PDA

View Full Version : How fast can you level?

Myrlin
04-03-04, 18:03
I've heard rumors that people who play a lot can cap their characters in under a week.

How long does it take you to cap and with which class (obviously PPUs would take longer than PEs).

Stigmata
04-03-04, 18:07
fastest ive heard of is 19 hours iirc with a PE

QD did a tank to 90 con in about 24 hours.

but tbh why would you want to do that, part of playing and enjoying the game is to do things while leveling, having alaugh and shit.

Eledhbrant
04-03-04, 18:10
If you are playing a lot, but not constant caving like some, you can level a Non-PE pretty fast whilst still having a laugh. When your mainstat hits 90 it gets a little harder though.

PPU, Took a lot of months to cap as he was my first char and when I hit 90 I didnt level for quite a while.

rhPhMe
04-03-04, 18:10
i was able to drug my pa on as a tank.....3rd day from which i started him

Strych9
04-03-04, 18:11
Originally posted by stigmata

but tbh why would you want to do that, part of playing and enjoying the game is to do things while leveling, having alaugh and shit. Both of those are doable. Was that solo, or with incidental teams, or with known teams dedicated to help him level?

A CA runner would have a much harder time doing that, esp. the tank, than a TG runner.

msdong
04-03-04, 18:14
you can cap you PE real fast on a good team. that 24 hours thing is gone withe the tool "bug" but a week of powerplay is enough.

weel, but im proud that my 2 oldest chars are not on cap

Myrlin
04-03-04, 18:15
I don't really want to cap in a week, I was just curious to see if it was really possible and if so, how is it done.

I've been playing since the beginning of retail and I'm a casual gamer since I have a M-F 8-5 job. I got my tank up to about STR 93 then rerolled and my spy is now at Dex 86. For me leveling is incredibly slow because I generally only hunt when my friends are online and available to hunt in a group.

Myrlin
04-03-04, 18:17
Originally posted by msdong
you can cap you PE real fast on a good team. that 24 hours thing is gone withe the tool "bug" but a week of powerplay is enough.

weel, but im proud that my 2 oldest chars are not on cap

What tool "bug"?

rhPhMe
04-03-04, 18:17
every chance you get kill the high level mods....as easy as that....use aoe also :)

s0apy
04-03-04, 18:18

not without a PPU. and i'd guess that such tricks would (and should) be considered exploits. having someone holy heal you while you stand and take damage from mob/turret of choice for 24 hours really should be classed as an exploit.

let's hear an uber-fast leveling story that doesn't involve a PPU. i fear we may have a long wait though.

XaNToR
04-03-04, 18:18
10h to cap a PE

8 h power leveling 2 h con level ..

Myrlin
04-03-04, 18:23
I don't mind hearing the stories about having a PPU tag along, as long as its clear that thats how it was done.

@rh - AOE for a rifle spy? :P

rhPhMe
04-03-04, 18:24
didnt know you were a spy......just keep hunting warbots....over and over and over till u cap...

:)

Candaman
04-03-04, 18:27
got from fresh to 54 str in 4 hours last nite on a tank

Victor Crowe
04-03-04, 18:27
Originally posted by s0apy
let's hear an uber-fast leveling story that doesn't involve a PPU. i fear we may have a long wait though.

Tank, Drugs, Melee, Reveller, Rhino. The short story of getting a tank to 100 STR, 88 CON during a weekend. If there wouldnt be some other stuff to do on the side, it would be like 18 hours straight.

rhPhMe
04-03-04, 18:31
PPU's are easy to level......Start as APU.....get to 90 or so PSI then lom to PPU...then mooch the rest of the levels from teams :)

Strych9
04-03-04, 18:33
PPUs are pretty easy.

1. Level via hard/very hard research missions. (--> /19)
2. Go to Military Bunker and team. (--> /30)
3. Go to caves and team. (--> cap except int)

rhPhMe
04-03-04, 18:35
My way is faster :)

jernau
04-03-04, 18:35
I recently got an APU to low 90s PSI in just under 24 hours play-time. That was with a PPU glued to my arse. STR, CON and DEX were capped and he could drug to heavy belts, so about 80 INT I guess.

Normally I don't care too much for powerlevelling but it was actually really fun to see the levels flying by.

Clownst0pper
04-03-04, 18:40
Took me 3 days to get my droner from starting stats to 90 base dex and int.

Took me 5 days to get my monk from starting stats to 96 base Psi, 84 base int.

Took me one week to fully cap my Private Eye

Took me 2 weeks to cap my tank, and then lom him to melee, then lom him back to H-C.

