PDA

View Full Version : [Brainport] Neocron Economics 101

-FN-
03-03-04, 01:17
Let's make money a limited and tangible thing, shall we?

Tie all Yo's vendors together into their own cash pool.
Tie all Yakarma vendors together into their own cash pool.
Tie all HEW vendors together into their own cash pool.
Tie all Cryton's vendors together into their own cash pool.
Tie all the NEXT shop vendors into their own cash pool.
Tie all the DRE shop vendors into their own cash pool.

You get the idea.

Whenever something is bought from them, they get that money and it goes into their company's pool. When you sell something to them, it gets taken from their company's pool.

If I want to sell my batch of 100 ATC keys, I can only sell as much as the vendor's company/faction has "in their pocket". If they can't afford to buy my keys, I'm shit out of luck. Maybe you can sell 10 or 20. Might have to wait a few days... Looks like the market needs some more spending.

Nobody would ever be denied the ability to buy something and add money to the markey, and it would be encouraged to help the NPC economy. However, selling ATC keys, selling batches of spells, or anything else for cash, would no longer come from a magical well of unlimited cash. You could sell what they can afford to buy and you either wait for there to be more money in their market.

Each week a vendors budget would get in influx of cash to take them back to their starting mark, or some variable amount, I'm not really sure how that would work. It would need to be analyzed to gauge how much to add each week. If they're over their mark, the amount is deducted and goes into StockX. Each vendor could be associated with a faction, if it isn't already, and that could be a serious part of the NC Stock Industry...

Thoughts? KK is this even a possibility on your side or should I just go stick my head in a hole...

Myrlin
03-03-04, 01:22
Originally posted by -FN-
Each week a vendors budget would get in influx of cash to take them back to their starting mark, or some variable amount, I'm not really sure how that would work. It would need to be analyzed to gauge how much to add each week. If they're over their mark, the amount is deducted and goes into StockX. Each vendor could be associated with a faction, if it isn't already, and that could be a serious part of the NC Stock Industry...

I like the idea, but it would fail without the venders getting cash every week from KK. As a researcher, I bp an item from a clan member and never buy anything. Therefore I never put money into the vender pool. (Well except for the Cryton pool, I spend more money on res lube then I care to admit).

paolo escobar
03-03-04, 01:24
i'm digging u that hole as i speak.

Sleawer
03-03-04, 01:25
This idea needs a lot more thought than just throwing it alone.
It's not bad, but can't be as simple.

I think it could work, and it would add a better dimension of real economy into the game... just what I said above.

-FN-
03-03-04, 01:49
Originally posted by Myrlin
I like the idea, but it would fail without the venders getting cash every week from KK. As a researcher, I bp an item from a clan member and never buy anything. Therefore I never put money into the vender pool. (Well except for the Cryton pool, I spend more money on res lube then I care to admit).

... that's what the weekly influx of cash would be... depending on how quickly the market would go dry, the frequency of inbound money (from KK) would bring each money pool back up to X credits, or if they're doing well, down to X credits and the excess would support thier stock in StockX.

Bengalmin
03-03-04, 15:26
I think the economics of Neocron needs alot of work, however I don't like your idea (sorry) I just think it is too simple and wont do anything but annoy players

With the player NPC vendors then the economy will become much more vibrant and interesting as the volume of sales goes up items will find a natural level of cost and perhaps this could effect the prices NPCs will pay for items (and sell at)

I played Eve for about a month and while I thought the game in general was dull, the economic system was great!

If neocron adopted some of the basic ideas behind Eve (not ripping too much off) of supply and demand effecting prices then the economy would be a much better place. it would stop the C10 APC trick because the price would plumit due to over supply.

As NPC traders take off then perhaps the supply of items at regular shops could become more limited and people would rely on the PC trade market more

Psyco Groupie
03-03-04, 15:29
The prob with this would be when you do a run of spells / weapons you'd be stuck with em, maybe just make it so you can only get 5 million a day from selling stuff .. wouldnt exactly stop much tho

Benjie
03-03-04, 15:30
Yes. This type of economy would mean that money is never created, or taken away.

In short, it would fix the economy 100% forever.

-FN-
03-03-04, 15:47
Well, technically, if you sold a million worth of your csted spells and the store ran out of money, then you sold another million the next day after they received more cash, you'd have 2 million in two days and could continue that, effectively still making ways to gain money, just not an unlimited amount everyday. If 5 PPUs lose their lvl 3 belts in their belts and have to buy new ones and some armor, there's more money that can be gotten from the Yakarma vendors. And certain vendors of course would have larger budgets than others, such as the NEXT and Yak people, but not infinite.

t0tt3
03-03-04, 16:20
more like IRL...

