PDA

View Full Version : Team Speak / Ventrillo

Crest
02-03-04, 10:04
I am looking at getting either for my clan....

Anyone got some advice on which is the better , Costs and hosting....

Who is the better provider , and who is the best / best value for money ..

Tips welcome

Revslad
02-03-04, 10:12
teamspeak is a free program , you can host it from a server computer , or if you dont have one mabe ask a member in your clan to host it if he has a server... but i wouldnt pay for one

but if you prefer there are alot of free public servers , mabe you can speak with the server admin and ask if he can create you a special neocron chanel for you guys

same applies to ventrilo btw...

and on the topic of whats better , imo i think teamspeak is better than ventrilo because its easier and you dont have some stupid robot voice when people enter and leave

(if this doesnt make sence its because i jus woke up :) )

g0rt
02-03-04, 10:15
they're both good, no matter how much people say one or the other sounds clearer is just a pile of uneducated crap, how the guy sounds is dependant on the codec being used, which can be customized in both cases. :rolleyes:

i am partial to teamspeak, for the following reasons:

- i hate the ventrillo voice its just annoying, the ts voice is sexy :D
- moving channels in ventrillo is laggy as all hell
- teamspeak's GUI is much better organised and professional imo
- the *nix based teamspeak server is secure and extremely easy on resources

hope this helps

athon
02-03-04, 14:23
Originally posted by g0rt
they're both good, no matter how much people say one or the other sounds clearer is just a pile of uneducated crap, how the guy sounds is dependant on the codec being used, which can be customized in both cases. :rolleyes:

i am partial to teamspeak, for the following reasons:

- i hate the ventrillo voice its just annoying, the ts voice is sexy :D
- moving channels in ventrillo is laggy as all hell
- teamspeak's GUI is much better organised and professional imo
- the *nix based teamspeak server is secure and extremely easy on resources

hope this helps

We just tried using ventrillo instead of TS. Atleast 2 of our members experianced problems with some sort of memory leak where FPS would drop to 2 and stay there until you restarted NC.

Only real problem we've had with TS is the Num Lock arrow crash, which is easily solved by turning numLock off.

Athon Solo

Shadow Dancer
02-03-04, 14:25
When I use ventrillo, I find it hard to distuingish between the voices of alot of people. Unless their voice is drastically different or they have a noticeable accent. Why is that?

deac
02-03-04, 14:27
I used both and imo ventrillo is much better....

Ohh and the FF vent server is just uber I get a sweet 15-20 ping to it :D

SorkZmok
02-03-04, 14:27
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
When I use ventrillo, I find it hard to distuingish between the voices of alot of people. Unless their voice is drastically different or they have a noticeable accent. Why is that?
Same here. Every second time someone talks to me, i'm unsure who it is. No idea why though. o_O

/edit
Oh yeah, imo ventrillo is better than ts.

deac
02-03-04, 14:28
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer

its the same with phones yes? and the codec does remove a lot from the sound soo it all comes out kinda bland....

Scikar
02-03-04, 14:28
It's just the codecs Shadow. If you use a small codec then the bandwidth use is smaller but the freqency range and sample rate are reduced. That just means you don't hear the subtle intonations of people's voices etc and mostly just hear the main sound. I could do a big diagram etc explaining it but I'm off to a guitar lesson. :)

Darkborg
02-03-04, 14:29
i find the vent client to take up alot less resources than the TS.
and quite a few of our members had some problems with TS that were solved with vent.

Cruzbroker
02-03-04, 15:38
I prefer Ventrilo, takes alot less resources etc.
And I don't understand how is ventrilo hard to use.
No problems AT ALL, but that's just my computer.

OpTi
02-03-04, 15:41
Originally posted by SorkZmok
Same here. Every second time someone talks to me, i'm unsure who it is. No idea why though. o_O

/edit
Oh yeah, imo ventrillo is better than ts.

we're on the same server and i can pick out every persons voice aslong as i have heard it before and remember thier name.

SorkZmok
02-03-04, 16:08
Originally posted by OpTi
we're on the same server and i can pick out every persons voice aslong as i have heard it before and remember thier name. Maybe then its because for a dumb german all english ppl just sound the same anyways. :p :p

OpTi
02-03-04, 16:10
Originally posted by SorkZmok
Maybe then its because for a dumb german all english ppl just sound the same anyways. :p :p

or maybe it's because english isn't your first language i have problems picking out any voice if it's not in english.

Pwnage
02-03-04, 16:25
WTF is Ventrillo?

