PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I play Single Player games anymore?

Benjie
01-03-04, 10:41
I keep looking at my Games Box. I look longingly at Ultima 9: Accension, Jagged Allience 2, Divine Divinity, Warcraft 3, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics. Occasionally I pick them up, but I find thats as far as I go.

I have been playing single player games like Dungeon Master, Monkey Island, Escape from the planet of the Robot Monsters, Megalomaniac, and Jet Set Willy since I was young. Why can't I play them anymore?

Is it because I'm shallow and most of my favoraite games are now old? Or is it because of Online games like Neocron?

Curses Neocron! You've destroyed my gaming soul!

They need to invent Gaming Psychiatrists for conditions like this.

Anybody else suffer from these symptoms, or is it just me?

sparrowtm
01-03-04, 10:43
No, you are definetely not alone. It seems we share the love for the classics .. and I would want to play a single player game again.

BUT I CAN'T! I'm getting bored after a couple o' hours and connect to some online game again :(

Lucid Dream
01-03-04, 10:48
I bought socom, ffx-2, and xenosaga, and played them all once, then never touched them again. I really liked xenosaga, it was fun, and i loved the visuals, really want to finish it, but dont especially want to go play it ever. Not sure why.

Benjie
01-03-04, 10:49
Originally posted by Lucid Dream
I bought socom, ffx-2, and xenosaga,
Are those all single player games?
I thought FFX-2 was an mmorpg.

Lucid Dream
01-03-04, 10:52
Eh, socom is technically a multiplayer game, but i never got the network adapter, so only played it singleplayer the one time i played. and no, ffx-2 is a single player, ffxi was a multiplayer.

Glok
01-03-04, 10:58
I miss Morrowind and SS2 sorely, I got DX2 and played it for 5 minutes, Alpha Centauri and Sim City 3k haven't been touched in ages.

The problem is, whenever I feel like playing something, it's always Neocron. :confused:

God forbid KK ever drop this game. I'll be completely lost.

Lucjan
01-03-04, 11:10
Same problem here. I think the source of the problem is: there is no point in playing a single player game as you know it will end sooner or later and thats it. On the other hand you have MMORPGs where there is no end in sight...getting used to that makes playing single player games kinda dull.

For me that was the reason to stop playing cRPGs entirely. I get them, I "look" into them, but dont actually play them :(

Scikar
01-03-04, 11:11
We need MMOSPGs! :p

Lucid Dream
01-03-04, 11:12
Originally posted by Scikar
We need MMOSPGs! :p

.hack =)

extract
01-03-04, 11:16
go play some soldier of fortune......just the fact that you can literally blow limbs and heads off with certain weapons deserves a few hours of gameplay a week.........

dem0n
01-03-04, 11:18
it's because of Neocron I say!

I've stopped playing Fallout/2/Tactics since I got Neocron, it's official... a new kind of sickness. I ask myself? Why can't I play Shadowmaster/Quake/Doom anymore? WTF happened to my keyboard aiming... it's all cause of Neocron. I used to spend 3h a day atleast, reading professional literature and programming... and now look at me, 140H of Neocron per month. I hope my credit card gets cancled so I can get back to normal living.

suler
01-03-04, 11:22
uh anybody would be bored of the same old games.

Elric
01-03-04, 11:43
Got the same problem.

Find myself having difficulty playing single player games and even online shooters n stuff.

Theyt just feel too lonely. NC has lots of friends and people to talk to.

Most shooters, you just go on, frag a few random people. and thats it. At least in NC you can listen to the comical bitching on trade or have a good laugh with friends (or just frag each other:D).

deac
01-03-04, 11:55
Originally posted by Elric
Got the same problem.

Find myself having difficulty playing single player games and even online shooters n stuff.

Theyt just feel too lonely. NC has lots of friends and people to talk to.

Most shooters, you just go on, frag a few random people. and thats it. At least in NC you can listen to the comical bitching on trade or have a good laugh with friends (or just frag each other:D).

yea same with me, i just force my self to play single player games again... i just dont see the point... :(

then again kotor did entertain me a bit

GambitFlame
01-03-04, 11:58
Just reinstalled the original C&C on my old PC

ahh beautiful nostalgia :)

ResurgencE
01-03-04, 12:00
Precisely. Thats what single player games are missing.

...The human element.

Once you get used to multiplayer, single-player seems superficial, no matter how good the AI and storyline is. I only managed to play games like MOHAA, Max Payne 2, POP: The Sands of Time, et al, halfway through despite the fact that they were very intricate and interesting, because at the end of the day...the characters in-game arent real. Killing an NPC is hardly as gratifying as killing a human-controlled character. And theres nothing like having a human ally by your side in a game.

Once you get a taste of MMO gaming, you're never going back. So essentially, we're screwed.

