PDA

View Full Version : How would you revitalize the Neo economy?

RayBob
02-03-04, 08:03
I think Neocron would be more fun if money really meant something. Sure, you still see plenty of people begging for money but it's nothing like it used to be. I remember saving up to buy a Motoric 3 for a whopping 100K. Now I have more than 70 million. :rolleyes:

There have been many suggestions to add new money sinks to the game but none of them will solve the problem of how money is created in the first place. I think the main culprit is the bottomless pit of troopers than can easily be built and sold by the hundreds for 10s of millions with a high level barterer. Should the barter skill be eliminated? Should they make vehicle components un-BPable?

-FN-
02-03-04, 08:11
I don't think the problem is with the items in game, or what we can do with them. I think the main problem is the unlimited and unrealistic unavailability of cash is the problem. Make money a limited and tangible thing.

Tie all Yo's vendors together into one cash pool.
Tie all Yakarma vendors together into one cash pool.
Tie all HEW vendors together into one cash pool.
Tie all Cryton's vendors together into one cash pool.
Tie all the NEXT shop vendors into one cash pool.
Tie all the DRE shop vendors into one cash pool.

You get the idea.

Whenever something is bought from them, they get that money and it goes into their company's pool. When you sell something to them, it gets taken from their company's pool.

If I want to sell my batch of 100 ATC keys, I can only sell as much as the vendor's company/faction has "in their pocket". If they can't afford to buy my keys, I'm shit out of luck. Maybe you can sell 10 or 20. Might have to wait a few days... Looks like the market needs some more spending.

Each week a vendors budget would get in influx of cash to take them back to their starting mark, or a variable amount, I'm not really sure how that would work. It would need to be analyzed to gauge how much to add each week.

Nobody would ever be denied the ability to buy something, and it would be encouraged to help the NPC economy. However, selling ATC keys, selling batches of spells, or anything else for cash, would no longer come from a magical well of unlimited cash.

There were more details to this idea when I thought of it, but I didn't post it right away because I suck and that's all I can remember right now...

greploco
02-03-04, 08:15
part of doy will be player shops that allow the listing of items at prices people set

there will be plenty of money moving around then, but not necesarily any of it leaving - just trading hands

the biggest sink in the game is starting a new char, as far as I can tell

anyway

it's all relative -- until you have a barter char it's still hard to make money. I know, you can do the vehicle 10 thing and use someone elses barter -- but it still takes work and time, it's still slow. without a barter char, there just isn't that much money, I think people forget that.

MortuusLupus
02-03-04, 08:47
Tax rebate, works like a charm

Lanigav
02-03-04, 09:03
Have an NPC that'll give you a totally random tech part for around 75k-100k.

extract
02-03-04, 09:11
Originally posted by Lanigav
Have an NPC that'll give you a totally random tech part for around 75k-100k.

i likes that idea

g0rt
02-03-04, 09:19
no safe slot

no belt to hack

item drops to the floor and decays if not picked up

rares circulate

using high slotted rares is an actual RISK

yes!

Lanigav
02-03-04, 09:21
And all players that aren't ridiculously rich or well connected will never engage in PvP again, or just flat out leave the game.

IceStorm
02-03-04, 09:22
There's nothing wrong with the economy. Rares and their parts are traded and dealt with in barter fashion. More available parts are dealt with in money.

What's the problem?

Lanigav
02-03-04, 09:37
People want something to spend their ginormous money reserves on something other than common tech parts, ammo, implants, and armor.

IceStorm
02-03-04, 09:44
How does being bored with what to buy mean the economy has a problem?

DoY's coming. Hold onto your cash, you're gonna need it.

Lanigav
02-03-04, 09:52
Well, I guess they should've been more specific in saying that they're referring to the high-upper class economy. ;)

g0rt
02-03-04, 09:57
And all players that aren't ridiculously rich or well connected will never engage in PvP again, or just flat out leave the game.

Nah UO had full drop for years and was fine and dandy.

What people don't understand is yeah one day you might lose a nice weapon but the next day you'll gain one, its a circle u lose a bunch and u gain a bunch.

But at least pvp is fun. You have something to lose, and if you win, you have something to gain. Right now no one gives a fuck if they die, what u gonna lose some psi booster or medkit? Who gives a shit....

The only people that are scared to die are PPU's because they usually have alot of really good, tough to replace stuff on them. Everyone should be scared to die and happy to win a fight.

Right now who cares if you win - you get nothing. Who care sif you lose - you lose nothing..

Poor pvp loot system atm.