If you try to sell 100 APC:s you will get jackshit for the last ones, INFLATION!!!!!! But to put in a IRL economy system in NC without bugs... :rolleyes:

get real

no

kill this idea dont want any major bugs that makes my APU piss fire or get to heavy for running around with 5 Mill coins :p

Gulinborsti
03-03-04, 16:26
Good idea, might work with some tweaking here and there.
Also bindings between vendors and certain factions should affect and/or be affected by StockX, too.

IceStorm
03-03-04, 16:31
Let's make money a limited and tangible thing, shall we?
Why?

I still don't see any problem with Neocron's economy...

And you're one to talk - SXR has a 160+ barterer in its ranks. You want to screw everyone over now that your clan's got a fortune squirled away? What about the salvanging your clan does/did on broken vehicle keys to obtain the parts necessary to MAKE MORE KEYS to resell for... MONEY.

I have no sympathy for suggestions to nerf an economy that has no problems as it stands now. It needs expansion, not nerfing, but that's a different issue entirely and is apparently being dealt with in BDOY.

SmackDaddy
04-06-04, 18:56
The economy is broken and some supply and demand rules would help. Some other things might need to be fixed too, but this is a good start.

Real economies have limited money supplies at all levels - individuals, companies, nations. Ignoring this leads to inflation.

Vendors that will keep buying the same item over and over, ad infinitum, are just bogus. What car dealer, for example, would buy dozens, or hundreds, of vehicles at one time? Vendors that somehow are willing to do this bring about (wait for it) inflation.

Of course there is no inflation of prices since this is the ultimate command economy. But the money supply is hugely inflated.

If you want to make and sell hundreds of the same item, you can't (or at least shouldn't be able to) dump them all at the neighborhood shop. You need to have an arrangement with the company at a higher level, ie be a supplier (and guess what - in order to get that, you will have to sell to the company at a much lower price), or if you want to sell direct to shops you have to distribute the goods to all the different shops.

OK, Neocron isn't about economics, so maybe this won't be a priority for the devs. But it is a world, and the economy should make a little more sense.

retr0n
04-06-04, 19:03
Crahn Holy Forum Ressurection Constructed by SmackDaddy with 5 free slots

:p

Jest
04-06-04, 19:05
Hmmm I love it. Sounds like a great idea.

Mumblyfish
04-06-04, 19:18
And you're one to talk - SXR has a 160+ barterer in its ranks.

...Kiss... my... arse.

I like this idea. Making ATCs non-profitable was a good start, but more needs to be done to cut down the amount of money people make. Until MC5s can be bought for under 20 million, there's a problem.

SmackDaddy
04-06-04, 20:34
Crahn Holy Forum Ressurection Constructed by SmackDaddy with 5 free slots

:p
YEAH BABY! :lol: That would be Linx, he's the conster...

Until MC5s can be bought for under 20 million, there's a problem.

Ah yes, there is inflation...

Mirco
04-06-04, 20:43
What to do with the endless stream of cash that originates from mob hunting?

It doesnt take long to raise some serious cash in the scorpion pits for instance.

msdong
04-06-04, 22:42
i would like to replace all the vendors with player shops and only a few faction shops sell weapons to players of their faction

EDIT: ok not at once. ppl buy the licence to replace a standart vendor with an player shop. so if you like you can buy a keeper in P1 Psi shop and replace one of the keepers.

and just dont make shops buy stuff. there are so many players like to run shops out there.

so if you really like to make money on APC buy a ASG licence and SELL them to PLAYERS

to those barter guys. yes you can still use you skill. the shopkeepers are still NPC that cut of the % from the original prize and there will still be crytons and ammo shops tu buy the usual stuff.

Lareolan
05-06-04, 00:38
I disagree. Unless KK also implement a way for people to BUY items from the vendoors thus putting money back into the system, it's worthless and will only serve one purpose: Make the rich even richer and the poor even poorer... Think about it... If someone has money, they are also the ones with the 100APCs, which they will go, sell and exhaust the "money pool" instantly while the poor people will be stuck with what they have.

And yes I know you CAN buy stuff from vendoors, but come on! Who in their right mind would USE a "better" gun? Or heck, a "bad" one if bought from a nomad or Yo's?

Definitely a poorly thought out idea. But it has potential. Try to rethink it, add more dimention to it and then try again.
(I'd offer some ideas, but I really have no ideas at the moment as to how to fix your idea to make it useful).