PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Stances

StryfeX
02-03-04, 08:38
Before I go to bed...

What would you all think about having weapon stances? Meaning that if you're holding a melee weapon, you would change into something like a "ready" stance. Or if you're holding a rifle, instead of keeping it down at your waist, you would always hold it at your shoulder. (Side note: Why the hell are plasma rifles waist-held weapons, anyway, even during firing? Shouldn't all rifles be shoulder-held?)

Just a little something to avoid the whole "draw weapon then stand around looking like I don't know how to use the thing" scenario.

Hell...move believable animations all around would be nice. Ah well.

--Stryfe

Scanner Darkly
02-03-04, 08:59
cant really argue with any of that, but until you mentioned it, its never really bothered me

KramerTheWeird
02-03-04, 09:04
When a weapon is fired it's put into ready position, as in rifles on shoulder and such. Some rifles are designed more like cannons such as rayguns so they aren't made to be braced at shoulder with.

StryfeX
02-03-04, 09:29
Originally posted by KramerTheWeird
When a weapon is fired it's put into ready position, as in rifles on shoulder and such. Some rifles are designed more like cannons such as rayguns so they aren't made to be braced at shoulder with. Maybe so, but to me it looks goofy as hell to be firing a weapon like a plasma rifle with a large amount of recoil from the hip. Hell, maybe they should just redesign the weapons so that they fit into their class more. I'd still like to see your character go into a "ready" stance as soon as the weapon is drawn. As many people are fond to point out, this is a cyberpunk atmosphere where you should be ready to defend yourself at all times. Now of course, I take this statement with a grain of salt, but it supports my opinion, so there. :p

--Stryfe

Lanigav
02-03-04, 09:55
Amen to that. 5 Stars.

I also think it'd be nifty if certain melee weapons used two hands instead of one (i.e. swords, long laserblades, and the baseball bat). Something with dual claws would be nice too. Show an attack animation that looks like two hits but still only have one damage hit like it is now, as if to say that's the total damage you've dealt for both hits.

Benjie
02-03-04, 09:56
More animations is a must.

5 stars

Estabin
02-03-04, 10:17
A prone position that when you use steadies your aim, but takes longer to get up, maybe even a low crawl and high crawl would be kinda neat.

StryfeX
02-03-04, 17:47
Originally posted by Estabin
A prone position that when you use steadies your aim, but takes longer to get up, maybe even a low crawl and high crawl would be kinda neat. That would be REALLY cool, but I fear it would take some (probably) pretty drastic changes to the engine to make. But that aside, a way to balance it would be so that you maybe take 2x melee damage when prone or something.

But I digress. :p

--Stryfe

Doc Holliday
02-03-04, 17:52
an idle and a ready stance with a drawn weapon would be cool. idle pistol could be swingin it or twirling it round like billy the kid where as ready can be one hand on the butt and one under it to support and aim proper. rifles the same pressed in to the shoulder when drawn and aiming at a person ready to fire. idle could be holding it down by your side by the barrel like an armed guard tho not as militaristic or simply resting on your shoulder sort of thing. hope i made it clear. as for cannons well it would have to be held cradled i guess but where in hell do u put a cannon anyways if u aint using it o_O :p

Psyco Groupie
02-03-04, 17:53
NC isnt an fps, these things shouldnt matter :/

gameplay gameplay gameplay

StryfeX
02-03-04, 18:17
Originally posted by Psyco Groupie

gameplay gameplay gameplay Oooo...kay. That was the most useless comment I've read from you so far. And that's saying a lot.

Besides, things like this *do* matter. These would be to add atmosphere to the game and, as I said before, stop the "I've just drawn my gun and now I'm standing around looking like a dolt who doesn't know how to use it" appearence. Not to mention they would add some "realism" to the animations that's been lacking thusfar.

--Stryfe

Organics
02-03-04, 18:23
Originally posted by StryfeX
Oooo...kay. That was the most useless comment I've read from you so far. And that's saying a lot.

Besides, things like this *do* matter. These would be to add atmosphere to the game and, as I said before, stop the "I've just drawn my gun and now I'm standing around looking like a dolt who doesn't know how to use it" appearence. Not to mention they would add some "realism" to the animations that's been lacking thusfar.

--Stryfe

I think maybe his point was that the matter of graphical effects / animations for whatever aren't really critical and that there are much more serious problems to deal with.

But then maybe not ;)

SigmaDraconis
02-03-04, 18:25

no its an RPG/FPS... and good animations can add alot to an RPG and an FPS, besides weapon stances are only part of the picture, as he said "Hell...move believable animations all around would be nice."

Sorontar
02-03-04, 19:16

Surely its BECAUSE Neocron isn't JUST a pure FPS and is meant to be a wholly immersive MMORPG that it SHOULD have these animations. Hence heightening the level of reality it creates.

And in answer to "where do you keep a cannon when you're not using it "

Up your arse according to Neocron:p

Psyco Groupie
02-03-04, 19:18
Originally posted by StryfeX
Oooo...kay. That was the most useless comment I've read from you so far. And that's saying a lot.

--Stryfe

its my opinion.

Scikar
02-03-04, 19:38
Ready stances are in for pistols, PSI modules, and rifles. The ready 'state' carries over regardless of the weapon drawn - so if you cast a heal on yourself then switch to a pistol it will be in the ready position. APU modules use the pistol animations, but without the pistols. :p

Assault rifles, shotguns, fusion rifles, and I think sniper rifles move to the ready position, but rayguns, laser rifles and plasma rifles do not. The rayguns I can understand. the plasma rifles however I think should move up. I'm not sure what could be done about the ready stance but when I'm in combat on my rifle PE, say hunting for enemies, I'd prefer to keep the gun on my shoulder. :p

Melee weapons have a stance which is activated as soon as you draw them, the stance seems fixed though, the top half of a melee tank's body stays fixed solid until he swings.

And Psyco, if gameplay was everything and this stuff didn't matter, NC would have sprites instead of 3D models.

Zanathos
02-03-04, 19:49
It would add a whole lot more of a tactical element to this game if vegetation was ALWAYS on (and gave stable frame rates) and you allowed us to go into a prone position.

This game as it is, is rather bland, the only thing that keeps me going right now is the clan interactions.

Theres a lack of sounds, animations, OP tatics, decent music in this game.

Maybe this will change in BDoY, maybe not.