I have a routine as a lowbie, then just cave it.

Piss easy

jernau
04-03-04, 18:40
Originally posted by rhPhMe
didnt know you were a spy......just keep hunting warbots....over and over and over till u cap...

Warbots are way to low level for a spy to cap on.

GT_Rince
04-03-04, 18:43
Hmm - my Spy I managed to get to dex 75 in 3 evenings lvling (not hard levelling) - that was about 2-3 hours per night.

My PPU is still on PSI 93 and has been for a long time :D

My Tank is (I think) about 84 STR base (has been for a long time) and my PE is capped. Capped the PE in about 5 days play - again, just evenings.

Myrlin
04-03-04, 18:43
Originally posted by jernau
Warbots are way to low level for a spy to cap on.

What do you recommend?

GT_Rince
04-03-04, 18:44
Originally posted by Myrlin
What do you recommend?

You will have to get teams and go caving.

Psyco Groupie
04-03-04, 18:48
Anything but a monks int and a tanks con can be capped pretty quickly

Myrlin
04-03-04, 18:49
Originally posted by Psyco Groupie
Anything but a monks int and a tanks con can be capped pretty quickly

Can you elaborate on how quickly and how you go about it?

Psyco Groupie
04-03-04, 18:52
What character are ya and what level ?

Myrlin
04-03-04, 18:56
Current I'm a dex 85 rifle spy, but I'm really looking for info for all classes.

s0apy
04-03-04, 18:59
why is it that nearly every fast levelling trick involves caves, teams and a PPU? seems to me that it's too damm easy to get XP in the caves with a PPU and team (presumably near impossible solo, or at least too slow to be considered power-levelling). small wonder that certain folks cry fowl whenever a nerf of foreign-cast shelters or ressurect is called for - all the folks levelling their chars to cap in a few hours might actually have to work for their XP.

since it's possible to get a mainstat to 95 in just a few hours with cave, team and PPU then a serious rethink needs to be made of either the cave XP as a whole, or the seriously unbalanced affect that PPUs have on levelling.

this kind of powerlevelling simply should not be possible.

Myrlin
04-03-04, 19:02
why is it that nearly every fast levelling trick involves caves, teams and a PPU? seems to me that it's too damm easy to get XP in the caves with a PPU and team (presumably near impossible solo, or at least too slow to be considered power-levelling). small wonder that certain folks cry fowl whenever a nerf of foreign-cast shelters or ressurect is called for - all the folks levelling their chars to cap in a few hours might actually have to work for their XP.

since it's possible to get a mainstat to 95 in just a few hours with cave, team and PPU then a serious rethink needs to be made of either the cave XP as a whole, or the seriously unbalanced affect that PPUs have on levelling.

this kind of powerlevelling simply should not be possible.

Even though I'm disappointed that most everything involves a PPU and the caves, I suppose its better than people hinting that you can cap out in a night if you go shoot a turret that can't shoot you back or something. That's honestly how I thought people were doing it. Then again, maybe they are and just aren't saying it here.

SigmaDraconis
04-03-04, 19:04
i went from 13-88 base DEX fighting only warbots solo in about 2 days with a spy a few aggies before hand and DoY bots till cap, spies are slower if u solo like that but you get TONS of money and TONS of techs.

Psyco Groupie
04-03-04, 19:04
PPU - past psi 20 or something you need a team, self explanatory.
APU - with enough med's you can level ok on your own but a ppu will level you alot quicker, level in caves, use barrels.
PE - with or without a ppu leveling is pretty much easy as pie - might need ppu to leveling con faster in caves or something
TANK - get psi capped and some nice spells and go solo anything - aoe + caves = best
SPY - You've got PA so grab a nrg belt and go slaugther warbots or get inq 1 and fire belt and do firemobs

If you've already gathered all this, tweak your con and take on the highest possible mobs and/or get in some time with a ppu

I find big teams are crap, unless your the ppu - so best to goto another cave doing all the dmg than doing 10 % to each mob than getting 30 % team exp

Oh yeah - get decent weapons .. and mod them 'right' and you'll be more powerful earlier

Strych9
04-03-04, 19:06

this kind of powerlevelling simply should not be possible. Nah its easy to solo, as long as you dont have to rely on a direct fire weapon (i.e. as long as you have access to AOE or barrels...). I often wish the caves would be empty so I could plow through on my tank on my own. :)

Dont blame players for what you say above. KK explicitly WANTED teams to be a focus in the game- there used to not be any team exp. And KK also boosted mob damage BECAUSE of the role of the PPU.

