PDA

View Full Version : If you thought the DMCA was bad...

StryfeX
03-03-04, 19:15
Wait until you get a lead of this directive taking shape in the EU.

Clicky. (http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/ZDM/EU_digital_rights_pcmag_040302.html)

One part that really makes me feel sorry for you EU people if this goes through is this:

Two specific provisions within the directive, titled "Anton Pillar Orders" and "Mareva Injunctions" call for recording industry executives to have the right to raid the homes of P2P file sharers.o_O

I think images like this might become common-place if this legislation goes through. :D :angel:
http://home.comcast.net/~cydog2001/Pictures/mp3police.jpg

Discuss. (Keep the "I copy MP3s" posts out of this thread, as I don't want this closed.)

--Stryfe

GT_Rince
03-03-04, 19:19
You know what, it is stuff like this that gets peeps paranoid and will force more and more to take measures to ensure no-one can gain access to their machine easily.

Pic is funny tho :D

StryfeX
03-03-04, 19:27
Just noticed something else in the article:

"This goes far beyond the DMCA, which mainly focused on copyright protection," says Robin D. Gross, executive director of IPJustice, an international civil liberties organization. "If you make a copy of a CD and give it to your mother, there are provisions within this directive for recording industry officials to raid your house, and there are similar provisions for doing things like freezing your bank account before there is any kind of hearing."Excuse me, but freezing accounts at all, let alone *BEFORE* a hearing seems a little bit... excessive and unjust. :wtf:

--Stryfe

Psyco Groupie
03-03-04, 19:35
I once copied a vcd for a m8 ... by some poxy spyware riaa told my isp and they sent me a 'last warning' letter a few times ... not had this since adsl tho so im thinking freeperve have some way of sniffing your transfers

They shouldnt be able to access your computer and use it as evidence .. ah well

Rieper
03-03-04, 19:38
www.downhillbattle.org

download music for a political cause.. it doesnt hurt the artist, it hurts the record label. The big 5 have had a stranglehold on music for too long. check it out, an interesting read.

GT_Rince
03-03-04, 19:43
Originally posted by Psyco Groupie
I once copied a vcd for a m8 ... by some poxy spyware riaa told my isp and they sent me a 'last warning' letter a few times ... not had this since adsl tho so im thinking freeperve have some way of sniffing your transfers

They shouldnt be able to access your computer and use it as evidence .. ah well

That's disgusting o_O

Be interesting to find out if they are allowed to do this or are in breach of human rights acts about privacy, etc...

Judge
03-03-04, 19:54
I think that spyware should be illegal. I mean its basically (exactly) the same as bugging your damn phone line.... so why is that illegal and not spyware.

That MP3 police pic is funny. :)

Sanch0s
03-03-04, 20:08
Well, lets just say there gonna have to make jails bigger, theres gonna be alot of court cases.

Xizor
03-03-04, 20:17
It will not go through. It is a serious breach (can you say that? ;)) on civil fucking rights. I have a right to privacy and it that goes through I'm gonna fucking sue EU. HAVE IT J00 PIKEY'S! STOP WHINE!

or something...

Artie
03-03-04, 20:29
On this note...YAY FOR PATRIOT ACTS!!!

I LOVE MY 43RD PRESIDENT SO MUCH I WANT TO...

..............hug him o_O 8| :eek: :wtf:

http://home.comcast.net/~rdeath91/lol.GIF

I'm gonna hafta get ninja on the legislatures ass about this.

sanityislost
03-03-04, 21:12
Damn thats messed up.......... ummmmmmm someone is knocking at my door *shouts "IM NOT IN FUCK OFF"*

Spex
04-03-04, 00:07
"If you make a copy of a CD and give it to your mother, there are provisions within this directive for recording industry officials to raid your house, and there are similar provisions for doing things like freezing your bank account before there is any kind of hearing."

:lol: someone starts dreaming? Infact that would clash with so many laws in european countries the whole thingy can only be a joke (for example only the police is allowed to "raid" an apartment/house and only if they have a search warrant for it; if someone else forces his/her way into your apartment/house, you can call the police to get them out there :p).

Besides it doesn't solve any problems. This music industry drove down the wrong lane and now they see their incoming doom and want to see everyone else suffer with them. Fools.

To quote Biohazard: "Music's for you and me / Not the fucking industry / You fucking tell us what is cool / You see we come from different schools / To us it matters what you say / Not the fucking games you play / You're full of shit, it's plain to see / The whole damn fucking industry" ... this was back in '93.

Spoon
04-03-04, 00:28
Feckin' "New World Order" makes me want to puke.......

http://asis.com/~stag/sealrev2.gif

Lathuc
04-03-04, 00:35
well that is just plain stupid and i thought peeking into anothers comp (without a court order) was a breach of personal rights or something that is just plain scary if this goes through