What's with people always not being satsified with the best? What compels people to go out, download 10 different voice comm. programs and try them out so that they could save 0.001% of your CPU, which then Windows will take right back from you to check if you're running low on diskspace, or if there are unused icons on your desktop or some other stupid built in shit.

TeamSpeak is absolutely great. I haven't had a single problem with it.

deac
02-03-04, 16:41
Originally posted by Pwnage

TeamSpeak is absolutely great. I haven't had a single problem with it.

and I havent had any problems with vent......

I think both progs are about the same...they do the basic job of voice coms just fine...

I still prefer vent...

El_MUERkO
02-03-04, 16:44
SXR use Ventrillo -- SHIELD use TS

I'm regularly on both at the same time, I find both programs to be very handy but TS uses maybe 10/15% more memory and more CPU cycles.

jernau
02-03-04, 17:59
I use both a lot.

Ventrilo is FAR better both client and server side.

TS has a much bigger feature list but that's also why it's lardy, insecure and buggy.

g0rt
02-03-04, 20:17
Originally posted by jernau
I use both a lot.

Ventrilo is FAR better both client and server side.

TS has a much bigger feature list but that's also why it's lardy, insecure and buggy.

Its amusing that you say that when Ventrillo is twice as lardy and buggy :lol:

As for being insecure, show me one teamspeak exploit that would allow someone to damage or gain access to my server with teamspeak running.

Ventrilo client looks like a 16-bit windows 3.11 application, if I wanted to use windows 3.11 I would. Its unorganised as all hell, and completely lagged...switching channels will take 2-3 seconds even if the server is NEXT FUCKING DOOR.

I just don't see how ventrilo is good. Teamspeak has been running for about 3 days on my system and is currently taking up 3,300k of my memory, ive seen ventrillo take up nearly 10k. Which ones the lardo now? :rolleyes:

dr.fish
02-03-04, 20:18
i hate that damn robot voice in ventrilo, teamspeak is da win

Shadow Dancer
02-03-04, 21:02
Originally posted by dr.fish
i hate that damn robot voice in ventrilo,

Hell yea, me too.

jernau
03-03-04, 00:20
Its amusing that you say that when Ventrillo is twice as lardy and buggy :lol:

Disk space for client :
Ventrilo - 3Mb (including logs)
TS - 30Mb (no logs)

Memory for server with 10 users :
Ventrilo - 976k
TS - 280Mb

Max uptime for server :
Ventrilo - 148 days (ended with a power cut)
TS - 11 days

:rolleyes:

As for being insecure, show me one teamspeak exploit that would allow someone to damage or gain access to my server with teamspeak running.

There have been at least three TS exploits in the last 2 years to my knowledge. Hardly surprising when you look at how many memory leaks it has.

Ventrilo client looks like a 16-bit windows 3.11 application, if I wanted to use windows 3.11 I would. Its unorganised as all hell, and completely lagged...switching channels will take 2-3 seconds even if the server is NEXT FUCKING DOOR.

I couldn't care less about how it looks when it so many times better than the pretty alternative. Channel changing is instantaneous for me. I have no idea what you are doing wrong.

The same goes for the voice. Which btw you can either change or remove.

I just don't see how ventrilo is good. Teamspeak has been running for about 3 days on my system and is currently taking up 3,300k of my memory, ive seen ventrillo take up nearly 10k. Which ones the lardo now? :rolleyes:

Something is VERY wrong with your system is all I can say to that.

Des
03-03-04, 03:42
Vent is way better imho. I've used all the voice progs that are out in the mainstream Vent beats them all hands down.

Try them all but I think you'll find that vent is what you'll stay with.

g0rt
03-03-04, 04:21
Disk space for client :
Ventrilo - 3Mb (including logs)
TS - 30Mb (no logs)

Memory for server with 10 users :
Ventrilo - 976k
TS - 280Mb

Max uptime for server :
Ventrilo - 148 days (ended with a power cut)
TS - 11 days

:rolleyes:

Biased. Simply put. My teamspeak server was up for 72 days before i decided to reboot my server. Was unfortunate, I was going for a 300+ day uptime on my server this year, but due to physical movement of the server I had to shut it down :(

But yeah, dunno what kinda unstable joke of a TS server you were running, but my TS server never has to be restarted unless outside influence.

I run both a ventrillo server for a CS clan that hosts off my server, and a TS server...lets take a quick snapshot shall we?