So dont act like players are spoiled- big teams facing tough mobs is what players enjoy and what KK wanted, at least to some extent.

If you spend any time in the caves, you would know that S/D is NOT what gets you through the caves. Its buffs and heals and rezz, period.

Rieper
04-03-04, 19:07

but tbh why would you want to do that, part of playing and enjoying the game is to do things while leveling, having alaugh and shit.

QD did it without a ppu.. shame his tank was nibbish :p.. and he wanted me to remind you he also took a monk to psi 99 in 24 hours :)

jernau
04-03-04, 19:15
Originally posted by Myrlin
What do you recommend?

Depends on you weapons of choice.

For drones - Graves, Gaia or Swamps
For rifles - Fire Mobs or Horrors

Chaos caves are great if you get a good team but you are more vulnerable to PKers and bad teams can drag you down. Personally I prefer soloing on rifles and drones unless it's with very specific teams.

Disturbed021
04-03-04, 19:16
Originally posted by rhPhMe
PPU's are easy to level......Start as APU.....get to 90 or so PSI then lom to PPU...then mooch the rest of the levels from teams :)

Dunno why alot of ppl think it is quicker leveling APU then loming to PPU.
I got a PPU from scratch to PSI 85 in like 2-3 days. As long as you have a team to level with it goes really fast.
I guess the problem could be finding noobish teams to level with at the early levels, tho I never have a prob finding lowbies to level with...*shrug*

KimmyG
04-03-04, 19:23
PE's can be capped in about a day if your hjave everything ready to go.

jernau
04-03-04, 19:24
Originally posted by Strych9
If you spend any time in the caves, you would know that S/D is NOT what gets you through the caves. Its buffs and heals and rezz, period.

This is something more PPUs should learn IMO.

A capped holy heal can keep almost any character alive against any single mob except a boss and keep a good player alive against almost anything. Yet I still see PPUs scratching their asses while their team are without heal-bubbles.

Just a pet peev you might say but a good PPU can get a team through a cave 10x faster than a bad one. If you really want to level fast - team with the right people.

jernau
04-03-04, 19:28
Originally posted by Disturbed021
Dunno why alot of ppl think it is quicker leveling APU then loming to PPU.
I got a PPU from scratch to PSI 85 in like 2-3 days. As long as you have a team to level with it goes really fast.
I guess the problem could be finding noobish teams to level with at the early levels, tho I never have a prob finding lowbies to level with...*shrug*

That's less that a quarter of your PSI and therefore less than a tenth of your INT done.

Your rank will become a problem soon when it comes to finding a team.

wrt PEs - you can cap a PE by farting. It's one of the reasons I dont' play them much.

/edit - Double post, sorry. Post faster people...

Strych9
04-03-04, 20:22
That's less that a quarter of your PSI and therefore less than a tenth of your INT done.

Your rank will become a problem soon when it comes to finding a team.

wrt PEs - you can cap a PE by farting. It's one of the reasons I dont' play them much.

/edit - Double post, sorry. Post faster people... As a side not about managing rank on a PPU or APU- its the Psi Use that kills you.

My PPU is now around 37 combat rank, and I find myself real close to others of my same skill level. Why? Cause I have a 125 in Barter right now. :)

So maybe if people believe in using LOMs to change entire levelling paths, then dont pump too much Int into PSi Use while levelling, and LOM it all into PSU once done. Then you get the benefit of manageable ranks AND a side tradeskill in the meanwhile.

My barter is permanent though. Hehe.

jernau
04-03-04, 20:36
GP - I use poke the same way, though not as much. I will probably keep it as I think it fits a PPU's support role.

g0rt
04-03-04, 21:09
You can powerlevel a PE to cap in a day easily. Its all about stamina, and having a PPU pet on either your laptop on a diff acct or a friend thats willing to spend 15+ hours helping you.

You can easily take a monk to 100 psi in one day as well, but not int/dex

Its as simple as sitting down in ur app with ur 0/2 noob and doing some "illegal" con work to about 25 con, speccing full poison, and going right into the chaos caves...and you gotta have slotted weapons ready to go all the way up, teh more the better... some people will gain 20 dex levels on one weapon...SLOW! whenever you can, upgrade to the next weapon...higher tl = more exp.

Strych9
04-03-04, 21:15
Originally posted by g0rt
whenever you can, upgrade to the next weapon...higher tl = more exp. Just a note on this:

I dont think we know EXACTLY how to get the best exp. It is made up of one or more of the following factors

1. Your weap TL independent of rank
2. Your combat rank (which is affected by the TL of your weap of course)
3. The diff in combat rank between you and the mob

I will say this- my melee tank is 23/30 or something like that. I get exp right now faster from */* mobs than I do from **/** mobs.