(Waddles off to log in and level).

numb
01-03-04, 12:10
I've gone back :) I think there is far more story content in single player games than mmorpgs - and when I play a RPG, I can pretend the NPCs are real characters in the world and not just some computer generated person - in fact I cant really see the point in playing RPGs if you dont. Anything else would be treating the rpg like a shooter and most rpgs are substandard shooters at that.

Also, do you actually own a steering wheel? Have you played NFS:Underground?! You cant do that on a mmorpg.

I know what people are saying, almost all the games I've played since 1996 have been online multiplayer (from quake onwards) but there really are a lot of good single player games if you can spend the time to get into one. It's a bit like reading a book I guess, it takes a while before you get to the point where you dont want to put it down.

Benjie
01-03-04, 13:12
Originally posted by suler
uh anybody would be bored of the same old games.
Not Fallout 2, or Jagged Allience 2. I should NEVER have got bored of those. I am convinced that if it wasn't for Neocron I would probabally be playing Fallout 2 for the fiftyeth time.

It's like this. I was still playing DUNGEON MASTER (ffs) untill I started playing Neocron. Now I have just stopped playing single player games completely.

On the up side, after making this thread I loaded up Ultima 9: Accension. Damn that game is good, except for the engine. Which is horrid. (Kinda like Neocron in that aspect.)

ResurgencE
01-03-04, 13:16
Heh. Looks like we have an exception here. :)

Its been the other way around for me. In my case, the book started off interesting, and eventually died out, instead of starting out boring and then evolving into something interesting.

Unfortunately, the l'il experiment ended up costing me a fortune, since i have over 30 titles ive barely completed the first few levels of. Others, as i mentioned, i played mid-way and then gave up on.

Now i ensure that whichever title i buy has a 'Multiplayer included' tag at the bottom.

nd when I play a RPG, I can pretend the NPCs are real characters in the world and not just some computer generated person

Say, thats precisely what i do. Cant wait to try the single-player of HL2 and live the life of Gordon Freeman again. :D

Sleawer
01-03-04, 13:20
I've been playing Max Payne2 lately, got past the three difficulty levels in 4 days :p

I still love single player games, it just depends on how you take your gamming.

Also have been playing BG-2 again with weiDU mods (tactics, ease, ascension and npc's), that also helps, making harder those games that you already played, and a bit different.

My next two games are going to be JK Academy and KotOR (still haven't played them lol).

Benjie
01-03-04, 13:21
I have a question; What Single Player games are people looking forward to?

I am looking forward to Beyond Divinity. Thats about it, other than the obvious Halo 2, Half Life 2, and Doom 3 combo. :rolleyes:

*edit*

Originally posted by Sleawer
My next two games are going to be JK The Academy and KotOR (still haven't played them lol).
KotOR is great! The plot development is awesome. I forgot all about that one.

sparrowtm
01-03-04, 13:23
Looking for?

Civilization 4.
The Movies.
Baldurs Gate 3.
Sam & Max 2.

Stuff like that.

Sleawer
01-03-04, 13:23
I'm looking forward Vampire: Bloodlines (next of the Masquerade Redemption saga), but still will take a while until it's released.

/edit: Don't think we get a BG3 :(

ResurgencE
01-03-04, 13:42
Hmm...I have the CD of KOTOR conveniently stashed at the foot of my cpu. Another game i bought but didnt even try. But since you guys say its got a good story (and lets face it, most of our community members enjoy a good background storyline to keep them going), i think im definitely gonna give it a shot.

As for the games im anticipating, there are quite a few.

MxO = Too bad about the Ubisoft fiasco. Some folks are of the opinion that the game's better off without them, though. I just hope the release date isnt delayed.

Face of Mankind = Prolly just try it out. Not pinning my hopes on that one just yet, but ill certainly be looking into it.

Vampires 2: Bloodlines = Prior to Neocron, it's predecessor was one of the single-player RPGs i managed to finish. A tad cheesy in the plot-line, but enjoyable nevertheless.

HL2/Doom3: Doh.

Sims 2: Ive only tried the original so far. Was pretty addictive back then, though i must've only played it for 3 weeks before stashing it. The graphics engine in the newest release will receive a major overhaul, and im curious to see the new changes which will be implemented. Though i must admit, it'll be more of a desire to collect games which will drive me to buying it, because at the end of the day, i need some PvP. :D

Recently, i had posted a few questions regarding SWG because i had trouble accessing their forums, and everyone jumped to the conclusion that i was advertising another game and thinking of leaving this one. Before those select few jump the gun again, i'd like them to realise that i didnt level 5 characters and amass all those items just to throw it all away, either by selling them, or letting my account simply expire.

Im an avid NC fan, and will continue to play it, even with the advent of the aforementioned titles in the near future. ;)

GT_Rince
01-03-04, 13:46
(or just frag each other:D).

