delicate concentration. Bob and float, float and bob. Ignore all considerations of your own weight and simply let yourself waft higher. Do not listen to what anybody says to you at this point because they are unlikely to say anything helpful.

They are most likely to say something along the lines of, 'Good God, you can't possibly be flying!' It is vitally important not to believe them or they will suddenly be right.

Waft higher and higher. Try a few swoops, gentle ones at first, then drift above the treetops breathing regularly.

DO NOT WAVE AT ANYBODY.

When you have done this a few times you will find the moment of distraction rapidly becomes easier and easier to achieve. You will then learn all sorts of things about how to control your flight, your speed, your manoeuvrability, and the trick usually lies in not thinking too hard about whatever you want to do, but just allowing it to happen as if it was going to anyway. You will also learn about how to land properly, which is something you will almost certainly cock up, and cock up badly, on your first attempt.

There are private flying clubs you can join which help you achieve the all-important moment of distraction. They hire people with surprising bodies or opinions to leap out from behind bushes and exhibit and/or explain them at the critical moments. Few genuine hitch-hikers will be able to afford to join these clubs, but some may be able to get temporary employment at them.

F*cking vBulletin formatting...

Dribble Joy
05-03-04, 00:12
Douglas Adams > all

Still wanna be an angel :angel:

Aziraphale
05-03-04, 00:19
Originally posted by Rimase
I read somewhere on these forums. There will be airbourne vehicles with BDoY.
It was about 2-4 weeks ago when I seen this, and I do not know who mentioned it. :wtf:

Yup, 'Gliders'. They're coming out before DoY i think though.