Matthew.v.smith
04-03-04, 21:18
Rank 52 and PA 2 by the end of the week.

Matty.:angel:

Edit: on my tank ofc.

jernau
04-03-04, 21:23
I don't believe you can get a monk to 100 PSI in a day.

I got to 91 or 92 in about 24 hours of play (ie several sessions adding up to 24 hours playing). That's at best half way there.

Admittedly I spent a few hours capping DEX but even so I estimate you'd need at least an extra 24 hours of play-time even if you had an exceptional team ready to help you.

Originally posted by Strych9
Just a note on this:

I dont think we know EXACTLY how to get the best exp. It is made up of one or more of the following factors

1. Your weap TL independent of rank
2. Your combat rank (which is affected by the TL of your weap of course)
3. The diff in combat rank between you and the mob

I will say this- my melee tank is 23/30 or something like that. I get exp right now faster from */* mobs than I do from **/** mobs.

Try to keep the mobs yellow to you. It's not always possible but you certainly don't want anything green in your sights. The higher your combat rank the better as long as the mobs are yellow or red.

Psyco Groupie
04-03-04, 21:27
All you need is a ppu, a truck load of boosters and every spell your gonna need to level (high tl = more exp) and you've got an apu capped :)

g0rt
04-03-04, 21:42
I don't believe you can get a monk to 100 PSI in a day.

I got to 91 or 92 in about 24 hours of play (ie several sessions adding up to 24 hours playing). That's at best half way there.

Admittedly I spent a few hours capping DEX but even so I estimate you'd need at least an extra 24 hours of play-time even if you had an exceptional team ready to help you.

Try to keep the mobs yellow to you. It's not always possible but you certainly don't want anything green in your sights. The higher your combat rank the better as long as the mobs are yellow or red.

How did I cap PSI on all three of my monks so fast? PPU on my laptop with holy heal sanc up, and constant chaos cave runs WITHOUT A TEAM...meaning when I hit those lieutenant runs were talking millions and millions of exp. I remember on my apu getting over 20mill in two back-to-back lieutie runs....thats going for MAX exp, aka no team, 100% barrels, sheltered lieuties so the barrels hardly hurt them and they pump out babies for max amount of time.

The only way I see it possible to get 100 psi in a day is to get mad con off hte bat, spec enough poison so with a haz3 and filter1 you have 114, and hit the caves....barreling the entire time, I think uninterrupted you can do it in a day...

The funny thing about PSI also is I find going from 90-100 psi extremely quick, once you tap into the rare barrels, exp seems to basically double...so sure you need like 8mill to gain a level instead of 4mill you needed a few levels back, but your trucking in double exp. I mean I can leech close to 2mill sometimes out of a single lieutie sitting in a small room.

Shadow Dancer
04-03-04, 21:43
yup, caving with an unteamed ppu can level the apu extremely fast.

Psyco Groupie
04-03-04, 21:44
give the game away why dont ya :)

BombShell
04-03-04, 21:47
i found spot way bak when. i lvled from 93 str - 100 str in 3 hours :)

it was before u had to lieve so cave can spawn.

that was fun.

capped PE in 2 days

monk i was to lazy took me 3 weeks ;) as a hybrid

spy almost capped in a week. then lommed but for somereason its not as fast as it used to.

extract
04-03-04, 21:48
well I got to 100 psi in a week on my apu on saturn caving, but that was die hard caving non stop for like 4 hours a day for a week.....but that was before the new GR policy when there was ALWAYS a team in the caves....

I have a spy that im lvling up on uranus, if there wasnt a certain BD clan whos response everyday of the week was "nope clan only today" and i refuse to join them just to cave....then Id have capped him long ago, but now im restricted to wb hunting only, at 85 base dex 41 mil XP i need approx 113 mil to cap dex which at about 4 mil a day(thats my current rate for XP huntin wbs) is gonna be about another 28 days before I cap dex :/ of course thats if i play 28 days straight......

jernau
04-03-04, 21:49
@gort - that's pretty much exactly my method. Only real difference is I don't use rare barrels, just the Holy ones. The mana cost is too retarded on the Rares for my liking.

My estimate above is from doing it that way a few weeks ago. Did you do your's before the recent APU nerfs?