PID USER PRI NI SIZE RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM TIME COMMAND
301 zoneseek 9 0 2424 2424 1488 S 0.3 0.4 28:01 server_linux
312 n0s 9 0 5988 5988 680 S 0.3 1.1 5:41 ventrilo_sr

Look at that, 0.4% mem used from teamspeak, 1.1% used from ventrillo. Currently there are 6 people on the ventrillo server, i think, and 16 of us on teamspeak.

Again I ask you, where are you pulling these numbers from? Your ass, or hard information? :rolleyes:

Currently my disk space usage for the Teamspeak client is 6megs, and no sorry no matter WHAT you say im not gonna change voicecom apps to save 3mb of disk space. Im not a hobo, and im sure no one else on this forum is so tight for money that they have to use a specific voicecom client to save 3mb of hard drive space. Thats gotta be one of the worst arguments ive ever read. :p

There have been at least three TS exploits in the last 2 years to my knowledge. Hardly surprising when you look at how many memory leaks it has.

Not sure if you have seen the TS vs VENTRILLO article at slashdot, but basically it states all the problems with TS and ventrillo, and ventrillo has more. Can't say any of these "phantom" memory leaks you speak about have ever effected my client or server, so again....did this information come from the browneye? :lol:

Keep in mind, throwing out ram usage numbers and whatnot out against me wont work like the usual noob running some 5 version old TS server on thier windows 98 server. If you're looking for some nib conversation about servers, look elsewhere. If you wanna talk cold hard facts, not madeup numbers, dial me up. The fact that you could not run a stable teamspeak server for more then 11 days makes me question whether I can even take your posts about TS/vent seriously or not. :\

jernau
03-03-04, 04:35
Those numbers are from my current server. I've run or administered at least 10 of each and used more than I can remember. In every single case Ventrilo pissed on TS from a great height. I've also used several others as well as both HW and SW VoIP solutions and would only ever recommend Ventrilo unless you want to spend £20k+ on a PBX based solution.

This only reason I still run TS at all is because a very small number of luddites still cling to it for some reason.

I avoid slashdot because it's full of opionated weenies who couldn't agree that 1+1=2 if their lives depended on it.

I know from extensive personal experience - both my own and other IT professionals who DO know what they are doing - that TS is bloatware and has all the atributes you would therefore expect.

The HDD figures were only quoted to indicate which is larger - something you claimed was in-fact the opposite of the actual facts.

/edit to your edit - LMAO is all I can say to that.

g0rt
03-03-04, 04:41
you're just biased, you have absolutely NO hard facts....

im showing you a copy+paste from my server running both TS and ventrillo, ts with double the people on taking less then HALF the resources

you come up with NO hard information, just a bunch of opinions that are incorrect, whether you want to believe it or not...oh and some crap about voice over IP, don't know where that exactly came from were talking about a voicecom program for people who play games not a 10,000+ client wan here, keep your dick in your pants big boy...

anyway, thanks for proving me right

ts > vent

:D

/edit regarding this:

The HDD figures were only quoted to indicate which is larger - something you claimed was in-fact the opposite of the actual facts.

Was quite obviously talking about ram usage on the system, NOT hard drive usage. In a world where a 120gig harddrive hardly can dent your wallet, do you think I would really care how much HARD DRIVE space a certain application uses? Please....

jernau
03-03-04, 04:49
you're just biased, you have absolutely NO hard facts....

im showing you a copy+paste from my server running both TS and ventrillo, ts with double the people on taking less then HALF the resources

you come up with NO hard information, just a bunch of opinions that are incorrect, whether you want to believe it or not

thanks for proving me right

I have no load on either atm - there's nothing to see.

Go find me a single review/comparison that supports anything you have to say or show me stats from a server that wasn't discredited in one of your previous posts as badly misconfigured. Until then I'm afraid your claims of bias apply as well to yourself.

On a less confrontational basis :
You are running them under Linux right? Have you run them under Win32 environments? I've not tried either in Linux so maybe there are bugs in the Ventrilo for Linux. I can assure you though that under Win32 the winner is clearly Ventrilo.

g0rt
03-03-04, 05:00

You are running them under Linux right? Have you run them under Win32 environments? I've not tried either in Linux so maybe there are bugs in the Ventrilo for Linux. I can assure you though that under Win32 the winner is clearly Ventrilo.

Yes, I don't believe server and windows belong in the same sentance. Although I do work on multiple windows servers, I would never have one myself.

Why would I want to lower myself to using a gui-based server that quite obviously ripped off nearly ALL of its predecessors? Anything that windows does as well as unix has been ripped off, and windows 2000+ servers biggest achievement, also known as active directory, is nothing more then a complete and utter ripoff of novell netware.