Benjie
02-03-04, 10:01
CHARGE PEOPLE FOR USING THE OUTFITTER!

w00t!

:)

Carinth
02-03-04, 10:04
I would have a player wipe ; D Throw out the trash and start fresh!

g0rt
02-03-04, 10:08
Originally posted by Carinth
I would have a player wipe ; D Throw out the trash and start fresh!

yes throw out my main chars items that have taken me 8 months to aquire....

5slot silenced/laserpointer duel ammo mod 120 all liberator
5slot laserpointer duel ammo mod 120 all judge
5slot laserpointed duel ammo mod 120 all rolh
5slot laserpointer/silenced/flashlight duel ammo mod artifact wyatt earp
5slot ultimated blacksun

this shit honestly took me MONTHS and MONTHS to achieve, build after build coming out 0-4slots. i just finished the collection about a month ago...and now wipe it?

nah....it wont go over well.

you wanna clean up a game? ill tell you how other games did it, and it worked fantastic. make some rare items that are cool and desirable, but wont unbalance things. then make a "garbage bin" that players can throw thier junk into. depending on the worth of thier junk, they get "points" or "tokens". these points or tokens can later be turned into items, the more u get, the better items you can get. and if these items are good, let me assure you that players will be cleaning out EVERYTHING to dump shit in there and get thier hands on some of htese items.

its worked before, i dont see why it wont in neocron.

Original monk
02-03-04, 10:30
sellparts from a vendingmachine ... like said before

remove all slotenhacerparts out of the rarepool and sell slotenhacer in yo's (like in beta) slotenhacer 0.9 -> 100k 1.5 -> 300k illegal -> 600K, maybe even raise the price a bit more for them barters :)

Sleawer
02-03-04, 11:07
A good way to stabilize the economy is introducing small desirable money sinks. That's the idea in the consumerism societies, the person is exploited as an acquisitive individual, but the goals of this consumerism have to be achievable by all persons.

A good variety of decorative elements for our appartments, a good clothing system, improvements for our vehicles, leisure products, gambling, sex for hire, make drugs viable and 'addictive', etc...

These things with prices ranged between 5k and 500k as much will make people to spend their money constantly, this would benefit the rich and the poor as everyone can buy these products (they are at everyone's reaching); the ammount of money per capita would be reduced and we would value again small cuantities, which leads us to sell our products and our services at lesser price.

Also what g0rt said is quite true, the rare pool is overloaded with too many unused rares, rares that do not circulate and are stacked in our cabinets and appartaments just because we never lose them.

Dead Bodies
02-03-04, 12:14
Originally posted by extract
i likes that idea

I like it alot

Carinth
02-03-04, 22:38
Originally posted by g0rt
yes throw out my main chars items that have taken me 8 months to aquire....

5slot silenced/laserpointer duel ammo mod 120 all liberator
5slot laserpointer duel ammo mod 120 all judge
5slot laserpointed duel ammo mod 120 all rolh
5slot laserpointer/silenced/flashlight duel ammo mod artifact wyatt earp
5slot ultimated blacksun

this shit honestly took me MONTHS and MONTHS to achieve, build after build coming out 0-4slots. i just finished the collection about a month ago...and now wipe it?

nah....it wont go over well.

you wanna clean up a game? ill tell you how other games did it, and it worked fantastic. make some rare items that are cool and desirable, but wont unbalance things. then make a "garbage bin" that players can throw thier junk into. depending on the worth of thier junk, they get "points" or "tokens". these points or tokens can later be turned into items, the more u get, the better items you can get. and if these items are good, let me assure you that players will be cleaning out EVERYTHING to dump shit in there and get thier hands on some of htese items.

its worked before, i dont see why it wont in neocron.

Yea and I havn't spent a year and a half working to where my character is today. I don't have 20 some apartments with equipment/rares/stuff. It's not a matter of how much work you put into the game, it's what you enjoy in games in general. I'm evidently part of the minority which likes a challenge and likes working towards a set goal. Though leveling is a chore, you have a defined reward system to keep it interesting. If you just stay an hour longer you'll get a psi level and be able to use a much better spell! That's a core part of most rpg's, leveling doesn't hafta be a chore. Neocron is a mix of players who hate leveling/only value the endgame and players who value the entire game. I feel sorry for those that only find enjoyment after they've capped. Some of the most fun I've had in this game was before I ever capped. There are so many things a non capped character can do that make the game more interesting. Money is actualy valuable, rares are valuable, getting your first CS actualy means something. Even before rares, there is a whole array of midlevel weapons that are actualy useful. Instead now the only useful equipment is rares/high end. Whole zones and areas of the game open up as places you'd want to visit. Presently you'd have no reason to ever go there. Like when was the last time you took a stroll in Outzone? Yea you're right that this wouldn't go over well, but that's not the point of this thread. It's just what you think would help/fix the economy. Regardless of what is done, I believe a wipe would be necessary.

Jaenus
02-03-04, 23:13
Just a quick idea but how about making it so item parts aren't researchable anymore.

I can already hear yells from the researchers but it would mean you would have to either save up all those item parts you discard from mobs OR buy them. This would also cut back slightly on the APC sellers making millions at a time.

g0rt
03-03-04, 00:11
Originally posted by Carinth
Yea and I havn't spent a year and a half working to where my character is today. I don't have 20 some apartments with equipment/rares/stuff. It's not a matter of how much work you put into the game, it's what you enjoy in games in general. I'm evidently part of the minority which likes a challenge and likes working towards a set goal. Though leveling is a chore, you have a defined reward system to keep it interesting. If you just stay an hour longer you'll get a psi level and be able to use a much better spell! That's a core part of most rpg's, leveling doesn't hafta be a chore. Neocron is a mix of players who hate leveling/only value the endgame and players who value the entire game. I feel sorry for those that only find enjoyment after they've capped. Some of the most fun I've had in this game was before I ever capped. There are so many things a non capped character can do that make the game more interesting. Money is actualy valuable, rares are valuable, getting your first CS actualy means something. Even before rares, there is a whole array of midlevel weapons that are actualy useful. Instead now the only useful equipment is rares/high end. Whole zones and areas of the game open up as places you'd want to visit. Presently you'd have no reason to ever go there. Like when was the last time you took a stroll in Outzone? Yea you're right that this wouldn't go over well, but that's not the point of this thread. It's just what you think would help/fix the economy. Regardless of what is done, I believe a wipe would be necessary.

Necessary if you wanna have half the people playing this game leave, yeh.

ServeX
03-03-04, 00:34
Originally posted by g0rt
no safe slot

no belt to hack

item drops to the floor and decays if not picked up

rares circulate

using high slotted rares is an actual RISK

yes!

sorry man, but I'm completely against that.

g0rt
03-03-04, 00:46
Originally posted by ServeX
sorry man, but I'm completely against that.

Yeah np, most people are....until you have played UO and seen first hand how much more fun PVP is when theres something to gain and something to loose, you wont understand.

Organics
03-03-04, 00:49
I agree with you g0rt, but I doubt it'll ever happen.

Simply because in UO it was far far FAR easier to get hold of decent weapons, and they weren't expensive. A GM hally or GM axe or similar was easily enough for PvP or monster hunting, there isn't the variation of weapon types in UO that there is in NC. Also the amount of component parts required for certain weapons would make people insanely angry when they lost it because of the amount of time it took to get it together.

Power weapons and below in UO were easy as hell to find, the only ones that weren't really easy was the Vanquishing weapons. And with the weapons, it was point and buy. No slots, and much easier to get top end (GM) weapons than it is in NC.

I'd like to see your idea in action, I think the pool that currently resides would be circulated alot more. But they won't do it.

Organics
03-03-04, 01:07
Oh yeah, forgot to mention.

Hopefully when vendors are implemented it'll make it easier to get decent weapons, then the full loot thing might get in later.

Can hope :)

-FN-
03-03-04, 01:09
*tear* nobody likes my idea *cries*

Screw you guys, I'm makin my own thead :p

Shadow Dancer
03-03-04, 01:13
I got an idea. Let's have a player wipe. And all the players who were in favor of a wipe, can regain all the XP and equipment of their char AND the char of those who were against a wipe.

That way the selfish "let's wipe everyone" players get what they want, and the other players don't have to do that boring ass shit again.

Sounds good to me.

C - Lo
03-03-04, 01:19
I think they should sell ridable horses. The fastest horse could cost about 100k platinum, and the slowest could be around 10k plat.

RayBob
03-03-04, 01:33
Have an NPC that'll give you a totally random tech part for around 75k-100k. I suggested this once. It would be similar to the gambling for rares in games like Diablo 2. But like I said in my original post, the problem is NOT money sinks, it is the fact that money can essentially be printed by a small team of tradeskillers.

Don't get me wrong, new money sink ideas like this are great but only if the source of new money is controlled. I think that if you spend a lot of time hunting mobs and collect lots of vehicle comp 10s which you have built into troopers, then you deserve to make good money by having a barterer sell them for you. But they should not be BPable.

Ray