Strych9
04-03-04, 21:50
Team rules indicate that teamed players get 10% of the exp from teams, and it doesnt say that the 10% is actually deduced from those that are earning it. It only says the teamed runner gets the equiv of 10% of what the others earn. I know you totally share the money, but do you lose that much exp when teaming with a PPU?

Shadow Dancer
04-03-04, 21:50
@gort - that's pretty much exactly my method. Only real difference is I don't use rare barrels, just the Holy ones. The mana cost is too retarded on the Rares for my liking.

Holy firestorm wipes can wipe out a small cave room in like 5 seconds.

To me it's much easier to use holy FS.

And um, I don't think their are any apu nerfs that have effected caving. :p

Zanathos
04-03-04, 21:51
I havent capped ANY of my characters yet :p

my tank since october is not capped in str or dex or con
my PE since november is not capped in con
my ppu since october is not capped in int, dex, str, con, psi (very close to dex, str and con)
my spy since.... well..... mid febuary is not capped in int, dex, con, and psi

Im not in a rush to cap my characters.

jernau
04-03-04, 21:55
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
And um, I don't think their are any apu nerfs that have effected caving. :p

Tbh - I'm not sure on that - prior to this APU I had hardly touched an APU spell since before "hybrid" was the normal and just called "monk". I thought they got hit with the nerf-bat a few patches back but maybe that was just the direct-fire stuff and the psi-pool.

g0rt
04-03-04, 21:59

My estimate above is from doing it that way a few weeks ago. Did you do your's before the recent APU nerfs?

All my monks have been capped psi for some time, so yes...

And when im trying to really powerlevel, I spare no expense...ill buy 4x250 packs of psi boosters before hitting hte caves on a noob.

BombShell
04-03-04, 22:01
Originally posted by g0rt
All my monks have been capped psi for some time, so yes...

And when im trying to really powerlevel, I spare no expense...ill buy 4x250 packs of psi boosters before hitting hte caves on a noob.

how many u hav now 7 monks. ever time i see u your on a diffrent monk

Shadow Dancer
04-03-04, 22:04
Tbh - I'm not sure on that - prior to this APU I had hardly touched an APU spell since before "hybrid" was the normal and just called "monk". I thought they got hit with the nerf-bat a few patches back but maybe that was just the direct-fire stuff and the psi-pool.

Aside from the range nerf, I haven't seen any apu nerfs that effect pvm.

Well Hl was nerfed, but that was very recent and thanatos did say it was unintended.

g0rt
04-03-04, 22:05
Originally posted by BombShell
how many u hav now 7 monks. ever time i see u your on a diffrent monk

hahahaha :lol: only three monks....ppu, apu and hybrid

Psyco Groupie
04-03-04, 22:06
g0rts gonna post a thread named "[Brainport] 10 monks = super pope" next week :)

g0rt
04-03-04, 22:08
g0rts gonna post a thread named "[Brainport] 10 monks = super pope" next week :)

Ya I got too many chars :( I just can't stand loming or rerolling, i know so many players with one acct that change at least one of htier chars every week....never know if thier monks apu, ppu or hybrid, never know if thier tanks melee or hc, never know if thier spy is drone, pistol or rifle....they spend more time transferring items so they can reroll the char and loming capped chars then they do actually playing the game....i swing towards the open-new-acct solution over the reroll/lom solution :p

Psyco Groupie
04-03-04, 22:17
If you can teach ... (what retarded slogan's we have in the UK)

but yeah .. ive got 2 accounts now .. its sweet fun having a variety of chars .. plus you can ppu yourself :)

Shadow Dancer
04-03-04, 22:17
I wish I had g0rt's patience to level up chars. :(

Psyco Groupie
04-03-04, 22:18
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
I wish I had g0rt's patience to level up chars. :(

You play on pluto, remember!

g0rt
04-03-04, 22:21
If you can teach ... (what retarded slogan's we have in the UK)

but yeah .. ive got 2 accounts now .. its sweet fun having a variety of chars .. plus you can ppu yourself :)

I agree...variety is the spice of life.

The only downside to having a ton of chars is staying extremely good at any single one of them. In my opinion I can play any char in the game better then the average player, but I do think I was a much better dueler on my PE back when he was my ONLY char on saturn....

These days I play 5+ different chars a day, its tough to keep your aiming 100% crisp on every single one of them....

Vid Gamer
04-03-04, 23:24
I leveled a melee Tank on Saturn using rares in about two days.

I agree some classes are easier then others to level up, but if you know what to do and where to go, leveling in Neocron is a breeze, it's just getting all the uber end game equipment that is a pain.