PDA

View Full Version : The new faction alignments in BDoY

ResurgencE
02-03-04, 19:32
Right. Gonna attempt to keep this as succinct as possible.

As it stands now, the various factions in-game have been very well thought out. Unfortunately, the servers lack the numbers to ensure that every faction plays a vital role in the grand scheme of things. Thus, we have the problem of certain factions being entirely empty. Additionally, we have a greater problem in the faction alliances, wherein the enemy of my friend could also be my friend, and thus i cannot help him out without suffering from a major hit to SL (which will prolly be re-vamped in BDoY anyway).

Heres my proposition. The fighting sides are evenly split into two or three groups, and each of these factions are allied with one another within that group. For example, you could stick CA, Next, TT and PP in one group, and each of them would be allied to one another and they would all share a common enemy. This would solve the problem of not being able to side with your allies because the opposition is also your ally (Take the example of NEXT attempting to take sides in a rumble between CA and BD.)

So one might ask, what would be the point of belonging to a faction to begin with? It'll just wind up being another Planetside fiasco, wont it? Not necessarily. Each and every faction will retain their story backdrop, so people who wish to be associated with the law will head into CA, and those who wish to be freedom fighters will mosey on into TG, etc. Secondly, to ensure that each faction provides an incentive to their members, i propose we have faction perks exclusive of the mandatory epics. Epic items ought to be usable by any faction, in my opinion...But the faction perks will only be accessible to you if you belong to that faction.

The idea was inspired by playing a bit of SWG and C&C:Red alert. In red alert, the factions are divided into two groups with similar goals and weaponry, but what distinguishes one from the other is the one item which each country gets which no other country has. As i mentioned before, epics should remain the same way as they are now, for if they decide to make epic items faction-only, we'll have all the monks hole up in Tsunami, and thats ridiculous.

The faction perks should be different for every single faction, and should bind a runner to the faction he chooses. Furthermore, though they will be varied, no perk should outclass another or be class-specific, or once again we'll face the dilemma of uneven factions.

What the faction perks consist of, i leave up to you to decide.

Marx
02-03-04, 19:36
How about we wait and see what actually comes before we try and make decisions?

For all we know, a system like this will be introduced - who knows.

ResurgencE
02-03-04, 19:39
Might as well throw some ideas about, since it might avert the possibility of them implementing something that wont sit well with us.

Lifewaster
02-03-04, 19:56
Meridian59 was like this also.

Had 3 factions, and a real sweet system where faction bonus was diluted by the amount of ppl in it so overfilling one faction was counterproductive.

Also , all faction members gained pretty much the same bonus , rather than just single clans hogging it.

Hopefully DOY will revamp things.

ResurgencE
02-03-04, 19:58
Cant say ive heard of that game, but it certainly had the right idea.

As Marx said, hopefully BDoY will incorporate something similar.

Strych9
02-03-04, 20:21
Considering BDOY will change factional AND SL systems... its really almost pointless to even discuss anything. If we knew details about one OR the other, then we can postulate on how the other would have to function for the system to be useable.

For example:

In BODY they might...

1. Have Crahn, TG, BD, TS, etc. in DOY. City factions stay in Neocron.

Now that would be awful- BD and TG and TS being on the same "side"... we know that BD hates TG and TS (and everyone else for that matter).

However what if

2. The SL system was changed so that if you attack a neutral faction, you take a very SMALL SL hit, instead of the same large one you get for attacking enemy factions?

Well, then we could have it so DOY factions are neutral to each other, but still have all of the city factions as enemies.

That would maintain the focus we KNOW they want of DOY vs Neocron... but it would still allow neutrals to fight, ie. fights between same-city factions.

See, we have to speculate on BOTH aspects... factional and SL to even begin to get a clear picture.

Too many variables right now. Wait til we get more info on the faction or SL changes... or just wait for BDOY.

Heavyporker
03-03-04, 04:54
NExT is more business oriented than fighting, believe me. We handle FAR more business in transportation services than through direct conflict activities or sale of combat vehicles.

Bl@zed
03-03-04, 05:41
i say split them into anti city and pro city, then have a third faction for tradeskillers, that you can only join up on ONE character within your account, this third faction will be allied to everyone so they can go to all the cities and such to trade =)

Bl@zed
03-03-04, 05:43
but you can;t kill anyone on that character in the traders faction, it should be a automatic -17 sl penalty for pk;ing while your in that faction, to prevent any trader clan killers :p

this will also be awsome for people that just trade :)

ServeX
03-03-04, 08:14
Originally posted by Heavyporker
NExT is more business oriented than fighting, believe me. We handle FAR more business in transportation services than through direct conflict activities or sale of combat vehicles.

yea, I've noticed that...NExT has some good fighters, but they are mostly tradeskill oriented and driving oriented.