As much as I know how to, I would never use a windows based server unless being payed to.

All I know is neither ventrillo or teamspeak servers have EVER caused me problems, yet teamspeak takes about half the resources to run then vent does....also on the client side, I find the ventrillo client to use more resources then teamspeak, as well as look extremely bulky and old....as I said earlier, if I wanted to use apps that look and feel like windows 3.11 16bit crap, I would....

Trust me, if the ventrillo client was as well layed out as teamspeak, ran as smoothly, and the server took up the same LOW amount of resources, I would NOT have a preference. No matter what you think, i don't stick to one thing just because I feel like it....and I don't take anyone elses word for anything. Way too many people do, and no offense, but I think you are taking other peoples word for things regarding Ventrillo. The only thing I take as a fact is something that I prove to myself, and thats how everyone should be. And I prove daily to myself that on my particular OS and system configuration, teamspeak runs smoother on both the server and the client side.

You can argue it all you want, but as i stated....I only believe what I prove to myself.

jernau
03-03-04, 05:10
Skipping the weenie rhetoric.....

I'm not going to waste my time re-installing Linux just to test it myself so I'll take your word that on YOUR system there are some issues with Ventrilo.

As I said earlier I don't care about the looks. I run the Ventrilo server as a service so it's command line controlled and I can't see the client most of the time because I'm in-game or whatever. In fact one of my pet peevs with the TS Client is that I always seem to have to have the damn thing up for one reason or another.

It seems we do agree on something though - I hate taking other people's words for things too. That's why I am so sure Ventrilo beats TS, at least on Windows platforms.

Rieper
03-03-04, 05:16
i have no pref either way :) im sure you're gonna argue over this for ages tho, lol

at least we can agree that Q3 > UT tho eh? :p

g0rt
03-03-04, 05:37
Originally posted by Rieper
i have no pref either way :) im sure you're gonna argue over this for ages tho, lol

at least we can agree that Q3 > UT tho eh? :p

Can definately agree to that :D Even though I feel the quake series went downhill BIGTIME after the original, ill still always be supporting ID software, because in my opinion Quake was the best FPS ever made and still is.

Maybe its all about preference, frankly I don't care...im gonna use what works best for me, and thats TS...if someone can prove to me that ventrillo is better, ill switch to it in a second....but no one can because ive personally proved otherwise.

I think its just a classic case of taking everyones word for it. A few people said ventrillo is best, ok thats the new bandwagon. Im sorry but I use teamspeak and it works better for me. If its not broken, don't fix it...

Delloda
03-03-04, 06:32
Originally posted by dr.fish
i hate that damn robot voice in ventrilo, teamspeak is da win

You can switch the voice off or you can change the voice in vent....i use a female voice (microsoft mary). :)

athon
03-03-04, 13:46
Can definately agree to that :D Even though I feel the quake series went downhill BIGTIME after the original, ill still always be supporting ID software, because in my opinion Quake was the best FPS ever made and still is.

Maybe its all about preference, frankly I don't care...im gonna use what works best for me, and thats TS...if someone can prove to me that ventrillo is better, ill switch to it in a second....but no one can because ive personally proved otherwise.

I think its just a classic case of taking everyones word for it. A few people said ventrillo is best, ok thats the new bandwagon. Im sorry but I use teamspeak and it works better for me. If its not broken, don't fix it...

BWEEP BWEEP BWEEP! HIJACK!!! BWEEP BWEEP BWEEP!

Personally I disagree. Quake did start out good but went poor, while Epic, altho perhaps making a mistake with releasing UT2003 (IMO an incomplete UT2004, but still beat Quake III for gameplay IMO) are still devleoping their game - based on gameplay, rather than ID who, as far as I can tell, just try to draw ipressive graphics these days.

Meanwhile, ID have sold off the rights to some other compay to do Quake IV (which they orginally said was never going to happen anyway).

UT FOREVER!

Athon Solo

Bruce
03-03-04, 14:06
Dont use ventrillo, everyone sounds ****** on it:)

TS is far better in my opinion!

jernau
03-03-04, 14:09
Originally posted by Bruce
Dont use ventrillo, everyone sounds ****** on it:)

TS is far better in my opinion!

As someone said before they use the same codecs so that's all in your head.

IME Ventrilo does a better job of finding an optimal codec but your mileage may vary I suppose. TS has a habit of using too low a bit-rate IME.

Pwnage
03-03-04, 15:28
Roger Wilco > all

BURN!

Psyco Groupie
03-03-04, 15:31
Roger wilco got roger'd by gamespy and is therefore full of spyware bs :)