PDA

View Full Version : OT: What compression program do you use?

BramTops
03-03-04, 20:38
We started a "nice" discussion about it in "some other" thread... now lets get it on here!

g0rt
03-03-04, 20:51
winrar all the way

handles everything just as good if not better then the programs MADE to handle only thier own compressed files....

in my opinion of course :p

hivemind
03-03-04, 20:53
WinRAR.

Why bother with anything else?

Carinth
03-03-04, 20:59
I use 7-Zip because I'm a non comformist and stuff. Actualy it's cause I ran into some .7z files which Winrar couldn't handle. 7-zip has areally streamlined interface and is slightly faster then WinRar. It's nice to not have a bloated gui to deal with. There are only a couple things Winrar is better at, namely handling .rar's So I keep it around for those.

GT_Rince
03-03-04, 21:00
What's compression? o_O

I don't think I have ever zipped anything up - never had any cause to :)

GambitFlame
03-03-04, 21:25
definatly winrar

Winzip was just crappy after i used this

g0rt
03-03-04, 21:39
Originally posted by Carinth
I use 7-Zip because I'm a non comformist and stuff. Actualy it's cause I ran into some .7z files which Winrar couldn't handle. 7-zip has areally streamlined interface and is slightly faster then WinRar. It's nice to not have a bloated gui to deal with. There are only a couple things Winrar is better at, namely handling .rar's So I keep it around for those.

Winrar is one of hte least bloated compression utilities for windows I have personally ever used.

.7z files? Never heard of them....they couldn't be used by many people.

Mighty Max
03-03-04, 21:42
WinRAR - plain and effective

Carinth
03-03-04, 21:48
Originally posted by g0rt
Winrar is one of hte least bloated compression utilities for windows I have personally ever used.

.7z files? Never heard of them....they couldn't be used by many people.

http://www.7-zip.org/

It's new and a much better compression format then zip. I didn't know about it until I tried to get something from irc and all the fserves had this .7z format. Believe me 7zip's interface makes winrar look bloated. It has almost all of the same functionality, just much less flashier gui. The only format it couldn't handle was .ace files, and a few .rar files it thought were broken when they were actualy fine. That's why i keep winrar around for the few times 7zip doesnt work.

ZoomZoom
03-03-04, 22:24
WINRAR WOOOOOOOOOWHO

Shujin
03-03-04, 22:45
i wub winrar, but i also use zip.XL it has assloads of diff compression types, .rar, .ace, .zip, zlib, .pk, lots and lots more... ;o u + sexors + my pocket = sticky pocket.

subsys
03-03-04, 22:49
Powerarchiver, winrar, and of course tar (winrar has problems with bz sometimes, PA cant do rar or zips so i need both)

Shujin
03-03-04, 22:51
ok heres a small list of the stuff zip.XL can do '
http://www.neotarin.com/u.jpg

you can also update it to have more, it can also encrypt and all the stuff u'd want it to ;] i wub it

StryfeX
03-03-04, 23:03
There's no choice for "All of them." :\

But anyway... I use WinZip for ZIP, WinRar for RAR, and WinAce for ACE. If I pack stuff for my own use, I usually use WinAce to get the stuff as small as possible; if I pack stuff for mass-comsumption or my friends, I usually use WinZip.

And if I run into some really wierd-ass compression, Total Commander can usually take it on and smack it down. ;)

--Stryfe

subsys
03-03-04, 23:13
hmm, wanders off to try find and try zip.XL

edit :

zip.XL
The distribution of this product has been temporarily terminated.

from the homepage, feel like passing a copy this way mate?

Shujin
03-03-04, 23:27
dont have the installer anymore but ill zip up the program files to it, but dunno if itll work or not without whatever regristry entries it makes.

Shujin
03-03-04, 23:30
ok im uploadin it to my host right now,

http://www.neotarin.com/zipxl2003.rar

think its discontinued because after its trial is up its still fully functional.

edit: ok its uploaded now.

subsys
03-03-04, 23:49
its HUGE O_o

thanks tho, ill see if it works

•Super|\|ova•
03-03-04, 23:51
WinRAAAWWWRRR!!!

g0rt
04-03-04, 00:23
Originally posted by Carinth
http://www.7-zip.org/

It's new and a much better compression format then zip. I didn't know about it until I tried to get something from irc and all the fserves had this .7z format. Believe me 7zip's interface makes winrar look bloated. It has almost all of the same functionality, just much less flashier gui. The only format it couldn't handle was .ace files, and a few .rar files it thought were broken when they were actualy fine. That's why i keep winrar around for the few times 7zip doesnt work.

Ill check that out

Richard Angelus
04-03-04, 00:45
i hate winrar for their update policy.......
near every little patch (or new Version :lol: ) there is a change in the compress methode so you cant open those **** files with a 'older' version

thats stupid........why those bastards can't wait and then bring out a much better version at once

the effect of those changes are so small....thats not worth it that the use has to download so 'often' new versions of Winrar

i votet for winace.....because the alg and the GUI is good
PS: if you don't understand what I said....it's ok.....my fault :D

Shujin
04-03-04, 04:27
Originally posted by subsys
its HUGE O_o

thanks tho, ill see if it works o.0 7.7 mb is far from huge o.0 i guess u didnt download the beta of nc o.0 it was over a gb o.0

StryfeX
04-03-04, 08:02
Originally posted by Shujin
o.0 7.7 mb is far from huge o.0 i guess u didnt download the beta of nc o.0 it was over a gb o.0 Wha?! 7.7 megs for a compression program? He's right, that *is* huge. Between WinAce, WinRar, and WinZip, WinAce is the biggest and only weighs in at 3.4 megs. WinRar is less than a meg. o_O

--Stryfe

Shujin
04-03-04, 08:24
Originally posted by StryfeX
Wha?! 7.7 megs for a compression program? He's right, that *is* huge. Between WinAce, WinRar, and WinZip, WinAce is the biggest and only weighs in at 3.4 megs. WinRar is less than a meg. o_O

--Stryfe more than a compression program, and this isnt the installer, the installers for those programs are small but after installed they are all prolly 5+mb.

and this has ALOT of stuff i dont even know what it is, it has some skinning stuff and bunch of stuff i duno wtf it is o.0