Yeah! Where you play hunting in TG, then fire an AoE and hit guards, then die for your trouble ;)

MortuusLupus
01-03-04, 13:46
Someone needs to develop some kind of selective memory loss pill, that way you could forget everything about a game you just played. Endless replayability! On numerous occasions I've wished to have forgotten all about System Shock 2 so that I could go through and have the poop scared out of me all over again.

Maybe someone could make some kind of special seizure flash at the end of a game that would kill off all recent neural connections...actually, that's not a bad idea! "I'm sorry honey, I forgot our anniversary but it's not my fault, it was the game!"

Elric
01-03-04, 13:51
Originally posted by GT_Rince
Yeah! Where you play hunting in TG, then fire an AoE and hit guards, then die for your trouble ;)

:lol:

So dont be a stealth whore and make me shoot aoe then :p

oh yeah, thats right, you drop in 2 cs bursts, har har :D

bloody snipers... grmble grmble...

Sleawer
01-03-04, 13:54
I am 24 years old now, and I remember being a kid (~12?) when I first played SS1 and finished it. Never played SS2 tho, but seems one of those games that guarantees adiction.

There are a lot of games I've never played I'm afraid, my life diverted completely from computers shortly after that period and missed them all.

/edit: yea those pills would be awesome hehe

Doc Holliday
01-03-04, 16:17
jagged alliance 2. rawr. fuckin great fun. i still play it when i need a break from nc. finished max payne. i play it now for pure kicks. choose a level etc and run through it and try and do some mad moves like somethin out of a john woo movie. i downloaded ut2k4 demo last week some time. i tried one level of bots on each map to get a feel and went online straight away. its true nothing comes close to the actual feeling of beating someone one vs one. thats why we are all fucked and wont play single player games anymore. oh and if anyone is reading this i think a multiplayer version of max payne should be made. a mod an add on what ever. use existing skins and play it like goldeneye on the n64. winning recipe.

metalangel
01-03-04, 16:27
I used to play Warbirds (online WW2 flight sim) and I used to get both social interaction and solitary play... because I flew the B17. So I'd have a slow climb on autopilot up to altitude on the way to the target, sitting in the nose watching the scenery go by and chattering away to ppl... then a quick flick onto the bomb run, bombs away, fly outta danger, and chatter away until I reached home :D

It was an eye-opening experience. And I can't count the number of times in NC I've just stood and talked to ppl without doing anything.

Psyco Groupie
01-03-04, 16:31
Originally posted by metalangel
I used to play Warbirds (online WW2 flight sim) and I used to get both social interaction and solitary play... because I flew the B17. So I'd have a slow climb on autopilot up to altitude on the way to the target, sitting in the nose watching the scenery go by and chattering away to ppl... then a quick flick onto the bomb run, bombs away, fly outta danger, and chatter away until I reached home :D

It was an eye-opening experience. And I can't count the number of times in NC I've just stood and talked to ppl without doing anything.

Im the opposite, im chatting away in buddy and someone says "hey waht you doing" and i'll say "farming techs or soloing CC" .. always seems to suprise people that your actually leveling/hunting and talking .. heh

Benjie
01-03-04, 18:27
I've started playing Ultima 9 hardcore now. I just got the Glyph from Dungeon of Despise, but I can't find the stupid Blue Gem.:mad: This woman spoke to me as I came out of dispise but I told her to go away. I guess I am supposed to talk to her about something?

Anyway, I'm proud of myself. I might go and play Fallout 2 soon. :)

Zanathos
01-03-04, 21:43
I enjoy a good single player game but after ive played it twice or so, I have no reason to play it anymore.

Call of Duty, Breath taking single player experience (I still love it) crappy multiplayer

got bored of KOTOR eventually, I was origianlly kinda hoping it would be like jedi knight jedi academy with real time light saber battles. I beat the game though.

I have few single player games.

Unreal II was kewl to play twice, now its boring.

But ill prolly load up unreal II again when i get a new and better computer as the one I got right now isnt nessesarily good enough but its playable on it.

suler
01-03-04, 21:50
I've never been able to play a game more then once but maybe that's just me. I've never watched a movie or read a book more then once either.

Lethys
01-03-04, 21:57
Since I started playing NC, FFXI, UT, R6 etc I no longer see much point in playing single player games. I'm counting on Fable to change that (if it ever gets released :rolleyes: )

Benjie
02-03-04, 01:37
Originally posted by Lethys
Since I started playing NC, FFXI, UT, R6 etc I no longer see much point in playing single player games. I'm counting on Fable to change that (if it ever gets released :rolleyes: )
Fable looks amazing. I'm looking forward to that one loads too.

Elric
02-03-04, 02:37
Soon to be released FarCry is looking exceptionally promising also :)

rob444
02-03-04, 02:45
Play the latest broken sword game, great singleplayer game. It's really great.

Valkyrie
02-03-04, 02:49
I can onlly play single player games If they have atmosphere. I can play Deus Ex endlessly, and just finished kotor.

It depends on me mood really :)

Glok
02-03-04, 02:54
Soon to be released FarCry is looking exceptionally promising also :) The Far Cry demo SO rocks. Good god I hope there is more of the same when it goes gold. 8|

Benjie
02-03-04, 02:58
Originally posted by Glok
The Far Cry demo SO rocks. Good god I hope there is more of the same when it goes gold. 8|
cool. I'm downloading it now. :cool:

Elric
02-03-04, 02:59
The Far Cry demo SO rocks. Good god I hope there is more of the same when it goes gold. 8|

more of the same and then some...

Read some previews.. its gonna be.. amazing...

rob444
02-03-04, 03:06
I've heard from the betatesters that the multiplayer maps are very small and not like the singleplayer map where you can run everywhere on the map and snipe from the jungle. Which is pretty sad because thats what I want to do :/

Elric
02-03-04, 03:09
meh, im in it for the Single player end to be honest. Multiplayer will be the usual. Fun for a couple of hours / days, then boring stagnant and full of idiots and overpowered weapons.

hang on a sec....

Glok
02-03-04, 03:15
Originally posted by Benjie
cool. I'm downloading it now. :cool: I hope you have a beefy comp Benjie. It is rather, um, resource intensive. ;)

rob444
02-03-04, 03:18
Hehe, I have to lower my texture quality to lowest to be able to get average performance. Those polybumps are evil

Elric
02-03-04, 03:20
Originally posted by rob444
Hehe, I have to lower my texture quality to lowest to be able to get average performance. Those polybumps are evil

BUT THEY LOOK SOOOOO GOOD!

Had it running on top quality for a laugh, looked thoroughly amazing, shame it was only running at about 6 fps ! :lol:

Benjie
02-03-04, 03:20
I hope you have a beefy comp Benjie. It is rather, um, resource intensive. ;)
Oooh.

2 ghz Athlon XP
512 ddr Ram
Gforce 3 128mb (one of the high end Gforce 3's)
Mouse/Keyboard/Broken CDrom drive (meh)

Should that be okay?

Elric
02-03-04, 03:21
bwhahahahahaha

No chance Benji (well, probably on low settings) :p

Benjie
02-03-04, 03:26
bwhahahahahaha

No chance Benji (well, probably on low settings) :p

Minimum: (Single Player Demo)
Computer: 1 Go MHz CPU
Memory: 256 MB RAM
Operating System: Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
Video Card: Geforce 4 MX, Geforce 3 or higher
Drive Space: 582 hard drive space
DirectX 9.0b must be installed
Nvidia based cards must have : ForceWare drivers 53.03
ATI based cards must have: Catalyst drivers 3.9
Recommended: (Single Player Demo)

Computer: 2Go MHz CPU
Memory: 512 MB RAM
DirectX 9.0b must be installed
Nvidia based cards must have : ForceWare drivers 53.03
ATI based cards must have: Catalyst drivers 3.9
Required Operating Systems: Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, and Windows XP

I meet all the recomended requirements except for 3D card which is minimum. Sux. Oh well I'll still download it.

I guess you could say I have a Far Cry from being able to run it smoothly. o_O :lol: - ok that was a bad joke.

rob444
02-03-04, 03:27
6 fps?! Wow thats like MUCH! I had like 1-5 max o_O

the machine I was on then was:

T-bird 1,4 GHZ (amd sucks, yes it does, dont say it dont!)
1024 MB DDR
3D Prophet III Geforce 3 64mb DDR with latest nvidia drivers

Elric
02-03-04, 03:28
meh, go for it. Just remember the code isnt optimised in the demo and performanxce will probably be a little improved come retail time.

However, with yer GFX card, its probably going to be the biggest limiter. Low to medium settings and hopefully you'll get a good shot at it.

Benjie
02-03-04, 05:59
Finished downloading Farcry.

I can run it on all Medium with awesome FPS.

It seems like a good game.

Shadow Dancer
02-03-04, 06:00
I recently played Castlevania, Lament of Innocence for PS2.

It pwnd. I had so much fun with it. :angel:

suler
02-03-04, 06:02
I think co-op type 2 player games are the funnest, then vs 2 player games would be second.

ServeX
02-03-04, 06:04
only single player games which I've enjoyed since starting to play MMO's are:
*SW:KOTOR
*SW: Jedi Academy - Single player
*Deus-Ex: Invisible War (Very fun imo, although I know it didn't get rave reviews from everyone)
*GTA: Vice City
*Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne